ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Flynn , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 7th December 2017, 01:06 AM   #361
This is The End

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That would only make sense if he had been forced to lie to the FBI in the first place. If he is being ruined and his family is being bankrupted it is as a direct consequence of his choice I. e. he decided to lie to the FBI.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Flynn's complaint sounds like a person who has killed both his parents asking for a lenient sentence because he's a orphan.

Amazing how just those two quotes would easily contradict days of FoxNews damage control.

Of course FoxNews is the channel that gave Oliver North a job...
Old 7th December 2017, 04:09 AM   #362
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yeah, I don't think that even Trump is that stupid.

OMG. You realize, having written that, Trump is now totally going to pardon Flynn?
Old 7th December 2017, 05:59 AM   #363
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Luckily for him, he’ll get a pardon.
Well since Trump Administration is based on "Law and Order", then you must be right.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:13 AM   #364
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well since Trump Administration is based on "Law and Order", then you must be right.
The Trump Administration is based on a TV show? Well that explains a lot.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:21 AM   #365
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The Trump Administration is based on a TV show? Well that explains a lot.
I kinda wonder what Fred Thompson would think of Trump.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:32 AM   #366
Monza
Alta Viro

Why it helps to have an attorney present. He was certainly stupid for not. But clearly they were dishonestly trying to trap him. The swamp has been trying to trap this whole administration, dumbasses for not seeing early on.

I don't understand what the bolded part refers to? Why do you think the FBI were trying to trap him, let alone dishonestly? Prior to the interview, the FBI knew he had contact with the Russian ambassador. But it is common for an investigator to know certain facts prior to an interview and then to ask about them. I agree Flynn was stupid for not having an attorney present, and even more stupid for lying.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:41 AM   #367
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Why it helps to have an attorney present. He was certainly stupid for not. But clearly they were dishonestly trying to trap him. The swamp has been trying to trap this whole administration, dumbasses for not seeing early on.
Dude, asking someone a question that you already know the answer to is a great way to judge their honesty. Are you not married?
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 08:53 AM   #368
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I must admit that "the FBI investigated his criminal behaviour" is the weirdest defence of Flynn I've seen yet.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:58 AM   #369
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yeah, I must admit that "the FBI investigated his criminal behaviour" is the weirdest defence of Flynn I've seen yet.
If Flynn's defense is, "They forced me to lie by asking me questions," I hope the judge gives him an extra year for that.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:27 AM   #370
logger
Philosopher

Well, presidential pardons are part of the law.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:30 AM   #371
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
I don't understand what the bolded part refers to? Why do you think the FBI were trying to trap him, let alone dishonestly? Prior to the interview, the FBI knew he had contact with the Russian ambassador. But it is common for an investigator to know certain facts prior to an interview and then to ask about them. I agree Flynn was stupid for not having an attorney present, and even more stupid for lying.
Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Dude, asking someone a question that you already know the answer to is a great way to judge their honesty. Are you not married?
Simple! They intercepted his communications and illegally unmasked him, then set him up with questioning. Certainly stupid on his part for not having an attorney and then lying about it.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:30 AM   #372
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, presidential pardons are part of the law.
You are wrong again.

There are some serious limitations on the powers of Presidential pardons.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:31 AM   #373
logger
Philosopher

If Flynn's defense is, "They forced me to lie by asking me questions," I hope the judge gives him an extra year for that.
Might a better defense be his attorney wasn’t present during questioning?
Old 7th December 2017, 10:32 AM   #374
logger
Philosopher

You are wrong again.
Doubt it.
Quote:
There are some serious limitations on the powers of Presidential pardons.
Never said there wasn’t, why don’t you list those limitations?
Old 7th December 2017, 10:34 AM   #375
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

They intercepted his communications and illegally unmasked him, then set him up with questioning.
Previously, you were accusing the Obama administration of "illegally unmasking" him (although you've still neglected to clarify what you actually mean by that phrase), yet now you're replying to a question about the FBI by saying that "They" "illegally unmasked" him. Do you believe the FBI and the Obama administration to be the same thing?
Old 7th December 2017, 10:39 AM   #376
logger
Philosopher

Previously, you were accusing the Obama administration of "illegally unmasking" him (although you've still neglected to clarify what you actually mean by that phrase), yet now you're replying to a question about the FBI by saying that "They" "illegally unmasked" him. Do you believe the FBI and the Obama administration to be the same thing?
Yes.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:44 AM   #377
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Yes.
Even though the Obama Administration no longer existed when Flynn lied to the FBI?
Old 7th December 2017, 10:46 AM   #378
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Even though the Obama Administration no longer existed when Flynn lied to the FBI?
I suppose you’re going to ask me for evidence that the FBI and State are working against the Trump administration? I have no evidence for you, we’re just going to go with our gut that they are.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:47 AM   #379
plague311
Great minds think...

Or ever seen an episode of any form of police drama ever shown ever?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:47 AM   #380
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

In before "deep state."
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:49 AM   #381
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.
Well, I mean, kudos to you for admitting that on a public forum, I suppose...
Old 7th December 2017, 10:53 AM   #382
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I suppose you’re going to ask me for evidence that the FBI and State are working against the Trump administration?
"State"?

The FBI investigates crimes. They work against criminals. Trump only needs to worry if he's done anything illegal.

So, yeah, in that sense, they maybe they are.

I have no evidence for you, we’re just going to go with our gut that they are.
"Faith". The word you're looking for is "faith".
Old 7th December 2017, 10:57 AM   #383
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Flynn won't be getting a pardon. He and Trump have thrown each other under the bus.

Manafort, maybe.

BTW, "unmasking" refers to Americans recorded in conversations with foreign nationals under FISA. Ameriicans caught up in that aren't supposed to be revealed unless they've committed a crime. That doesn't mean they can lie to the FBI about it.

ETA, from the article:
Quote:
"Minimization procedures" limit the collection of information concerning United States persons by protecting their identities and requiring a court order to retain the communications for longer than 72 hours. The communications can be retained without court order if there is evidence of a crime. Identification of a US person, known as "unmasking", may also be authorized if an agency believes it is necessary in order to understand the intelligence or believes that the person was committing a crime.[11]

Last edited by Trebuchet; 7th December 2017 at 11:00 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 11:03 AM   #384
logger
Philosopher

"Faith". The word you're looking for is "faith".
I also have faith that this question will be answered.

Question being was State and the FBI compromised or were certain people working against the administration.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:13 AM   #385
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

... I have no evidence for you, we’re just going to go with our gut that they are.
Sure, why should this time be any different than all the others ?
Old 7th December 2017, 11:16 AM   #386
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Sure, why should this time be any different than all the others ?
Well, many times that’s how investigations start. Like the current Russian collusion one.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:40 PM   #387
logger
Philosopher

Well, I mean, kudos to you for admitting that on a public forum, I suppose...
I find it fascinating that people on the left cannot possibly see the strategy in filling the State Department and the FBI with their minions. Lucky for the rank and file the leadership understands it.

Even on a skeptics forum.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:46 PM   #388
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You say that, and you back it up with evidence, but that's not how this works anymore. Make up some off the wall ****, then you'll be closer.
Ten points for plague311.

Would have been twenty, but you weren't clear about the followup of just ignoring when your **** has been exposed.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:47 PM   #389
phiwum
Philosopher

Doubt it.

Never said there wasn’t, why don’t you list those limitations?
I agree. I don't see that Trump couldn't pardon Flynn.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:51 PM   #390
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I remember a similar defense of Bill Clinton’s lies to a judge.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:57 PM   #391
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I remember a similar defense of Bill Clinton’s lies to a judge.
Okay, so Flynn's defense is, "They tricked me into lying by asking questions, and Bill Clinton did it, too?"
Old 7th December 2017, 01:26 PM   #392
phiwum
Philosopher

I also have faith that this question will be answered.

Question being was State and the FBI compromised or were certain people working against the administration.
Surely, if the FBI believes that a crime has been committed by someone in the administration, it is their job to investigate.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:26 PM   #393
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Okay, so Flynn's defense is, "They tricked me into lying by asking questions, and Bill Clinton did it, too?"
To be clear, the excuse is equally pathetic in both cases.
Old 7th December 2017, 05:05 PM   #394
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Doing a Downfall parody of Trump seems...I dunno. Unecessary?

I mean...wouldn't it just be Trumpertantrum's tweets as the subtitles?
It would take some arrangement, but in his own words is an excellent idea.

Trump did say something a few months ago on the Russia enquiry that put me in mind of Hitler's "We should never have let them cross the Oder!"

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:15 PM   #395
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yeah, I don't think that even Trump is that stupid.
I doubt Flynn reached the conclusion that he couldn't get Trump to do it. Which suggests Mueller has stuff on him that Trump can't pardon.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:25 PM   #396
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.
Not all parts of the deep state are the same thing. All they have in common is that they are part of the deep state. This is how they try to confuse you.

Old 7th December 2017, 05:34 PM   #397
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I kinda wonder what Fred Thompson would think of Trump.
I think bringing Fred Thompson and Trump to mind simultaneously is the most vicious thing I've ever seen done to the orange turd. Bravo.

Old 7th December 2017, 06:50 PM   #398
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Fred Thompson is dead, and he's still smarter than Trump or Flynn.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:03 PM   #399
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Latest Opening Arguments podcast had a “deep dive” into what the Flynn guilty plea may or may not signify.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:06 PM   #400
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

It's amazing how much secret influence liberals have over every part of the government. Not unlike the Jews in the early 20th century. Maybe some brave conservative will propose some kind of solution to this liberal problem.
Cl1mh4224rd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics