ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "The Simpsons"

Reply
Old 4th December 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,676
Simpsons' Character a Truther

I happened to be watching a year-old episode of the Simpsons, which ended with this bit:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


At about 38 seconds in he says, "Five words. Jet fuel can't melt steel!"

I just about fell out of my chair laughing. Part of the enjoyment was wondering just how many people out there got the gag.

If you aren't familiar with the show, the guy is Milhouse's dad, who's always been portrayed as something of a loser. Note in particular that he only expresses his Trutherism when he's getting drunk. So I certainly don't think the Truthers will be rushing to embrace him as a new celebrity Truther.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 07:08 PM   #2
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 24,814
A cartoon is a failed truther's expert.
__________________
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein
"... education as the means of developing our greatest abilities" - JFK
https://folding.stanford.edu/ fold with your computer - join team 13232
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:40 PM   #3
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,379
Best they got so far!

Seriously, though, had this been made in 2007 there would be posts from Dylan & crew saying how 'Someone on the staff agrees with us!!!!'.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,676
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Best they got so far!

Seriously, though, had this been made in 2007 there would be posts from Dylan & crew saying how 'Someone on the staff agrees with us!!!!'.
Remember how thrilled they were about the South Park episode? Never mind that it stated that the Truthers were all morons. Matt & Trey even marveled about it afterwards on a podcast (IIRC).
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:45 PM   #5
332nd
Penultimate Amazing
 
332nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,136
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Remember how thrilled they were about the South Park episode? Never mind that it stated that the Truthers were all morons. Matt & Trey even marveled about it afterwards on a podcast (IIRC).
My favorite about that one was when they edited down to about 11min, & insisted that it was the real cut & everyone saying "a bunch of pissed off Muslims" was to prevent "THEM" from killing Matt & Trey. The evidence was that otherwise it wouldn't be so easy to edit it down to the real message.
__________________
The poster formerly known as Redtail
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:11 PM   #6
MicahJava
Master Poster
 
MicahJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,280
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I happened to be watching a year-old episode of the Simpsons, which ended with this bit:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


At about 38 seconds in he says, "Five words. Jet fuel can't melt steel!"

I just about fell out of my chair laughing. Part of the enjoyment was wondering just how many people out there got the gag.

If you aren't familiar with the show, the guy is Milhouse's dad, who's always been portrayed as something of a loser. Note in particular that he only expresses his Trutherism when he's getting drunk. So I certainly don't think the Truthers will be rushing to embrace him as a new celebrity Truther.
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.

In fact, I think the usage of the phrase really launched off when this was uploaded to Black Twitter:



Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.

Last edited by MicahJava; 6th December 2017 at 10:13 PM.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:28 AM   #7
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,320
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.
Apart from the rather well-publicised instance of Rosie O'Donnell saying it on The View on March 29th 2007, that is. But, hey, that only predates your first instance by eight years.

Do you ever get anything right?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:36 AM   #8
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.



Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
As I have pointed out before, this meme appears on AE911truth's website.
Quote:
Dr. Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl, another supporter of the official story and the first structural engineer given access to the WTC steel, told PBS, “I saw melting of girders in [the] World Trade Center.”
Jet fuel cannot melt steel, but, asserts Rice, “thermite incendiaries can . . . create temperatures in excess of 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, “instantly melting/severing short segments of steel columns and beams.” Chemical evidence of thermite found in the powdered debris by physicist Dr. Steven Jones is cited by Rice, by Obeid, and by Clark Townsend.
MicahJava: are you going to point out their error to them?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:47 AM   #9
pgimeno
Illuminator
 
pgimeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 3,262
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
I've seen many truthers in forums that didn't know that fire can weaken steel. The "Sherman necklaces" videos were typically devastating to that claim.

In this 2006 video, Jeff King (deceptively announced as a "MIT engineer" even though he graduated in biology there) says that "steel keeps a lot of its structural integrity even when heated; until you begin to approach the melting point you don't really see a catastrophic loss of strength" (at about 3:50).

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


He doesn't literally say it can't be weakened, but he does say you have to approach the melting point for it to be weakened significantly, which is of course ********.
__________________
Ask questions. Demand answers. But be prepared to accept the answers, or don't ask questions in the first place.
pgimeno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:32 AM   #10
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,379
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Back in the days of USENET (which will give you an idea how long ago this was) I encountered plenty of truthers who didn't just think fire couldn't weaken steel, they flipping knew.

When I showed one truther (The BeDoper troll, for those who remember) a graph showing the strenght of steel vs its temperature he turned into a raging ball of spit and curses.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 09:42 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,320
"We have been lied to," announces the Web site AttackOnAmerica.net. "The first lie was that the load of fuel from the aircraft was the cause of structural failure. No kerosene fire can burn hot enough to melt steel." The posting is entitled "Proof Of Controlled Demolition At The WTC."

From the rather well-known Popular Mechanics article of March 2005. We're going back more than ten years now.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:11 AM   #12
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 24,814
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and ...

In fact, I think the usage of the phrase really launched off when this was uploaded to Black Twitter:
...
Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
What does this nonsense have to do with ae911t using the meme to support idiotic lies?

Quote:
Jet fuel cannot melt steel, but, asserts Rice, (ae911t today on their web site)
9/11 truth, the movement based on the gullibility and overwhelming ignorance of the followers. A religious cult repeating evidence free claims.



Quote:
ogrady from pilots for truth woo forum of big dumbed down lies, post Feb 20 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #34
...
Just like jet fuel can't melt steel, aluminum can't fly through steel. It's elementary.
oops, the jet fuel can't melt steel has been used since the first failed 9/11 truth liar started it.

Darn,
Quote:
Re: Reply to people who say jet fuel can't melt steel
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 25, 2007 10:05PM
Jet fuel can't melt steel was started by 9/11 truth nuts. Like your failed JFK claims, you can't get anything right about 9/11 truth lies, and offer no evidence for 9/11 truth claims, like your JFK claims.
__________________
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein
"... education as the means of developing our greatest abilities" - JFK
https://folding.stanford.edu/ fold with your computer - join team 13232
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,416
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
..."jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan ...

...I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Damned! I had the mouth full of hot chocolate when I read that! Luckily I was in a somber mood from having read about WW1 before coming here and thus not prone to laugh too suddenly!
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 09:40 AM   #14
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oystein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15,416
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.

...
Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Not exactly AE911TRUTH? Hahaha! Aaaaahahahaha!! So hilarious! LOL!

Look what AE911Truth spread TODAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71fwKA9Udso&t=3m19s
Quote Kathy McGrade, one of their cherished "experts" that "speak out":
"In an office fire, you cannot generate enough heat to melt steel."
LOL hahaha!
__________________
Thermodynamics hates conspiracy theorists. (Foster Zygote)
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 11:47 PM   #15
MicahJava
Master Poster
 
MicahJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,280
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"We have been lied to," announces the Web site AttackOnAmerica.net. "The first lie was that the load of fuel from the aircraft was the cause of structural failure. No kerosene fire can burn hot enough to melt steel." The posting is entitled "Proof Of Controlled Demolition At The WTC."

From the rather well-known Popular Mechanics article of March 2005. We're going back more than ten years now.

Dave
Popular Mechanics is a debunked shillerea. Next.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2017, 11:48 PM   #16
MicahJava
Master Poster
 
MicahJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,280
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Not exactly AE911TRUTH? Hahaha! Aaaaahahahaha!! So hilarious! LOL!

Look what AE911Truth spread TODAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71fwKA9Udso&t=3m19s
Quote Kathy McGrade, one of their cherished "experts" that "speak out":
"In an office fire, you cannot generate enough heat to melt steel."
LOL hahaha!
Yeah, referring to the possibility of molten iron in the rubble and the microspheres.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 01:58 AM   #17
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Popular Mechanics is a debunked shillerea. Next.
Obviously I have complete faith in you, MicahJava, but for those doubters out there, do you have anything more than 'take my word for it' to back up this otherwise totally unsupported assertion?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 01:58 AM   #18
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,429
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Yeah, referring to the possibility of molten iron in the rubble and the microspheres.
Wait, now you're claiming that this is a truther argument?
Were you lying?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 09:51 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,320
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Popular Mechanics is a debunked shillerea. Next.
Are you going for some award for missing the point by the greatest possible distance? The point is that the belief that the WTC collapses must have been caused by explosives because jet fuel fires could not have melted steel has been commonly held in the 9/11 truth movement for well over a decade, and your claim that it originated on 4chan in 2015 is shockingly, embarrassingly, stupidly ignorant. Even if your circle-jerk claim about PM had merit, that still wouldn't make your howler any less hysterically funny.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.

In fact, I think the usage of the phrase really launched off when this was uploaded to Black Twitter:



Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Here's another one, from 2006.

http://www.garlicandgrass.org/issue6/Dave_Heller.cfm

Quote:
The official story maintains that fires weakened the buildings. Jet fuel supposedly burned so hot it began to melt the steel columns supporting the towers. But steel-framed skyscrapers have never collapsed from fire, since they're built from steel that doesn't melt below 2750 degrees Fahrenheit. No fuel, not even jet fuel, which is really just refined kerosene, will burn hotter than 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is just too easy. MicahJava, is this your Christmas present to the skeptics here?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 10:14 PM   #21
MicahJava
Master Poster
 
MicahJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,280
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Are you going for some award for missing the point by the greatest possible distance? The point is that the belief that the WTC collapses must have been caused by explosives because jet fuel fires could not have melted steel has been commonly held in the 9/11 truth movement for well over a decade, and your claim that it originated on 4chan in 2015 is shockingly, embarrassingly, stupidly ignorant. Even if your circle-jerk claim about PM had merit, that still wouldn't make your howler any less hysterically funny.

Dave
Dave, every group of people pushing a cause or raising awareness on a subject is going to have people who hate researching facts and evidence on their own, but I first became aware of the reality of the controlled demolition debate a little more than a couple of years ago. I started on AE911TRUTH, and have watched every decently-circulated 9/11 truth documentary out there. I have no recollection of any documentary that completely makes the argument that 'Jet fuel and office fires cannot melt steel, therefore the buildings could not have collapsed'. Loose Change 3 got close, but that's all. I have no recollection of seeing a truther on the numerous online channels I follow seriously make that argument. I only know of a couple well-known nuts like William Rodriguez.

Last edited by MicahJava; 12th December 2017 at 10:16 PM.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 10:19 PM   #22
MicahJava
Master Poster
 
MicahJava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,280
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Here's another one, from 2006.

http://www.garlicandgrass.org/issue6/Dave_Heller.cfm



This is just too easy. MicahJava, is this your Christmas present to the skeptics here?
I mean, it kind of restates my point when you have to go back to some garlic hippy site from 2006 to find an example.

As a more mainstream example, am I mistaken in my memory that no version of Loose Change has ever made that same argument?
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 10:34 PM   #23
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,082
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Apart from the rather well-publicised instance of Rosie O'Donnell saying it on The View on March 29th 2007, that is. But, hey, that only predates your first instance by eight years.

Do you ever get anything right?

Dave

As a funny meme, though, mocking it, he's right, not you. That's where Simpsons got it from.
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 12th December 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 11:46 PM   #24
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,676
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
I mean, it kind of restates my point when you have to go back to some garlic hippy site from 2006 to find an example.

As a more mainstream example, am I mistaken in my memory that no version of Loose Change has ever made that same argument?
Yeah mistaken memory syndrome: Loose Change 2nd Edition:

Quote:
" Although the buildings were designed to withstand a 150-year storm and the impact of a Boeing 707, jet fuel burning at 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit weakened the steel. "
Kevin Ryan. Underwriters Laboratories, the company that certified the steel that was used in the World Trade Center, in a letter to Frank Gayle of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
" We know that the steel components were certified to ASTM E119. The time temperature curves for this standard require the samples to be exposed to temperatures around 2000F for several hours. And as we all agree, the steel applied met those specifications. Additionally, I think we can all agree that even un-fireproofed steel will not melt until reaching red-hot temperatures of nearly 3000F. "
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.

Last edited by Brainster; 12th December 2017 at 11:48 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM   #25
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Brainster, do you realize that "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is just a meme popularized in late 2015 by 4chan and https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter.

In fact, I think the usage of the phrase really launched off when this was uploaded to Black Twitter:



Not exactly AE911TRUTH. I have never met a truther who didn't know that fire can weaken steel.
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Here's another one, from 2006.

http://www.garlicandgrass.org/issue6/Dave_Heller.cfm



This is just too easy. MicahJava, is this your Christmas present to the skeptics here?
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
I mean, it kind of restates my point when you have to go back to some garlic hippy site from 2006 to find an example.

As a more mainstream example, am I mistaken in my memory that no version of Loose Change has ever made that same argument?
How does this restate your point? I have quoted it again, as you appear to have forgotten what you said.
You said it wasn't popularised intil lare 2015. I gave another example- one of several posted here- showing it predated that by several years. I would say that contradicts your point. Wouldn't you?
You also said you had never met a truther who didn't know that jet fuel can weaken steel. Now, given your instant contempt for this guy, I doubt you've met, but he is still an example of a truther who thinks it can't. Again, I would say this demolishes your argument, at freefall speed, into its own footprint, in an unprecedented manner. Wouldn't you?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM   #26
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,320
Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Dave, every group of people pushing a cause or raising awareness on a subject is going to have people who hate researching facts and evidence on their own,
...and choose instead to make up their own facts and evidence. Yes, I know that all too well.

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
but I first became aware of the reality of the controlled demolition debate a little more than a couple of years ago.
And, in your usual style, decided that whatever you found out then constituted the totality of the evidence, and that anything you didn't find out couldn't possibly have happened because you're too good a researcher to have missed it. As a result, you formed the erroneous notion that "I have no recollection of this" constitutes a thorough refutation of a claim, to the continuing amusement of those of us who've been following this game for a decade and remember things you don't because - not to put too fine a point on it - you're a newcomer to the field who's extremely ignorant of what went on in it before you joined.

I know you won't actually take any notice of that, and you'll carry on acting as if you're the world's greatest expert on everything you momentarily turn your mind too. And the rest of us will go on laughing.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.