IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #3721
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
No I'm not looking for praise, believe me, a small thank you or "oh maybe that could help my health issues",, or or or....no praise...but maybe some here buys a "bit" of what I post...and if so so that is a good thing.
This is a ASkeptics Forum. No one here believes you, as you have no evidence for your claims.

Quote:
And you should all be so proud of yourselves that you can verbally beat up on a grandma....
We also do not believe this.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #3722
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm fine believing Caroline is a grandma. Big ******** hairy deal. I'm a grandpa too. Big ******* hairy deal too.

A healthy, fit, hale person can't pull the "oh poor old me" card suddenly.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #3723
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Y’know of we these posts on the forge, we could get some pure Dunning-Krugerands.

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #3724
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I live in a Nudist camp, no clothing allowed....
"allowed"?
As an actual ex landed-camp member naturist, I can say this is one more topic you're ill-informed about.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #3725
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
"allowed"?
As an actual ex landed-camp member naturist, I can say this is one more topic you're ill-informed about.
Well then how about Clothing Optional????

Keep it Simple
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #3726
Caroline13
Muse

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I'm fine believing Caroline is a grandma. Big ******** hairy deal. I'm a grandpa too. Big ******* hairy deal too.

A healthy, fit, hale person can't pull the "oh poor old me" card suddenly.
Why not, nothing else works here....you people just enjoy being Cruel. And it that's what Skeptics are then so be it....Cruel Skeptics.

Keep it Simple
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #3727
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Why not, nothing else works here....you people just enjoy being Cruel. And it that's what Skeptics are then so be it....Cruel Skeptics.
Boo-hoo says the bull **** snake-oil peddling anti-vaxxer.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #3728
marting
Master Poster

Why not, nothing else works here.
What works here is critical thinking. Technical analysis, and trying to determine where the facts are. There's lots of areas where facts are in legitimate dispute like how protective if at all surgical or cloth masks are to the wearer as opposed to reducing virus spread from the infected. Also, what are the most frequent mechanisms of spread. Early on it was believed fomite spread was dominant, now it's believed direct transfer of droplets and aerosols are more important than touching surfaces then the face. And how weather affects it.

But when you post a link that claims ELFs emitted from TVs are programming people, well that's just patent nonsense. TVs don't even emit or receive ELFs which are used to do things like communicate with submerged submarines or, closer to home, keep my watch accurate within 1 second for the last 10 years.

If you post stuff that makes unusual claims, make some effort to understand the science and technology behind it first. Just because if feels right to you doesn't mean it's a real thing. Otherwise you are going to be treated like a 16 y/o that still believes in Santa Claus.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #3729
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Not so. At least in my case I believe you are seriously in error, to the point of acting irresponsibly and advocating irresponsible action. Cruelty does not come into it, and it is shallow and imperceptive to believe it does. You fling insults easily enough, but whine when your ratbag ideas and crackpot conspiracies are questioned or rejected. Stop whining. Big girls don't cry, remember?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #3730
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I live what I believe and that's enough for me....maybe not for you but that's on you.
That's fine as long as you first take the time to check that what you believe is true. That means acquiring basic critical thinking skills and applying them to the claims other people make to you. Instead you just uncritically accept any claim you like the sound of, and which fits your existing prejudices, and reject any claim that doesn't, without bothering to even look at the evidence in either case.

For example when you brought up grape seed extract I did what you should have done and looked for objective evidence of its effectiveness. I discovered that it's far from being the prevent all and cure all you claim it to be, but there are a handful of conditions for which there is limited evidence of benefit. One is high cholesterol. It so happens that's a problem I have, and I recently had to stop taking the statin I was prescribed for it because of side effects. When my surgery is less busy with the vaccine rollout I will make an appointment to discuss alternatives and will certainly bring up GSE as a possibility. So I might actually end up taking it, and I do thank you for bringing it to my attention. But the work of checking it out properly I did myself, nothing you have posted about it was of any help whatsoever. And the vast majority of what you post is, on examination, misinformation of the most egregious and dangerous kind.

Last edited by Pixel42; Yesterday at 10:46 PM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #3731
threadworm
Graduate Poster

If you're the age you claim, definitely not.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:31 AM   #3732
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So do you technology like sunscreen?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:34 AM   #3733
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don't know why I thought Ont. was in the US.
In your defense, there's the City of Ontario, California, population 185,000.

It can make "Ontario, CA" quite confusing at times.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:18 AM   #3734
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Nasty Hobbitses never believing poor Smeagol's anecdotes!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:11 AM   #3735
Belz...
Fiend God

Boo-hoo me no one takes me seriously!

Make a rational case for what you claim and you'll be taken seriously.

Make conspirationist claims with no basis in reality and put lives in danger by doing so, and you'll be called on it. If you don't want that, go to a different website.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #3736
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Gems, not germs.
Oops. I do apologise for misreading and reporting the post incorrectly caroline.

I do not apologise for "verbally beating up on a grandma" as if this was us coming round to your house and dunking on you. You came here.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:16 AM   #3737
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
"The news" is not the news! They call it "programming" for a reason. So this is the challenge. NO TV FOR 30 DAYS. And NO CHEATING. Nanny nanny boo boo! Betcha can't do it! But - if you do, I guarantee your thought life will improve dramatically, your interpersonal relationships will blossom, and you'll walk closer with God. And if you can't or won't do it, YOU'RE AN ADDICT and you deserve the intelligent, focused, diabolical programming that you're intaking.
Here's a challenge for you:
Stay off the crackpot conspiracy sites for 30 days. Instead, spend that time fact-checking your previous posts, and resolve never to post a claim without first checking it, and then supporting it with evidence that does not stem from the supremely unreliable sources you have used thus far.
Apart from the 'walking with God' bit, the rest of your post then applies to you.
Old Today, 04:42 AM   #3738
Carrot Flower King
Muse

And you should all be so proud of yourselves that you can verbally beat up on a grandma....
New irony meter, please.

The constant victim blamer plays victim...Well, you clearly know who you should be blaming, don't you?
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #3739
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

If you think your experience here is " cruelty" then you should grow a thicker skin, if you get all flustered over what internet randos on some forum say to you. This is very mild compared with some of the abuse I've taken online in the past and I certainly don't think I have been the victim of "cruelty".
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #3740
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Some of the words that come to mind about the folks here are:

Fools, Nonsense and Thinking All Superior to Many Others Humans.
Pot meet kettle. You are the one that refuses to engage in actual discussions about what you post. I have yet to see you honestly answer a question anyone has asked you. You wanna talk about someone who is arrogant and thinks they are superior? How about someone who constantly tries to tell us how sad our forum would be without them? I have a secret to tell you, you are not that special. Not even a little bit. You wanna talk about cruel? How about someone who has no sympathy for people who have any kind of health issue and constantly blame them for their conditions. Sounds pretty cruel to me. You want to talk common sense? When a person coughs or sneezes they cover their mouth and nose(unless they are pigs that is). They do that to keep their germs to themselves. Common sense will tell you that placing material of most any kind in front of said nose and mouth will keep at least some of their germs to themselves. It ain't rocket science.

ETA - I do not watch tv except for south park occasionally as background noise to fall asleep.

Last edited by kali1137; Today at 04:45 AM.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:52 AM   #3741
Carrot Flower King
Muse

The ((( are what I've used to quote what this member printed. Sorry you didn't "get it".....
Your difficulty here is that most of us DID "get it" and we were wondering if it was an accurate reflection of what you thought.
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #3742
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Oops. Maybe it's just Cat Scratch Fever?

Quote:
Ted Nugent—the right-wing singer who’s spent the past year boring on about his ridiculous coronavirus and anti-vaccine conspiracy theories—has announced that he’s fallen badly sick with COVID-19.
Pardon the linkage hiccup. This is from Daily Beast.
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #3743
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
New irony meter, please.

The constant victim blamer plays victim...Well, you clearly know who you should be blaming, don't you?
About five years ago, when I was volunteering for our neighborhood's homeowner's association board, we took a lot of abuse from a guy in the neighborhood. When one board member politely told him he was wrong about something, taking pains to assure that he wasn't accusing him of lying, just being factually wrong, this guy responded that accusing him of being wrong was exactly the same as calling him, "unintelligent and retarded". At one point he ran for the board (losing spectacularly), and I asked if he'd be as rudely dismissive of other members who disagreed with him should he find himself elected. He declared that I was diagnosing him with attention deficit disorder, and that I was advocating "eugenics, euthanasia and other dystopian practices", then he went on to try to shame me with my son's autism. One time we had the utility marking service out to mark any underground lines in preparation for removing some dead pine trees and grinding the stumps. This happened to be within about ten yards of his property line, and he declared that we were using the utility service to "harass and intimate" him.

Some people will always be the victim, no matter what they do. If they can't "win", then they declare that the others cheated.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:38 AM   #3744
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:48 AM   #3745
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm amused here (well, sort of amused) by the reaction to the use of triple parentheses. I, being an ignorant cuss sometimes, and not a consumer of many sorts of social media, did not know what they mean in popular culture, but I looked it up. We learn something new and awful every day, eh? But then, I did not post them.

Now the person who posted them claims that they were her substitution for quotation marks, but also claims to be ignorant of their significance. So once again we have, it seems, the usual right wing excuse when someone is caught out: don't hold me responsible for what I said because I'm too ignorant to understand it.

Old Today, 06:52 AM   #3746
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Ted Nugent—the right-wing singer who’s spent the past year boring on about his ridiculous coronavirus and anti-vaccine conspiracy theories—has announced that he’s fallen badly sick with COVID-19.
Is he sure it’s not Covid-7 or Covid-13?
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:52 AM   #3747
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not feeling well after getting my second shot. This was just the sort of thing I needed to lift my spirits.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #3748
zorro99
Muse

Prominent COVID conspiracy theorist dies of virus

He reportedly hid his symptoms and hosted two illegal gatherings before his death.

Apr 19, 2021, 11:51 am* Tech Eilish O'Sullivan Eilish O'Sullivan

A prominent Norwegian conspiracy theorist, who touted conspiracies about the coronavirus online, has died of the virus, according to multiple reports.

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/consp...-gaarder-dies/
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #3749
catsmate
No longer the 1

All you who got the Pfizer, I'm hearing now that the company is pushing a 3rd jab on their guinea pigs, thank the Universe I don't have this situation. They got you now and not letting go of you all.

My daughter was in Costco this morning and she said long lines of SHEEP waiting for the slaughter.
Sigh. The idea of additional vaccinations being needed is not news. Nor are your idiotic ramblings on the matter.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #3750
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Again, reaching 8? years of age is not by any means remarkable in this period of modern medicine. Maybe if you and others who follow your practices start living regularly past 100, you'll have something. But right now, that's not so impressive.
Anecdote: a couple of weeks ago one of my SOs was ordering a bouquet for a great-aunt of hers who was turning 100. The florist mentioned it was the fourth that week that she's dispatched.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:30 AM   #3751
carlitos
"más divertido"

Wait - Costco sells sheep?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories