ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags General Skepticism humor , logical fallacies , pedophilia conspiracies

Old 3rd October 2017, 04:22 PM   #361
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Sometimes when strawman shows up I wonder whether it was was placed intentionally vs unintentionally.

I wonder is the writer serious, or are they intentionally throwing off the discussion, (the latter being the definition of the term of course).

How can one know?
Is Strawman some kind of shoddy superhero?

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 04:32 PM   #362
Apathia
Illuminator

Often it's a case of no true strawman.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 05:59 PM   #363
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Often it's a case of no true strawman.

I thought that by definition, introducing a strawman is always less than honest.

Intentional introduction of a strawman seems a measure of character or integrity. No member here would ever do it intentionally of course. Thats why I got to thinking of unintentional strawmen.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:07 PM   #364
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

No member here would ever do it intentionally of course.
That statement is a strawman.
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:48 PM   #365
Apathia
Illuminator

Sometimes it comes with the strawmansplaining.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 3rd October 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:50 PM   #366
Apathia
Illuminator

No member here would ever do it intentionally of course.
Are you speaking passive-aggressively?

Author Unknown
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:51 PM   #367
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I thought that by definition, introducing a strawman is always less than honest.

Intentional introduction of a strawman seems a measure of character or integrity. No member here would ever do it intentionally of course. Thats why I got to thinking of unintentional strawmen.
Introductions to the strawman are just proper etiquette.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:29 PM   #368
wasapi
Illuminator

Sometimes it comes with the strawmansplaining.
Thanks, that almost made me spew my drink on the screen!
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:46 PM   #369
Bubba
Master Poster

Are you speaking passive-aggressively?

I thought it was called sarcasm. I prefer to go with benefit of doubt when the strawman detection alarm bell rings.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:48 PM   #370
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Is Strawman some kind of shoddy superhero?

Perhaps to some. What kind of superhero garb would Strawman wear?
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:50 PM   #371
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The appearance of a strawman often indicates that the argument is failing.

The farmer brings the straw scarecrow to the field when the crows are eating the hell out of his corn.
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:59 PM   #372
Bubba
Master Poster

Of the first few search results rationalwiki is the only one mentioning unintentional strawman. Maybe the others presume all stawmen are woven with ulterior motive.

Quote:
A straw man is a logical fallacy which occurs when a debater intentionally misrepresents their opponent's argument as a weaker version, and rebuts said version — rather than their opponent's genuine argument. Intentional strawmanning is usually done with a certain goal in mind, including:

Avoiding real debate against an opponent's real argument, because the misrepresenter risks losing in fair debate
Making the opponent's position appear ridiculous as a way of poisoning the well

Unintentional misrepresentations are also possible, but in this case, the misrepresenter would only be guilty of simple ignorance. While their argument would still be fallacious, they can be at least excused of malice.
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:00 PM   #373
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Dueling Strawmen

They use little flamethrowers
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:54 PM   #374
Apathia
Illuminator

I thought it was called sarcasm. I prefer to go with benefit of doubt when the strawman detection alarm bell rings.
I have a friend who goes headpiece filled with straw every time the Great Wall of Trump is criticized. Just question the logistics and waste of money, and he replies: "Don't you believe a country has the right to control its borders?"
He's not saying this to deceive. He's simply not aware of his fallacy in thinking. Also he has difficulty understanding how he's in error and what the Strawman fallacy means.

Many people kind of drift along with their mental processes without close examination. And you can try to explain to them the disconnect, but if they have an investment in what for them is a moral imperative, a strawman will be an angel.

Author Unknown
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:59 PM   #375
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
No it isn't.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:28 PM   #376
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Typically, the presence of a strawman hints that there are lots of vultures nearby.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:58 PM   #377
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Typically, the presence of a strawman hints that there are lots of vultures nearby.
No, flying monkeys.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 3rd October 2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 4th October 2017, 01:57 AM   #378
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Surely you have heard of Operation Mockingbird. We were told it was discontinued after it got outed. We were not told whether or not it was re-named and continues to this day.
I have heard of Operation Mockingbird. I was not aware that any other government apart from the US was involved. I therefore fail to see the relevance to the Edward Heath case.

Do you have any evidence that the operation continued, or is this yet more baseless paranoid speculation?

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post

Evidence, please, for this allegation of government-placed "gatekeepers" in the media whose job it is to protect child abusers from publicity. Or indeed, for any other purpose.
I doubt there is any evidence of "gatekeepers" in the media whose job it is to protect child abusers from publicity, like media not reporting JFK's extramarital exploits back then.

I am not btw saying there actually are gatekeepers in the media whose job it is to protect child abusers from publicity.

Of course your straw government-placed media pedo protectors never existed. Never will. Thats how good straw is made. Of course there were volunteer pedo protecting gatekeepers back in the day. Could still be.

Then please explain the relevance of this:

Then there is the information system's record of reliability, and connections to power to consider. Government has placed agents in gatekeeper positions in media for other reasons, a glimpse of the range of possibilities in one arena of corrupted power, and the black arts of deception.
If there are no gatekeepers, or they do not protect paedophiles from public reporting, then what was your point here?

You then go on to say there actually were, but volunteers. How did that work, then?
Regarding your continued references to ancient history: are you aware that the world has changed since the 1960's? Are you also aware that reporting of politicians sexual peccadilloes has been a feature of the British press for years? Do the words "Profumo affair" mean anything to you? It also happens in the US. Have you heard of Monica Lewinsky?

Off topic musing:

I wonder if there is data on what % of strawmen are created unintentionally vs intentionally. I have been in face to face conversations where I was sure some were made unintentionally, which is interesting. Intentionally placed strawmen are easy to understand and not so interesting. The spontaneous unconscious creation of unintentional strawmen is more interesting, IMO.
I don't know, Bubba. You say there were gatekeepers, and imply they protect child abusers. When called on it, you say there weren't. Then you say there were, but volunteers.
It seems to me, given the inconsistent and contradictory nature of your posts, that it would be quite easy to label any challenge as a strawman, so as to avoid having to back up anything you say. Is this your intention?
Old 4th October 2017, 07:43 AM   #379
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

The structure of the strawman fallacy - that which makes it a fallacy - is independent from the intentions or other mental states of the speaker. It is therefore unreasonable to guess intentions. Strawman is strawman.

In discussions with 9/11 Truthers I often wonder at many fallacies and failures of perception of reality: can thsi be intentional? They MUST sense they are plain wrong!? The only way forward is to point out the fallacy. Not to reprimand the other side for ill intent.

Sent from mobile phone through Tapatalk
Old 4th October 2017, 09:06 PM   #380
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
The structure of the strawman fallacy - that which makes it a fallacy - is independent from the intentions or other mental states of the speaker. It is therefore unreasonable to guess intentions. Strawman is strawman.

In discussions with 9/11 Truthers I often wonder at many fallacies and failures of perception of reality: can thsi be intentional? They MUST sense they are plain wrong!? The only way forward is to point out the fallacy. Not to reprimand the other side for ill intent.

Sent from mobile phone through Tapatalk

Yes, however for future consideration of character and what to expect, it can be useful to know if the speaker is intentionally making up strawmen. My experience is that pointing out the fallacy takes time away from discussion.
Old 5th October 2017, 12:37 AM   #381
Bubba
Master Poster

delete, move

Last edited by Bubba; 5th October 2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: wrong tread
Old 5th October 2017, 12:46 AM   #382
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting, and more recent. More research will be needed on this

Researchers at Boston University say "The startling global resurgence of pertussis, or whooping cough, in recent years can largely be attributed to the immunological failures of acellular vaccines, School of Public Health researchers argue in a new journal article."

Resurgence of Whooping Cough May Owe to Vaccine’s Inability to Prevent Infections

https://www.bu.edu/sph/2017/09/21/re...nt-infections/
No kidding, Sherlock. Some medical research may be called for. Duh!

In other news, scientists determine that water is wet!
Old 5th October 2017, 08:27 AM   #383
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Bubba threads, obviously.
Old 5th October 2017, 10:33 AM   #384
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Wow, that is some smoking gun. A z-list musician spews some self-aggrandizing yellow gossip to acquaintances, film at 11!

What does cocaine have to do with child rape, again?

Using cocaine is depraved. Child rape is depraved.

Obviously the two go hand in hand.

That's just logic.

Old 6th October 2017, 01:19 AM   #385
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
A container of glyphosate with holes for arms and legs?
aleCcowaN is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal