IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th October 2021, 11:58 PM   #81
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

"He was Mr Southend, he was Mr Essex, he would always put Southend front and centre of his work and that was David through and through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58941729
Oh for gawd sake. I'm born and bred in Southend and no, he was not Mr Southend. He was Mr "I'm going to milk this position for everything I can".

The outpouring of praise for this guy leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 02:01 AM   #82
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So it turns out the suspect, Ali Harbi Ali, may have been influenced by extreme Islam fundamentalism. However, as his father appears to be some high up civil servant in Somalia and Ali himself completed 'four years medical study' as an NHS doctor, he doesn't seem to fit the 'illegal immigrants/asylum seekers'-arriving-on-a-dinghy-at-Dover-and-getting-free-housing-and-benefits which seems to have the Lol Foxes of the world triggered. The DM is frothing at the mouth about Ali living in 'trendy' Kentish Town, apparently with an aunt. (Comment from reader: 'How do these immigrants get council houses when my kids can't'.) Good old British envy.

In the meantime the Danish/Norwegian guy with the bow and arrow who killed five people and injured several is now believed to be mentally ill, rather than a genuine convert to Islam.

So the problem is that rather than being motivated by extreme radicalisation, these people are just 'copy cat' killers. Their fifteen minutes of fame.

What to do about it?

Maybe the UK has becomes so polarised by hatred, it gives the lone wolf nutters a ready excuse for gratuitous violence against any perceived 'identified target'.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 03:32 AM   #83
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
The tabloid media in the UK abuse this facet of libel law frequently. In E&W, it's not libellous to print a "positive" story about someone - even if that story has been totally invented by the media outlet. Many articles about Diana, Princess of Wales (while she was still alive) fell into this category - including a memorable one where it was (mis)reported that she'd rescued a vagrant from drowning in Kensington Park one night. And many, many stories about the likes of pop stars and sports stars are of the same type.
It might not be libellous, but the subject of the story might well have a case for malicious falsehood, where no defamation has to take place but the plaintiff must have suffered some sort of material damage. For example, Gordon Kaye sued for malicious falsehood when a newspaper printed a faked interview with him, as it meant he couldn't then sell the exclusive rights to his story to someone else. He didn't have to prove he planned to, or even wanted to; only that it was possible that he might.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 03:57 AM   #84
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
So it turns out the suspect, Ali Harbi Ali, may have been influenced by extreme Islam fundamentalism. However, as his father appears to be some high up civil servant in Somalia and Ali himself completed 'four years medical study' as an NHS doctor, he doesn't seem to fit the 'illegal immigrants/asylum seekers'-arriving-on-a-dinghy-at-Dover-and-getting-free-housing-and-benefits which seems to have the Lol Foxes of the world triggered. The DM is frothing at the mouth about Ali living in 'trendy' Kentish Town, apparently with an aunt. (Comment from reader: 'How do these immigrants get council houses when my kids can't'.) Good old British envy.

In the meantime the Danish/Norwegian guy with the bow and arrow who killed five people and injured several is now believed to be mentally ill, rather than a genuine convert to Islam.

So the problem is that rather than being motivated by extreme radicalisation, these people are just 'copy cat' killers. Their fifteen minutes of fame.

What to do about it?

Maybe the UK has becomes so polarised by hatred, it gives the lone wolf nutters a ready excuse for gratuitous violence against any perceived 'identified target'.
Terrorism is pretty often a hobby of the well-off not the wretched of the Earth. Osama bin Laden was hardly a pauper, nor Ayman al-Zawahiri. The Baader-Meinhoff Gang were mostly middle class, Aum Shinrikyo were from top universities in Japan; the Japanese Red Army, too.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 03:57 AM   #85
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A man has been arrested in connection with a death threat being sent to Labour's Rhondda MP Chris Bryant.

South Wales Police said a 76-year-old from Pontycymer, Bridgend county, was arrested on suspicion of malicious communications.
Officers were called at about 16:30 BST on 16 October after reports of malicious communications being sent.

Mr Bryant said he got the death threat after calling for people to be kinder following Sir David Amess's death.
He said he faced abuse every year has been an MP, adding: "The year before it was anti-vaxxers, the year before we had Brexit campaigners plastering the word 'traitor' all over my office."

Welsh politicians in security talks after MP death
Should MPs still be able to meet the public?
Speaking to Claire Summers on Radio Wales Breakfast, he said MPs were usually more reluctant to go to police about abuse as the they knew how busy officers were.

He added: "I hope everyone dials down the nastiness in politics. It's been six years of everyone calling each other traitor. That needs to end, we need to be nicer to each other.
"It's pretty sour. It's more sour now than I've known it in 20 years."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58951337
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 04:35 AM   #86
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
It might not be libellous, but the subject of the story might well have a case for malicious falsehood, where no defamation has to take place but the plaintiff must have suffered some sort of material damage. For example, Gordon Kaye sued for malicious falsehood when a newspaper printed a faked interview with him, as it meant he couldn't then sell the exclusive rights to his story to someone else. He didn't have to prove he planned to, or even wanted to; only that it was possible that he might.
I hope the mods will forgive the digression, but Bill Bailey told a great story about what the papers are happy to print about anyone in the public eye in his last one man show (shown on TV a couple of weeks ago).

He said he'd received a tweet quoting an email conversation the tweeter was having with The Sun, in which he'd informed them he had filmed Bailey attempting to mount a lama in a field whilst drunk, and hurling abuse at him when he spotted him filming through a gap in the hedge. The Sun agreed to pay him £20,000 for the footage, which was the point at which he'd contacted Bailey. "What do you think, are you up for it? I'll split it fifty fifty, 10K each".

Bailey admitted he was sorely tempted.
Old 18th October 2021, 04:55 AM   #87
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Commentary from a British Labour Party politician in 'The Independant', she's calling for Social Media companies to collect names & addresses from users.

Quote:
In the days since the tragic death of Sir David there has been a big debate about keeping MPs safe. I have some personal experience of the fear many MPs feel. I get ten times more abuse online than any other MP, and some of it contains death threats. So, I feel strongly that online platforms like Facebook and Twitter can do a great deal more about abusive content.
There is the general abuse. But this is accompanied by incitement to racial hatred, incitement to hatred of women, and threats of violence. To limit this abusive content, social media companies need to put a stop to end-to-end secrecy on their platforms. People could continue to post anonymously. But the platform should always hold their name and address.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1939884.html

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 05:09 AM   #88
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Deleted as said more eloquently by others...

Last edited by Ethan Thane Athen; 18th October 2021 at 05:12 AM.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 07:24 AM   #89
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I presume Labour and the Lib-Dems won't put up candidates for the by-election?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 08:01 AM   #90
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So Her Maj is making Southend-on-Sea a city.

"Robert Peston
@Peston
@BorisJohnson
announces HM has agreed Southend will be given city status. Wonderful tribute to the much missed and wonderfully charming Sir David Amess. Moving moment"
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/14...669851143?s=20

Thinks: why would any place want to be a city? Where I live is classified as 'countryside' and we are resistant to becoming classified as a 'town'.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 11:14 AM   #91
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

Thinks: why would any place want to be a city? Where I live is classified as 'countryside' and we are resistant to becoming classified as a 'town'.
More funding.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 11:58 AM   #92
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
More funding.
Is will also be half way to being eligible to be the UK city of culture.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 12:07 PM   #93
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The one he had back in the 80s was pretty bad, now you come to mention it.
Well the most eighties haircuts were pretty terrible.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 05:30 AM   #94
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Southend the UK city of culture? That would be one hell of a sympathy vote
Old 19th October 2021, 07:10 AM   #95
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Liverpool was named a city of culture, which shows that the standards are below low.
Old 19th October 2021, 07:23 AM   #96
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Southend UK City of Culture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (1).jpg (27.4 KB, 49 views)

Old 19th October 2021, 10:17 AM   #97
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Can somebody please tell me how to pronounce "Amess"?
Old 19th October 2021, 10:35 AM   #98
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Can somebody please tell me how to pronounce "Amess"?
Eh mess

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events