ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:05 PM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Santa shockingly sacked for serious, sexist, suggestion

I can feel the handwringing, SJWs moral outrage from here as they made the decision to ditch him.

They probably did a group "jazz hands"

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...riate-comments
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:12 PM   #2
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Seńora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
What the hell is an "authentic" Santa? The role is utter fiction.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 06:16 PM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
From another article

Quote:
Baker said he took this responsible seriously, and only hired those who he believed could perform a "believable and accurate" representation of a traditional Santa.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:07 PM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Do their antisex-discrimination laws apply to acting?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I can feel the handwringing, SJWs moral outrage from here as they made the decision to ditch him.

They probably did a group "jazz hands"

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...riate-comments
I'm pretty sure you've got the outraged set wrong. SJWs? Or shocked (shocked, I say) MRAs?

I'm going with the latter and the similar groups who oppose female Thor and black Green Lantern and all-female Ghostbusters. I know a lot of SJWs and most are going to see this as just another step in the right direction. Myths, legends and bedtime stories have always been created to appeal to the group-in-power. That's shifting, so let's shift the legends. Keep the good parts of the story and ditch the outmoded ones. Little Brave Sambo became Little Brave Sambo for a reason!

But the MRAs and other reactionaries? Those types will flock to this like flies to a dog turd. "No sirree. Don't like no changes. Good enough for my grand dad to believe in then it damned well should be good enough for you!"

Did you miss the part where Santa Claus is actually a made-up story? Who has the copyright in NZ?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:17 PM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I'm pretty sure you've got the outraged set wrong. SJWs? Or shocked (shocked, I say) MRAs?

I'm going with the latter and the similar groups who oppose female Thor and black Green Lantern and all-female Ghostbusters. I know a lot of SJWs and most are going to see this as just another step in the right direction. Myths, legends and bedtime stories have always been created to appeal to the group-in-power. That's shifting, so let's shift the legends. Keep the good parts of the story and ditch the outmoded ones. Little Brave Sambo became Little Brave Sambo for a reason!

But the MRAs and other reactionaries? Those types will flock to this like flies to a dog turd. "No sirree. Don't like no changes. Good enough for my grand dad to believe in then it damned well should be good enough for you!"

Did you miss the part where Santa Claus is actually a made-up story? Who has the copyright in NZ?
You would have a point if the SJW's weren't such hypocrites

For example the outrage when they thought the person in the the new batwoman movie wasn't being played by a lesbian etc

Old 23rd November 2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

You would have a point if the SJW's weren't such hypocrites

For example the outrage when they thought the person in the the new batwoman movie wasn't being played by a lesbian etc
And you would have a point if your mama didn't wear combat boots. (Translation: What the hell does that incident have to do with the OP other than another blanket attempt to get your wounded feelings about change into another one-off anecdote about evil SJWs.)

Stick to one embarrassing topic at a time. This thread is about your notion that we should continue to guide ourselves by 19th Century cultural traditions.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And you would have a point if your mama didn't wear combat boots. (Translation: What the hell does that incident have to do with the OP other than another blanket attempt to get your wounded feelings about change into another one-off anecdote about evil SJWs.)

Stick to one embarrassing topic at a time. This thread is about your notion that we should continue to guide ourselves by 19th Century cultural traditions.
Your post said why can't made up characters change, because of some issue MRA's have

My post was pointing out an example of a made up character mistakenly thinking was being changed and the outrage from SJWs over it.

It is completely on topic with your reply

Old 23rd November 2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

What's wrong with giving a Green Lantern ring to a female? Weren't there female Green Lanterns? Brown and white ones too?
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:03 PM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
What's wrong with giving a Green Lantern ring to a female? Weren't there female Green Lanterns? Brown and white ones too?
Nothing

The Green Lantern changes a bit like Dr Who, but depending on who has the ring (or who it choses)

As long as you establish it is a different ring holder

Old 23rd November 2018, 11:22 PM   #11
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Your post said why can't made up characters change, because of some issue MRA's have

My post was pointing out an example of a made up character mistakenly thinking was being changed and the outrage from SJWs over it.

It is completely on topic with your reply
Your example, frankly, sucks. But since you may be under the impression that it makes sense, let's address it so as to get rid of it.

Bat-Lesbian is the character in the TV series. The objection did not come from a wide base of the SJW community if there is even such a thing, but from a faction of the LGBTQ community, that gay (in this case lesbian) roles should be played by gay(lesbian) performers.

It am a stupid argument. Just as stupid as "men should play Santa Claus". But it addresses nothing about this thread. There have been minority actors who have fought for years to get roles for actors of their ethnicity or persuasion. Native Americans were notoriously played by caucasians. Blacks were played by white people in make-up. (Take a look at the extras in any Tarzan movie from the 30s to 50s.) A huge amount of the protests are economically based - we want work for actors from that demographic.

The current argument is stupid. There are any number of gay and lesbian performers playing straight and gay roles. This is not a "we're being cheated out of work" issue but a Little Johnny(Janey) One Note problem. It is not an issue in the gay community that I know and not an issue in the acting community. Idiot trolls drove an actress off Twitter. The world is coming to an end and the very fabric of our society is in peril! And as I mentioned,... track the story and see who's wringing their hands and clutching their pearls over it. Gossip sites who live off of conflict and right wing sites who live off of mocking SJWs where they don't exist.

And it has nothing to do with the issue of a stupid old fart getting fired because he won't allow his business behavior to keep up with the community. He should move to Arkansas and claim religious freedom. It's nice to see that all the old fossil rednecks aren't limited to the USA.

Old 23rd November 2018, 11:27 PM   #12
Thermal
Philosopher

This is the World we are leaving to our children.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:34 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

When our lot moan stupidly it is a small minority , when other groups do they all think the same
FTFY

BTW

It isn't just a bunch of your scary MRAs disagreeing with it.

It is 90% of the country who volunteered their opinions

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12165503

Old 23rd November 2018, 11:41 PM   #14
Cain
Straussian

The Ess-Jay-Double-Ews must be stopped.
Old 24th November 2018, 12:05 AM   #15
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Lousy freaking minorities should get with the program and assimilate!! Don't change my culture!!

Lousy freaking minorities should never expect to be seen as part of the same culture!! Goes against tradition!!

Assimilate!! But never show up in anything reflecting today's society, geez. What is it with these invading non-whites and non-males? Don't they know it's "white men forever?" Just sit back, see nothing on display that includes you, and be a good, faithful follower.

Whiteness and sameness, forever and ever, amen. God bless us... except the dark children of Ham or uppity women, who are extra-bad sinners and not covered by the same grace... that excuses me from all responsibility for this mess of a planet.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 24th November 2018 at 12:07 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 12:06 AM   #16
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

FTFY

BTW

It isn't just a bunch of your scary MRAs disagreeing with it.

It is 90% of the country who volunteered their opinions

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12165503
Well, I'm sold. 90% of respondents to an ON LINE poll hosted by a conservative rag agree that Grampus is right. No link to the poll? What was the question? How many people responded?

Old 24th November 2018, 12:15 AM   #17
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Get the sandbags, tinned food and bottled water, boys!!!!

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/s...le-1202570025/

Old 24th November 2018, 12:24 AM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Lousy freaking minorities should get with the program and assimilate!! Don't change my culture!!

Lousy freaking minorities should never expect to be seen as part of the same culture!! Goes against tradition!!

Assimilate!! But never show up in anything reflecting today's society, geez. What is it with these invading non-whites and non-males? Don't they know it's "white men forever?" Just sit back, see nothing on display that includes you, and be a good, faithful follower.

Whiteness and sameness, forever and ever, amen. God bless us... except the dark children of Ham or uppity women, who are extra-bad sinners and not covered by the same grace... that excuses me from all responsibility for this mess of a planet.
Last time I checked females are the majority

At least in NZ

Old 24th November 2018, 12:27 AM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Get the sandbags, tinned food and bottled water, boys!!!!

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/s...le-1202570025/

Not a big deal.

Looking at it she is Santa's daughter

Old 24th November 2018, 12:43 AM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Last edited by cullennz; 24th November 2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 24th November 2018, 03:20 AM   #21
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

At least in NZ
And yet they are treated as a minority.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 03:40 AM   #22
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
You lie! Santa is alive and well, and living in Arctic Finland, somewhere near Rouvaniemi. FACT.
Old 24th November 2018, 03:50 AM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
And yet they are treated as a minority.
That is arguable

Which minorities are you comparing it to and in which country?

Old 24th November 2018, 04:45 AM   #24
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Belongs to the Coca Cola company doesn’t it?
Old 24th November 2018, 04:46 AM   #25
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
You lie! Santa is alive and well, and living in Arctic Finland, somewhere near Rouvaniemi. FACT.
I thought he was from a village near Antalya, Turkey?
Old 24th November 2018, 06:00 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

At least in NZ
Should black or Māori people be denied the opportunity to be a "traditional" Santa Claus?

That the "traditional" Santa Claus is considered to be a white man in a red and white suit with a white beard is of course amusing in itself given the origins of that "traditional" Santa.
Old 24th November 2018, 06:00 AM   #27
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Cant females think up their own gift giving home invader? Why do they need a female santa claus? They already have Mary Poppins. How does Mrs Claus feel about being forced to become a lesbian? And just because there was a fat bearded chick in the Greatest Showman, doesnt mean that we want more fat bearded chicks in popular culture. Gender swaps are **** anyway, Case in point, lots of people like Wonder woman, but Wonder Man is a no name **** embarrasment even Marvel doesn't want to make a movie about him. And just look at Captain Marvel. The guy is now SHAZAM, and the chick is still that name and they both get their own movie. Hopefully they bang in the crossover.

Case Closed.

Last edited by Hungry81; 24th November 2018 at 06:03 AM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 06:10 AM   #28
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

This is the "original" Santa Claus. He's Middle Eastern, from Turkey. And he's arguably black or dark brown. And he probably spoke Armenian or Turkish, not English. And he almost certainly didn't go "Ho ho ho".

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 06:18 AM   #29
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

From another article
How traditional? As in the really traditional one? Of the new traditional one? The USA traditional one, or the European traditional ones?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 06:30 AM   #30
3point14
Pi

If Santa keeps changing sex then there are going will have to be even more creative ******** spouted at children to explain the increasing discrepancy between the real world and what their parents tell them.
Old 24th November 2018, 06:40 AM   #31
Thermal
Philosopher

I think I could get on board with a hot female Santa. Sneaks in the house at night with a little something for daddy. And just picture the teenage boys at the mall lining up to sit on her lap.
Old 24th November 2018, 06:41 AM   #32
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Should black or Māori people be denied the opportunity to be a "traditional" Santa Claus?

That the "traditional" Santa Claus is considered to be a white man in a red and white suit with a white beard is of course amusing in itself given the origins of that "traditional" Santa.
Be sensible. How many parts of the world have flying reindeer? Reindeer are indigneous to...[look on Google and fill in the knowledge gap].
Old 24th November 2018, 06:49 AM   #33
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This is the "original" Santa Claus. He's Middle Eastern, from Turkey. And he's arguably black or dark brown. And he probably spoke Armenian or Turkish, not English. And he almost certainly didn't go "Ho ho ho".

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...94d984001f.jpg
At last a discusssion on a serious topic.

St Nicholas:

Quote:
Saint Nicholas
Jaroslav Čermák (1831 - 1878) - Sv. Mikuláš.jpg
Full-length icon of Saint Nicholas by Jaroslav Čermák, showing him with a halo, dressed in clerical garb, and holding a book of the scriptures in his left hand while making the hand gesture for the sign of the cross with his right.
Defender of Orthodoxy, Wonderworker, Holy Hierarch, Bishop of Myra
Born Traditionally 15 March 270[1]
Patara, Roman Empire
Died Traditionally 6 December 343 (aged 73)
Myra, Roman Empire
Venerated in Anglicanism, Baptist, Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, Methodism, Reformed
Major shrine Basilica di San Nicola, Bari, Italy
Feast 19 December [O.S. 6 December] (main feast day – Saint Nicholas Day)
22 May [O.S. 9 May] (translation of relics)[2]
Attributes Vested as a Bishop. In Eastern Christianity, wearing an omophorion and holding a Gospel Book. Sometimes shown with Jesus Christ over one shoulder, holding a Gospel Book, and with the Theotokos over the other shoulder, holding an omophorion
Patronage Children, coopers, sailors, fishermen, merchants, broadcasters, the falsely accused, repentant thieves, brewers, pharmacists, archers, pawnbrokers, Aberdeen, Galway, Russia, Greece, Hellenic Navy, Liverpool, Bari, Siggiewi, Moscow, Amsterdam, Lorraine and Duchy of Lorraine
Saint Nicholas of Myra[a] (traditionally 15 March 270 – 6 December 343),[3][4][b] also known as Nicholas of Bari, was an early Christian bishop of the ancient Greek city of Myra in Asia Minor (modern-day Demre, Turkey) during the time of the Roman Empire.[7] He is revered by many Christians as a saint.[8] Because of the many miracles attributed to his intercession, he is also known as Nicholas the Wonderworker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

...is NOT the real Father Christmas. His is a Christian cultural appropriation of the pagan nordic god the 'pukki' (which means 'goat').

IOW when Swedes / Finns speak of Joulu/Jul (Christmas) 'Pukki' the literal meaning is 'Christmas goat' and not a human at all.

Fact is, 'Santa Claus' (a Dutch phrase) in his red gear is an invention by Coca-Cola.

That's not to say the true Father Christmas doesn't exist.

Quote:
Joulupukki is a Finnish Christmas figure. The name "Joulupukki" literally means "Christmas goat" or "Yule Goat" in Finnish; the word pukki comes from the Teutonic root bock, which is a cognate of the English "buck", and means "billy-goat". An old Scandinavian custom, the figure eventually became more or less conflated with Santa Claus.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joulupukki

Last edited by Vixen; 24th November 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 07:02 AM   #34
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Fact is, 'Santa Claus' (a Dutch phrase) in his red gear is an invention by Coca-Cola.
That's not true. Coke didn't use the character until the 1930s, and there are prior red/white depictions.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 08:01 AM   #35
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

At last a discusssion on a serious topic.

St Nicholas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

...is NOT the real Father Christmas. His is a Christian cultural appropriation of the pagan nordic god the 'pukki' (which means 'goat').

IOW when Swedes / Finns speak of Joulu/Jul (Christmas) 'Pukki' the literal meaning is 'Christmas goat' and not a human at all.

That's not to say the true Father Christmas doesn't exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joulupukki
All of which has little to do with the English Father Christmas
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 08:08 AM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Firstly, let's compromise by keeping Santa male but making him a drag queen. Xmas is already a fabulous holiday so it fits as smoothly as a professional tuck.

Secondly, the myths changed over time, as myths do. The original Santa was a huge tentacled monstrosity from eldritch abysses beyond the stars, and to gaze upon it brought instant madness. The modern version was made palatable and cute because nobody could bear to think of the cosmic horror that no doubt still lies dead by dreaming in the cyclopean ruins of blasphemous geometry in dread X'maslyeh.

Thirdly, we already have a more modern and universally acceptable holiday icon in St Walrus, who comes through a dimensional portal on St Walrustide Eve to bring heaps of dead fish to the good, and a thick coating of reeking mucus to the evil. For an uncertain understanding of what St Walrus perceives good and evil to be, it's obscure to humans which only adds to the delightful surprise. It's definitely best not to openly display any walrus tusk ivory you might possess, though.
Old 24th November 2018, 08:20 AM   #37
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Be sensible. How many parts of the world have flying reindeer? Reindeer are indigneous to...[look on Google and fill in the knowledge gap].
Flying reindeer? Where are they indigenous to? They live in what is referred to as a fantasy so they may as well be from South Island as Lapland. I think there's a large herd of them outside of Slough, in fact.

Old 24th November 2018, 08:35 AM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Flying reindeer? Where are they indigenous to? They live in what is referred to as a fantasy so they may as well be from South Island as Lapland. I think there's a large herd of them outside of Slough, in fact.
Reindeer don't actually fly, of course. They can only hover.
Old 24th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Reindeer don't actually fly, of course. They can only hover.
Which is why we have other associations with Christmas, Santa obviously needs the reindeer to have a propulsion system so he feeds the reindeer with sprouts. That is also why Rudolph wasn't known for having a red nose, people have gotten that one 180 degrees wrong for quite some.
Old 24th November 2018, 08:53 AM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

They fly wherever you find amanita muscaria mushrooms, of course, silly. Reindeer love the stuff.

Specific to the ecosystems and microfungal symbiotic connections found only around the birch, pine and fir, which are usually found together.

Where the reindeer roam.

Last edited by Vixen; 24th November 2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: corr
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events