ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , native american myths

Reply
Old 28th March 2008, 05:02 PM   #281
RayG
Master Poster
 
RayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,660
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Ray, I should have asked you before. Do you think posting a link to this thread in the BFF Native evidence thread would be deleted?
No, I don't see why it should be.

RayG
__________________
Tell ya what. I'll hold my tongue as long as you stick to facts.
--------------------
Scrutatio Et Quaestio
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2008, 12:51 AM   #282
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Wanna See Bokwus?

Posted a photo of "Wild Man of the Woods" mask at BFF. Photo is credited to Museum of Anthropology, U. of BC.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 12:52 AM   #283
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
An Example of Non-Evidence

The mask below was given to me by a student from Japan while staying at my house. My son (offhandedly) described it as an 'oni', or ogre, mask. It has features that are intriguiging also. But it is definitely not a type of possible evidence of the existence of sasquatch. Some native american masks, while directly referenced as a creature resembling a sasquatch or wildman, may carry some significance in regards to information and descriptions of this creature.



Did anyone see the mask of Bokwus, Wildman of the Woods?
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 02:01 AM   #284
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
The mask below was given to me by a student from Japan while staying at my house. My son (offhandedly) described it as an 'oni', or ogre, mask. It has features that are intriguiging also. But it is definitely not a type of possible evidence of the existence of sasquatch. Some native american masks, while directly referenced as a creature resembling a sasquatch or wildman, may carry some significance in regards to information and descriptions of this creature.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1e96a27cc2.jpg

Did anyone see the mask of Bokwus, Wildman of the Woods?
Thanks for helping me illustrate an important point, MOTS. Your homestay gift there is significant. I proclaim it to be evidence of the mysterious Hibagon. That mask is evidence of hibagon just as much as any mask you've presented is evidence of bigfoot.

It's true.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2008, 06:48 PM   #285
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Thanks for helping me illustrate an important point, MOTS. Your homestay gift there is significant. I proclaim it to be evidence of the mysterious Hibagon. That mask is evidence of hibagon just as much as any mask you've presented is evidence of bigfoot.

It's true.
Did you actually put a link to the oni? Do you really expect someone to link it?

Anyway, I finally got you figured out. You teach English in a foreign country. You are just a two bit contrarian. I have a coworker along the same lines, never had a girlfriend, and argues the 'PBS' line consistently. Pitiful.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2008, 07:46 AM   #286
Correa Neto
Philosopher
 
Correa Neto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,578
Hey, K., just followed your linkie thing. Just in case, here's another linkie thing which may be handy if the hibagon/bigfoot/H. erectus association is proposed, depending on the evidence used to back it.
http://www.asiaquarterly.com/content/view/124/
http://www.t-net.ne.jp/~keally/Reports/sir2002.html

I stumbled with it while looking for refferences on controversial H. erectus in Japan (found a vague citation at Campbel's The Masks of God). No, so far I haven't found a positive confirmation, but Campbell's work predates these "problems".

Carry on, sorry for the interruption.
__________________
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:44 AM   #287
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Did you actually put a link to the oni? Do you really expect someone to link it?

Anyway, I finally got you figured out. You teach English in a foreign country. You are just a two bit contrarian. I have a coworker along the same lines, never had a girlfriend, and argues the 'PBS' line consistently. Pitiful.
If I was an English teacher, I think you'd be in need of my services to help you learn to communicate in a coherent fashion. I can sincerely say I often have little idea what the heck you're talking about.

In any event, I've decided that the oni has a correlation to the elusive hibagon as you decided Mr. Baxbax has a correlation to bigfoot.

Now I will share with everyone some splendid images of our mysterious friend, the hibagon (or hinagon as he is also referred) because I am a wonderful person and I do things like this:

http://www.occultopedia.com/images_/topic/yeti2.jpg

http://twitchfilm.net/archives/pics/hinagon.jpeg

http://www.pickup-jp.com/topicks/202/hinagon.jpg

http://www.tdmax.com/MT2/archives/hinagon.jpg

http://odekakeki.up.seesaa.net/image/hinagon03.jpg

http://www.fjmovie.com/main/pics/jpe...hinagon_02.jpg

http://www.hibagon.com/images/hibagon001.jpg

And here for you is a nice juicy Japanese bigfoot report:

http://www.hibagon.com/hibagonhinagon/

Ha ha! Surpise! It's in Japanese. Here's a translator site for you cheap a simps who can't read Japanese:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Just put the hinagon site address in the web page to be translated section and then select Japanese to English. After it's been translated click on the blue hibagon door.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:46 AM   #288
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by Correa Neto View Post
Hey, K., just followed your linkie thing. Just in case, here's another linkie thing which may be handy if the hibagon/bigfoot/H. erectus association is proposed, depending on the evidence used to back it.
http://www.asiaquarterly.com/content/view/124/
http://www.t-net.ne.jp/~keally/Reports/sir2002.html

I stumbled with it while looking for refferences on controversial H. erectus in Japan (found a vague citation at Campbel's The Masks of God). No, so far I haven't found a positive confirmation, but Campbell's work predates these "problems".

Carry on, sorry for the interruption.
Thanks, Correa. For some reason your first link comes up for a milisecond and then goes 404.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:00 AM   #289
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,711
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
If I was an English teacher, I think you'd be in need of my services to help you learn to communicate in a coherent fashion. I can sincerely say I often have little idea what the heck you're talking about.
He already told us that he is straight outta the hood with meaningfully abbreviated schooling. What do you want from him? He's got American Indian and Hawaiian roots. What are you asking of him? Bigfoot is in his heritage and his blood. This is word up.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:26 AM   #290
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This is word up.
Word up!

Take 'em down to Chinatown, Levar Burton. Oh nos! Your back-up is a gay stripper!
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:10 PM   #291
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,711
That was gold, KKZ. Cameo is the old skool class. Pay attention all you snot-nosed kiddies. Know the roots of your boogie beats. The Cadbury gorilla is the best thing I've seen in three days.

Everyone steals from eveyone else. This is word. Even the Stones and the Beatles were vulture scavengers from the Blues Giants and the gifted pedestrian artists. If Jagger and Richards took your riffs, then you became a giant because of it.

Now... what about Cameo? The 1986 bomb hit titled "Word Up" subtley uses a gutteral hook that is simply a deep drawn-out "Owwwww", or "Ohhhhh". That was stolen from The Gap Band who took it from who-knows-who. The Word Up music video stole from Michael Jackson's Thriller which used a performer (him) aggressively approaching the camera clad in leather (which was already beyond Members Only garb) and opening up the jacket or going even further to toss it off. Who did Jacko steal that from? Was it Elvis?

"Now, all you sucker DJs who think you're fly. There's got to be a reason, and we know the reason why. You try to put on those airs and act real cool. But you've got to realize that you're acting like fools." This is now known as fronting. This whole Cameo description of a posing player rival DJ/MC is now simply distilled into the term 'frontin'. Bow down and step aside. The power is coming through.

As far as I can tell, Japan never said that disco sucks. At least somebody still knows a dance beat when they hear it. It never went away. Do you sample this stuff when you are behind the decks? I don't know how you could bypass that and still get it on with the kids in Tokyo.

Is this a major hijack of a Bigfoot thread? Well, not if you understand that modern Bigfooters are only just reincarnations of the old skool Classic Bigfooters. Frontin worked for Patterson and it still works today. Bring us your Bigfoot. He is The Boss of the Woods. Titmus laid down the plaster and now you must jam.

It's tricky. T-T-T-Tricky!
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 3rd April 2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: more stuff
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:29 PM   #292
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
As far as I can tell, Japan never said that disco sucks. At least somebody still knows a dance beat when they hear it. It never went away. Do you sample this stuff when you are behind the decks? I don't know how you could bypass that and still get it on with the kids in Tokyo.

Is this a major hijack of a Bigfoot thread? Well, not if you understand that modern Bigfooters are only just reincarnations of the old skool Classic Bigfooters. Frontin worked for Patterson and it still works today. Bring us your Bigfoot. He is The Boss of the Woods. Titmus laid down the plaster and now you must jam.

It's tricky. T-T-T-Tricky!
That's no hijack and if it is then it's just the kind of highjack I like. WP is more down than Larry Blackmon's moustache. I would nominate you for that if it I thought many others would appreciate a couple of bigfoot skeptic weirdos geeking out.

Patterson was always frontin'. He couldn't stop himself frontin'. I have a strange image of Patterson and Gimlin doing their Cowboys n' Indians routine hanging out at the Paradise Garage.

Even after America went into funk denial, disco never died in Japan. I had a fat black cat I named disco but nevermind that. Japan is the place that saw the last that Larry Levan had to give. I am far from the only DJ who was inspired by and owes much to him. The kids most certainly dig the 'Word Up!' when I drop it. I won't sample it. I play it proper, maybe cut it with Kraftwerk's Der Telefon Anruf (The Telephone Call) if I'm feeling it. I also often like to drop Cameo's Back and Forth.

Thanks for that post, WP. That made my day.







__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:07 PM   #293
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Even after America went into funk denial, disco never died in Japan. I had a fat black cat I named disco but nevermind that. Japan is the place that saw the last that Larry Levan had to give. I am far from the only DJ who was inspired by and owes much to him. The kids most certainly dig the 'Word Up!' when I drop it. I won't sample it. I play it proper, maybe cut it with Kraftwerk's Der Telefon Anruf (The Telephone Call) if I'm feeling it. I also often like to drop Cameo's Back and Forth.

]
I stole a couple girlfriends when I was in Japan. They like to get their freak on. Roughed up a couple of Speed Racer lookin Karate Kids.

But you gotta stop livin the lie. Give some props to your Village People.

What's the word?

Last edited by manofthesea; 3rd April 2008 at 07:11 PM.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:29 PM   #294
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Okay, put down your Hello Kitty - Xray glasses for a sec and check this out.
I ordered my first bigfoot books.

1) Do Abominable Snowmen of America Really Exist --- Roger Patterson
2) Scweneyti, Stick Indians of the Colville --- Ed Fusch
3) Raincoast Sasquatch --- Robert Pyle
4) Where Bigfoot Walks --- Some Guy
5) The Wilderness Hunter --- Teddy Roosevelt (executive edition)
6) Nine Years With the Spokane Indians, The Diary --- Elkanah Walker

I bet not a single one of you have all these books. They're just my first endeavor into some buk lurn'ng.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 07:38 PM   #295
RayG
Master Poster
 
RayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Somewhere in Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,660
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
I bet not a single one of you have all these books.
#5 & 6 aren't even bigfoot books, and #2 is only a pamphlet, not a book.

RayG
__________________
Tell ya what. I'll hold my tongue as long as you stick to facts.
--------------------
Scrutatio Et Quaestio
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:22 PM   #296
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What do you want from him? He's got American Indian and Hawaiian roots.
.
Standard Skeptic's use of racially charged bigotry, hypocrisy, and ignorance.

I would ask how you associate Hawaiian with bigfoot? But you're just a decrepit old bigfoot hunter without a bigfoot to show for all your wasted effort.

But, since I'm the only indian here, why even discuss bigfoot? Maybe you should have a go at the holy grail or something. Or unicorns, werewolves...
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:53 PM   #297
Karl Rose
New Blood
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 0
Kitakaze, new guy here. This topic has taken some fairly radical turns from what it was when you opened it in January (I just found it today while googling), and it's the opening statements I would like to address. Your findings are very good, and I would like to use some of them at a site I run that is skeptical of cryptozoology.

I'm presently working on something else, and time isn't on my side, so I wouldn't be able to cover the Native American Myths for a while. But when I do, I would like to make sure you don't mind me using some of your research.
Karl Rose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:03 PM   #298
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Emulate Your Masters

Put on your 1964 authentic first edition Superman cape, encircle yourself with a power ring of all your finest Marvel Action Figures, and chant: Where is the body? Show me proof! (until exhausted)
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:22 PM   #299
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,711
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Standard Skeptic's use of racially charged bigotry, hypocrisy, and ignorance.

I would ask how you associate Hawaiian with bigfoot? But you're just a decrepit old bigfoot hunter without a bigfoot to show for all your wasted effort.

But, since I'm the only indian here, why even discuss bigfoot? Maybe you should have a go at the holy grail or something. Or unicorns, werewolves...
You are accusing me of racism? LOL. You are Troll. The last time I checked, Troll is not a human race. Remember where you are. This is JREF. This is Thunderdome. Put up your own dukes and drop this implied racism bullcrap. It looks ugly on you, and the next thing you know some goofball will look at this and accuse you of racism.

Stop your constant references to your own ancestral heritage. It doesn't matter. I have ancestry too. They believed in ridiculous things just like yours did. It's all a bunch of garbage when the conversation is about what is actually real. Can't you separate reality from myth in spite of what your ancestors had to say?

Are you willing to allow your great-grandparents to simply be wrong, or maybe just engaging in passing along falsehoods as part of tradition? Will you let them be human? I've determined that my ancestors are human in that sense. They told me things about the world that are not true. Will you also grant your own ancestors the opportunity to be human?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:43 PM   #300
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You are accusing me of racism? LOL. You are Troll. The last time I checked, Troll is not a human race. Remember where you are. This is JREF. This is Thunderdome. Put up your own dukes and drop this implied racism bullcrap. It looks ugly on you, and the next thing you know some goofball will look at this and accuse you of racism.

Stop your constant references to your own ancestral heritage. It doesn't matter. I have ancestry too. They believed in ridiculous things just like yours did. It's all a bunch of garbage when the conversation is about what is actually real. Can't you separate reality from myth in spite of what your ancestors had to say?

Are you willing to allow your great-grandparents to simply be wrong, or maybe just engaging in passing along falsehoods as part of tradition? Will you let them be human? I've determined that my ancestors are human in that sense. They told me things about the world that are not true. Will you also grant your own ancestors the opportunity to be human?
Your arrogance and your ignorance is unsurpassed. I've stated numerous times that my tribe, the Gwich'n has no sasquatch. That's according to my mother.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 12:05 AM   #301
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
I Got Your Thunderdome

Came across this photo of William Parcher in his early footin' days.



(A little hollow earth with that, sir?)
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 12:21 AM   #302
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post


Stop your constant references to your own ancestral heritage. It doesn't matter. I have ancestry too. They believed in ridiculous things just like yours did. It's all a bunch of garbage when the conversation is about what is actually real. Can't you separate reality from myth in spite of what your ancestors had to say?

You really meet the definition of beligerent ignoramus despite your knowledge of the PGF. I don't bring up my heritage unless in jest. Like my day at the beach collage. I've brought up William Brandon's study of the Kwakiutl, in particular his mentioning of Baxbaxwalanuksiwe. I've brought up James Fenimore Cooper's (a contemporary of the Melvilles, Humboldts, etc) writing of the great power of Manitou. I displayed various northwest native carvings described as "ape-like", Bokwus, etc..I defended Chief Seattle's speech when described as children's writing by Spektator. I mentioned that the word Gwich'n was unrecognizable to my mother, who said her tribe is called G'nich. (You can take her word because she was taken and re-educated by our Great White Father)

I even ordered that crackpot's book, Manlike Monsters.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 01:11 AM   #303
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Came across this photo of William Parcher in his early footin' days.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5d2f365ae0.jpg

(A little hollow earth with that, sir?)
As a rule I don't let anything get me upset. If I was the type of person to get upset easily, racism accusations of the cuff would probably do it pretty good. MOTS, I can't help but see irony in the fact that you are making Hitler jabs at WP yet you just drop this stinker like it's nothing:

Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Standard Skeptic's use of racially charged bigotry, hypocrisy, and ignorance.

I would ask how you associate Hawaiian with bigfoot? But you're just a decrepit old bigfoot hunter without a bigfoot to show for all your wasted effort.

But, since I'm the only indian here, why even discuss bigfoot? Maybe you should have a go at the holy grail or something. Or unicorns, werewolves...
First of all, you're obviously assuming that everyone here is of European decent. Secondly, haven't you been paying attention? The contention that I'm getting at here is that bigfoot is not a part of indigenous North American myth and life. Not as an animal or a mythical being of which there were countless among the multitude of cultures that made up those peoples.

Americans of European decent made bigfoot. It was North Americans of European decent who made the words 'Bigfoot' and 'Sasquatch'. It is my opinion that bigfoot is a unique North American cultural invention. It's like the culture that came from colonial beginnings decided to have a new boogeyman for the ogres, trolls, woodwoses, werewolves, and other various man-beasts of the cultures of their origins. He's bigfoot, the natives say he's the Boss of the Woods. Haven't you heard? You cut down his trees and he'll throw some fuel barrels like pebbles and break you in two. He's a peaceful giant, a screaming maniac. He sometimes talks, sometimes inside your mind. He's the Boss. When he is about not even birds and bees and crickets will make a sound. Everybody shut up! The Boss is here. What's that? Just a grizzly bear? Carry on. Old grizz don't have glowing red eyes and infra-sound, dude. Infra-sound. Yikes.

Just for the record, the two First Nations members in this thread who have participated have made it clear that bigfoot is no part of their culture.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 01:22 AM   #304
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by Karl Rose View Post
Kitakaze, new guy here. This topic has taken some fairly radical turns from what it was when you opened it in January (I just found it today while googling), and it's the opening statements I would like to address. Your findings are very good, and I would like to use some of them at a site I run that is skeptical of cryptozoology.

I'm presently working on something else, and time isn't on my side, so I wouldn't be able to cover the Native American Myths for a while. But when I do, I would like to make sure you don't mind me using some of your research.
Hi, Karl. Welcome to the JREF. Yeah, for some reason we were suddenly talking about underground dance music culture. I'm pleased that you've found this thread interesting. Please feel free to use whatever you like. I would only ask that it be sourced and when the time comes that you finish, please share with us a link. Member Big Les did something similar with his blog which you may find interesting. I'll go back and link it.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 01:28 AM   #305
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Put on your 1964 authentic first edition Superman cape, encircle yourself with a power ring of all your finest Marvel Action Figures, and chant: Where is the body? Show me proof! (until exhausted)
No, no. In this thread the chant is "Where is the myth? Show me the tradition!"

We haven't seen any yet. Show me one native tribe that recognize bigfoot as a part of there culture and a living animal. A singular boogeywoman who's rather stupid, steals kids, and brings fortune isn't going to cut.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 04:48 AM   #306
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,399
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
...But, since I'm the only indian here, why even discuss bigfoot? ...
As usual, you resort to assertion based on your opinion only.

And as usual, there are readily available facts to point out your error:
Quote:
From Post 254
Well I'm Iroquois, and after consulting with my various wind spirit guides and ghost wolves, I can safely say that not only is Bigfoot real, but he wears a headdress and eats babies raw. Wow, we Indians sure are a wacky bunch, aren't we?!
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 4th April 2008 at 04:49 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 06:30 AM   #307
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Karl, here is the link to Big Les' The BS Historian blog:

http://bshistorian.wordpress.com/

Scroll down a tad. Nice blog.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6

Last edited by kitakaze; 4th April 2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Fix link
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 07:01 AM   #308
Correa Neto
Philosopher
 
Correa Neto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,578
The linkie thing works fine for me, K., here it is again, just in case.
http://www.asiaquarterly.com/content/view/124/

BTW, I guess this is the first time I saw a Reductio ad Hitlerum or Godwinian argument at a bigfoot discussion...
__________________
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:12 AM   #309
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
As usual, you resort to assertion based on your opinion only.

And as usual, there are readily available facts to point out your error:
As usual, you are speaking out of your ass. That troll popped in for one post and stated he was indian. And you believe him, because it suits you.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:21 AM   #310
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post

Americans of European decent made bigfoot. It was North Americans of European decent who made the words 'Bigfoot' and 'Sasquatch'. It is my opinion that bigfoot is a unique North American cultural invention.
If you're referring to the Patty type, bloke in a suit creature, then yes, you are right. However, Bob Gimlin has been identified as (part) Apache.
What about Roger, which tribe is he from?

But if you're referring to a powerful forest creature, giant in stature, and potentially harmful to humans, then you are wrong.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:32 AM   #311
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
As usual, you are speaking out of your ass. That troll popped in for one post and stated he was indian. And you believe him, because it suits you.
That 'troll' has 1280 posts as of the time of this post and has been a member of this forum for more than two years. I have no reason to doubt his claim of being Iroquois or his sarcasm to bigfoot. There's nothing extraordinary about it. This is a skeptic's forum, not a place where we presume everything a member says to be a lie. Your own mother told your her tribe has no bigfoot. Last I checked, no Iroquois bigfoot myths.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:36 AM   #312
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,711
MOTS, you are some kind of poster boy for the contrarian troll that happens to find himself in a skeptical forum. You claim a childhood close encounter with Bigfoot (which you never saw) and everything moves forward from there. Your mind seems fully closed to the potential that you were never near a Bigfoot, or that this animal does not even exist. That puts you at a special disadvantage in this forum, but I think your personality feeds upon and is compelled by this 'underdog' position. There are probably ways to personally testify your experience and beliefs without being trollish. You seem comfortable acting this way and almost never break from this stereotypical character.

Your accusation of racism is just more of the same. It could have been predicted. Your responses (Hitler) are equally predictable. I can hardly take anything as truly offensive or insulting from you because it is not ever coming from a base of intelligence. It's all just a goofy stage show from a goofy guy.

If you really want people to applaud your speculations about NAs seeing Bigfoot you should take your show to BFF. I see that you do post there but the conversations seem stalled. Maybe it's because you have a special knack for twisting almost anything to point towards Bigfoot. The devoted believers may not even know how to deal with your personality.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:38 AM   #313
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,399
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
As usual, you are speaking out of your ass. That troll popped in for one post and stated he was indian. And you believe him, because it suits you.
.... and there you go again with the baseless assertions (as well as an ad hominem attack). .... and of course the irony of "you believe him, because it suits you" is just too precious.

Try doing some research before blustering away.
Here's a post from Wheezebucket, Oct 07, right here on the JREF Forums:
Quote:
I suggest you take a deep breath and count to 10 before you fire off your unsupport assertions. You know from your track record here that we will check your claims for validity.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 4th April 2008 at 09:40 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:47 AM   #314
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
But if you're referring to a powerful forest creature, giant in stature, and potentially harmful to humans, then you are wrong.
Well, by that definition you could be talking about centaurs, ogres, etc. If you can be more specific we might get somewhere. Maybe say, tell us how 'Stick Indians' correlate to bigfoot.

It's funny, you know. You'd think things would be simpler, finding evidence of a race of giant 8ft hairy bipedal primates across the continent alongside humans all these ages. I've been reading various origins myths lately, particularily the types in which the animals receive their names. It's funny how our big wood ape never seems to pop up. Bears, wolves, foxes, coyotes, eagles, salmons, moles... all these creatures and poor bigfoot is getting screwed. What's going on? Isn't he the Boss of the Woods? Not majestic enough?
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 09:57 AM   #315
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
That 'troll' has 1280 posts as of the time of this post and has been a member of this forum for more than two years. I have no reason to doubt his claim of being Iroquois or his sarcasm to bigfoot. There's nothing extraordinary about it.

Last I checked, no Iroquois bigfoot myths.
The last half of his sentence also stated that he has "wind spirit guides" and "ghost wolves". That's better than bigfoot. Start a thread and let's have it at this spirit guide, ghost wolf stuff that you now credit as truthful.

Your OP, let me say that again, your OP has two mentions of Iroquois myths associated with bigfoot. Otneyarheh and Tarhuhyiawahku. You apparently have no regard for previously stated facts.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 10:04 AM   #316
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If you really want people to applaud your speculations about NAs seeing Bigfoot you should take your show to BFF. I see that you do post there but the conversations seem stalled. Maybe it's because you have a special knack for twisting almost anything to point towards Bigfoot. The devoted believers may not even know how to deal with your personality.
Well, at least they don't call me Tonto. You should see how the devoted believers are now treating Dr. Bindernagel (never heard of him) and his reported sighting that will be detailed in a future documentary. The truly devoted (PGF) dislike me. Rockinkt, BitterMonk, WmRoy, a certain mod.

But I never showed up here as a self proclaimed bigfoot scientist, I just got my ******* *** chased.
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 10:13 AM   #317
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,711
Oh earlier today I read about Bindernagel's BF sighting. I just love the subtitle of that thread: "Good News for Science". LOL.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 10:28 AM   #318
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,240
Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
Your OP, let me say that again, your OP has two mentions of Iroquois myths associated with bigfoot. Otneyarheh and Tarhuhyiawahku. You apparently have no regard for previously stated facts.
We also know the quality and reliability or lack thereof of that list.

Go back and read the thread a little, take the words "associated with bigfoot," and then keep in mind "by who?"
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 10:40 AM   #319
manofthesea
2wu4u
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Your own mother told your her tribe has no bigfoot.
Correct. My tribe is located in the Alaskan Interior on the Yukon River. Near the Tanana River junction. She stated that when she was a child that the men in her tribe would occasionally battle "Eskimos" while out on a hunt. When I asked her why, she stated "because they're different". Eskimos aren't that different, so I still have some questions, for later.

However, like you said, the native makers of certain artifacts know exactly what creatures they are portraying. Whether it be a wolf, bear, or Bokwus-Wild Man of the Woods.

Here's a bag that my grandmother, a noted Athabascan crafts maker, made and gave to my wife after we married more than 25 years ago. She described the creature as an eagle and I have no reason to doubt her.



manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2008, 10:45 AM   #320
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,711
Earlier today I read about Bindernagel's BF sighting. I just love the subtitle of that thread: "Good News for Science". LOL.

I think the Bigfooters are hesitant to become highly excited about this. They are probably anticipating that the film will be of a blobsquatch. As was already mentioned in that thread, if the filmed subject was truly remarkable and convincing it would already be in the hands of mass media. That seems pretty reasonable to think, but it may not be the truth. It will be interesting to see how this plays out when the information is released from the BF "research" entity that is behind it all. Anyway, this is off topic for this thread.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.