ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 16th November 2018, 02:59 PM   #41
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
As with the Golf Club, a former member could still be allowed to park in the Golf Club forecourt as long as he is not taking the p!ss.
I would have thought that's exactly the thing a former member wouldn't be allowed to do. And it wouldn't be unreasonable of the golf club to charge him for parking there, and to continue doing so indefinitely if he continued to park there.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:21 PM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just watched an interview with Jacob Rees Mogg.
Is this guy for real?????????
He seems to want to go back to the good old days when all the peasents doffed their caps to the local aristocate, and the inferior classes knew their place....
And he want to be Prime Minister?
If he makes it, then you Brits lose all rights to poke fun at us Yanks for electing Trump.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:29 PM   #43
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He seems to want to go back to the good old days when all the peasents doffed their caps to the local aristocate, and the inferior classes knew their place....
If he makes it, then you Brits lose all rights to poke fun at us Yanks for electing Trump.....
He doesn't want to be Prime Minister. For all JRM's faults he's not stupid enough to want that gig while Brexit is being negotiated. He much prefers huffing and puffing about sell outs from the sidelines without having to take any responsibility for anything.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:54 PM   #44
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
He doesn't want to be Prime Minister. For all JRM's faults he's not stupid enough to want that gig while Brexit is being negotiated. He much prefers huffing and puffing about sell outs from the sidelines without having to take any responsibility for anything.
He does want to be PM but not until after Brexit has played out.
If it goes well he claims it was because of him. If it goes badly he claims it was because of May.
he get the best of it both ways.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 04:01 PM   #45
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If it goes well he claims it was because of him. If it goes badly he claims it was because of May.
I really don't think JRM will ever be PM.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 04:06 PM   #46
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Neither do I but that won't stop him trying.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 04:52 PM   #47
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I really, really hope that you're right!
Old 16th November 2018, 07:24 PM   #48
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I get that when one leaves the Golf Club, you should no longer expect to enjoy its benefits.

However, in the unique case of the UK, there is a Good Friday Agreement in place in respect of Northern Ireland and its borders. The EU know that the unionists don't want to interfere with this sensitive issue, and of course the intention is not to let goods and terrorists (the Manchester bomber came to England via Dublin and crossed the border that way) evade the customs and border checks.

It's not reasonable to tie the UK to the EU for an indefinite spell because of this unique political issue.

As with the Golf Club, a former member could still be allowed to park in the Golf Club forecourt as long as he is not taking the p!ss.

Why isn't something which is unique to the UK a problem which the UK needs to deal with on its own? They certainly were aware of it before they triggered Brexit.

How is it the EU's problem to solve?

They want to leave the EU. That they would then have a border with the EU at Northern Ireland isn't exactly a surprise. Didn't they take that into account when they made their decision? Or did they expect it to be solved by somebody else?

You seem to think that the EU somehow owes the UK accommodation to issues brought about by the UK's own actions. What a peculiar concept. It wasn't their idea for the UK to leave.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:05 PM   #49
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If the border is open, goods can flow freely either way across it, and therefore regulatory standards can only be enforced on either side of the border if they're enforced identically on both; otherwise, goods that violate the regulations on one side only of the border only can cross to that side from the other freely. The EU holds the enforcement of regulatory standards to be crucial - this is well known to all parties in the discussion - and therefore it's clear that the EU will not accept an unregulated border with the UK unless all EU regulatory standards apply to the UK.
Except that standards on goods don't have to be enforced at the border - see what has been done by the EU in 'de-dramatizing' their proposed regulatory border between the UK and NI.

And of course the Irish government stating that there will not be border posts on the North-South border in any circumstances.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:07 PM   #50
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Walles isnwt y cwllwntwy thwogll
Anghywir.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:36 PM   #51
Lothian
should be banned

I get that when one leaves the Golf Club, you should no longer expect to enjoy its benefits.
Good.
Quote:
with the Golf Club, a former member could still be allowed to park in the Golf Club forecourt as long as he is not taking the p!ss.
Didn't get it for very long, did you?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 01:07 AM   #52
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wales isn't a country though.

Yeah everyone knows it's a unit of measurement, I do believe they are currently debating a new standard in France (27 Wales) as the current standard Wales has been deteriorating since around the 15th century.
Old 17th November 2018, 01:09 AM   #53
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Walles isnwt y cwllwntwy thwogll
Corrected your spelling.

Last edited by Darat; 17th November 2018 at 01:14 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 01:11 AM   #54
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Have you checked with Eton where he is on the list?
Old 17th November 2018, 02:39 AM   #55
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

However, in the unique case of the UK, there is a Good Friday Agreement in place in respect of Northern Ireland and its borders. The EU know that the unionists don't want to interfere with this sensitive issue, and of course the intention is not to let goods and terrorists (the Manchester bomber came to England via Dublin and crossed the border that way) evade the customs and border checks.

It's not reasonable to tie the UK to the EU for an indefinite spell because of this unique political issue.

I think 'taking the piss' just about sums up the attitude of ever Leaver, the Tory Government and the general UK attitude to the EU for sometime.

Perhaps thought should have been given to the 'unique political situation' BEFORE rushing headlong into a stupid decision rather than assuming that other people would just give you what you want no matter how incoherent it is?

The point is quite simple. You have customs checks on the boundaries of customs areas. If you leave the Customs Union you have checks on your borders. The UK had and has the option to remain in the Customs Union if they wish to.

As for the car parking analogy... try quitting your job and then insisting that you should still be allowed to use the staff car park whenever you want.

Last edited by Archie Gemmill Goal; 17th November 2018 at 03:04 AM.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 03:50 AM   #56
malbui
Beauf

Maybe my perspective is skewed having grown up (mainly) in the UK but spent most of my adult life living in various other states among the EU27, but you know...

I was over in the UK for a few days a couple of weeks ago. With a government barely worthy of the name led by someone notable only for a rare combination of ignorance, arrogance, inflexibility, dogmatism and intolerance, with an opposition that should be utterly ashamed of itself for forgetting about the good of the country, and with the attitudes I heard being expressed around me, I'm now thinking that a no deal exit and a bit of chaos would be exactly what the country needs. Come back to us when adults have taken over and you're ready to talk.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:08 AM   #57
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Maybe my perspective is skewed having grown up (mainly) in the UK but spent most of my adult life living in various other states among the EU27, but you know...

I was over in the UK for a few days a couple of weeks ago. With a government barely worthy of the name led by someone notable only for a rare combination of ignorance, arrogance, inflexibility, dogmatism and intolerance, with an opposition that should be utterly ashamed of itself for forgetting about the good of the country, and with the attitudes I heard being expressed around me, I'm now thinking that a no deal exit and a bit of chaos would be exactly what the country needs. Come back to us when adults have taken over and you're ready to talk.
I think the adults have long since left the building. I have said for a while that the quality of politician has been in a rapid decline and its pretty obvious that we have clowns in charge now. The difference is stark when you see someone like Kenneth Clark talk compared to some of the nonentities that are now in charge.

No idea if it is symptomatic of a general dumbing down of society, a continued move towards personality trumping competence in politics or just indicative of those who enter politics nowadays but honestly wouldn't trust most of them to run a village fete.

I think the fact that Amber Rudd was forced to resign for lying to parliament and then is reappointed to cabinet just months later speaks volumes to the talent pool in government. And Labour don't seem any better.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:18 AM   #58
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

That just proves that that the UK has become little more than a vassal state of the EU. Don't forget, various other countries are anxious to leave as well.

It reminds me of the accountancy training system in Australia. Your employer pays all of your costs and exam fees...but then you are locked into working for them for at least three years or you have to pay it all back. Imagine if it was the case you were locked in for an indefinite period? It would not be tolerated by any right-minded person.

When I did my accountancy exams, I was locked in for one year iirc, which I thought was fair.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:23 AM   #59
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

That just proves that that the UK has become little more than a vassal state of the EU. Don't forget, various other countries are anxious to leave as well.

It reminds me of the accountancy training system in Australia. Your employer pays all of your costs and exam fees...but then you are locked into working for them for at least three years or you have to pay it all back. Imagine if it was the case you were locked in for an indefinite period? It would not be tolerated by any right-minded person.

When I did my accountancy exams, I was locked in for one year iirc, which I thought was fair.
There are no other countries anxious to leave the EU.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:24 AM   #60
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I think the adults have long since left the building. I have said for a while that the quality of politician has been in a rapid decline and its pretty obvious that we have clowns in charge now. The difference is stark when you see someone like Kenneth Clark talk compared to some of the nonentities that are now in charge.

No idea if it is symptomatic of a general dumbing down of society, a continued move towards personality trumping competence in politics or just indicative of those who enter politics nowadays but honestly wouldn't trust most of them to run a village fete.

I think the fact that Amber Rudd was forced to resign for lying to parliament and then is reappointed to cabinet just months later speaks volumes to the talent pool in government. And Labour don't seem any better.

The fault is, we live in a 'celebrity'-led environment. As much as I despise Amber Rudd's lies to the Select Committee over the actions of her Home Office department in the Windrush scandal, I do agree with her comments that this should be about the good of the country, not narcissistic personalities in it for a couple of years and then they are gone. However, she should apply this same standard to PM May. It's admirable she has stood loyal behind her boss.

The bigger picture is, it is a potential disaster for the country. It's good that key members of the cabinet are staying around to persuade May to renegotiate, others to let it go to a parliamentary vote and a likely fail, and even those who've resigned and are putting in for a VONC.

It reflects the divided nation the UK has become.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:14 AM   #61
malbui
Beauf

That just proves that that the UK has become little more than a vassal state of the EU.
You'll have to explain to me in very simple terms how you derive that conclusion from my comments.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:22 AM   #62
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You wish! If JRM becomes PM then it will be because a group of Tory MPs put him there, not because tens of millions of people voted for him.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 02:20 PM   #63
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

John Cleese tweets

"I wonder what Murdoch will tell Gove to do...

Whatever it is, it will receive praise in the Times and the Sun, and also good reviews in the Mail from Gove's wife, and her pals"
Old 17th November 2018, 03:31 PM   #64
Degeneve
Muse

Leave-voting MP Nadine Dorries slams May's Brexit deal because UK won’t have seats in European parliament.

Unbelievable!
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 03:33 PM   #65
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
Uh ...
Old 17th November 2018, 03:39 PM   #66
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Very believable I am sad to say.
Old 17th November 2018, 03:51 PM   #67
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

As Captain_Swoop has implied, only if you haven't come across Nadine Dorries before.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 04:01 PM   #68
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

No. Believable - she ain't very bright
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 04:13 PM   #69
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Wales is permitted to warm its hands at England's fire.

(Well, they were when it was burning Welsh coal.)
During the Anglo-Irish trade warWP of 1932-38 a popular slogan in Ireland was "Burn everything English except coal".
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 04:35 PM   #70
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

You'll have to explain to me in very simple terms how you derive that conclusion from my comments.
Your quote, as follows:

Quote:
With a government barely worthy of the name led by someone notable only for a rare combination of ignorance, arrogance, inflexibility, dogmatism and intolerance, with an opposition that should be utterly ashamed of itself for forgetting about the good of the country,
illustrates how little control the UK has over its own sovereignty.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:43 PM   #71
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Why? If the UK has to follow its laws and regulations, of course it must expect to have a say in the passing and formulating of legislation.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:47 PM   #72
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Why? If the UK has to follow its laws and regulations, of course it must expect to have a say in the passing and formulating of legislation.
Best stay in the EU then.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:17 PM   #73
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Moog View Post

And you will have MEPs up until you leave in a few months. At which point the UK no longer has any say because it will no longer be a member. That's what 'leave' means.
I'm afraid it's too complex for many to grasp.

I suppose it put's Raab's discovery that Dover is near France into context.

My favourite take on that, from the twitter thread I linked to upthread:

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1062995859518996481

Quote:
John Bull

@garius
Follow Follow @garius
More
LIDINGTON: There goes Raab
MAY: Dom?! The little ******* traitor.
LIDINGTON: Yup. Here's his letter.
MAY: 'I Have resigned so I can spend more time with an atlas.'
LIDINGTON: Yeah. That part was a bit weird.

1:08 AM - 15 Nov 2018
ETA: the thread develops in a nice way

Quote:
John Bull

@garius
Nov 15
More
MAY <on phone>: I hear you're planning another pizza party
GOVE: <dry hissing>
MAY: How you do think I know?
GRAYLING: Hello!
GOVE: <sound of wet tentacles>
MAY: I propose an alternative: Be My Brexit Minister
GOVE: <ghoulish wail>

7 replies 67 retweets 435 likes
Reply 7 Retweet 67 Like 435 Direct message

John Bull

@garius
Nov 15
More
MAY: Think about it Michael this could be your chance to prove everyone wrong
GOVE: <wet clicking>
MAY: Brexit Secretary. They'd HAVE to admire you
GOVE: <subdued wet slapping>
MAY: They'd have to love you then, Michael. The people, they'd have to respect you
GOVE: <demonic purr>
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 17th November 2018 at 05:21 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 05:18 PM   #74
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I thought you wanted to leave the EU?
Now you want to stay in, do make up your mind.

And you will have MEPs up until you leave in a few months. At which point the UK no longer has any say because it will no longer be a member. That's what 'leave' means.
The UK is either 100% in or it is 100% (or near enough) out. Middle of the road is enterprise suicide (Michael Porter, business guru). The uncertainty of this position is what makes the markets volatile. I for one am considering moving my money out of the UK in case of such a crash.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:23 PM   #75
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The UK is either 100% in or it is 100% (or near enough) out. Middle of the road is enterprise suicide (Michael Porter, business guru). The uncertainty of this position is what makes the markets volatile. I for one am considering moving my money out of the UK in case of such a crash.
Norway

Switzerland
Old 17th November 2018, 05:26 PM   #76
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Norway

Switzerland
No, to an EU country.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:32 PM   #77
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Then just quit your subscription and leave. Not sure what the problem is.
Can't. The EU are demanding an exit fee, and even then the UK will be bound to its edicts indefinitely.
Old 17th November 2018, 05:33 PM   #78
The Moog
Thinker

Can't. The EU are demanding an exit fee, and even then the UK will be bound to its edicts indefinitely.
Sure you can, you just say 'we're not paying' then walk.
Very easy.
The Moog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 05:36 PM   #79
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Sure you can, you just say 'we're not paying' then walk.
Very easy.
You have heard of binding contracts and treaties?
Old 17th November 2018, 05:44 PM   #80
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

To avoid that, set up a normal policed and secured international border between NI and RoI. Then walk away from the EU. No problem.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics