ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 1st December 2015, 10:31 AM   #281
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Again, if you believe that Heironimus is telling the truth then the PGF was intended to be a hoax. I will give one example but there are many others.

Patterson & Gimlin were already at Bluff Creek and had been camping there when Heironimus arrived to be filmed wearing the costume. He was instructed by P&G to hide his vehicle (his mother's car) with brush/branches and they did do that. This was obviously done so that anyone who might come by would only see Gimlin's truck and not notice that another person had come to the scene. Such a witness could destroy the hoax by later saying that they saw two vehicles at the camp instead of simply seeing Gimlin's truck.

If the intent is to film a guy in a costume to show what a Bigfoot would look like for your documentary then the concealment of your actor's vehicle is entirely unnecessary.
What's so hard about believing that a con man is pulling a hoax? What would be unbelievable is that he was doing anything straight.

Con men gotta con, it's what they do.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 11:36 AM   #282
The Shrike
Illuminator

"If you're Roger Patterson, you hoax bigfoot. It's what you do."
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2015, 12:33 PM   #283
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

By 1967, Patterson had already seen that no meaningful disadvantages come to those who tell Bigfoot lies. Instead he could see the reverse. They become cultural celebrities. Newspapers and other media wouldn't dare call them liars and instead say that they are "a man who says he saw Bigfoot" or even a "Bigfoot witness." As long as he did not confess, he had nothing to lose.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:33 AM   #284
Nakani
Muse

Topic of discussion: My boob strap theory.

My apologies if this has been suggested already,

I am thinking that the suit, regardless of what it was made from would be quite hot for the wearer. After a few practice walks and general preparation for the shoot, I surmise Bob got thirsty and because of his fake arm extentions couldn't hold the bottle. He needed someone else to give him a drink(which rarely works out well) and in the process spilled some on his right breast creating the "strap".
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 11:37 AM   #285
Drewbot
Philosopher

Pics or it didn't happen.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 11:59 AM   #286
Nakani
Muse

I'm afraid those pics and the infamous water fight reel are locked away in the Patterson vault.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2015, 06:26 PM   #287
The Shrike
Illuminator

??

I'm sure it was nice and warm inside the suit. So what? Whether Bob H. or not, all the guy in the suit had to do was "walk from here to over there." It's not like he was filming all day in Tunisia whilst dressed as a wookie.

Guy gets dressed in bigfoot suit. Gets hot. Starts to sweat. Gets thirsty. No worries - filming is completed in a jiffy. Guy takes off sweaty suit, wipes his brow, and pounds an ice cold Old Milwaukee that Roger left for him* in the creek.

*Roger had Bob Gimlin buy the beer - told him he would pay him back but never did.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2015, 08:35 AM   #288
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

A frame that shows the separation between the individual glutes

A comparison that shows the difference in quality that exists between different copies of the film

OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2015, 09:06 AM   #289
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

^^^^^
Yawn....pretty sure everyone here has seen this lame stuff before.

Last edited by Cervelo; 24th December 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2015, 09:10 AM   #290
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post

http://i.imgur.com/BwiPDJx.jpg

A comparison that shows the difference in quality that exists between different copies of the film

http://i.imgur.com/M4M7O5z.png
Old 24th December 2015, 01:50 PM   #291
Wolrab
Illuminator

Patty's Pooper Perfectly Partitioned Pampers
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2015, 03:26 PM   #292
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Just checking in. Haven't perused this thread in awhile.
It hasn't been in the news but has anyone captured or killed a bigfoot and brought it out of the bush for scientific investigation yet?
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2015, 07:44 PM   #293
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
It hasn't been in the news but has anyone captured or killed a bigfoot and brought it out of the bush for scientific investigation yet?
Yes, "they" have.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2015, 01:24 AM   #294
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
But the other "they" have taken it away, hidden all the evidence and silenced the witnesses.
Old 25th December 2015, 10:02 AM   #295
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
But the other "they" have taken it away, hidden all the evidence and silenced the witnesses.
It's "they" vs "they".

tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2015, 06:36 PM   #296
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
It's "they" vs "they".

They know who they are...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2015, 08:00 PM   #297
Nakani
Muse

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
??

I'm sure it was nice and warm inside the suit. So what? Whether Bob H. or not, all the guy in the suit had to do was "walk from here to over there." It's not like he was filming all day in Tunisia whilst dressed as a wookie.

Guy gets dressed in bigfoot suit. Gets hot. Starts to sweat. Gets thirsty. No worries - filming is completed in a jiffy. Guy takes off sweaty suit, wipes his brow, and pounds an ice cold Old Milwaukee that Roger left for him* in the creek.

*Roger had Bob Gimlin buy the beer - told him he would pay him back but never did.
Well yes, you could come up with any number of scenarios. You could suggest that Patty is an undocumented ape who was drinking from a creek and spilled water on her bullet shaped monkey breast causing a streak that we refer to as the strap. Since we weren't there all we can do is speculate as to what is the most plausible explanation.

I think my suggestion is very plausible but I also think you might be on to something with the beer. If they were having a few beers on hoax day, maybe BobH (or whoever was in the suit) had a shot before his big scene and some spilled on the suit.
Old 26th December 2015, 05:59 AM   #298
The Shrike
Illuminator

Could you provide us with a brief synopsis of this "strap", Nakani? This is a claim new to me.

Bear in mind, however, that pariedolia resulting from anomaly hunting in that film suggests to me that Roger constructed the suit entirely out of red herrings.
Old 26th December 2015, 11:20 AM   #299
Nakani
Muse

Shrike,

During the turn and look back part of the film, a vertical stripe is visible on the right breast. There was a lengthy discussion on the BFF but I'm not sure how to link to it.

Drew, do you know what I'm talking about? Could you post a picture and/or possibly a link to that thread?

I guess I should have first found out if this "strap" appears in more than one frame. If not, in all probability it's just a film anomaly and the result of pariedolia like you say.
Old 26th December 2015, 12:26 PM   #300
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
During the turn and look back part of the film, a vertical stripe is visible on the right breast.
We can try OntarioSquatch's post #117 in this thread. I see no stripe.
Old 26th December 2015, 04:19 PM   #301
Nakani
Muse

Shrike,
I went back to the BFF, to search for "the strap" and found that I wasn't remembering it very well. In my mind it was more pronounced. The picture OS posted shows what they were talking about, the little dark line coming from underneath and up the side.

It looks to me like an artifact of the film and not worth discussing.
Old 26th December 2015, 04:24 PM   #302
The Shrike
Illuminator

I'm confident that if there's a real smoking gun on the suit itself, it would have come to light in 1967. Even Ivan Marx's suit shows no zipper, however.
Old 27th December 2015, 03:12 PM   #303
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

http://i.imgur.com/BwiPDJx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M4M7O5z.png
Ironically, you don't seem to know how a butt works, or how it's supposed to look and act in motion. If you did, you'd see Patty's butt for what it is, a load of arse.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2015, 03:19 PM   #304
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Yes, "they" have.
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
It's "they" vs "they".

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
They know who they are...
I am part of "they" but not the "they" or "they" referred to above.
<<need to re-phrase inquiry>>

Does a mainstream, recognized, expert person or organization in zoology/biology have a specimen under study?

Last edited by jaydeehess; 30th December 2015 at 03:20 PM.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2015, 06:42 PM   #305
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

You'll likely see it in the news if it happens.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2015, 07:57 PM   #306
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You'll likely see it in the news if it happens.
But you said that the government covers up Bigfoot existence and confiscates the creature if captured. Won't ever be in the news, right?
Old 31st December 2015, 06:09 AM   #307
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

The worst thing that someone can do if they come across the dead body of a Sasquatch is contact the authorities. Only an individual or a group like the NAWAC, which has its own protocol can avoid a potential cover-up.
Old 31st December 2015, 06:10 AM   #308
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

The worst thing that someone can do if they come across the dead body of a Sasquatch is contact the authorities. Only an individual or a group like the NAWAC, which has its own protocol can avoid a potential cover-up.
Old 31st December 2015, 06:20 AM   #309
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The worst thing that someone can do if they come across the dead body of a Sasquatch is contact the authorities. .
What happened to all the dead bodies, body parts, bones, skulls, fossils that folks came across in the roughly 14,760 years before there were "authorities?"

Do the "authorities" of both nations, Canada and the U.S. (Mexico seems footie-free) collaborate in this cover-up? If so, will you be offering any evidence for this claim?

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 31st December 2015 at 06:49 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 07:06 AM   #310
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
What happened to all the dead bodies, body parts, bones, skulls, fossils that folks came across in the roughly 14,760 years before there were "authorities?"
It's possible that there were dead bodies recovered during that time, but we don't have any skeletons to confirm it. There's also no way to know if they were around for the last 15,000 years. My own research suggests that the Sasquatch phenomenon is more of a recent occurrence.

Do the "authorities" of both nations, Canada and the U.S. (Mexico seems footie-free) collaborate in this cover-up? If so, will you be offering any evidence for this claim?
I don't know if Canada is in on it. I've heard of investigated UFO sightings being classified as secret here, but that's about it as far as cover-ups go.
Old 31st December 2015, 07:09 AM   #311
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

The NAWACKY's LOL?

Last edited by Cervelo; 31st December 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 07:13 AM   #312
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

There are no Canadian UFO cover-ups. That's crazy talk. Imagine that.
Old 31st December 2015, 07:17 AM   #313
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Love that one. Looks like a tree hugger taking the relationship to the next level. Watch out for that chipmunk.
Old 31st December 2015, 07:21 AM   #314
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It's possible that there were dead bodies recovered during that time, but we don't have any skeletons to confirm it.
So there's no reason to believe there were. Check.
Quote:
There's also no way to know if they were around for the last 15,000 years.
You have to be kidding.
Quote:
My own research suggests that the Sasquatch phenomenon is more of a recent occurrence*.
You have to be kidding.
Quote:
I don't know if Canada is in on it. I've heard of investigated UFO sightings being classified as secret here, but that's about it as far as cover-ups go.
Evidence-Free OS.

ETA: I will agree that the phenomenon is a more recent occurrence, but not for the reasons you imagine.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 31st December 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 07:26 AM   #315
John Nowak
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
The NAWACKY's LOL?
Do they have a protocol on how to use a tape measure?

-historian
John Nowak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 07:27 AM   #316
dmaker
Graduate Poster

OS, please describe your "research".
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 07:32 AM   #317
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
He reads sighting reports and watches the PGF. He then believes (not really) in all of it. Makes no sense, but that is what he means by "research".

Last edited by Maurice Ledifficile; 31st December 2015 at 07:34 AM.
Maurice Ledifficile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2015, 07:37 AM   #318
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yes. I would very much like to know how a natural (according to OS) species, hybrid or not, evolved in less than 15,000 years. Holy punctuated equilibrium Batman!

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 31st December 2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 31st December 2015, 07:47 AM   #319
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Yes. I would very much like to know how a natural (according to OS) species, hybrid or not, evolved in less that 15,000 years. Holy punctuated equilibrium Batman!
Because space aliens.
Old 31st December 2015, 07:59 AM   #320
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

I think most bigfoot research is done like this...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal