ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UFO contactees , ufos

Old 8th August 2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Maksutov
Scholar

UFO Contactees: Whatever Happened To...?

There are so many loose threads, apparent dead ends in reconstructing the early history of the "Contactees".

Whatever happened to Charles and Lillian Laughead after the Dorothy Martin debacle, including whatever happened in the Andes?

Whatever happened to Bryant and Helen Reeves after their "Flying Saucer Pilgrimage"?

What *really* happened to George Hunt Williamson when he took on other identities, saw von Daniken steal his ideas and died penniless in a spare room supported by a more wealthy friend?

How did Williamson and Miller really meet? How many of these people connected through Meade Layne's spiritualist/Fortean groups and publications?

What role did the movements of William Pelley, Guy Ballard, Psychiana and the theosophists play in the development of the cultic milieu that birthed and sustained the early activities?

And so on...so many questions! Am I in the right place or is there another, more appropriate or specialized UFO forum?
Maksutov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 01:57 AM   #2
steenkh
Philosopher

These questions are interesting, but apart from a Google search I do not know if htere is any way to find out.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 04:38 AM   #3
philkensebben
Master Poster

Perhaps they were all abducted by aliens.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
GT/CS
Illuminator

According to a fascinating weekly documentary program on TBS called People of Earth, they prefer the term, "experiencers".

Last edited by GT/CS; 9th August 2017 at 07:22 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 07:04 AM   #5
azzthom
Muse

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
According to a documentary program on TBS they prefer the term, "experiencers".
Hillbillies prefer the term 'Sons of the soil'. That isn't going to happen either.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 07:07 AM   #6
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by azzthom View Post
Hillbillies prefer the term 'Sons of the soil'. That isn't going to happen either.
Old 9th August 2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
Perhaps they were all abducted by aliens.
Or the mother ship arrived and collected them?
Old 9th August 2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Well, Travis Walton gives talks, and he appears on silly shows where his accounts get more and more vivid and detailed each time he tells them, often containing new pieces of information he's apparently never had the urge to mention before.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 03:07 PM   #9
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 10:52 PM   #10
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Homer Simpson's reaction to being kidnapped by aliens: "Don't eat me, I've got a wife and kids! Eat them!".
Old 10th August 2017, 10:47 AM   #11
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
There are so many loose threads, apparent dead ends in reconstructing the early history of the "Contactees".

Whatever happened to Charles and Lillian Laughead after the Dorothy Martin debacle, including whatever happened in the Andes?

Whatever happened to Bryant and Helen Reeves after their "Flying Saucer Pilgrimage"?

What *really* happened to George Hunt Williamson when he took on other identities, saw von Daniken steal his ideas and died penniless in a spare room supported by a more wealthy friend?

How did Williamson and Miller really meet? How many of these people connected through Meade Layne's spiritualist/Fortean groups and publications?

What role did the movements of William Pelley, Guy Ballard, Psychiana and the theosophists play in the development of the cultic milieu that birthed and sustained the early activities?

And so on...so many questions! Am I in the right place or is there another, more appropriate or specialized UFO forum?
I do believe that the 'contactee' or 'experiencer' movement fizzled out about 50 years ago.

From the 1960's to the 1990's the UFOs got rather nasty with anal probing and forced cross-breeding of humans and aliens.

However, since then, the UFOs have gotten very, very quiet. In fact, there was at least one UFO convention that I heard of which was cancelled because there were so very few people interested in attending.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 03:44 PM   #12
Maksutov
Scholar

It's possible to see a sort of evolution of the UFO believer subculture.

It began out of science fiction readers, Fortean enthusiasts, esoteric religious followers, spiritualists and theosophists, reacting to the fear of nuclear apocalypse and the growing reality of space flight. The first wave were those who claimed to ride the flying saucers, who met spacemen and traveled to other worlds. The stories varied slightly but had common themes. They were most successful among believers in spiritualism, readers of Ray Palmer's Fate magazine and mail order cultists. A small cluster of people connected to eachother through Meade Layne's Borderlands Science Research Association. Right before the UFO explosion, Layne had been highlighting the seances of a San Diego medium named Mark Probert. Probert claimed, like many spiritualists and theosophists before him, to be in contact with extraterrestrials. His sessions were promoted heavily and he had also claimed to be one of the first witnesses to a UFO, having contacted the "Kareeta" batwinged craft as it flew over California, before Kenneth Arnold's famous sighting of the "saucers".

But after the contactees (Adamski, Angelucci, Fry, van Tassel, Menger, Howard, Bethurum, ad infinitum) there came the next waves of explainers and alternate historians and conspiracy theorists. Just as the second wave of spiritualism helped set the stage for theosophy.

The conspiracy theorists and paranoia took over from the initial blissful space brother encounters. Government coverups, assassinations, men in black, abductions. All of these things have gone on to expand, creating revisionist histories, sacred sites, holy events, etc to satisfy the most ardent and well-funded true believers. All of these different stages still exist within the movement as something like sectarian divisions. It's really quite a fascinating phenomenon. I think it sheds a good deal of light on how major religions begin.

The study of Dorothy Martin's flying saucer cult produced one of the major scholarly productions on the study of cognitive dissonance. Another similar work was recently published on a more contemporary UFO religion. It continues to be a fruitful field for research in human behavior.

Last edited by Maksutov; 10th August 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Maksutov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2017, 06:05 PM   #13
lpetrich
Muse

Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
The Secret Life of Alien Contactee George Hunt Williamson [FULL VIDEO] - YouTube
A documentary on his life.

Quote:
There is a book that may contain some hints about that: "The Gods Have Landed: New Religions from Other Worlds", edited by James R. Lewis.

Guy Ballard of the I AM Activity of the early 20th cy.? He once claimed that he and some other people were invited into a cavern in the Royal Teton mountain. Once there, 12 Venusians teleported in in a blaze of light, played a concert, showed off some scientific and technological advances on a large mirror, and predicted happier times for us Earthlings.

Most of the earlier contactees did their contacts telepathically or went on astral journeys, like Emanuel Swedenborg around 1750. Travel by spacecraft was not common for them. Most others also did not go on long trips as he had, mainly contacting inhabitants of Mars, Venus, and the Moon. They got around language differences with telepathy.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 06:08 AM   #14
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I play around on Quora all the time, and whenever questions about aliens, abductions, or UFOs pop up, we have a small but very vocal cadre of individuals who will cite chapter and verse about the more spectacular “incidents”, and/or claim to be personally in contact with alien races (usually by telepathic or psychic means).

I usually refrain from calling these folks out, as quite likely they are suffering from some sort of delusions or hallucinations. I usually just point out the normal logical reasons for the lack of alien “visitors”, and the total lack of any actual evidence.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 07:13 PM   #15
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

I've started a thread about a blog that covers UFO stories that made it into the press, but didn't make it into either Project BlueBook or the UFOlogical literature, my comment to the reply to my OP mentions one case of a 1967 Danish contactee appropriating George Adamski's contact Orthon and convincing people to build a bunker (To survive WWIII which was going to break out on Christmas Day 1967) and then to invest in a free energy machine (To power a home-built flying saucer that would take believers to meet Orthon in person...)

The link below will take readers to that thread.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=322938

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 08:37 PM   #16
lpetrich
Muse

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
... and then to invest in a free energy machine (To power a home-built flying saucer that would take believers to meet Orthon in person...)
A free-energy machine? I'll believe it when I see it. Free energy suppression conspiracy theoryWP is about alleged conspiracies to suppress any of
  • Renewable-energy technologies
  • Cold fusion
  • Perpetual motion machines
  • Zero-point energy
  • Reverse-engineered or donated extraterrestrial technology
  • Other weird sources
That extraterrestrial one goes back to at least 1958, when George Adamski friend Desmond Leslie published his novel The Amazing Mr Lutterworth, a novel that he claimed was 75% nonfiction and based on George Adamski's mission.

In it, the titular character suffers an accident in an ocean liner as he crosses from Britain to the United States, one that makes him lose his memory. He finds that he has 78 mysterious crystals, and he spends the rest of the novel finding out what he is supposed to do with them. On the way, an oil-company executive offers a large sum of money for them, but he declines. He also goes to southern California, where he meets someone much like GA.
In the end, he gets his memory back and he appears before the United Nations General Assembly, distributing the crystals to all the delegates there. It is for a super energy source:
Quote:
“This power, I tell them, shall change the face of the Earth. No more shall small groups, nor even single men, be able to rule multitudes through hunger in their bellies; for there shall no more be hunger nor want nor cold; and in time again there shall be no more disease, for as man learns to live in harmony with nature, instead of continually struggling against it, he will destroy the cause of disease.”

Desmond Leslie also stated that conspiracy theory in the documentary UFO SECRET: Alien Contacts - FEATURE FILM - YouTube

One of GA's other associates, a certain Charlotte Blob, apparently also stated it near the end of Rainbow Bridge (film)WP.
lpetrich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal