ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "The Simpsons"

Old 4th December 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Simpsons' Character a Truther

I happened to be watching a year-old episode of the Simpsons, which ended with this bit:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

At about 38 seconds in he says, "Five words. Jet fuel can't melt steel!"

I just about fell out of my chair laughing. Part of the enjoyment was wondering just how many people out there got the gag.

If you aren't familiar with the show, the guy is Milhouse's dad, who's always been portrayed as something of a loser. Note in particular that he only expresses his Trutherism when he's getting drunk. So I certainly don't think the Truthers will be rushing to embrace him as a new celebrity Truther.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 07:08 PM   #2
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

A cartoon is a failed truther's expert.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:40 PM   #3
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Best they got so far!

Seriously, though, had this been made in 2007 there would be posts from Dylan & crew saying how 'Someone on the staff agrees with us!!!!'.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Best they got so far!

Seriously, though, had this been made in 2007 there would be posts from Dylan & crew saying how 'Someone on the staff agrees with us!!!!'.
Remember how thrilled they were about the South Park episode? Never mind that it stated that the Truthers were all morons. Matt & Trey even marveled about it afterwards on a podcast (IIRC).
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:45 PM   #5
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Remember how thrilled they were about the South Park episode? Never mind that it stated that the Truthers were all morons. Matt & Trey even marveled about it afterwards on a podcast (IIRC).
My favorite about that one was when they edited down to about 11min, & insisted that it was the real cut & everyone saying "a bunch of pissed off Muslims" was to prevent "THEM" from killing Matt & Trey. The evidence was that otherwise it wouldn't be so easy to edit it down to the real message.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:11 PM   #6
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I happened to be watching a year-old episode of the Simpsons, which ended with this bit:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

At about 38 seconds in he says, "Five words. Jet fuel can't melt steel!"

I just about fell out of my chair laughing. Part of the enjoyment was wondering just how many people out there got the gag.

If you aren't familiar with the show, the guy is Milhouse's dad, who's always been portrayed as something of a loser. Note in particular that he only expresses his Trutherism when he's getting drunk. So I certainly don't think the Truthers will be rushing to embrace him as a new celebrity Truther.
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.

In fact, I think the usage of the phrase really launched off when this was uploaded to Black Twitter:

Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.

Last edited by MicahJava; 6th December 2017 at 10:13 PM.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:28 AM   #7
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.
Apart from the rather well-publicised instance of Rosie O'Donnell saying it on The View on March 29th 2007, that is. But, hey, that only predates your first instance by eight years.

Do you ever get anything right?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:36 AM   #8
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
As I have pointed out before, this meme appears on AE911truth's website.
Quote:
Dr. Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, another supporter of the official story and the first structural engineer given access to the WTC steel, told PBS, “I saw melting of girders in [the] World Trade Center.”
Jet fuel cannot melt steel, but, asserts Rice, “thermite incendiaries can . . . create temperatures in excess of 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, “instantly melting/severing short segments of steel columns and beams.” Chemical evidence of thermite found in the powdered debris by physicist Dr. Steven Jones is cited by Rice, by Obeid, and by Clark Townsend.
MicahJava: are you going to point out their error to them?
Old 7th December 2017, 03:47 AM   #9
pgimeno
Illuminator

I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
I've seen many truthers in forums that didn't know that fire can weaken steel. The "Sherman necklaces" videos were typically devastating to that claim.

In this 2006 video, Jeff King (deceptively announced as a "MIT engineer" even though he graduated in biology there) says that "steel keeps a lot of its structural integrity even when heated; until you begin to approach the melting point you don't really see a catastrophic loss of strength" (at about 3:50).

I AGREE

He doesn't literally say it can't be weakened, but he does say you have to approach the melting point for it to be weakened significantly, which is of course ********.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:32 AM   #10
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Back in the days of USENET (which will give you an idea how long ago this was) I encountered plenty of truthers who didn't just think fire couldn't weaken steel, they flipping knew.

When I showed one truther (The BeDoper troll, for those who remember) a graph showing the strenght of steel vs its temperature he turned into a raging ball of spit and curses.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:42 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

"We have been lied to," announces the Web site AttackOnAmerica.net. "The first lie was that the load of fuel from the aircraft was the cause of structural failure. No kerosene fire can burn hot enough to melt steel." The posting is entitled "Proof Of Controlled Demolition At The WTC."

From the rather well-known Popular Mechanics article of March 2005. We're going back more than ten years now.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:11 AM   #12
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and ...

In fact, I think the usage of the phrase really launched off when this was uploaded to Black Twitter:
What does this nonsense have to do with ae911t using the meme to support idiotic lies?

Quote:
Jet fuel cannot melt steel, but, asserts Rice, (ae911t today on their web site)
9/11 truth, the movement based on the gullibility and overwhelming ignorance of the followers. A religious cult repeating evidence free claims.

Quote:
ogrady from pilots for truth woo forum of big dumbed down lies, post Feb 20 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #34
Just like jet fuel can't melt steel, aluminum can't fly through steel. It's elementary.
oops, the jet fuel can't melt steel has been used since the first failed 9/11 truth liar started it.

Darn,
Quote:
Re: Reply to people who say jet fuel can't melt steel
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 25, 2007 10:05PM
Jet fuel can't melt steel was started by 9/11 truth nuts. Like your failed JFK claims, you can't get anything right about 9/11 truth lies, and offer no evidence for 9/11 truth claims, like your JFK claims.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

..."jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan ...

...I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Damned! I had the mouth full of hot chocolate when I read that! Luckily I was in a somber mood from having read about WW1 before coming here and thus not prone to laugh too suddenly!
Old 8th December 2017, 09:40 AM   #14
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly AE911TRUTH? Hahaha! Aaaaahahahaha!! So hilarious! LOL!

Look what AE911Truth spread TODAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71fwKA9Udso&t=3m19s
Quote Kathy McGrade, one of their cherished "experts" that "speak out":
"In an office fire, you cannot generate enough heat to melt steel."
LOL hahaha!
Old 8th December 2017, 11:47 PM   #15
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"We have been lied to," announces the Web site AttackOnAmerica.net. "The first lie was that the load of fuel from the aircraft was the cause of structural failure. No kerosene fire can burn hot enough to melt steel." The posting is entitled "Proof Of Controlled Demolition At The WTC."

From the rather well-known Popular Mechanics article of March 2005. We're going back more than ten years now.

Dave
Popular Mechanics is a debunked shillerea. Next.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 11:48 PM   #16
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Not exactly AE911TRUTH? Hahaha! Aaaaahahahaha!! So hilarious! LOL!

Look what AE911Truth spread TODAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71fwKA9Udso&t=3m19s
Quote Kathy McGrade, one of their cherished "experts" that "speak out":
"In an office fire, you cannot generate enough heat to melt steel."
LOL hahaha!
Yeah, referring to the possibility of molten iron in the rubble and the microspheres.
Old 9th December 2017, 01:58 AM   #17
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Obviously I have complete faith in you, MicahJava, but for those doubters out there, do you have anything more than 'take my word for it' to back up this otherwise totally unsupported assertion?
Old 9th December 2017, 01:58 AM   #18
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Yeah, referring to the possibility of molten iron in the rubble and the microspheres.
Wait, now you're claiming that this is a truther argument?
Were you lying?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 09:51 AM   #19
Dave Rogers

Are you going for some award for missing the point by the greatest possible distance? The point is that the belief that the WTC collapses must have been caused by explosives because jet fuel fires could not have melted steel has been commonly held in the 9/11 truth movement for well over a decade, and your claim that it originated on 4chan in 2015 is shockingly, embarrassingly, stupidly ignorant. Even if your circle-jerk claim about PM had merit, that still wouldn't make your howler any less hysterically funny.

Dave

Old 9th December 2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Here's another one, from 2006.

http://www.garlicandgrass.org/issue6/Dave_Heller.cfm

Quote:
The official story maintains that fires weakened the buildings. Jet fuel supposedly burned so hot it began to melt the steel columns supporting the towers. But steel-framed skyscrapers have never collapsed from fire, since they're built from steel that doesn't melt below 2750 degrees Fahrenheit. No fuel, not even jet fuel, which is really just refined kerosene, will burn hotter than 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is just too easy. MicahJava, is this your Christmas present to the skeptics here?
Old 12th December 2017, 10:14 PM   #21
MicahJava
Master Poster

Are you going for some award for missing the point by the greatest possible distance? The point is that the belief that the WTC collapses must have been caused by explosives because jet fuel fires could not have melted steel has been commonly held in the 9/11 truth movement for well over a decade, and your claim that it originated on 4chan in 2015 is shockingly, embarrassingly, stupidly ignorant. Even if your circle-jerk claim about PM had merit, that still wouldn't make your howler any less hysterically funny.

Dave
Dave, every group of people pushing a cause or raising awareness on a subject is going to have people who hate researching facts and evidence on their own, but I first became aware of the reality of the controlled demolition debate a little more than a couple of years ago. I started on AE911TRUTH, and have watched every decently-circulated 9/11 truth documentary out there. I have no recollection of any documentary that completely makes the argument that 'Jet fuel and office fires cannot melt steel, therefore the buildings could not have collapsed'. Loose Change 3 got close, but that's all. I have no recollection of seeing a truther on the numerous online channels I follow seriously make that argument. I only know of a couple well-known nuts like William Rodriguez.

Last edited by MicahJava; 12th December 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:19 PM   #22
MicahJava
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

This is just too easy. MicahJava, is this your Christmas present to the skeptics here?
I mean, it kind of restates my point when you have to go back to some garlic hippy site from 2006 to find an example.

As a more mainstream example, am I mistaken in my memory that no version of Loose Change has ever made that same argument?
Old 12th December 2017, 10:34 PM   #23
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Apart from the rather well-publicised instance of Rosie O'Donnell saying it on The View on March 29th 2007, that is. But, hey, that only predates your first instance by eight years.

Do you ever get anything right?

Dave

As a funny meme, though, mocking it, he's right, not you. That's where Simpsons got it from.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 12th December 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 11:46 PM   #24
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, it kind of restates my point when you have to go back to some garlic hippy site from 2006 to find an example.

As a more mainstream example, am I mistaken in my memory that no version of Loose Change has ever made that same argument?
Yeah mistaken memory syndrome: Loose Change 2nd Edition:

Quote:
" Although the buildings were designed to withstand a 150-year storm and the impact of a Boeing 707, jet fuel burning at 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit weakened the steel. "
Kevin Ryan. Underwriters Laboratories, the company that certified the steel that was used in the World Trade Center, in a letter to Frank Gayle of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
" We know that the steel components were certified to ASTM E119. The time temperature curves for this standard require the samples to be exposed to temperatures around 2000F for several hours. And as we all agree, the steel applied met those specifications. Additionally, I think we can all agree that even un-fireproofed steel will not melt until reaching red-hot temperatures of nearly 3000F. "

Last edited by Brainster; 12th December 2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM   #25
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

How does this restate your point? I have quoted it again, as you appear to have forgotten what you said.
You said it wasn't popularised intil lare 2015. I gave another example- one of several posted here- showing it predated that by several years. I would say that contradicts your point. Wouldn't you?
You also said you had never met a truther who didn't know that jet fuel can weaken steel. Now, given your instant contempt for this guy, I doubt you've met, but he is still an example of a truther who thinks it can't. Again, I would say this demolishes your argument, at freefall speed, into its own footprint, in an unprecedented manner. Wouldn't you?
Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM   #26
Dave Rogers

Dave, every group of people pushing a cause or raising awareness on a subject is going to have people who hate researching facts and evidence on their own,
...and choose instead to make up their own facts and evidence. Yes, I know that all too well.

but I first became aware of the reality of the controlled demolition debate a little more than a couple of years ago.
And, in your usual style, decided that whatever you found out then constituted the totality of the evidence, and that anything you didn't find out couldn't possibly have happened because you're too good a researcher to have missed it. As a result, you formed the erroneous notion that "I have no recollection of this" constitutes a thorough refutation of a claim, to the continuing amusement of those of us who've been following this game for a decade and remember things you don't because - not to put too fine a point on it - you're a newcomer to the field who's extremely ignorant of what went on in it before you joined.

I know you won't actually take any notice of that, and you'll carry on acting as if you're the world's greatest expert on everything you momentarily turn your mind too. And the rest of us will go on laughing.

Dave

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories