ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Flynn , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 1st December 2017, 01:26 PM   #121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not their job.
It was their job to present the case to the DoJ but they weren't ready, then Trump fired Comey and Mueller took over the investigation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:31 PM   #122
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Please oh please oh please. - Mike Pence
I dunno, Sessions and Pence were almost certainly knowledgeable about what was going on. There has been evidence to that effect such as Yates' early warning about Flynn which Pence had to know about, and Sessions' 27 or so "I don't recall"s.

I wonder if the latest flap about Tillerson isn't related to all this. Tillerson and Putin are buddies and wanted those drilling in the Arctic restrictions lifted.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st December 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:35 PM   #123
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Please oh please oh please. - Mike Pence
Posted 2017-01-23 (Three days after inauguration!)

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I wouldn't be so sure that Pence isn't also a target. President Ryan, anyone?
I think I'd be rather OK with that.

Last edited by alfaniner; 1st December 2017 at 01:40 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:44 PM   #124
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Um, what? Every single analyst I've seen so far has agreed that Mueller cut Flynn a deal to get indictable information on a larger player.

The point wasn't that one FOX commenter said so. The point was that even FOX commenters agree - that's how obvious it all is.

The judge didn't do that. He stressed that cooperation with prosecutors would be an important mitigating factor in sentencing. How is any of that a legal misstep?
I was actually referring to the big breaking news headline I posted earlier about Flynn already agreeing to help prosecute another person.

There is apparently no such agreement.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:55 PM   #125
Mooseman
Thinker

I am kind of old lived through Watergate. My guess is this is following the same path.
Mooseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:01 PM   #126
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
I am kind of old lived through Watergate. My guess is this is following the same path.
The endgame will be very different. Nixon - sweating, lying, paranoiac Nixon - still had the self-respect to resign. Trump will need to be dragged out, kicking and screaming and burning it all down behind him.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:03 PM   #127
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I was actually referring to the big breaking news headline I posted earlier about Flynn already agreeing to help prosecute another person.

There is apparently no such agreement.

Flynn himself said that he was cooperating with the prosecution. I'm not sure how much more apparent it could get.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:04 PM   #128
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It was their job to present the case to the DoJ but they weren't ready, then Trump fired Comey and Mueller took over the investigation.
I was just pointing out that the FBI not doing something that was outside of their purview is not an indication of anything.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:17 PM   #129
rustypouch
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The endgame will be very different. Nixon - sweating, lying, paranoiac Nixon - still had the self-respect to resign. Trump will need to be dragged out, kicking and screaming and burning it all down behind him.
That would be great to watch.
rustypouch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 02:24 PM   #130
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Posted 2017-01-23 (Three days after inauguration!)
http://facetpost.com/wp-content/uplo...-1-300x213.jpg

I think I'd be rather OK with that.
Hey, aren't those the muslim prayer curtains behind Trump?
Old 1st December 2017, 02:52 PM   #131
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
That would be great to watch.
The man-child has a pretty big match at his disposal.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:09 PM   #132
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Ummm...okay?
In other words, the president is still the president until the minute his successor is sworn in, so, no, the president elect cannot discuss future policies with foreign governments since that would interfere with the prerogatives of the current president.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:23 PM   #133
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
In other words, the president is still the president until the minute his successor is sworn in, so, no, the president elect cannot discuss future policies with foreign governments since that would interfere with the prerogatives of the current president.
But how could the President-elect be expected to understand this when there are pseudonymous folks at obscure Internet fora who don't understand it either?
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:25 PM   #134
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

CNN: Flynn pleads guilty.
MSNBC: Flynn pleads guilty.
Fox News: Dogs, Do they even know about Christmas?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:31 PM   #135
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Flynn himself said that he was cooperating with the prosecution. I'm not sure how much more apparent it could get.
This gives a bit more perspective on this new process crime and how it works.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-investigation
logger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:41 PM   #136
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by logger View Post

Those deck chairs on the Titanic arenít going to arrange themselves.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:43 PM   #137
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Those deck chairs on the Titanic arenít going to arrange themselves.
Youíve got a huge massive nothing burger.
logger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:50 PM   #138
johnny karate

Youíve got a huge massive nothing burger.
If you keep repeating that while clicking your heels together three times, maybe youíll be magically transported back to Kansas.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:53 PM   #139
chrispy
Critical Thinker

If you keep repeating that while clicking your heels together three times, maybe youíll be magically transported back to Kansas.
It ain't just a river in Egypt...
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:54 PM   #140
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Lol, that perspective being denial. Mueller had Flynn by the short hairs on the foreign agent stuff and the lying on a sworn security form, at least, just on stuff we already knew. Flynn's pattern of deceptiveness would have been sufficient to prove criminal intent. To get just the one charge, Flynn's lawyers would have told Mueller exactly what he was willing to testify to, and obviously Mueller decided it was worth the trade.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 03:55 PM   #141
logger
Suspended

If you keep repeating that while clicking your heels together three times, maybe you’ll be magically transported back to Kansas.
Lol

Seems to be the left hoping, wishing, flat out begging! You’ve got nothing again.

Care to make an argument against the article I posted, instead of playing games?

Last edited by logger; 1st December 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:57 PM   #142
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Lol, that perspective being denial. Mueller had Flynn by the short hairs on the foreign agent stuff and the lying on a sworn security form, at least, just on stuff we already knew. Flynn's pattern of deceptiveness would have been sufficient to prove criminal intent. To get just the one charge, Flynn's lawyers would have told Mueller exactly what he was willing to testify to, and obviously Mueller decided it was worth the trade.
And this obviously shows how large the nothing burger is?
Old 1st December 2017, 03:59 PM   #143
chrispy
Critical Thinker

And this obviously shows how large the nothing burger is?
Huh?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 04:02 PM   #144
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Pro tip: it is possible to not respond to posts that don't advance the debate.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:04 PM   #145
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Care to make an argument against the article I posted, instead of playing games?
The argument rests entirely on the fact that Flynn plead guilty to a relatively small crime of perjury rather than conspiracy. If course, that is pure conjecture as to what Mueller would be willing to give up on indicting Flynn to get Flynn to give testimony against those higher up the food chain.

Your article is wishful thinking, rather than an actual argument.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:05 PM   #146
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Lol

Seems to be the left hoping, wishing, flat out begging! Youíve got nothing again.

Donald Trump walks out of the White House in cuffs.

Logger:

"It's the left hoping for something real! Nothing to see here"

Come on man. Up your game. That's pathetic.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:10 PM   #147
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The argument rests entirely on the fact that Flynn plead guilty to a relatively small crime of perjury rather than conspiracy. If course, that is pure conjecture as to what Mueller would be willing to give up on indicting Flynn to get Flynn to give testimony against those higher up the food chain.

Your article is wishful thinking, rather than an actual argument.
So Mueller could have charged on a more serious crime and heís choosing not to because that will get him those larger fish?
Old 1st December 2017, 04:12 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There is the possibility that more charges against Flynn are still waiting to be charged.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:16 PM   #149
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

So Mueller could have charged on a more serious crime and he’s choosing not to because that will get him those larger fish?
That seems to be his M.O, let the lower fruit off with a lesser charge and sentence than they were facing, in exchange for a plea deal and cooperation and testimony against their bosses. Worked when he brought down the NYC Mob, and seems to be working pretty well in taking down the Drumpf Cartell too. What's the nothing burger at now? Two Guilty Pleas with Co-operations and agreements to testify against bigger targets, and 2 more indictments. That's a lot of nothing...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 1st December 2017 at 04:17 PM.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 04:22 PM   #150
johnny karate

Lol

Seems to be the left hoping, wishing, flat out begging! Youíve got nothing again.
Again, make sure to click your heels together. Three times.

Quote:
I don't see a need to do what the majority of legal analysts in the media have already done.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:24 PM   #151
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That seems to be his M.O, let the lower fruit off with a lesser charge and sentence than they were facing, in exchange for a plea deal and cooperation and testimony against their bosses. Worked when he brought down the NYC Mob, and seems to be working pretty well in taking down the Drumpf Cartell too. What's the nothing burger at now? Two Guilty Pleas with Co-operations and agreements to testify against bigger targets, and 2 more indictments. That's a lot of nothing...
How is a simple process crime plea going to give Mueller bigger fish?
Old 1st December 2017, 04:25 PM   #152
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

So Mueller could have charged on a more serious crime and heís choosing not to because that will get him those larger fish?
An amazingly lucid post.

Yes, you are correct.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:25 PM   #153
Segnosaur
Philosopher

In the past few short months since Mueller started his investigation, you have had charges laid against 4 individuals. And it appears that further investigations are ongoing. (Compare that to the Kenneth Starr investigations into Clinton that supposedly had a much larger scope, yet resulted in.... 0 arrests, one supposed perjury charge that didn't go anywhere, and one stained dress.

If significant charges against 4 individuals are "nothing", then just out of curiosity what would you consider "something"?
Quote:
Lets see... how about the fact that it appears to be an outlier (where pretty much every other source actually suggests that Flynn's plea was a significant development.)

As for the content of the article, it seems to be fixated on the fact that the charges aren't related to "conspiracy". But that is not a necessity for any of those convicted to provide testimony against others in the Trump organization.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 04:25 PM   #154
logger
Suspended

I don't see a need to do what the majority of legal analysts in the media have already done.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:27 PM   #155
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

The list of possible charges against Flynn was rather long - failing to register as a foreign agent, attempted kidnapping, etc.

That all he got was basically a ticket is a sure sign that he was let off of those other charges. But as was said by Judge Napolitano, (On FOX, which I assume means it's real?) that didn't come free.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:31 PM   #156
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
In the past few short months since Mueller started his investigation, you have had charges laid against 4 individuals. And it appears that further investigations are ongoing. (Compare that to the Kenneth Starr investigations into Clinton that supposedly had a much larger scope, yet resulted in.... 0 arrests, one supposed perjury charge that didn't go anywhere, and one stained dress.
Interesting, but I seem to remember lots of people were convicted of things that had nothing to do with the actual reason for the investigation.
Quote:
If significant charges against 4 individuals are "nothing", then just out of curiosity what would you consider "something"?
So far nothing to do with collusion, you do remember what this is supposed to be about?
Quote:
Lets see... how about the fact that it appears to be an outlier (where pretty much every other source actually suggests that Flynn's plea was a significant development.)
Every other source! Fascinating
Quote:
As for the content of the article, it seems to be fixated on the fact that the charges aren't related to "conspiracy". But that is not a necessity for any of those convicted to provide testimony against others in the Trump organization.
And yet it might get Flynn off the hook, just pleading guilty to a tiny little process crime?
Old 1st December 2017, 04:31 PM   #157
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Seriously? You really don't understand the concept of a plea deal?

A defendant and prosecutor can work out a plea deal to cut out some charges in exchange for relevant testimony (such as "Was the Kush/DonnyJr/Racist Orangunan personally involved in Russian collusion"). There is no legal requirement that the person taking the plea deal be charged with conspiracy or any other crime. It is only important that they have testimony and/or evidence relevant to the other case.

Given the number of crimes that Flynn could have been charged with, the fact that there is only one in the pipeline suggests (at least to most rational people) that Flynn is giving testimony or other evidence against others in the Trump organization.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 04:32 PM   #158
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

And yet it might get Flynn off the hook, just pleading guilty to a tiny little process crime?
What exactly do you mean by a little process crime?
Old 1st December 2017, 04:33 PM   #159
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

It is kinda unfortunate to see so much noise wasted on more noise in an important and previously highly informative thread.
Old 1st December 2017, 04:33 PM   #160
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The list of possible charges against Flynn was rather long - failing to register as a foreign agent, attempted kidnapping, etc.

That all he got was basically a ticket is a sure sign that he was let off of those other charges. But as was said by Judge Napolitano, (On FOX, which I assume means it's real?) that didn't come free.
Yeah, I canít even begin to imagine what Mueller got for this process crime?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics