ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 18th November 2018, 07:05 PM   #121
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If only we could use his In Our Time Machine to go back and stop this madness.
Old 19th November 2018, 02:57 AM   #122
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
Make me Brexit minister, I could do just as good a job.
Well, I'm down as Brexit Minister today, planning on resigning tomorrow morning, you could take over after that? Say, the 8am-8pm slot?

Anyone here fancy the night shift after that?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 04:53 AM   #123
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Well, I'm down as Brexit Minister today, planning on resigning tomorrow morning, you could take over after that? Say, the 8am-8pm slot?

Maybe Andrej Babiš?

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 05:13 AM   #124
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Can I do this while working from home?
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 05:35 AM   #125
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It's OK, there's a potential saviour

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/19/david...-says-8154169/

Alternatively, this is actually too stupid even for current British politics.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 05:52 AM   #126
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
Can I do this while working from home?
You can type your resignation letter anywhere.
Old 19th November 2018, 07:41 AM   #127
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I get that when one leaves the Golf Club, you should no longer expect to enjoy its benefits.

However, in the unique case of the UK, there is a Good Friday Agreement in place in respect of Northern Ireland and its borders.
Maybe it would have been a good idea to actually try to have some idea how they wanted this to work before taking back our borders(but NOT THAT ONE!!!!).
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 07:46 AM   #128
Greebo
Thinker

Don't think even Sir Humphrey could plan that far ahead to pull that one off!

The CEO of my company in the UK issued a statement on Friday, the essence of which was there were two choices:-
  1. Push for another referendum (hoping for a remain outcome)
  2. Accept what we've drafted and work with it

His reluctant decision (his words) was for option 2
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 07:48 AM   #129
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Can't. The EU are demanding an exit fee, and even then the UK will be bound to its edicts indefinitely.
So pull a Trump and just refuse to pay your debts. Simple really default on all obligations and live with a closed border. And stop whining about your decision to close the Irish border.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 07:51 AM   #130
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
Then it's high time that the UK tempers it's expectations.
Reality and logic will play not role in the expectations of the UK!
Old 19th November 2018, 07:53 AM   #131
Greebo
Thinker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So pull a Trump and just refuse to pay your debts. Simple really default on all obligations and live with a closed border. And stop whining about your decision to close the Irish border.
I would expect that this would affect the subsequent trade negotiations
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 07:59 AM   #132
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
I would expect that this would affect the subsequent trade negotiations
Well of course, but trade and international travel are small prices to pay for retaking your boarders! Where is the old Blitz spirit? Bring back rationing and all that like in the good old days!
Old 19th November 2018, 08:08 AM   #133
Wudang
BOFH

Well of course, but trade and international travel are small prices to pay for retaking your boarders! Where is the old Blitz spirit? Bring back rationing and all that like in the good old days!
The people invoking the blitz spirit tend to ignore how reliant the UK was on the Atlantic convoys.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 02:39 PM   #134
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rees Mogg and his ERG have been bleating about their plan for Brexit.
Yes, lets follow a plan suggested by the people who couldn’t work a plan to get 48 letters together.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2018, 03:09 PM   #135
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Yes, lets follow a plan suggested by the people who couldn’t work a plan to get 48 letters together.
When their side has been "responsible" for "negotiating" Brexit for the last two years.

Raab presumably went to the Cabinet meeting knowing what he'd agreed, stood by May, then after accepting the deal, resigned.

Even bigger bunch of clowns than May or Corbyn.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:02 AM   #136
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The DUP has warned Theresa May to "keep her side of the bargain" on Brexit after the party's 10 MPs withheld their support in votes on Budget measures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46269757
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:20 AM   #137
Tolls
Illuminator

I'm still very confused as to exactly what end result the DUP want from Bresit.
They seem to want to leave the EU, but not have a border with the EU, but not be in any customs union (possibly?).
Which is, surely, not achievable?

Is there a simple list of (non-contradictory) demands from them?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:22 AM   #138
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Is there a simple list of (non-contradictory) demands from them anyone?
FTFY.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:35 AM   #139
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
Make me Brexit minister, I could do just as good a job.
With Arlene Foster as Evil Edna...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:36 AM   #140
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Eh?
I presume it refers to the opt-outs, the continual grumbling and complaining and the demands for special treatment.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:43 AM   #141
catsmate
No longer the 1

It really is time for a remake of 1990, say 2030.

They seem to want to leave the EU, but not have a border with the EU, but not be in any customs union (possibly?).

Taigs out.
Old 20th November 2018, 04:12 AM   #142
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well I've now read the withdrawal agreement/proposal and all I can say is "good luck" and "thanks for all the fishes".
Old 20th November 2018, 04:13 AM   #143
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I presume it refers to the opt-outs, the continual grumbling and complaining and the demands for special treatment.
To be fair that's true of pretty much all the countries in the EU, they all look out for their own interests first, as they should.
Old 20th November 2018, 04:57 AM   #144
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Naah, let's bring back Thatcher instead.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 05:15 AM   #145
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
Naah, let's bring back Thatcher instead.
If there was someone who knew how to sell "signing away our sovereignty" to the public as a positive it was Thatcher.
Old 20th November 2018, 05:18 AM   #146
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

What you have to understand about the DUP is that they want Northern Irland to be treated the same as the rest of the UK. Just the same. Exactly the same.

Except for in the areas of women's rights and reproductive autonomy, gay rights, same sex marriage, cross border trade and movement, use of Ulster Scots, religion........
Old 20th November 2018, 07:34 AM   #147
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Why? If the UK has to follow its laws and regulations, of course it must expect to have a say in the passing and formulating of legislation.
Why? Norway and Switzerland don't.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 20th November 2018 at 07:35 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 07:35 AM   #148
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

In a wonderful couldn't-make-it-up moment Spain have now said they will veto the deal anyway unless the situation on Gibraltar is clarified.
Old 20th November 2018, 07:47 AM   #149
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
What you have to understand about the DUP is that they want Northern Irland to be treated the same as the rest of the UK. Just the same. Exactly the same.

Except for in the areas of women's rights and reproductive autonomy, gay rights, same sex marriage, cross border trade and movement, use of Ulster Scots, religion........
In matters of social issues NI is an embarrassment for the UK.
Old 20th November 2018, 08:03 AM   #150
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
All you need to know about the ERG is the fact that here in the Netherlands (otherwise known as "the place your food comes from") the word "erg" means "terrible".
Old 20th November 2018, 08:20 AM   #151
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Shades of '1990', remember Edward Woodward?
Now available on DVD! It's actually quite dreary, as 1970s BBC dystopian drama goes (Survivors is much better!), but bits of it do seem worryingly prophetic, even if the writer thought the "bad" stuff would come about for an entirely different reason.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 08:23 AM   #152
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
All you need to know about the ERG is the fact that here in the Netherlands (otherwise known as "the place your food comes from") the word "erg" means "terrible".
Could you do me a favour? Buy some extra refrigerators and freezers to store my food in as I do believe there might be some slight delay in getting it to me after the 29th March. Thanks.

Signed: The people who didn't want to leave and those that are now thinking "oh my god what have we done?!!!" of the UK.
Old 20th November 2018, 08:25 AM   #153
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
In a wonderful couldn't-make-it-up moment Spain have now said they will veto the deal anyway unless the situation on Gibraltar is clarified.
That's been on the cards for some time, hasn't it?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 08:29 AM   #154
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
The people invoking the blitz spirit tend to ignore how reliant the UK was on the Atlantic convoys.
There's a whole heap of stuff such people are ignorant of.
Old 20th November 2018, 08:32 AM   #155
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Could you do me a favour? Buy some extra refrigerators and freezers to store my food in as I do believe there might be some slight delay in getting it to me after the 29th March. Thanks.

Signed: The people who didn't want to leave and those that are now thinking "oh my god what have we done?!!!" of the UK.
And hope for no power cuts....
Old 20th November 2018, 08:33 AM   #156
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That's been on the cards for some time, hasn't it?
Shameful opportunism - totally unpredictable!
Old 20th November 2018, 09:22 AM   #157
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
and 'very'... I'll admit that just doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 10:42 AM   #158
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
You can type your resignation letter anywhere.
Here in the U.S. you can even pull over to the side of the road and type it out on your mobile device after a snow job destroys your reputation and none of your colleagues have an ounce of spine between them.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 01:14 PM   #159
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In matters of social issues NI is an embarrassment for the UK.
Thirty years of carnage, from 1968 to 1998, was somewhat embarrassing too.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2018, 03:14 PM   #160
Garrison
Illuminator

Clear progress as May goes an entire day with the same cabinet...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics