ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Today, 02:44 AM   #2441
ceptimus
puzzler

The horse meat, tainted eggs, Grenfell fire, and anything else that's gone wrong over the last few decades has occurred while we are part of the EU and operating under its regulations.

We are still part of the EU and won't be free of it for at least another year-and-a-half. Most likely we'll, from a regulation standpoint, still be effectively an EU member for a lot longer than that if the remain-supporting-faction (which of course includes the EU itself) are successful with their delaying and obfuscating tactics.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #2442
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
The horse meat, tainted eggs, Grenfell fire, and anything else that's gone wrong over the last few decades has occurred while we are part of the EU and operating under its regulations.

We are still part of the EU and won't be free of it for at least another year-and-a-half. Most likely we'll, from a regulation standpoint, still be effectively an EU member for a lot longer than that if the remain-supporting-faction (which of course includes the EU itself) are successful with their delaying and obfuscating tactics.
Exactly, even with the onerous and job killing EU regulation* these sorts of things happen (though in the cases quoted the issues are of enforcement not regulation - the responsibilities of the individual countries), imagine how much worse things will be when the regulations are repealed and companies are free to cut corners, adulterate and pollute as they see fit.

* - Though I thought Grenfel regulations were UK local and not EU
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #2443
Amazer
Graduate Poster

For the most part not an issue with regulations but with enforcement. I fail to see how the UK wile fare better at enforcing rules when it's outside the EU... Maybe something you can explain?
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:05 AM   #2444
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
For the most part not an issue with regulations but with enforcement. I fail to see how the UK wile fare better at enforcing rules when it's outside the EU... Maybe something you can explain?
Perhaps the UK will get better at enforcement because there won't be anything to enforce....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:48 AM   #2445
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

if the remain-supporting-faction (which of course includes the EU itself) are successful with their delaying and obfuscating tactics.
Is that the nefarious 'asking what you actually want' tactic or the underhanded 'sitting back and waiting for the leavers to work out a coherent plan for what they want to do' tactic?

Lets face it. Leavers are too thick to work out what they want and too thick to actually achieve it if they ever could work it out. Anyone with the brains to make a Brexit successful actually knows that Remain is the right answer.

As Trump is now discovering its a lot harder to actually do something useful than to throw **** at others
Old Today, 05:24 AM   #2446
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Is that the nefarious 'asking what you actually want' tactic or the underhanded 'sitting back and waiting for the leavers to work out a coherent plan for what they want to do' tactic?

Lets face it. Leavers are too thick to work out what they want and too thick to actually achieve it if they ever could work it out. Anyone with the brains to make a Brexit successful actually knows that Remain is the right answer.

As Trump is now discovering its a lot harder to actually do something useful than to throw **** at others
But in both cases the goal is to shake things up and not to improve anything
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #2447
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:58 AM   #2448
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
You don't understand do you? I'm not saying that horse meat in beef is due the EU, but when idiots raise the issue of horse meat and regulations in a thread about Brexit, it's only right to point out that Britain was, and still is, subject to EU regulations when that incident and ones like it occurred. Therefore to raise the issue as a reason for not exiting is irelevant at best.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #2449
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You don't understand do you? I'm not saying that horse meat in beef is due the EU, but when idiots raise the issue of horse meat and regulations in a thread about Brexit, it's only right to point out that Britain was, and still is, subject to EU regulations when that incident and ones like it occurred. Therefore to raise the issue as a reason for not exiting is irelevant at best.
How so ? That's like saying that crime is caused by having laws. In one sense that's true, if there was no crime of theft then there would be no thieves, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't be having their stuff nicked.

If people are concerned about food adulteration then IMO the most sensible course of action would be to better implement the regulations, agreed by 27 countries, that protect our food chain rather than to adopt a lower standard of regulation.
Old Today, 06:56 AM   #2450
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Yes, and as far as I can remember, we only had one horse meat crisis and only one fipronil-tainted eggs crisis, and they both lasted pretty short.

When you deregulate, you'll also only have one horse meat crisis, but it will be everlasting.

BTW, the egg crisis is heavily blown up. You'd have to eat dozens of eggs a day, for years, for your health to be affected.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; Today at 06:57 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #2451
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Seems that the government wants to limit the ECJ's role post-Brexit and some prominent Tories want its influence gone altogether and suggest:

Presumably whatever these ways are they sit outside the, already being paid for, ECJ. So we can add whatever these mechanisms will be to the lost of things to be paid for with the alleged £350m a week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41012265
That doesn't answer the question whether the ECJ is prepared to relinquish its authority. When it still asserts jurisdiction, after Brexit, over certain British matters, that would impede the possibility of British companies to trade in the EU.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #2452
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
That doesn't answer the question whether the ECJ is prepared to relinquish its authority. When it still asserts jurisdiction, after Brexit, over certain British matters, that would impede the possibility of British companies to trade in the EU.
Not when the EU finally comes to its senses and realises that, in David Davis and his team, they are completely outmatched and simply give England what we richly deserve - everything we want.

So UK companies will be able to sell any old tat, tariff free, into the EU
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #2453
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Yes, and as far as I can remember, we only had one horse meat crisis and only one fipronil-tainted eggs crisis, and they both lasted pretty short.

When you deregulate, you'll also only have one horse meat crisis, but it will be everlasting.

BTW, the egg crisis is heavily blown up. You'd have to eat dozens of eggs a day, for years, for your health to be affected.
Because generally you don't get polish products, otherwise you would know...

Czech agencies are active and catch as many violations as they can all the time (3 or 4 cases per year at minimum), but it is hard. Few years ago there was massive scandal where it was discovered that polish producers were cheating on massive scale: technical salt , clay and other non-edible stuff in food.

They are notorious for bad product quality.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #2454
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

My brother refused to wear his seat belt for a long time because he believed a friend of his could have survived a car accident by being thrown free of the car.

That's about the same argument you're making.

Regulations not stopping every bad thing from happening is not a rational reason to reduce them.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #2455
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

How amusing. EU regulations exposed the Burger King horse meat fiasco. Your answer? Chuck the regulations.

Add to that the proclivity of cranks to anthropomorphise horses. Why is a horse any different from a cow?
Old Today, 04:33 PM   #2456
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
How amusing. EU regulations exposed the Burger King horse meat fiasco. Your answer? Chuck the regulations.

Add to that the proclivity of cranks to anthropomorphise horses. Why is a horse any different from a cow?
Because a horse is a noble beast.
I clean my gun, and dream of Galveston ~ Glenn Campbell RIP
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:49 PM   #2457
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Because a horse is a noble beast.
Indeed good Vixen. Ever seen an empire won on the back of a cow?
Guffaw, gufaw! Fnarr fnarr!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics