IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 26th May 2009, 06:04 AM   #201
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Nobody's forcing you to discuss it, if it has no value than don't waste your time. However, do not expect to be the one to decide if others should be talking about it and expect them to follow you blindly. There was a point in bringing it up, and if you can't see it you will later, or not.
It was a rhetorical question, designed to stimulate thought. Further, it was aimed at those who accept the footage as depicting a real bigfoot, ie Mr. Yeti. If you do not accept this, the question was not aimed at you. I apologize for the confusion any unclear wording may have caused.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 06:16 AM   #202
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Vort wrote: could-be-anything footage

That's exactly what this video is NOT....when one considers all of the various details surrounding the video itself..(the lifted object...the object lifting-up after the subject has let go of it, the lifted object appearing to be too massive to be a simple mask, only one of the subject's arm's being visible, and swinging...the lifted object moving, etc.)...and the eyewitness testimonies from Owen Pate, Tom Lines, among others....and Lori's father's sudden interest in Bigfoot...including joining Bigfoot discussion boards, and his email to me.

The folks who like to say "it could be anything" are the folks who don't seem to want to consider, and provide explanations for, all of these important details.

There are, in fact, very, very few explanations which can reasonably, and sensibly, account for all of these various details.

But....a Bigfoot w/infant accounts for all of them, very neatly.
But the eyewitness accounts captured on the video itself (as posted upthread by kitakaze) express a distinct lack of belief that the figure is a bigfoot, a general air of humor -- not fear, as you avowed earlier -- about the subject, and a statement of opinion that the object is a backpack.

Will you please explain how the object cannot be a backpack, pulled up onto the figure's back by a strap that is lost in the extremely unclear pixellation of the video?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 08:15 AM   #203
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
But the eyewitness accounts captured on the video itself (as posted upthread by kitakaze) express a distinct lack of belief that the figure is a bigfoot, a general air of humor -- not fear, as you avowed earlier -- about the subject, and a statement of opinion that the object is a backpack.

I have the full version of the video, with the audio track....and what was being said as Lori was taping is not the least bit suspicious....in fact, there are some things that were said that lend credence to their story.

1) One of the kids says "I'm freaked".

2) At the end of the video Lori says, in a serious tone..."I've got it all on video".

3) Also...as for the 'general air of humor', that was perfectly understandable. They were on vacation, perhaps drinking a little, awaiting the possible appearance of a creature which is somewhere between an ape, and a man......(Hence..."I'm freaked!").....and simply, feeling upbeat about the potential sighting, and getting it on videotape.

In a similar vein....I was talking with my son this weekend, as we were driving to the Prov. Bruins game.....telling him how I was seriously considering driving up to Lake George on Memorial Day ....for 2 reasons.....one, to hike Black Mountain (which overlooks Lake George, a beautiful view, all around), which would have had an exceptionally good view on Monday, since a cold front came through Sunday night.......and....the other reason was to spend a little time driving/walking around West Mountain, hoping to cross paths with a Bigfoot.

And guess what.....as we were talking about the possiblity of getting Bigfoot on tape...(and having a 2nd "Memorial Day Video") we were laughing, and joking about it...not in a spirit of 'ridicule', but in a spirit of 'fun'....

And that's exactly what the Pate's were doing.....enjoying themselves. Having FUN with it.

Quote:
Will you please explain how the object cannot be a backpack, pulled up onto the figure's back by a strap that is lost in the extremely unclear pixellation of the video?

Sure....later.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 09:20 AM   #204
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote:
Add this statement by Owen Pate to the mix...

"It came up from behind that bush....and looked me straight in the eye".

Combined with Lori's father's serious interest in Bigfoot, and his daughter's sighting/video event.....you have a Bigfoot sighting, at close range, that's hard to dismiss.
It's very easy to dismiss when you understand that Pate might not be telling the truth about his close-range sighting.

But the kid doesn't sound freaked out at all.
Old 26th May 2009, 09:23 AM   #205
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti

wp:
But the kid doesn't sound freaked out at all.

In fact, the same kid says " That's not a Bigfoot . "

What weight does that carry Sweety ?
Old 26th May 2009, 09:26 AM   #206
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Quote:
2) At the end of the video Lori says, in a serious tone..."I've got it all on video".

And Tom Lines says " I've got pictures. "

Where are those pictures Sweety ? Why didn't Lines mention them in the LMS interview ?

Was Lori serious when she says " It's a Dickfoot .. " ?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 26th May 2009 at 09:27 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 09:36 AM   #207
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
In fact, the same kid says " That's not a Bigfoot . "

What weight does that carry Sweety ?

Well, Greggy-Poo.....considering what Tom Lines said, in LMS...."It was just far enough away, that I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing....so I went got my binoculars"....at approx. 900 feet away....if a kid says "That's not a Bigfoot", that assessment doesn't carry a whole lot of weight.

It was very difficult for anybody to be sure of the true identity (man or Bigfoot) of the subject they were seeing, from that distance.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 26th May 2009 at 09:39 AM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 09:40 AM   #208
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Where are those pictures Sweety ?

They're in his glove compartment....underneath the napkins.

Old 26th May 2009, 09:40 AM   #209
Drewbot
Philosopher

Thanks to Darkwing at MABRC, I am posting these YOUTUBEs of Rick Nolls Texas presentation. Anyone informed on BF going's on, would recall that Rick Noll told several naysayers the equivalent of 'see you in Texas' when they asked he had any video which was better than what we saw on LMS.

We were then told that the tape machine ate the presentation.

Here is that presentation(Pts 1 and 2 ), as posted by Rick Noll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzLk...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXFS...layer_embedded
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 09:43 AM   #210
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Where are those pictures Sweety ? Why didn't Lines mention them in the LMS interview ?

Seriously....I have no idea.

I'll look into it, though. I plan on sending Lori's father another email, so I'll ask him about those pictures.

Quote:
Was Lori serious when she says " It's a Dickfoot .. " ?

I doubt it.

Old 26th May 2009, 10:05 AM   #211
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Well, Greggy-Poo.....considering what Tom Lines said, in LMS...."It was just far enough away, that I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing....so I went got my binoculars"....at approx. 900 feet away....if a kid says "That's not a Bigfoot", that assessment doesn't carry a whole lot of weight.

But " I'm Freaked ! " does ?

Why doesn't lines mention ' binoculars ' or ' long flowing hair ' on the video soundtrack ? He never mentions what he is seeing through the binoculars..

There is never more than a few seconds where his voice is not heard , but never any comments that resemble his testimony on LMS ..

Was he taking pictures through the binoculars ..
Old 26th May 2009, 11:14 AM   #212
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's very easy to dismiss when you understand that Pate might not be telling the truth about his close-range sighting.

That's not so easy to conclude....when you consider Lori's father's new, and continued interest in Bigfoot, and his endorsement of his own daughter's encounter/story.

He joined a discussion board, or two, and, years after the event.....wrote me that lengthy email.

What would his motivation be for all of this......money????

No.

Fame?

No.

Was he lied to/hoaxed by his own daughter?

No.

It's a whole lot easier to type "Owen and Lori lied" than it is to account for Lori's father's behavior..(outside of his daughter being honest with him)..in supporting Bigfoot, and their sighting/video...and sending me that email.

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 26th May 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:29 AM   #213
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

But " I'm Freaked ! " does ?

Yes, it does....because that statement/feeling wasn't based solely on what they were seeing..... it was also based on the fact that an adult, Owen...(his father?)...told Lori that he had just seen a Bigfoot up on the hillside, and to get the camcorder ready, in case it re-appeared.

And then it did reappear.

So, based on what Owen had said he saw.....the kid felt "freaked out". And for good reason.

Old 26th May 2009, 11:41 AM   #214
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Owen and Lori may both enjoy the Bigfoot myth and are motivated to contribute (fictional) stories because they gain some kind of satisfaction or happiness from it. There may be no social contract between them to only speak the truth when it comes to Bigfoot.

I see that you are making some new friends over on Cryptomundo in the MDV thread.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:00 PM   #215
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

I'd still like to know why the object can't be a backpack, lifted by a strap that is lost in the pixellation, as one of the eyewitnesses to the event opined that it was while the video was being shot.

Old 26th May 2009, 12:03 PM   #216
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A Bigfoot snatched a backpack and is running across the hill with it. Once he gets into the woods - he'll open it up and look for goodies.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:34 PM   #217
xblade
Critical Thinker

I'd still like to know why the object can't be a backpack, lifted by a strap that is lost in the pixellation, as one of the eyewitnesses to the event opined that it was while the video was being shot.
Or why the "lift" can't simply be explained by the subject stepping on a raised object like a rock, pile of dirt, anthill, etc.

At any rate, yet again, the "evidence" for bigfoot is an ambiguous, unclear video. What are the odds, lol? It seems the pictures/videos get worse as technology gets better.
xblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 01:50 PM   #218
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Owen and Lori may both enjoy the Bigfoot myth and are motivated to contribute (fictional) stories because they gain some kind of satisfaction or happiness from it. There may be no social contract between them to only speak the truth when it comes to Bigfoot.

I see....you're promoting the F-O-F theory, or explanation......that's the..."Family O' Fruitcakes" theory.

I guess it's better than dealing with the alternative......Bigfoot.

Quote:
I see that you are making some new friends over on Cryptomundo in the MDV thread.

Yeah....except the 'friends' weren't overly friendly. They all seemed to want the MD Video's head on a platter.

After I put together that post, here, in the morning...with the still frames and animated-gifs...and the deluxe explanation of what I'm seeing....I saw the article on Loren's site.
So, I figured I'd provide a link to my post about the Video, since the post had a lot more for people to look at, and think about, than that miniature little Youtube video on Crypto's site.

Old 26th May 2009, 01:52 PM   #219
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

I'll have time to respond to that, later tonight. Guarenteed.

Old 26th May 2009, 02:03 PM   #220
dafydd
Banned

Yes,it doesn't matter what was said,it's what's on the video that counts.I don't see any reason why it can't be a bagpack.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 04:25 PM   #221
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

Yes, it does....because that statement/feeling wasn't based solely on what they were seeing..... it was also based on the fact that an adult, Owen...(his father?)...told Lori that he had just seen a Bigfoot up on the hillside, and to get the camcorder ready, in case it re-appeared.

So, based on what Owen had said he saw.....the kid felt "freaked out". And for good reason.
According to Lori Pate's father there was a family up on the hill, and the creature Owen said he saw was NOT the creature videoed. I've already posted twice in this thread asking you to address that.
Here and Here

He also said the same thing in the email from him to you that you posted here.

Quote:
...snip
Now, Owen when he had seen the animal he thought that the animal was close to 6 1/2 to 7 feet tall. This did not match the height of the animal on the hill. This confused the Bigfoot researchers because they all thoug ht that it was the same animal. Now all of a sudden, 11 years later we began to realize that Owen was correct in his assessment. What in reality we were looking at was a young Sasquatch family, a male, a young mother, and a child.
snip...
Remember Sweaty, you are using Lori's father as a trustworthy and reliable source to bolster your case.

So a simple question;

Do you believe that there was a family of bigfoot on the hill that day or do you believe that it was the same one Owen said he saw?
Your quote at the top of this posts indicates that you believe it's the same animal. This not the first or only time you've expressed that belief.

I expect you'll answer this time because I don't think I'll let you forget, and if you put me on ignore I'll just ask others not to let you forget.
Blackdog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 05:32 PM   #222
makaya325
Banned

Astro wrote:

The "mask theory" is dead, Astro.
The stills, and logic, finished it off a long time ago....I'm happy to report.

Problems with the mask theory are as follows...

1) A mask would be too small to account for the apparant size of the lifted object.

2) The object first lifts up, then down, and then quickly up again. Why??

3) The object lifts up without the use of any hands. How??

4) The object can be seen, in a few stills, to be slightly behind the subject's head. (Exactly where an infant would be seen, if it were sitting on the subject's shoulders...btw.)

5) The subject's head/face never changes color, even after the supposed mask is taken off.

Lastly...an upcoming problem for the mask theory...a re-creation video will show that a simple mask, at that distance and low-res, would, in fact, be barely visible. It will not match the overall mass of the object seen in the video.

Is that enough for you, Astro?

Sweaty, the height increase, if not a mask, can be a simple camera artifact
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 07:37 PM   #223
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

blackdog wrote:
Quote:
Remember Sweaty, you are using Lori's father as a trustworthy and reliable source to bolster your case.

So a simple question;

Do you believe that there was a family of bigfoot on the hill that day or do you believe that it was the same one Owen said he saw?
Your quote at the top of this posts indicates that you believe it's the same animal. This not the first or only time you've expressed that belief.

I expect you'll answer this time because I don't think I'll let you forget, and if you put me on ignore I'll just ask others not to let you forget.

I haven't really looked into that part of the story, yet...but I think that Owen's height estimate was probably accurate, so I'd go with the "family plan", on the hillside that day.

As for this statement of yours...

Quote:
you are using Lori's father as a trustworthy and reliable source to bolster your case.

I'm simply using Lori's father's words to bolster the case for Lori's...and Owen's honesty.

The E-quation here is very simple....

Lori's father believes his daughter, and her husband, saw a real Bigfoot.

Lori....IN ALL PROBABILITY....did not decieve her own father.

Therefore....Lori believes she saw a real Bigfoot.

And, by marital, blissful... ...extension....Owen believes he saw a real Bigfoot.

Get it?

Old 26th May 2009, 07:50 PM   #224
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

As for what I wrote earlier today...

Quote:
told Lori that he had just seen a Bigfoot up on the hillside, and to get the camcorder ready, in case it re-appeared.

So, based on what Owen had said he saw.....the kid felt "freaked out".

I was posting while I was at work...and didn't have time to get into the "which Bigfoot was it" issue.

I was simply making a point regarding why the kid's reaction..."I'm freaked" carries weight.

It was due to the fact that the kid heard Owen telling Lori that he'd seen a Bigfoot on the hillside, and she should get the camcorder ready, in case it re-appeared.
A creature came into view, which at the time, they probably assumed was the same Bigfoot....and, therefore, the kid felt a bit "freaked out".

The kid's reaction is very understandable, when you consider the whole picture. They were camping in a remote mountainous area, far away from their home...and an adult is saying he just saw a creature, which is some kind of ape/man, running around on the mountainside.

For a young kid......that should feel a little "freaky".

Old 26th May 2009, 07:55 PM   #225
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Vortigern wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigern99

Hang in there, Vort....the night is still young. I'll get to it!

Old 26th May 2009, 08:11 PM   #226
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

Yeah I get it.
Quote:
I haven't really looked into that part of the story, yet..
You quoted Lori Pate's father's email without even reading it or reading any of his posts on SFB or BFF? LMAO

So your answer is you believe there was a family of bigfoot up there that day and you believe Owen saw papa bigfoot which was the same bigfoot that they say was filmed.
Remember your quote?

I never said Lori deceived her father and I never said Owen did. You said that the same bigfoot that Owen saw was the same one on the film.

That makes the Pate family or the LMS crew wrong. Which is it?
If the LMS crew is wrong your argument goes poof!!!

Get it?

Not to mention you can't even answer a question without masking it behind a theatrical performance. I can't respect that...sorry. Who do you think you are Libarace? Grow up and answer like a man.

Last edited by Blackdog; 26th May 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Blackdog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 08:17 PM   #227
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

As for what I wrote earlier today...

I was posting while I was at work...and didn't have time to get into the "which Bigfoot was it" issue.
I'll be happy to find other quotes where you said the same thing if you like.

Get it?
Old 26th May 2009, 08:28 PM   #228
RayG
Master Poster

"...didn't have time..."

Sweaty's favorite phrase.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2009, 08:31 PM   #229
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I'll be happy to find other quotes where you said the same thing if you like.

Get it?

No, I don't really understand what you're point is, blackdog.

But, please do quote me all you want. I'll respond to whatever you post.

Old 26th May 2009, 08:33 PM   #230
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
"...didn't have time..."

Sweaty's favorite phrase.

RayG

I use it a lot, because it's appropriate quite frequently.

At the moment, I'm writing a response to an email from Lu. That's why I had to put-off responding to Vort's post, from earlier today.

Have a great night, Ray!

Old 26th May 2009, 08:37 PM   #231
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

No, I don't really understand what you're point is, blackdog.

But, please do quote me all you want. I'll respond to whatever you post.
First respond to this.

Quote:
You said that the same bigfoot that Owen saw was the same one on the film.

Old 26th May 2009, 08:38 PM   #232
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

blackdog wrote:
Quote:
Grow up and answer like a man.

Grow up??? Why?

It's much more fun acting/thinking/feeling/looking like a young guy!

Old 26th May 2009, 08:39 PM   #233
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

Hey I think I'm 19 but I don't need to post in colors to hide my insecurities.
Old 26th May 2009, 08:41 PM   #234
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

blackdog wrote:
Quote:
First respond to this.

I don't know if that was the case. Sorry.

All I can do is take an educated guess at the 'probability' of that being the case.

Old 26th May 2009, 08:48 PM   #235
Blackdog
Critical Thinker

I didn't ask about what was the case... I asked who you thought was wong?
Quote:

There is only one answer.
Old 26th May 2009, 09:06 PM   #236
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Vortigern wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortigern99

Well.....here are 2 frames from the first part of the video....the run...where whatever it is that's on the subject's back changes shape pretty drastically...

I find it hard to picture a backpack behaving in that manner.

Also...this movement of the lifted object doesn't look anything like a backpack, to me...

Old 26th May 2009, 10:22 PM   #237
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

blackdog wrote:

Quote:
Who do you think you are Libarace?

No...I think of myself as more of an artist......like....Pee-caso...

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 26th May 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:36 PM   #238
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Sweaty, there is something deeply wrong with you. You think those people saw a Bigfoot when the people themselves at the very time of recording what they were seeing did not think they were looking at a Bigfoot.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2009, 12:06 AM   #239
makaya325
Banned

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Sweaty, there is something deeply wrong with you. You think those people saw a Bigfoot when the people themselves at the very time of recording what they were seeing did not think they were looking at a Bigfoot.
That is correct. As I remember, The lms documentary had them saying to each other "It looks like a white boy to me".
makaya325 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2009, 01:27 AM   #240
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Little mak, check post #166 on the page before this. It's much more than that

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal