ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 4th December 2018, 09:15 PM   #321
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Only a 128 views? WTF?!
Old 4th December 2018, 09:45 PM   #322
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Only a 128 views? WTF?!
That many? Amazing indeed.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:15 PM   #323
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"The mob takes the Fifth Amendment" ... " If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" -Trump

Roger Stone invokes Fifth Amendment in Senate Russia probe:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/04/p...ent/index.html
Old 4th December 2018, 10:17 PM   #324
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Stone will be dealt with in some manner. He got nothing last time
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone
Maybe rehab for conspiracy theorists?
I think you have the wrong Stone

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2018, 10:29 PM   #325
Cabbage
Muse

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think you have the wrong Stone
Leave no Stone unturned.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 12:02 AM   #326
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I guess Mueller is a Black Flag fan!

Flynn is going to get on the low end of a range that called for 0 to 6 months for "substantial assistance" which otherwise would have called for .... zero months.

lolz.
Lolz alright. If you stopped for a moment to think about why that is, before smart-mouthing off, you be able to work out for yourself, er, why that is. Mueller has gone to great lengths to say how useful and how timely Flynn's co-operation has been.

Pro-tip: If you think Mueller is talking to the judge when he says all this stuff, you're looking in the wrong place.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 12:38 AM   #327
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I'm just gonna leave this here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
At least they got the name of their group right. I just took a look at their website. I was not surprised by what I saw. These ladies have drunk the Kool Aid completely.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 02:42 AM   #328
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...68919929970692

Quote:
Trump has been urging his associates to have "guts" and not cooperate in the Russia probe. But Mueller sent a clear message tonight to current/future witnesses: testify honestly and completely, and you could be spared prison time.
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 5th December 2018, 03:09 AM   #329
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

But, yeah, basically as we expected: Flynn has been meeting with Mueller a lot, and has given him a lot of information he considers useful. Given the extent of the information, Mueller is searching for leniency to send a signal out to the Roger Stones of this world.

If people in Trump's orbit are sensible and intelligent they'll look at the treatment of Flynn by Mueller and look at the treatment of Cohen by Trump and decide that they're better off cooperating than they are in being "loyal" and hoping for a pardon. That's quite a big "if", though.
Old 5th December 2018, 03:22 AM   #330
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

I guess Mueller is a Black Flag fan!

Flynn is going to get on the low end of a range that called for 0 to 6 months for "substantial assistance" which otherwise would have called for .... zero months.

lolz.
Your keen legal mind seems to have missed a point: The reason Flynn is only looking at 6 months tops, regardless of Mueller's recommendation, is because that's what the plea deal was: only one offense and assign it the least serious category for sentencing purposes.

Flynn gave Mueller "substantial assistance" (apparently including emails and texts) in his investigation of "coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign" and two other cases. It seems you're trying very hard to not understand what that means for anyone holding "no collusion" shares on predictit.org.

lolz.
Old 5th December 2018, 03:26 AM   #331
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That many? Amazing indeed.
Stop trolling me, gun-grabber.
Old 5th December 2018, 05:22 AM   #332
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Renato Mariotti thread on what he believes the significance of the Flynn sentencing memo is
Old 5th December 2018, 06:16 AM   #333
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Serious question:

Parts of the Mueller memo on Flynn are blacked out.
Is that only for the public, or does even the judge not get to read the full text?
Old 5th December 2018, 06:18 AM   #334
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Serious question:

Is that only for the public, or does even the judge not get to read the full text?
The judge definitely gets to read it. It'd be difficult to sign off on it, otherwise.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 06:18 AM   #335
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Only a 128 views? WTF?!
Quick! Find something to dismiss it with!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 06:46 AM   #336
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
The judge definitely gets to read it. It'd be difficult to sign off on it, otherwise.
Thanks, makes a lot of sense.
Old 5th December 2018, 06:46 AM   #337
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Serious question:

The judge gets to read the full text. More importantly, the full text is there and out of Mueller's hands, even if Trump fires him and burns the rest tomorrow, and until then serves as a big scary block of maybe-they-got-me for the unindicted conspirators.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 06:50 AM   #338
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
HI! Thanks for the link to the "tweet"!

You don't really say why anyone should waste their time, so I suspect if you will have no problem whatsoever if I point out that no one should bother because your article does not even mention that the range is 0-6 months!
Old 5th December 2018, 09:38 AM   #339
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Your keen legal mind seems to have missed a point: The reason Flynn is only looking at 6 months tops, regardless of Mueller's recommendation, is because that's what the plea deal was: only one offense and assign it the least serious category for sentencing purposes.

Flynn gave Mueller "substantial assistance" (apparently including emails and texts) in his investigation of "coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign" and two other cases. It seems you're trying very hard to not understand what that means for anyone holding "no collusion" shares on predictit.org.

lolz.
IMV, what General Flynn did was despicable. Especially when you consider he was career US military. I'm guessing what he provided was particularly helpful otherwise Mueller wouldn't have given him such a sweetheart deal.
Old 5th December 2018, 09:50 AM   #340
plague311
Great minds think...

HI! Thanks for the link to the "tweet"!

You don't really say why anyone should waste their time, so I suspect if you will have no problem whatsoever if I point out that no one should bother because your article does not even mention that the range is 0-6 months!
It's only 0-6 months because that's what Mueller let it be in the plea bargain. This has been explained to you ad nauseum. By continuing to ignore this extremely blatant fact you've only shown that you have absolutely no rebuttal to put forth.

The 0-6 ratio is only important to you.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 10:24 AM   #341
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that is notable about the Mueller document is that it mentions that the FBI began investigating Flynn based on an article in the WaPo which in turn was based on the illegal leak of the Flynn call to the Russian Ambassador.

"Curious" that Mueller has not investigated that felony...

"curious" indeed.

Might explain another reason why Bobby recommended zero jail time.
Old 5th December 2018, 10:40 AM   #342
plague311
Great minds think...

One thing that is notable about the Mueller document is that it mentions that the FBI began investigating Flynn based on an article in the WaPo which in turn was based on the illegal leak of the Flynn call to the Russian Ambassador.

"curious" indeed.

Evidence. Do you have any evidence he DIDN'T investigate it?

You are making a claim that he hasn't. Back it up or retract it.

Jk, you won't do either

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 10:48 AM   #343
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

"curious" indeed.

What makes you think he hasn't?

Ninja'd by the Plague..

I think it's absurd to think Mueller hasn't. My guess is Mueller and Comey's investigation of Flynn was more thorough than any exam performed by the best proctologist. Keep in mind that Flynn's actions that led to the wider Russia investigation.

That we don't know is simply a demonstration of Mueller's professionalism.

Last edited by acbytesla; 5th December 2018 at 10:58 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 10:54 AM   #344
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
"Curious" as to why sensible people don't use the ignore function on trolls.
Old 5th December 2018, 10:59 AM   #345
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that is notable about the Mueller document is that it mentions that the FBI began investigating Flynn based on an article in the WaPo [...]
No it doesn't. It says that the article was published days before Flynn's first interview, and that other members of Trump's transition team had made public statements on the same subject.

Quote:
The first series of false statements occurred during an interview with the FBI on January 24, 2017. At the time of the interview, the FBI had an open investigation into the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, including the nature of any links or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald J. Trump. Days prior to the FBI’s interview of the defendant, the
Washington Post
had published a story alleging that he had spoken with Russia’s ambassador to the United States on December 29, 2016, the day the United States announced sanctions and other measures against Russia in response to that government’s actions intended to interfere with the 2016 election (collectively, “sanctions”).
See
David Ignatius,
Why did Obama Dawdle on Russia’s hacking?

W
ASH

P
OST
(Jan. 12, 2017). The Post
story queried whether the defendant’s actions violated the Logan Act, which prohibits U.S. citizens from corresponding with a foreign government with the intent to influence the conduct of that foreign government regarding disputes with the United States.
See
18 U.S.C. § 953. Subsequent to the publication of the
Case 1:17-cr-00232-EGS Document 46 Filed 12/04/18 Page 2 of 7

-3-
article and prior to the defendant’s FBI interview, members of President-Elect Trump’s transition team publicly stated that they had spoken to the defendant, and that he denied speaking to the Russian ambassador about the sanctions.
See, e.g.
Face the Nation transcript January 15, 2017: Pence, Manchin, Gingrich

CBS

N
EWS
(Jan. 15, 2017). When the FBI interviewed the defendant on January 24 about his interactions with the Russian ambassador, the defendant falsely stated that he did not ask the Russian ambassador to refrain from escalating the situation in response to the sanctions, and falsely disclaimed any memory of his subsequent conversation with the ambassador in which the ambassador stated that Russia had acceded to the defendant’s request.
See
SOF at ¶ 3. In addition, the defendant made false statements to the FBI about his prior interactions with the Russian government in December 2016 concerning a pending United Nations Security Council resolution.
See id.
at ¶ 4. The defendant’s false statements to the FBI about (i) his contacts with a Russian government emissary, (ii) the requests he conveyed to the Russian government through that emissary, and (iii) Russia’s response to those requests, were material to the FBI’s investigation into the nature of any links or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the Trump campaign.
Sorry, but I can't be arsed to fix the formatting. Here's the memo
Old 5th December 2018, 11:00 AM   #346
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
snip
Golly, did you have some information that it was the subject of an investigation? Because one would have thought that it would have been mentioned in the sentencing report, because Flynn was in fact the victim of that felony.

I assume given your post that you have a layer of substantive evidence that has thus far eluded us.

As such regale us with the facts, regale away!
Old 5th December 2018, 11:02 AM   #347
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What makes you think he hasn't?

Ninja'd by the Plague..

I think it's absurd to think Mueller hasn't. My guess is Mueller and Comey's investigation of Flynn was more thorough than any exam performed by the best proctologist. Keep in mind that Flynn's actions that led to the wider Russia investigation.

That we don't know is simply a demonstration of Mueller's professionalism.
TBD is just repeating Trump's debunked line of "why isn't he investigating the other side?!?!"

Which the obvious answer is, "He's investigating anything in relation to the Russia investigation, no matter who that happens to be or their political affiliation."

Mueller wasn't tasked with Hillary's emails. Why would he investigate them?

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Sorry, but I can't be arsed to fix the formatting.
Deal. No arsing Squeegee. Check

Old 5th December 2018, 11:03 AM   #348
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
"Curious" as to why sensible people don't use the ignore function on trolls.
Golly, did you have some information that it was the subject of an investigation? Because one would have thought that it would have been mentioned in the sentencing report, because Flynn was in fact the victim of that felony.

I assume given your post that you have a layer of substantive evidence that has thus far eluded us.

As such regale us with the facts, regale away!
LoL wut?

Old 5th December 2018, 11:05 AM   #349
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, the in-curiosity of who in the Obama administration leaked the surveillance tapes to WaPo.

I wonder why Mueller graced the sentencing memo with a reference to waPo's article, which was based on a leak, without mentioning it was leaked....

Hmmm.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 5th December 2018 at 11:09 AM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 11:07 AM   #350
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

We are now in the "Why are you pulling me over for running a red light when there are murderers and rapists roaming the streets?" level of apologetics.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 11:11 AM   #351
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

We are now in the "Why are you pulling me over for running a red light when there are murderers and rapists roaming the streets?" level of apologetics.
Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing? Given that we are talking about the sentencing recommendation?

Walk us through your thought process.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:15 AM   #352
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing?
Given that you have not acknowledged that Flynn committed a crime, and you even went so far as to misrepresent your own sources to enhance your denial, yeah, that's a bad thing.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:20 AM   #353
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Given that you have not acknowledged that Flynn committed a crime, and you even went so far as to misrepresent your own sources to enhance your denial, yeah, that's a bad thing.
Oh dear, whether or not I have acknowledged that it was a crime (it wasn't) surely your post could not possibly have meant that... lets break it down:

"Why are you pulling me over for running a red light" hmmm I am the Scum that statement right there assumes that a crime was indeed committed.

Perhaps you want to reignite those engines and start again (and also leave the false claims about misrepresenting sources in the trash where it belongs, not only because it is false, but also because has **** all to do with your claim)

Waiting with anticipation!
Old 5th December 2018, 11:21 AM   #354
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Not quite:

We are now in the "Why are you hassling me for potentially selling out the country when there are people who might have illegally let you know that I am potentially selling out the country?" level of apologetics.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:22 AM   #355
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Oh dear, whether or not I have acknowledged that it was a crime (it wasn't) surely your post could not possibly have meant that... lets break it down:
Yikes. We have regressed to "Flynn pleaded guilty to an activity that is not actually illegal" apologetics. This is getting rough.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:27 AM   #356
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yikes. We have regressed to "Flynn pleaded guilty to an activity that is not actually illegal" apologetics. This is getting rough.
Ah, not going to defend your earlier silly statement? Good idea.

Now we are at a new position, and we have regressed to "deliberately misrepresenting my position" apologetics.

Super.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:30 AM   #357
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

You can't regress back to a level you never left.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 11:43 AM   #358
smartcooky
Philosopher

"curious" indeed.
Your obvious whataboutism is obvious
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 11:46 AM   #359
smartcooky
Philosopher

Hmm, the in-curiosity of who in the Obama administration leaked the surveillance tapes to WaPo.

I wonder why Mueller graced the sentencing memo with a reference to waPo's article, which was based on a leak, without mentioning it was leaked....

Hmmm.
Maybe he did, and its been redacted.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:49 AM   #360
smartcooky
Philosopher

Ah, not going to defend your earlier silly statement? Good idea.

Now we are at a new position, and we have regressed to "deliberately misrepresenting my position" apologetics.

Super.

Its hard not to misrepresent your position when you either change it willy-nilly or don't represent it at all. Your continual whataboutism makes it near impossible, but I guess that's the idea.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics