IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 16th April 2008, 06:22 AM   #41
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
I was only joking about "running away", Astro. But, I have a very limited amount of time to post here. I'll try to respond to more of your comments and questions....but you'll have to patient.
To be honest my patience is pretty thin on your responses. You seem to repeat the phrase that you will get back to me but never seem to do so. We will be here....waiting....tick...tock...the world wonders.
Astrophotographer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 06:28 AM   #42
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

I sure have done some analysis, Astro. I've yet to see anything in the way of counter-analysis from you, though.
I have not done a single bit of counter-analysis simply because what you have presented so far is subjective interpretation of a blurry video. I keep asking for numbers and you keep claiming you do analysis, which is subjective. You also claim there is more evidence but you refuse to present it here in this forum.

I'm not refuting that 8" figure....I think it's a good approximation of the lift height.
Wait a sec....didn't you say it was too massive to be a mask? How is something only 8" tall "too massive"? Seems to me, a mask would be right about that height. It appears you have drawn a false conclusion in your subjective interpretation then (that it is too massive to be a mask).
Astrophotographer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 06:54 AM   #43
mikeyx
Banned

Astrophotographer wrote:

You are WRONG, Astro....on two counts.

First....you haven't pointed out one specific flaw in my analysis...other than your disagreeing with what I think the result of my analysis shows is the most likely explanation.

Second...My statement, quoted above, is not "my interpretation" of the height of the two lines in the 2-frame animated gif.

It's not an opinion as to whether one line is higher than the other line.
It's an objective fact. If you think that I'm wrong in stating that the 2nd line is higher than the first line....then feel free to demonstrate that.

If you can't demonstrate that....then you haven't given me, or anyone else, any reason to think that I'm wrong in saying the object continues to lift up higher in that sequence of frames.

I don't care whether or not you want to answer the question I asked you, regarding the lines in that gif. I'm not asking you again....because, as I said in my last post....you're not interested in providing any counter-analysis....and neither are you interested in directly answering my questions.
All you are interested in is asking me to "prove it's a Bigfoot w/infant"....and that's something I can't do, because I don't know for sure that it is a real Bigfoot.

I've never said that the video shows "a mother lifting an infant up in the air as it runs".

What I think is happening in the video, is that when the subject reappears into view....the subject first lifts the infant up onto it's shoulders, and, after walking 2 or 3 steps (positioning and steadying the infant), lets-go of it, at which point the infant quickly sits upright. I think that 'straightening-up of the infant' is what the quick rise in the subject's height actually is...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...eteLift1AB.gif

In this version I paused one frame, which I think shows the infant initially being lifted up...to then be placed down onto the subject's shoulders...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...eteLift1AA.gif

In this 3-frame gif....I placed lines at the top of the subject to show the change in height...from higher (infant being initially lifted-up), to lower (infant lowered onto the shoulders), and then higher again (infant sitting upright)...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...i/MDlift23.gif

One significant detail to notice is that during the entire lift sequence, the shape of the subject's head continually changes. The reason for that is simple....the lifted object is being moved around.

It's not due to "background noise", as someone suggested....because in the entire first segment of the video, when the subject is running....the shape of it's head does not change.
If it was due to background noise, the head would be changing shape throughout the video.

One more nail in the "mask theory's" coffin....if the lift is just a mask being flipped-up, why does it take 3 or 4 steps...the whole lift sequence...for the subject to lift it up??

(Answer...it doesn't take that long to lift up a mask...it's not a mask. )

That's the end of my analysis of the MD Video on this board.

The way I see it...if skeptics here can't readily admit that Patty's fingers bend...when it's very clear that they do...they'll never have anything constructive to contribute to the analysis of this video.
No, you are wrong, if not delusional. You were on BFF, SFB, and all the other places that banned you cuz they gotten sick of your pointless obsession with pixelated video, blobs and your condescending attitude....

You can look at what little resolution there is and tell the thing on the guys back is a back pack, and nothing more. Your so called analysis has only done thing, reinforce your tinfoil hat theory because it's obvious you see what you want to see, not WHAT'S THERE......
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 10:49 AM   #44
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Astro wrote;
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti
I'm not refuting that 8" figure....I think it's a good approximation of the lift height.

Wait a sec....didn't you say it was too massive to be a mask? How is something only 8" tall "too massive"? Seems to me, a mask would be right about that height. It appears you have drawn a false conclusion in your subjective interpretation then (that it is too massive to be a mask).

Yes...I said I think the object appears too large, or massive, to be a simple mask.

Here's one still that gives me a reason to say that...

A mask worn on the face is usually on the thin side.Does the object, in that frame...seen from the side...look very thin to you? It doesn't to me. It looks to be roughly about the same width as the subject's head.

If, on the other hand, it was an infant sitting on the subject's shoulders...then it's head would probably extend up above the subject's head by several inches (maybe 8" or so), while it's lower body would blend in with the subject's shoulder area.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 16th April 2008 at 10:50 AM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 11:12 AM   #45
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is terrible analysis, Sweaty. The "infant" (blue) is much too large to be sitting on a shoulder of the running figure. If you measure the infant from the bottom of its butt (on the shoulder) to the top of its head - that measurement is about the same height as the length of the runner's right arm. This means that the infant is nearly as tall (standing) as the running subject.

It can't be an infant because it is too tall.

The shoulder is not big enough for the huge 'infant' to sit on.

That 'infant' is big enough to run alongside the main subject.

This is ridiculous!

Old 16th April 2008, 11:30 AM   #46
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That's one hell of an infant you've got there, Lady Bigfoot.

Old 16th April 2008, 11:37 AM   #47
Drewbot
Philosopher

Parcher, Your MSPAINT skills are rivaling my own.
I must commend you
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 11:42 AM   #48
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

Yes...I said I think the object appears too large, or massive, to be a simple mask.
A mask worn on the face is usually on the thin side.Does the object, in that frame...seen from the side...look very thin to you? It doesn't to me.
If you lay a mask flat, it looks pretty wide. What prevents the mask from being held in such a way that it appears broad to the camera?

It looks to be roughly about the same width as the subject's head.
Hmmm.....If the object was as wide as the subject's head, might it not fit "over" the subject's head? Doesn't this mean that it might be (gasp) a mask? Instead, the "logical" deduction you reach is that it is too massive to be a mask and is, therefore, not a mask. The only person you seem to be convincing so far is yourself.
Old 16th April 2008, 11:43 AM   #49
Drewbot
Philosopher

Here are some of the pictures I put together for the MDF way back in the day.

Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2008, 11:44 AM   #50
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Parcher, Your MSPAINT skills are rivaling my own.
I must commend you

It definitely gets the point across and his skills are probably better than mine. I have a problem drawing straight lines with the line tool!
Old 16th April 2008, 12:13 PM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It seems like the options for the running figure are these:

1) A person intending to look like a Bigfoot (a hoax).
2) A person with no intent to look like a Bigfoot (not a hoax).
3) A real Bigfoot.
Old 16th April 2008, 01:00 PM   #52
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It seems like the options for the running figure are these:

1) A person intending to look like a Bigfoot (a hoax).
2) A person with no intent to look like a Bigfoot (not a hoax).
3) A real Bigfoot.
I would add
2A) A person with no intent to look like a Bigfoot (A hoax on the part of the viewers)
Old 16th April 2008, 02:03 PM   #53
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Right, but that falls under the options for the viewers, not the runner.

I really can't tell what I am seeing, but some enlarged still frames from the LMS DVD look fairly clear. For me, it does look like the subject is removing some piece(s) of apparel and holding or swinging the item(s) after reappearing from behind the hill.

Looks like the various posters in this thread have chosen all three options for the runner (hoaxer, no hoax intended, and Bigfoot). I'm stuck between option 1 and 2. I'd need much better animations and stills before deciding that the runner was definitely trying to look like a Bigfoot (hoaxer).

Drew, I know you put work into your paintballer theory, but I think you are into "MK Davis territory" with that. Patty has a hair braid, and your runner wears a Stetson hat.
Old 16th April 2008, 03:32 PM   #54
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

Drew, I know you put work into your paintballer theory, but I think you are into "MK Davis territory" with that. Patty has a hair braid, and your runner wears a Stetson hat.
I agree. Trying to read too much into these blurry videos is taking a leap from scientific analysis towards pseudoscientific analysis. These clips are not going to confirm anything. It can be considered a more likely possibility than a bigfoot with an infant because we know that paint ballers do exist. However, I would not go any farther than that. It is too much like seeing faces in the clouds. You see what you want to see.

Last edited by Astrophotographer; 16th April 2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 16th April 2008, 03:50 PM   #55
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Just to clarify Sweaty's position-

1. 95 People on that hill didn't see bigfoot
2. The thing was slower than a human
3. You can see a jacket flopping behind it
4. You can see it remove a mask

And you think the 'Most Likely' explanation is that it is an Unclassified, Hairy, Bipedal, Adolescent, Babysitting, ELUSIVE, primate, running across an open hillside, in broad daylight?
Oh! When you put all the evidence together I guess Sweaty is right.
Old 17th April 2008, 04:51 AM   #56
Drewbot
Philosopher

The Paintballer Theory was developed in order to show the ABSURDITY of these people thinking they were seeing a bigfoot. Of course you can't determine what type of person is running across the hill, but me adamantly defending the paintball theory was intended to paralell the defense of the Bigfoot argument.

Someone would get an email saying paintball is illegal on the hill, and I would get statements from Paintballers saying it is done, and from park rangers saying things like 'as long as youre safe it's fine'.

Someone would say look at the baby being lifted and I would show them a sharpened picture next to a Paintball mask.

Either way, now, the MDF is basically not considered evidence of bigfoot even by most proponents.
Old 17th April 2008, 07:05 AM   #57
mikeyx
Banned

Hey, I can always run away to the Mid-America board....

Where all the fringe element have their fun....
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2008, 07:08 AM   #58
mikeyx
Banned

Hey, I can always run away to the Mid-America board....

Where all the fringe element have their fun....
Old 18th April 2008, 06:05 PM   #59
zooman63
Student

I thought this footage was debunked ages ago..To me it looks like a human in a baggy furry suit, running , not very athletically, across the field. The resolution is too poor to
make out anything worthwhile. It's not moving very gracefully, and it moves exactly like a human. What was the decision on the Hoffman Footage?
zooman63 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2008, 11:46 AM   #60
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

If you reach over behind your neck with one hand to get at the neck of a mask or hood, your elbow can stick straight up.
Reaching across in front will tend to obscure your vision, because your elbow winds up in front of your eyes. Probably not a good idea while you're running.
Peeling a hood off, your elbow would come down, but your hand and the hood have to go a little higher than your head.
I think it's a guy in a ghillie suit, possibly with a short cape attached to the hood, peeling off the hood because he was getting hot after running.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2008, 07:04 PM   #61
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooman63 View Post
What was the decision on the Hoffman Footage?
Fake. After all, it was being used to promote a movie about a "scientific investigation" of Santa Claus.

Also, I love how the first line in Sweaty's .gif clearly goes through the background object that "merges" with the head in the third frame.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 02:24 PM   #62
zooman63
Student

I actually meant Freeman footage..I had a girlfriend in High School with big feet named Beth Hoffman..coinsidence??
zooman63 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 05:30 PM   #63
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooman63 View Post
I actually meant Freeman footage...
That's a fake as well. Even if you ignore that the Freeman Bigfoot looks similar to the costumes shown here and here (00:37) in the "normal view" and has some similarities to the costumes shown here, here (00:26), and here (02:34) when seen in an enlarged view of the film, there's still the fact that Freeman is an admitted hoaxer. The BFF folder on the film is full of problems with the film and Freeman's reputation. I especially like how a poster there, quoting either Grover Krantz or Jeff Meldrum, tried to gloss over how Freeman faked tracks in his old neighborhood and was apparently involved in a hoax involving a costume (Post #63).

I love claims that Freeman didn't have enough money to afford such costumes. This 1989 newspaper article notes that Freeman made around $2,000 off of his interest in Bigfoot (mostly due to a commercial he was in). The Freeman footage was filmed in the early 90's. I think you can figure out where I'm going with this...

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber

Last edited by AtomicMysteryMonster; 20th April 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo correction
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 02:40 AM   #64
cyclonic
Muse

This enlarged looping clip looks like a running person to me. They seem to be removing some sort of upper apparel (jacket, sweater, etc.) as they run. It's not a pullover thing, but instead opens at the front. The runner starts removing it by dropping it down off the shoulders, then to the elbows and forearms (sleeves would come off last). I don't think the garment is fully removed in the loop
yes it looks EXACTLY like a man running to me,, and removing clothes too.
he should have talked to this guy and got some pointers of him, i think this is the snow walker hoax of an himilayen yeti ? looks better then patty or mdf.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
All of these 9/11 conspiracy sites on the internet have museum-grade idiots stating what 'obviously' happens at velocities and temperatures that they are flat-out incapable of understanding. Not only are these people too stupid to understand the physics involved with what they are bloviating about -- they are too stupid to realize how stupid they really are.
cyclonic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 09:06 AM   #65
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
Fake. After all, it was being used to promote a movie about a "scientific investigation" of Santa Claus.

Also, I love how the first line in Sweaty's .gif clearly goes through the background object that "merges" with the head in the third frame.

That dark spot in the background doesn't have any significance to it at all, AMM.

The subject's head is clearly much different looking after the lift, than it was before the lift.

In this animated-gif, the object can be seen...clearly....bending forward...

In addition to that, the top of the subject cannot be the subject's head, because it extends too far above the subject's shoulders.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2008, 02:44 PM   #66
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

You need to show us how you determined where the shoulders are.
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:06 AM   #67
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
You need to show us how you determined where the shoulders are.

When your arm is extended straight out, horizontally...like the subject's arm is in the animated-gif...your shoulder is right in line with your arm.

Is that right......or am I mistaken?

Since we see the subject's arm raised to a horizontal position, we know exactly where it's shoulder is.........don't we?

Later today I'll post a couple of comparison stills of the subject, before and after the lift, to show the difference more clearly.

Old 22nd April 2008, 05:39 AM   #68
mikeyx
Banned

When your arm is extended straight out, horizontally...like the subject's arm is in the animated-gif...your shoulder is right in line with your arm.

Since we see the subject's arm raised to a horizontal position, we know exactly where it's shoulder is.........don't we?

Later today I'll post a couple of comparison stills of the subject, before and after the lift, to show the difference more clearly.

Are you guys happy now, now you've got him posting his pixelated blobs? Oh the pain.....
Old 22nd April 2008, 06:27 AM   #69
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

You are mistaken ..

It has been shown, that what you are claiming to be the arm, extended straight out, is actually the hood ( or whatever ) that the subject just removed from their head ..

Still waiting on some wisdom from you, so I can add it to my sig...
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:30 AM   #70
Drewbot
Philosopher

How many inches above his head is that baby sitting?

Old 22nd April 2008, 03:00 PM   #71
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
You are mistaken ..

It has been shown, that what you are claiming to be the arm, extended straight out, is actually the hood ( or whatever ) that the subject just removed from their head ..

Nice try, Greg...but you're wrong. I'll explain why, in detail, later.

For now....here is a still which shows, very nicely, that the thing we see swinging is, in fact, the subject's arm......without a mask, or a hood, or anything of substantial size being held onto....

Old 22nd April 2008, 06:20 PM   #72
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

I am not going to hold my breath. Promises....Promises...Tick...Tock...The world wonders.
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:36 PM   #73
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

For now....here is a still which shows, very nicely, that the thing we see swinging is, in fact, the subject's arm.....
What happened to the extended height ?

Your fact is still a line of dark pixels ..

Your explanations are pointless without evidence ...

I think it's a toilet brush ..

Prove that it's not ...

P.S.

Where is the long flowing hair that Tom Lines said he saw ?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 22nd April 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2008, 06:41 AM   #74
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

For now....here is a still which shows, very nicely, that the thing we see swinging is, in fact, the subject's arm......without a mask, or a hood, or anything of substantial size being held onto....

Last time I checked, I had TWO arms. Are you suggesting that this blob only has one?
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:16 AM   #75
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Diogenes wrote:
Quote:
Your fact is still a line of dark pixels ..

Your explanations are pointless without evidence ...

I think it's a toilet brush ..

Prove that it's not ...

Wow....another brilliant bit of counter-analysis from Greg.

Here is the response that it truly deserves....

If you have something intelligent to say, Greg, I'll be happy to reply to it in a more intellectual way.

If you honestly can't tell that the 'thing' that's seen swinging in the video, as the subject walks off into the woods, is it's arm...

....then you're hopelessly lost in dum-dum land, Greg....and there's nothing I can say to you to help you understand what's going on in the video.

Here's another animated-gif of the lift, with a few more frames added in...

Backing-up a bit....yesterday I had written...

Quote:

Greg's response was completely irrelevant to the question I had asked....(naturally ...it's what Greg does.).

Here is a clearer example of what I was refering to....

The subject's arm, in a horizontal position...tells us exactly where the top of the subject's shoulder is, height-wise (vertically).

Sionce we can see the MD subject's arm swing up to a horizontal position, we know right where the top of it's shoulder is, in that side-view of the subject/lifted object.

Old 23rd April 2008, 09:00 AM   #76
mikeyx
Banned

Thats the same line you've used on EVERY other BF forum prior to banning. Pixelated crap is not proof. You have no proof.

Quote:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...oMaskhere3.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...oMaskhere1.jpg
[/quote]

Show some proof or shut up already.
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:13 AM   #77
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Here are the first and last frames of your .gif Sweety ..

The line is drawn through a reference object in the background ..

Where is the height increase Sweety ?

I'm sure the MABRC can't get enough of this stuff..

Why don't you start a new thread over there, and call it your latest and greatest analysation ..
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:37 AM   #78
Astrophotographer
Graduate Poster

If you honestly can't tell that the 'thing' that's seen swinging in the video, as the subject walks off into the woods, is it's arm...
But where is the other arm? Amateur magicians would love you since you seem so focused on one arm and not even interested in the other one. Slight of hand would be no problem.
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:59 PM   #79
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Astrophotographer View Post
But where is the other arm? Amateur magicians would love you since you seem so focused on one arm and not even interested in the other one. Slight of hand would be no problem.

I've mentioned this before, but I think that it's probably holding onto the infant, keeping it steady on it's shoulders.
Kinda like what this guy is doing....

Here's the image shrunken, and then blown-up, with much lower resolution....

It seems very odd to me that only one of the subject's arm can be seen swinging, for the whole time that it's in view, after the lift.

And, again, if it's simply at the subject's side the whole time....then how did the "mask" lift up, after the other hand had let go of it???

Old 23rd April 2008, 01:41 PM   #80
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Why isn't the subject with the infant on it's shoulders, not any taller than it was before the lift ?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal