ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th August 2017, 04:22 PM   #281
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here's an interview with a liberal author who has some suggestions for the Democrats:

The interviewer (at Slate) is pretty hostile to the author's take. I particularly loved this exchange:

(interviewer's comment in bold in original)

Heh, "only" about half of all white America is racist? Can you imagine the outrage if somebody were to write that only about half of black America is lazy? And you know how it is; the interviewer probably feels he's being broad-minded.
And also implying that it's a feature exclusive to white Republican voters. I'll check for the survey, but my memory is that the gap is not big. Something like 45% of White Republicans, and 35% of White Democrats. (depending on the question - i think the one with the highest possibly racist result was "would not want son/daughter to marry nonwhite person")
Old 25th August 2017, 04:33 PM   #282
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
And also implying that it's a feature exclusive to white Republican voters. I'll check for the survey, but my memory is that the gap is not big. Something like 45% of White Republicans, and 35% of White Democrats. (depending on the question - i think the one with the highest possibly racist result was "would not want son/daughter to marry nonwhite person")
Bigger gap on this question: "Blacks lack the motivation to pull themselves out of poverty."
White Republicans = 60% | White Democrats = 40%

Source is NORC's [General Social Survey]
Old 25th August 2017, 04:42 PM   #283
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Bigger gap on this question: "Blacks lack the motivation to pull themselves out of poverty."

Point being, I guess, that if you average that out, it does come to about half. The debate could be about whether agreement with these statements ("Too much government money is spent on blacks." and "I would prefer not to live in a neighbourhood with blacks.") is actually racist.

Incidentally, to your example above, the White Republican agreement with "Blacks are lazy" is about 40%. So, no, not half, but, 40% certainly feels like something that's gone past 'stereotype' and moving well into the 'common feature' zone.
Old 25th August 2017, 04:44 PM   #284
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Institutional racism and white privilege are profoundly demoralizing. It's no surprise that many minority groups see no point in slaving away for scraps from a society that will always treat them like second class citizens, and will never let them enjoy the full measure of their efforts.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 05:09 PM   #285
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

That was about the ballpark with a seat-of-the-pants average across a handful of questions, IIRC. It was just under half of self-identified republican-leaning people, and just over a third of self-identified democrat-leaning people.
Old 25th August 2017, 05:14 PM   #286
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Institutional racism and white privilege are profoundly demoralizing. It's no surprise that many minority groups see no point in slaving away for scraps from a society that will always treat them like second class citizens, and will never let them enjoy the full measure of their efforts.
Privilege exists in any context, it's not limited to white people. On average, white people benefit from more privileges than black people do. Men have more privilege than men. Tall people have more privilege than short people. Fit people have more privilege than fat people.

That said, it's not something that anyone should EVER give up on! But it's also not something that can be fixed with legislation - or with shaming and demeaning the people who benefit from that privilege. The privileged groups haven't done anything wrong, they're not taking advantage of others or causing harm. But it is definitely worth continuing to discuss and consider and analyze. That's the only way you can shift social expectations, which are the driver at the heart of privilege. Those expectations are based on stereotypes, media portrayals, historical tradition, and many other things. They shift over time, and they can get better, but if you give up and quit engaging in that discussion... they won't

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics