ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Old 5th December 2017, 01:54 PM   #41
dann
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Just get rid of international sports competitions? OK.

Just get rid of sports competitions.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:05 PM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Just get rid of sports competitions.
Why?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:08 PM   #43
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I think your version of the Olympics might be a little bloated and unwieldy.

I'd like you to run it though, as the Olympics are a bit of a bore.
Let all the groups claiming to be the Olympics select the weightlifters they reach an agreement with.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:29 PM   #44
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I really doubt that anyone becomes transgender just to have an athletic advantage.
Probably depends on how easy it is. In the UK there's currently an initiative to amend the Gender Recognition Act to remove all conditions for getting a so-called "Gender Certificate", which basically makes it illegal for organizations or groups restricted to the gender on that certificate to refuse you for that reason.

Right now the conditions are having gender dysphoria and living as the acquired gender for at least two years. So it's unlikely someone is going to get a medical diagnosis and change their gender role merely for athletic advantage. The initiative would however remove those conditions and grants it on simple self-declaration, so it'll be more likely to see it used for athletic and other advantage.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:54 PM   #45
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And yet it doesn't matter enough that drivers (riders?) are selected the same way as horse jockeys.
You'd be surprised. I've met a bunch of the top riders up to and including Freddie Spencer and they're all smaller guys. The largest pro racer I've met was Scott Russel and he was still significantly smaller than I am.

The long running joke is this: "If I was 100 lbs lighter none of you could beat me!"

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 10:35 PM   #46
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
They can still compete though

They just cant do it waving a Russian flag

And when one of the top nations in the medal table says "Independent" I think 99% of people will just think "Russia did well this year"
Some may be able to compete. No flag. No anthem. They may call them "athletes from Russia".

Read about the extent that the state sponsored deceiving the IOC. 1/3 of medalists were on the list of cheaters.

There's an easy solution to this problem and it has worked well for quite some time.

Trying to medically determine if a transgender man can fairly compete with women sounds imprecise, and at best is guesswork. Ridiculous. If you were born a man then that's what you are as far as sports are concerned. Like I said, verrrry simple. if you can't deal with that, try chess.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 10:44 PM   #47
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I really doubt that anyone becomes transgender just to have an athletic advantage. There have been cases of men trying to present themselves as women to gain athletic advantage, but that is not at all the same thing as being transgender, just as wearing drag to a costume party does not make a man into a transgender woman.
The debate has moved on to the extent that it is seriously being considered by the UK government that gender should be a matter for self-identification.

Quote:
Under plans being considered by ministers, adults will be able to change their birth certificates at will without a doctor’s diagnosis, while non-binary gender people will be able to record their gender as “X”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7855381.html
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 11:38 PM   #48
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Was reading about Canada's C-16 bill the other day.

If anyone can be bothered googling it is quite amusing, If a tad scary.

Among other things it makes publications both public and private (e.g. tutors notes in uni's) refering to someone by their wrong chosen gender pronoun a hate crime.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 12:59 AM   #49
Cavemonster
Illuminator

I actually don't really see a real issue for athletics.

We call certain sports and events "Women's" but they are actually "Female's". The reason behind having separate "men's" and "women's" athletics is based in differences of sex, not differences of gender. We happen to use gender terms because of how we have historically viewed them, but no one really disagrees that it is sex that is meant to be distinguished.

So although we call it "Women's Basketball" (or whatever sport) we actually mean "Female's Basketball" (or whatever sport). Trans women are women (gender) but they are not females (sex). So there is absolutely no contradiction in recognizing that trans women are really women but that they may be barred from competing in female designated sports.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:01 AM   #50
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

While the article was about sport, its only ancillary to the subject rather than the subject. It was only up because I was too lazy to find this one: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/10/05...nder-students/

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
I find situations like this interesting.

It shows that we are at a strange interval in equality, we are not quite at the point where we can have real frank useful discussions,we are all about being nice, but we are afraid to be reasonable for fear of being mean.

That is not showing trans people respect, that is treating them like disabled children, unable to understand to be reasonable, through no fault of their own.
Nicely put.

I don't think there's an easy answer, and I certainly don't think the answer is to state that trans women are women.

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
The debate has moved on to the extent that it is seriously being considered by the UK government that gender should be a matter for self-identification.
Looks like I need to update my thinking to "Transitioning is a choice."

That legislation is straight-out bollocks.

Among other things it makes publications both public and private (e.g. tutors notes in uni's) refering to someone by their wrong chosen gender pronoun a hate crime.
Equally-stupid legislation.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:11 AM   #51
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Would it destroy women's sport if we let 0.3% of male athletes compete against them? I think probably, yeah it would.
If I'm part of the 0.3%, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:46 AM   #52
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Aber View Post

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7855381.html
Prime examples of idiots taking it too far.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 02:41 AM   #53
Worm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Its a pretty damn big deal in some motorsports. I've heard 1 kg is worth .03 seconds per lap on the average F1 track. Doesn't sound like much but thats just about 2 seconds over the course of a race per kilo. Most drivers are smaller than average and I've heard stories of them starving themselves leading up to a race weekend.

Their height also matters the higher the drivers head the more drag.
The heavier the car the less the drivers weight will impact performance, and that goes even more so if your mostly drafting. So its not too critical for NASCAR for example.
Interestingly, this has only fairly recently become such an issue in F1.

F1 cars have a minimum weight specification (currently 728kg). They used to actually have to work to meet this requirement by adding ballast - somewhere in the region of 150kg. The advantage of a lighter driver was that they were able to shift more weight, and hence balance the car - the centre of gravity is not so rooted in the centre of the car with the driver, and they could shift the balance where it is most needed - which varies from track to track.

These days, with larger, heaver power units and additional tech requirements, ballast is not such a major factor. F1 teams are fairly secretive but I have heard some comments that some F1 teams may well not be using ballast at all in order to minimise weight.

However, while it is a general rule of thumb that heavier=slower, the relationship between weight, power, aerodynamics and grip are complex, and it's perfectly possible for a heaver car to go faster than a lighter one if the additional weight compensates by adding more overall speed.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:09 AM   #54
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Prime examples of idiots taking it too far.
Exactly harassing freaks like this should have special legal sanction.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 06:45 AM   #55
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I seem to remember much the same discussions about trans tennis player Renee Richards.

The conclusion was that though Richards might enjoy an advantage at first, this would rapidly dissapear as continued use of female hormones would tend to equalize the difference.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 07:00 AM   #56
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I seem to remember much the same discussions about trans tennis player Renee Richards.

The conclusion was that though Richards might enjoy an advantage at first, this would rapidly dissapear as continued use of female hormones would tend to equalize the difference.
Except that the new initiatives in the UK (and apparently Canada) are so as to remove any conditions from legal gender reassignment. So no requirements for hormone therapy, or to actually have gender dysphoria or anything at all. I would be able to just go to the city hall and get a certificate to enter women's sports without needing to change anything about myself. Under those conditions it's a bit easier to see how that might get abused.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:16 AM   #57
lobosrul5
Student

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
However, while it is a general rule of thumb that heavier=slower, the relationship between weight, power, aerodynamics and grip are complex, and it's perfectly possible for a heaver car to go faster than a lighter one if the additional weight compensates by adding more overall speed.
Sure, but having extra "dead weight" will always make a car accelerate and take corners just that bit slower. Its super important in open wheel racing on road/street courses. NASCAR where they cruise around on high banked ovals, not so much.

Its mainly the batteries that make current F1 cars so heavy and with less room for ballast.

But, back to the topic, no its not fair to let a man compete in women's sports. Its perfectly fair to allow women to race competitively.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:28 AM   #58
dann
Illuminator

Do you know if it's a question of inertia and mass rather than weight?
I'm asking because I'm wondering about the thingies (don't know the word) that aerodynamically press down a racing car to give it more grip, i.e. make it 'heavier' without adding (significant) extra mass.

PS It just occurred to me that this has got nothing to do with the theme of this thread, sorry!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 6th December 2017 at 08:31 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:02 AM   #59
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

By this reasoning, Russian athletes aren't women either.

This is just one step up from the former argument that if you don't want to have sex with them, they aren't really women (which means your mother isn't a woman either).

(On the more productive topic than the OP personal hangups on women, there are many medical conditions that prevent people from engaging in competitive sports, and being transgender is generally one of them.)
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:33 AM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

This is just one step up from the former argument that if you don't want to have sex with them, they aren't really women (which means your mother isn't a woman either).

(On the more productive topic than the OP personal hangups on women, there are many medical conditions that prevent people from engaging in competitive sports, and being transgender is generally one of them.)
What are you talking about?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:56 AM   #61
Scootch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If I'm part of the 0.3%, it wouldn't make a bit of difference.
Yeah but what are the chances you would be in the 0.3%?
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:02 PM   #62
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly harassing freaks like this should have special legal sanction.
Nope. Not what I said at all. They are already protected under law from harassment same as you and I.

Hurting their feelings shouldn't be illegal any more than hurting my feelings is. Which is good for you because you just did. Or should I call the police?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:39 PM   #63
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

And the gigantic Russian straw athelete sprints in from left field....
Old 6th December 2017, 11:06 PM   #64
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't know if the 0.3% of trans people will really tip the balance that much, but it sure isn't fair _IF_ the trans woman has the build and hormones of a man.
Well you don't have to worry about that, because they don't.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:08 PM   #65
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Doesn't take a lot. One transwoman weightlifter levels the playing field for all the ciswomen weightlifters. All the records become her records. Any woman who competes in the same tournaments or championships must accept second place as her highest aspiration. Any woman who competes in events without the transwoman must accept that their first place exists in her shadow.

Would it destroy women's sport if we let 0.3% of male athletes compete against them? I think probably, yeah it would.
Assumes facts not in evidence.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:10 PM   #66
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

And yet it doesn't matter enough that drivers (riders?) are selected the same way as horse jockeys.
Tell that to Nico Hulkenberg. He's lost out on several F1 drives due to being the biggest guy in the field.
Old 6th December 2017, 11:15 PM   #67
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

If transwomen are allowed to compete athletically as women, it will effectively exclude ciswomen from athletic competition.

We need federal legislation to carve out a special Title for genetic women so they won't be swarmed by genetic men in athletics!

Women need to be active, too! Sorry, genetic women!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 11:31 PM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Tell that to Nico Hulkenberg. He's lost out on several F1 drives due to being the biggest guy in the field.
And yet riders still aren't selected like jockeys.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:29 AM   #69
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

Yes, but the height advantage never goes away. In some sports it isn't that big a deal, but in tennis, basketball and volleyball there is a huge advantage to being tall, and thus usually the best players are taller than average. Venus Williams is 6'1", which I am sure puts her in the top 1/1000th of all women, and would put her in the top 10% or so of men. And she's not even the tallest woman in the top 10; Sharapova's an inch taller.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 12:35 AM   #70
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is this a real problem?
Old 7th December 2017, 01:06 AM   #71
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Is this a real problem?
If your talking transgender and female weightlifting in NZ . Yep
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 01:49 AM   #72
This is The End

I tend to look at it in these simple terms:

Sports have rules.

Womens basketball has a rule. No men.

Technically that is a sexist rule, by definition. It is discriminatory on its face. It is the price of having that sport exist in that way.

So while it is obviously also discriminatory to have a rule something like:

Womens basketball has a new rule. No transwomen.

It shouldn't really be any different than before... It again is the price of having that sport exist in that way.

I'm not really seeing how there is a "new" problem even in light of the current civil rights environment.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:35 AM   #73
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Are Transwomen who have undergone hormone therapy for a few years really advantaged compared to cis-women with advantageous genetics? I guess they might have some advantage in proportions/leverage, but on balance, I really wonder.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:54 AM   #74
Roboramma
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Are Transwomen who have undergone hormone therapy for a few years really advantaged compared to cis-women with advantageous genetics? I guess they might have some advantage in proportions/leverage, but on balance, I really wonder.
As I understand (based only on listening to a doctor on a podcast) the advantage in bone density lasts for decades.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 03:32 AM   #75
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
As I understand (based only on listening to a doctor on a podcast) the advantage in bone density lasts for decades.
Ah, that is indeed something I failed to consider.
Old 7th December 2017, 04:08 AM   #76
JJM 777
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Or else, next thing we have a boxer claiming to be a feather weight trapped in a heavy weight body!
Those darn genetic disorders of melabolism. Where is the fairness and equality for them?
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 05:26 AM   #77
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

If your talking transgender and female weightlifting in NZ . Yep
Problem is a bit of a stretch.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:07 AM   #78
Civet
Graduate Poster

An argument I've heard some is that it's important for transgirls to begin the biological portion of their transitions as early as possible since going through male puberty results in permanent physical changes that subsequent hormone therapy and surgeries cannot undo. That seems consistent with the position that some of the male advantages in sport simply cannot be erased using currently available medical techniques. Might be different for people who transition at a very early age.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:17 AM   #79
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
An argument I've heard some is that it's important for transgirls to begin the biological portion of their transitions as early as possible since going through male puberty results in permanent physical changes that subsequent hormone therapy and surgeries cannot undo. That seems consistent with the position that some of the male advantages in sport simply cannot be erased using currently available medical techniques. Might be different for people who transition at a very early age.
How is starting a boy or girl on hormone therapy before puberty not child abuse? There are instances of the kid changing his mind after starting. There is a reason for children not being deemed competent to make life altering decisions. If a child feels their right arm isn't theirs, should we allow an amputation?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:55 AM   #80
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Mommy, I don't want a circumcision I want that whole thing cut off and I want you to stop calling me David and I want those pills. If you don't do these things I will get a lawyer and claim child abuse. Oh, and you better give me back my shoes!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events