ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th December 2018, 03:10 AM   #1
dellarte
Master Poster

coroners and coronial process

Coroners and coronial process. Observations, experiences, concerns. This diagram of the a coronial process can be more easily seen by clicking on it. Issues that concern me about this diagram. One, is that I am currently a participant. And, two, anyone else see a control issue in the diagram?

Last edited by dellarte; 5th December 2018 at 03:33 AM.
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 03:51 AM   #2
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

It appears to be an inquisitorial system, rather than an adversarial one, with the coroner in the role of investigating judge, so by design the system is largely under the control of the coroner. That's not uncommon in civil law systems, as I understand it. Which specific coronial process is this, in what jurisdiction? Does a jury sit at the inquest?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 04:02 AM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Best book I can recommend on the subject: The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist. The abuses of the Coroner system (especially the elected coroner system) throughout US history continuing in many places in the US today are heartbreaking.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2018, 04:08 AM   #4
Camillus
Critical Thinker

It appears to be the standard process that I am familiar with, although for some reason it is missing natural deaths that do not require a police investigation but nevertheless require an inquest because the cause of death needs to be determined (a post mortem may show the immediate cause but may not be deemed sufficient). Those are usually hospital deaths related to procedures or surgery where death was not an expected outcome and occurred suddenly.

It would be interesting to know where this process is in place.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Planigale
Master Poster

This could be the UK excluding Scotland. The coroner has to determine who, where when and how. In the UK there are a range of verdicts including narrative and the coroner may or may not sit with a jury. In the UK the coroner might be medically or legally qualified.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dellarte View Post
Coroners and coronial process. Observations, experiences, concerns. This diagram of the a coronial process can be more easily seen by clicking on it. Issues that concern me about this diagram. One, is that I am currently a participant. And, two, anyone else see a control issue in the diagram?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...79de1bd965.jpg
This is a skeptic site if you are posting from the other side people will expect you to provide some proof.

ETA and if you are the coroner we might be a bit concerned that you are coming here for advice.

Last edited by Planigale; 6th December 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:39 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The graphic is small and blurry for me. I can't read it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2018, 12:44 PM   #8
3point14
Pi

Try this:

http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov....rocess%202.jpg

Duckduckgo still allows you to go straight to the image from your search

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors