ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 7th October 2017, 08:27 AM   #1761
barehl
Master Poster

As late as the early 1900s, fur was a status symbol. It stopped being a status symbol when faux fur became available. Let's look at an authoritative source like Smithsonian Magazine.
From 1919 to 1928, the United States government imposed a 10 percent tax on real fur as part of wartime measures, leading to a boon for pile manufacturers.

As technology improved, manufacturers were able to create fur effects in silk—resembling leopard, gazelle, and mole—and eventually, synthetic pile fabrics like Orlon and Dynel, created in 1948 and 1950, respectively. By 1957, fake furriers were trying their hands at replicating mink, beaver, chinchilla, seal, raccoon, ermine, pony, and giraffe, some with more success than others. At best, one could hope to convince the eye, if not the touch.
The PG film was made in 1967 when faux fur was well established. This was a full decade after the movie, The Abominable Snowman, came out in 1957. H. Beam Piper wrote Little Fuzzy in 1962 and then Fuzzy Sapiens in 1964. This is where the Ewoks in Star Wars came from.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 04:44 PM   #1762
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I've never bought Munns' claim that he's some kind of expert on fake fur from the 60's - if for no other reason (there's others) than he wasn't in "fake fur" in the 60's. The cornerstone of his phony appeal to authority is that's not fake fur on Patty because "he knows fake fur when he sees it." So instead, and out of thin air, he creates an entirely new species of bipedal animal to explain her because he's so smart and clever that it's absolutely impossible Roger Patterson could be putting one over on him. Really?

The most pathetic aspect of all is he has actually proven to the world his utter lack of skill and ability by not doing what he's been preaching he does, build costumes. More than anything else in the world, Munns wants to be better than Roger Patterson, and has been given a vast amount of time and leeway with which to do so given RP is long since dead. Yet he's not only never come close, he's never even tried. Why is that? Because it's impossible? No. Because he's just words. Think about how big of a loser you must be to continuously and shamelessly proclaim in words your exceptional talent and dominance over a guy who's been dead 35 years and yet in the end get absolutely buried by that guy's long gone but actual talent and expertise. That's within the definition of LOSER.

Bill Munns has the fastest race car you'd ever race, but he'll never race you so you'll just have to accept that he's gonna be the fastest. Racing is all about words, not horsepow...wait, what?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 06:35 PM   #1763
Jodie
Philosopher

I think they used real fur on Patty because of the sheen on the coat. It also lays more realistically than faux fur IMO. Patty looks like she's made of dyed rabbit fur to me. It would also explain that supposed hunk of something sticking out as she walked that someone thought was a thigh wound.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 7th October 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 06:52 PM   #1764
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

There is nothing natural about the lay of the ' fur ' on Patty.

Real animals don't look like they have seams all over their bodies..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2017, 07:26 PM   #1765
Jodie
Philosopher

I think you missed my point. I don't think they used faux fur on Patty.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2017, 06:50 AM   #1766
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I think you missed mine..

Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2017, 10:56 AM   #1767
Jodie
Philosopher

No, but if you can see seams on Patty then I can see why others might be fooled into thinking it was a bigfoot. It's too grainy to see detail like that. In other words, it's just as equally your imagination as it is the die hard believers who think this is a real bigfoot.

Last edited by Jodie; 8th October 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 9th October 2017, 05:06 PM   #1768
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
There is nothing natural about the lay of the ' fur ' on Patty.

Real animals don't look like they have seams all over their bodies..
Such a simple point even my favorite whipping boy Munns has glaringly missed. The non-seamless-ness of Patty's fur. The zipper might not be so obvious, but that costume is literally screaming that there's one in there somewhere.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 01:16 PM   #1769
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
No, but if you can see seams on Patty then I can see why others might be fooled into thinking it was a bigfoot. It's too grainy to see detail like that. In other words, it's just as equally your imagination as it is the die hard believers who think this is a real bigfoot.
No, it's not my imagination.

It's a suit, therefore it has seams. They have been pointed out before.

You can sort through the thousands of posts and see that information.

Here is one of the most obvious for you.

Keep in mind, they are not necessarily sewn seams, but a seam where one piece of the suit ends and another one starts.
Attached Images
File Type: gif butt1.gif (16.3 KB, 162 views)

Old 11th October 2017, 05:47 PM   #1770
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
The non-seamless-ness of Patty's fur. The zipper might not be so obvious, but that costume is literally screaming that there's one in there somewhere.
This has been mentioned before. Some seem to be desperately holding onto the idea that the back doesn't show a zipper line. If there is a zipper, I'm sure he was smart enough to put it on the left side. But I don't know why he would bother. He could have just used lacing or even safety pins.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #1771
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The costume may not have had any zipper or laces or pins at all.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:56 PM   #1772
Jodie
Philosopher

No, it's not my imagination.

It's a suit, therefore it has seams. They have been pointed out before.

You can sort through the thousands of posts and see that information.

Here is one of the most obvious for you.

Keep in mind, they are not necessarily sewn seams, but a seam where one piece of the suit ends and another one starts.
Sorry, not seeing it in that grainy footage. You can't see seams on my dresses in my old home movies from the 1960's either, I'm just saying. Obviously it's a suit but it's impossible to say how it was pieced together based on the video.
Old 11th October 2017, 07:10 PM   #1773
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by barehl View Post
This has been mentioned before. Some seem to be desperately holding onto the idea that the back doesn't show a zipper line. If there is a zipper, I'm sure he was smart enough to put it on the left side. But I don't know why he would bother. He could have just used lacing or even safety pins.
No zipper needed if it was a top and bottoms; which was a common practice with such suits, and a fact that Munns ignored.

If BH is telling the truth, this is exactly the case.

Old 11th October 2017, 07:29 PM   #1774
Jodie
Philosopher

Looking at the shading in that clip, they remind me of chaps.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:09 PM   #1775
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

To be clear-er, the zipper remark was meant metaphorically, not as predicated truth. As seen in the marginally comedic "where's the zipper?" remark. I think we agree the "fur" is pretty patchy and unnatural and way too imperfect when you really look at it to seem real, and thus all it's missing is an obvious zipper. That is, the wearer probably didn't get into it thru some opening in the anus so there was probably at least two good sized parts needed to put on the complete suit and they had to be inter-connected somehow (tied, glued, zippered, stuffed and/or otherwise mated with - and I don't care which) to work as a whole for say 30 seconds. That's all.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:06 AM   #1776
Jodie
Philosopher

Yep, looks like a flap on the butt just like a pair of Long John's, bet that's how he got in the suit.
Old 13th October 2017, 01:02 PM   #1777
jerrywayne
Muse

For what it's worth, M.K. and Patterson's Roe Ape early walk:

https://thedavisreport.wordpress.com...sition-frames/
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 01:06 PM   #1778
Drewbot
Philosopher

a human walking carefully clip, cropped with transition frames.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 03:03 PM   #1779
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My god the sole at the heel is ridiculous. Particularly at the left foot. It sticks out so far beyond the ankle that it looks like a snowshoe worn backwards. This isn't just a fake foot - it's comedy.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:06 PM   #1780
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Pattycakes: "We told you that Heironimus was lying. He never said anything about snowshoe heels."
Old 13th October 2017, 04:08 PM   #1781
Squatchy McSquatch
Thinker

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Looking at the shading in that clip, they remind me of chaps.

Jodie I never considered chaps before, but you just might be onto something.

Rog was a cowboy, a leatherworker and somewhat resourceful.

Assuming he cannibalized a suit, it would make sense that he improvised with items already in his posession.

Your chaps comment has gotten me thinking in a different direction.

FWIW: Image Searching 'furry antique cowboy chaps' -- or any similar term -- is best done with safesearch turned on.
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:50 PM   #1782
captain koolaid
Muse

No zipper needed if it was a top and bottoms; which was a common practice with such suits, and a fact that Munns ignored.

If BH is telling the truth, this is exactly the case.

Yeah, top and bottom. It's possible RP employed a furred strap as part of the butt, that passed between the legs, attaching with a sturdy snap, or whatever, to the trousers, or even at the top's crotch nearer the front. Or, vice versa, from front to back. Easily done for Roger and would be hidden in the groin area almost entirely. This would help marry the top to the bottom and allow somewhat for a better illusion, in motion, of top, bottom and butt being a single piece. Perhaps.
"Bigfoot does not leave hair samples for us unless he is in our dimension to begin with, obviously. Once the hair is separated from the electrical field associated with the Bigfoot's free quanta energy loops, the hair becomes independant and remains in it's most stable dimension, which presumably is our dimension."(Historian)

Last edited by captain koolaid; 13th October 2017 at 05:54 PM.
captain koolaid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 09:20 PM   #1783
barehl
Master Poster

You know, it's puzzling. Davis scrutinizes the back and suggests that the changes in brightness are due to movement of the back muscles. He sees this as clear evidence that the figure is real. But the weird thing to me is that the gluteus muscle is massive compared to the back muscles. So, if you truly can see movement in the back muscles then the gluteus flexion should be impossible to miss. But I don't see any movement of the gluteus, and Davis makes no mention of this. I don't know what conclusion you can draw other than confirmation bias.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:30 PM   #1784
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
My god the sole at the heel is ridiculous. Particularly at the left foot. It sticks out so far beyond the ankle that it looks like a snowshoe worn backwards. This isn't just a fake foot - it's comedy.
I see what you mean, this frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oversized foot.jpg (29.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th October 2017, 10:21 PM   #1785
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I see what you mean, this frame.
Frame 72 is the blockfoot frame, frame 61 is perfectfoot:

http://www.think-aboutit.com/wp-cont...00-422x350.jpg

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 09:19 AM   #1786
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Frame 72 is the blockfoot frame, frame 61 is perfectfoot:
Meet Surfboardfoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surfboardfoot.jpg (25.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 15th October 2017, 09:06 AM   #1787
barehl
Master Poster

The feet are the same length. So, this is clearly a costuming error.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both feet crop.jpg (42.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th October 2017, 09:21 AM   #1788
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The feet are the same length. So, this is clearly a costuming error.
Maybe the actor's own foot is moving around inside the huge fake foot?
Old 16th October 2017, 05:02 AM   #1789
Drewbot
Philosopher

That is over exposure of the frame, if I remember my Bill Munns responses correctly.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 06:37 AM   #1790
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
Jodie I never considered chaps before, but you just might be onto something.

Rog was a cowboy, a leatherworker and somewhat resourceful.

Assuming he cannibalized a suit, it would make sense that he improvised with items already in his posession.

Your chaps comment has gotten me thinking in a different direction.

FWIW: Image Searching 'furry antique cowboy chaps' -- or any similar term -- is best done with safesearch turned on.
LOLOL....I didn't even to think to search it but thanks for the heads up.
Old 16th October 2017, 06:54 AM   #1791
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
That is over exposure of the frame, if I remember my Bill Munns responses correctly.
The frames are over-exposed to such an extent that you cannot ever see toes.
Old 16th October 2017, 09:31 AM   #1792
Drewbot
Philosopher

The frames are over-exposed to such an extent that you cannot ever see toes.
You can, however, see ass crack.
Old 16th October 2017, 03:25 PM   #1793
Jodie
Philosopher

It's the way that rabbit fur is attached.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:23 PM   #1794
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

You can, however, see ass crack.
Which is a pretty interesting detail to hoax to the degree that he did. As curious as the breasts. Then again, if you're gonna try to outsmart an appreciable chunk of humanity with a clever monster hoax, you gotta give them a clever monster hoax. Though his attempt at giving the beast the appearance of genuine bulk, definition and conformation that the typical Hollywood "ape" costumes at the time lacked wasn't necessarily as clever as it was effective. For many people it throws the logic off the scent of phony just enough.
Old 17th October 2017, 12:42 PM   #1795
barehl
Master Poster

If that were true then why is the left foot the same length as the right foot where the toes are visible? That doesn't really follow.
Old 17th October 2017, 12:44 PM   #1796
barehl
Master Poster

Maybe the actor's own foot is moving around inside the huge fake foot?
Another explanation is that he kept tripping over the elongated foot, so it had to be moved backward. That would actually match with the video.
Old 17th October 2017, 01:14 PM   #1797
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

And white sand from the creek bed, he said. Oh, and something about being closer to the camera.......
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 04:45 PM   #1798
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I would have no problem letting Munns back in here. We've been deprived of his presence too long. We should be dismantling him in person. Too bad he's such a douchenozzle. Maybe we can petition for his return through that other douchenozzle Jerry Brown, the governor of California, Patty's home state.
Old 17th October 2017, 10:06 PM   #1799
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
And white sand from the creek bed, he said. Oh, and something about being closer to the camera.......
Well, again, overexposure causing blooming of the light areas would make the foot larger. But it matches the right foot in length. And you can see the same tree in both images so it wasn't much different in terms of distance.
Old 18th October 2017, 04:40 AM   #1800
Drewbot
Philosopher

And there is a new guy out there claiming there is a baby on Patty's back.
He got mad when he was told it was silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsANAuAROE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal