ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 17th September 2017, 11:04 PM   #841
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,693
Michel H. You are simply making circular excuses now to avoid remedying your illness.

1) You claimed we can all read your thoughts.
2) You claimed we were all dishonest in our replies.
3) However you enter your bank account no and pin number all the time into a computer and no one has taken your money.

Are you saying everyone in the world is 100% honest but simultaneously 100% lying? That's just your schizophrenia isn't it?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:02 PM   #842
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I did. You made bizarre claims.

The user named "Diamond" whatever must be more credible by dint of their user name. That is a useless claim. I could have registered on this site as "The One True god". Would that make me more credible to you?

How about the fact that the name I did register was "abaddon" as appears in Rev 9:11? Does that make me more or less credible?

Why is your username an anagram for "Ciel, hhm?" Do you stare at the ceiling? Should I make that conclusion? Why? or Why not?
Quote:
I did. You made bizarre claims.
Perhaps less bizarre than some other claims commonly considered on this paranormal forum. Telepathy can be thought of as some kind of mental radio, (maybe) no need to change the current laws of physics.
Quote:
The user named "Diamond" whatever must be more credible by dint of their user name. That is a useless claim. I could have registered on this site as "The One True god". Would that make me more credible to you?
Yes, I think that the user name does give valuable information on the state of mind of the member, but such methods should obviously be used with caution.
The name "The One True god" sounds a little suspicious to me (too extreme). Are you sure you don't prefer "The One True God"?
Quote:
How about the fact that the name I did register was "abaddon" as appears in Rev 9:11? Does that make me more or less credible?
Quite possibly, yes. Abaddon seems to roughly mean "the Destroyer" in the Bible
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abaddon ).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:27 PM   #843
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,340
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I certainly welcome quality attention for my claims, not necessarily for me, as a person.
Have you been in touch, then, with ISF member King of the Americas, who also believes telepathy is real and should therefore be interested in collaborating with you to prove it?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:41 PM   #844
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,156
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Have you been in touch, then, with ISF member King of the Americas, who also believes telepathy is real and should therefore be interested in collaborating with you to prove it?

Dave
Michel H, this is an excellent suggestion! I'm surprised you and King of the Americas didn't think of it yourselves!

You claim to be capable of transmitting your thoughts and King of the Americas believes it possible to receive thoughts. I can't think of any two people better suited to working together to prove that telepathy exists, can you? Only a dishonest person who doesn't believe telepathy is real would balk at leveraging that alliance.

When will you and KotA be jumping at the chance to work together?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:52 PM   #845
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Have you been in touch, then, with ISF member King of the Americas, who also believes telepathy is real and should therefore be interested in collaborating with you to prove it?

Dave
No, I have not (though I think King of the A. deserves some credit for openly saying he believes in telepathy).

I have already given my opinion about King in a discussion with RoboTimbo. Perhaps I can repost these messages here for you:
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
King of the Americas has never indicated to me he was ready to participate in a telepathy test with me. Actually, he's a member here since 2001, and I don't think he ever participated in one of the 20 telepathy tests I did on this forum (or on its predecessor, the forum of the Randi Educational Foundation). Note that I do not say this to blame him, this is just a simple observation.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
King seems to be particularly interested in the so-called "Psychic staring effect", wikipedia has an article about this alleged, controversial effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_staring_effect

My motivation, when I do ESP (ESP = extra-sensory perception) tests, is to try to demonstrate that I can project my thoughts to other people worldwide, because of a truly exceptional and apparently unique psychic phenomenon. The motivations and interests are not quite the same. In addition, I usually do my online telepathy tests with a group, a community of people, not with one single person. I have no reason to think that tests with King would be particularly successful. His choice of name and posting style can sometimes raise some eyebrows.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
King of the A. is simply not a particularly interesting (potential and hypothetical) partner to me in ESP tests. I can find thousands of other partners in the world, this is the latest example: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=800
Needless to say, if I were to do another ESP test on this forum, King of the A. would be more than welcome to participate, like all other members of this forum.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:53 PM   #846
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Michel H, this is an excellent suggestion! I'm surprised you and King of the Americas didn't think of it yourselves!

You claim to be capable of transmitting your thoughts and King of the Americas believes it possible to receive thoughts. I can't think of any two people better suited to working together to prove that telepathy exists, can you? Only a dishonest person who doesn't believe telepathy is real would balk at leveraging that alliance.

When will you and KotA be jumping at the chance to work together?
Please see my answer to Dave Rogers above.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 12:58 PM   #847
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,156
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Please see my answer to Dave Rogers above.
Still just dishonestly dodging a real test then? Nothing new there. You don't believe telepathy exists.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 01:09 PM   #848
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Still just dishonestly dodging a real test then? Nothing new there. You don't believe telepathy exists.
I see no dishonesty here. If a few of you are interested, I am ready to do a new ESP test on this forum, at an appropriate time. We might find on such an occasion that King of the A. does not show up.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 01:18 PM   #849
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,973
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Just ignore him^
Sage advice.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 01:56 PM   #850
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon
 
RoboTimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Prosperity, AZ
Posts: 28,156
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I see no dishonesty here. If a few of you are interested, I am ready to do a new ESP test on this forum, at an appropriate time. We might find on such an occasion that King of the A. does not show up.
Yes, you are showing dishonesty. King of the Americas believes that telepathy exists and you claim you can transmit your thoughts. That would be a perfect match to set up a test.

But you say you don't want to do a test with KotA because he believes in another kind of telepathy and yet you want to do tests with skeptics who don't believe it exists at all. I'm sure you'll agree that that's dishonest.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 02:18 PM   #851
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Yes, you are showing dishonesty. King of the Americas believes that telepathy exists and you claim you can transmit your thoughts. That would be a perfect match to set up a test.

But you say you don't want to do a test with KotA because he believes in another kind of telepathy and yet you want to do tests with skeptics who don't believe it exists at all. I'm sure you'll agree that that's dishonest.
I have actually had some good answers in my telepathy tests on this forum in the past, which did not seem skeptical, for example this one:
Originally Posted by calwaterbear View Post
... I do indeed have ESP, and know for a fact that he wrote 2!
which I have already reposted.
Even a moderator replied:
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I am seeing a 4 very clearly. It's almost as though I had written it myself.
These answers were both correct (and note how remarkable they were).
However, I don't want to try to force you to do things that you don't like, or you don't feel comfortable with. But, I nevertheless believe that all members of this forum have a duty to try to contribute to the truth, even if it is hard (we all sometimes have to do things that we don't like, this is true for me too).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2017, 02:29 PM   #852
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,365
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Sage advice.
Cosigned
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 12:57 PM   #853
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,101
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Yes, I think that the user name does give valuable information on the state of mind of the member, but such methods should obviously be used with caution.

How do you apply such caution?

Even if you were right, a member name only gives insight into the person's state of mind when she signed up for the forum. She may have developed a drinking problem since then or had a head injury in a car accident. How did you rule such things out?


Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I have actually had some good answers in my telepathy tests on this forum in the past, which did not seem skeptical, for example this one:

which I have already reposted.
Even a moderator replied:

I WAS LYING IN ORDER TO MAKE FUN OF YOU.

Besides, my forum name is Loss Leader. Loss is a negative thing. It means that the leader (in this case the beginning of a magnetic computer tape) is lost and cannot be recovered. That's bad. My name suggests a lack of credibility.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 02:29 PM   #854
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,267
Here's an impartial telepathy test protocol. Again. Michel rejects this because reasons. Note that it doesn't include an arbitrary after-the-fact application of credibility weightings.

*********************************
Below are 100 words. I will randomly select a word and tell Michel what that word is via PM. He will circle that word 4 times and stare at it. I will invite responses.

Here are the 100 words, in groups of 5x2:

_______________________________________

kneecap furious partner absolve canter
because december bridge banana dissolve

wander petunia echo zombie gigantic
archer binary charter elongated disruptive

foghorn gaggle history individual joinery
kindly latitude mandate nobody opera

platform quorum rattle statue tabernacle
uncle vibration watercress yearning zither

apricot baffle cabbage debated everywhere
flightless gateway hardly iconic jester

knowledge lovely missile noticed optimism
percolate quantity reversal substitute throbbing

unconscious vertigo whaling yesterday zygote
adversary barricade capable decking envelope

foccacia generator hoping imaginary jelly
kingdom lacerate morbidly nagging opposite

pardon quince ruminate sandstone toffee
universal vermilion workmanship yacht zoology

alphabet beneath challenger cardinal deliberate
fulminate gathering haberdashery paperless attachment
__________________________________________

Next step is to choose a word at random.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 04:06 PM   #855
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
How do you apply such caution?

Even if you were right, a member name only gives insight into the person's state of mind when she signed up for the forum. She may have developed a drinking problem since then or had a head injury in a car accident. How did you rule such things out?





I WAS LYING IN ORDER TO MAKE FUN OF YOU.

Besides, my forum name is Loss Leader. Loss is a negative thing. It means that the leader (in this case the beginning of a magnetic computer tape) is lost and cannot be recovered. That's bad. My name suggests a lack of credibility.
Quote:
Even if you were right, a member name only gives insight into the person's state of mind when she signed up for the forum.
Not necessarily, because the member can (I suppose) change his/her name later. I don't know how easy or difficult it is to have one's member name changed on this forum but, on Yahoo Answers or doctissimo, it is possible to close an account and to open a new one, with a different name. I recently saw a member on docti who said "I am the member previously known as ...".

Your own behavior in "my" telepathy threads shows a striking agreement with your forum name because you made a complete fool of yourself by explaining that you "lied" (as a moderator!). This is the "loss" aspect. But, on the other hand, you were a "leader" for a while because you gave such an (apparently) good and sincere answer in one of my tests. It is possible that you have a habit of somewhat borderline dangerous behaviors, but that you enjoy some protection from people who may appreciate you for various reasons. Actually, if I recollect correctly, you gave the correct answer in one of my tests not once, but twice, because you once had the very "clever" idea to start a test right after one of mine, using a target number based on my target, in order to get more hits.

How do I use caution? I study carefully answers and personalities, and the user name is only one aspect. For example, when I see a member whose name is "King of the Americas", it does not take me many hours of hard thinking to figure out that such a member may not have the important qualities of (occasional) humility to be a good percipient in an ESP test.

It is usually very essential in my ESP tests to analyse and to interpret replies. For example, if I do a test on a skeptical forum, I can expect or suspect that people will generally avoid the target ("psi missing"), but some posts might be good.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 04:14 PM   #856
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Here's an impartial telepathy test protocol. Again. Michel rejects this because reasons. Note that it doesn't include an arbitrary after-the-fact application of credibility weightings.

*********************************
Below are 100 words. I will randomly select a word and tell Michel what that word is via PM. He will circle that word 4 times and stare at it. I will invite responses.

Here are the 100 words, in groups of 5x2:

_______________________________________

kneecap furious partner absolve canter
because december bridge banana dissolve

wander petunia echo zombie gigantic
archer binary charter elongated disruptive

foghorn gaggle history individual joinery
kindly latitude mandate nobody opera

platform quorum rattle statue tabernacle
uncle vibration watercress yearning zither

apricot baffle cabbage debated everywhere
flightless gateway hardly iconic jester

knowledge lovely missile noticed optimism
percolate quantity reversal substitute throbbing

unconscious vertigo whaling yesterday zygote
adversary barricade capable decking envelope

foccacia generator hoping imaginary jelly
kingdom lacerate morbidly nagging opposite

pardon quince ruminate sandstone toffee
universal vermilion workmanship yacht zoology

alphabet beneath challenger cardinal deliberate
fulminate gathering haberdashery paperless attachment
__________________________________________

Next step is to choose a word at random.
You have already participated in one of my "current" telepathy tests:
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
It's becoming clear now.

I see a chariot. No, sorry - it's oregano....

Running around the oregano I see figures. They're small and have orange hair. Could be the number 6 coated in felt, but it's hard to be sure.

All this is happening on the surface of a king-sized bed, floating in a sea of banana custard.

You are therefore thinking of the number 1.
Your answer was not bad, I think (provided it was interpreted - this is very important).
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 05:37 PM   #857
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,267
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
You have already participated in one of my "current" telepathy tests:

Your answer was not bad, I think (provided it was interpreted - this is very important).
Interesting approach to avoiding the issue at hand... but thanks for highlighting my narrative brilliance. I think I deserve a retrospective nomination for a language reward, or at the very minimum a couple of slices of Vegemite toast.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....

Last edited by Kid Eager; 19th September 2017 at 05:39 PM.
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 06:12 PM   #858
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,101
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Your own behavior in "my" telepathy threads shows a striking agreement with your forum name because you made a complete fool of yourself by explaining that you "lied" (as a moderator!). This is the "loss" aspect. But, on the other hand, you were a "leader" for a while because you gave such an (apparently) good and sincere answer in one of my tests

How do you know it wasn't the other way around? That I was lying then but am being a leader by telling the truth now? After all, Loss comes before Leader so it makes sense that I would lie first and then tell the truth second. How do you adjust for that?


Quote:
Actually, if I recollect correctly, you gave the correct answer in one of my tests not once, but twice, because you once had the very "clever" idea to start a test right after one of mine, using a target number based on my target, in order to get more hits.

Um, I used a five digit number whereas you only used 1 through 4. I literally could not have used your number. It's impossible. People had to guess the exact digit and placement of a number from 10,000 to 99,999. And it generated by a random number generator.

I realize you're unable to see anything but evidence reinforcing your belief, but that's a darn weird place to look for agreement.

Also, I enjoy no protections as a mod. My behavior is judged on exactly the same scale as everyone else's.
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 10:37 PM   #859
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,443
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
...Besides, my forum name is Loss Leader. Loss is a negative thing. It means that the leader (in this case the beginning of a magnetic computer tape) is lost and cannot be recovered. That's bad. My name suggests a lack of credibility.
i don't believe you
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 03:58 AM   #860
Arisia
Graduate Poster
 
Arisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 26.2 from Boston
Posts: 1,033
His view will never change, folks, so hopefully you're all working so hard to keep onlookers from being pulled into the foolishness.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 04:28 AM   #861
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,632
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Interesting approach to avoiding the issue at hand...
The whole telepathy investigation thing is a coping strategy to avoid the real issue. So long as Michel is coping, I'm no longer inclined to try to talk him into confronting his condition.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 03:24 AM   #862
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,513
Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Well, all of your other nonsense aside, your truth-detecting ability should be easy to test. I'll start with Two Truths And A Lie . You just pick which of my statements is a lie:

1. I play the clarinet in a jazz band composed entirely of lawyers.
2. I spent time training with the Israeli army.
3. I accidentally paid a stripper twenty dollars and had to make change from her g-string.
Haha, Lawyers don't have time to play music...!
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 04:38 AM   #863
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Haha, Lawyers don't have time to play music...!
Oh, you think?
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 04:46 AM   #864
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,973
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
He's not very good at this whole telepathy thing, is he?
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 06:08 AM   #865
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,513
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
LMAO...

I'll bet they don't see the inside of a courtroom much. (*I'm only a paralegal at present, working on a Master's waiting to get into law school. I made a mistake, and screwed up my life by getting into a pissing contest with a prosecutor about practicing law without a license. Afterwhich, I abandon my vinting and went back to school.)
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 06:24 AM   #866
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
Well, I suppose being telepathic would definitely be a boon for a lawyer...
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 07:07 AM   #867
TheSapient
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
LMAO...

I'll bet they don't see the inside of a courtroom much. (*I'm only a paralegal at present, working on a Master's waiting to get into law school. I made a mistake, and screwed up my life by getting into a pissing contest with a prosecutor about practicing law without a license. Afterwhich, I abandon my vinting and went back to school.)
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. The prosecution would have you only consider the DNA evidence, the fingerprints, the blood residue, the witness testimony, and the multiple angles of video. What they haven't told you about is the evidence in other frequencies that we can't detect with science. Look it up on YouTube. I'm very busy. I rest my case closed."
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 07:07 AM   #868
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Well, I suppose being telepathic would definitely be a boon for a lawyer...
A telepathic lawyer has a buffoon for a client.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 07:27 AM   #869
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
A telepathic lawyer has a buffoon for a client.
Why?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 08:00 AM   #870
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Why?
A. If the client believes it and,
B. because it plays off boon.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 08:21 AM   #871
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
I'm lost, and I'm assuming you're making a clever joke that I'm just not grokking.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 08:49 AM   #872
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,101
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
LMAO...

I'll bet they don't see the inside of a courtroom much. (*I'm only a paralegal at present, working on a Master's waiting to get into law school. I made a mistake, and screwed up my life by getting into a pissing contest with a prosecutor about practicing law without a license. Afterwhich, I abandon my vinting and went back to school.)

Is there an area of human endeavor you won't pretend to be an expert in?
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 09:25 AM   #873
TheSapient
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm lost, and I'm assuming you're making a clever joke that I'm just not grokking.
He is just saying that anyone who chooses a lawyer based on that lawyer's claim of telepathic ability is a fool.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 09:41 AM   #874
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
Originally Posted by TheSapient View Post
He is just saying that anyone who chooses a lawyer based on that lawyer's claim of telepathic ability is a fool.
Well, of course. I, on the other hand, was talking about a lawyer who was actually psychic.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 10:34 AM   #875
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Well, of course. I, on the other hand, was talking about a lawyer who was actually psychic.
We crossed the streams!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 10:52 AM   #876
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,844
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
We crossed the streams!
I thought I felt total platonic reversal and all life as we know it ending at the speed of light!


Or maybe after reading these telepathy threads I was just hoping I did.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 11:55 AM   #877
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I thought I felt total platonic reversal and all life as we know it ending at the speed of light!


Or maybe after reading these telepathy threads I was just hoping I did.
Aye. Know what you mean.
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 01:19 PM   #878
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,844
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Aye. Know what you mean.
Oh, but 'plutonic', Android autocorrect strikes again!
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 02:59 AM   #879
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16,656
I always thought it was "photonic", myself.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 12:37 PM   #880
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,712
And I thought Plato had said something about reversal!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.