ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Reply
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:44 PM   #361
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Michel H. I have good news for you. Greyhound racing is common in Belgium. There is a greyhound course near you.

As you can command dogs to "stop barking" you can simply go down to the track and command the dogs to not leave the starting gates. when the gates open and video this for us.

Once you have done this and presented a video of dogs not leaving the starting gates.......we can go the next step. If you can't do this.......well that ends your entire claim in one swoop.
That's not going to work. At some level, Michel H realises how his claims are utter bunk. He wont go anywhere near an actual test of his claims. He will jump through any number of hoops to avoid letting go of his odd belief. I suppose it's a form of security blanket.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 02:28 PM   #362
TheSapient
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That's not going to work. At some level, Michel H realises how his claims are utter bunk. He wont go anywhere near an actual test of his claims. He will jump through any number of hoops to avoid letting go of his odd belief. I suppose it's a form of security blanket.
From what I can tell, he isn't doing these "tests" to actually demonstrate he has telepathy. He is doing them because he hopes that good results will quiet the disturbing voices in his head. I think he fears what the clear results of a quality test would mean.

I don't say this to make fun of him or his mental illness. While I admit his "logic" can really annoy me, I do feel bad for him and wish he would accept the help that professionals and loved ones have tried to give him.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 09:48 AM   #363
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
A simple telepathy test: which number did I write?

I recently wrote and circled one of the ten numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 on my paper.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you might know it).

Thank you for participating.

Note: A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected number is:
D612368B32B23789D99BCEB8A25406415D423092779B7219FA 04B0B40BCF01A09A2CB38DF57C243F4DE009987A7FB73798ED 896AEA87CFBC75BF6DF2F0121F1F

This hash was generated here:
http://www.convertstring.com/Hash/SHA512.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 10:36 AM   #364
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,509
Is there an echo in here?
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 11:05 AM   #365
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Is there an echo in here?
As far as I am concerned, I am following this thread very carefully.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 11:28 AM   #366
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,610
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I don't fully understand why people keep responding to Michael's tests, whether seriously or in jest, unless they are new to his posts.

Michael will never accept any argument showing he is not truly telepathic. He's made up his mind. (It is curious, because the fact he keeps posting his "tests" shows there is still some doubt somewhere in him, but that doubt has never really been apparent beyond the interminable posting of his decidedly unscientific "tests".)

Joking or sarcastic responses are useless, because Michael will either not get the joke or sarcasm, or will explain it away and figure out a convoluted way in which the response actually supports his own foregone conclusions.

Urging Michael to seek medical help to try to solve his problems would seem to be an adequate approach, but unfortunately Michael has continually rejected such suggestions.

So I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
Reposted for it's renewed applicability.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 12:10 PM   #367
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
... I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
Reposted for it's renewed applicability.
Are you really sure that ignoring (simple) scientific experiments is the most honest approach, P.J. Denyer?
Don't you think Daylightstar's post:
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. All of them.
...
does at least create a doubt?
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 01:06 PM   #368
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,664
Edited because AdMan is right.
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

Last edited by fagin; 16th December 2016 at 01:08 PM.
fagin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 01:23 PM   #369
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Are you really sure that ignoring (simple) scientific experiments is the most honest approach, P.J. Denyer?
Don't you think Daylightstar's post:
does at least create a doubt?
Here we are yet again. You have proposed no "scientific experiment". Give it up. Nobody hears your thoughts.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 01:36 PM   #370
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Edited because AdMan is right.
I would have liked to see the first version of your post.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 02:06 PM   #371
jond
Master Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,922
It helps to read the whole quote rather than cherry pick. I am certain from reading Daylightstar's quote that he was being sarcastic. And so are you, Michel. You won't fool anyone here with your insistence that this quote was serious.

Quote:
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. All of them.

As per usual, he has externally expressed thoughts and private thoughts.
The private thoughts, which to me are as clear as the externally expressed thoughts make it crystal clear that his whole schtick about his mother is almost entirely untrue, apart from the urging to take medication.

Michel H, I can literally hear the cognitive dissonance grind in your mind.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 02:20 PM   #372
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by jond View Post
It helps to read the whole quote rather than cherry pick. I am certain from reading Daylightstar's quote that he was being sarcastic. And so are you, Michel. You won't fool anyone here with your insistence that this quote was serious.
He said he could "hear the cognitive dissonance grind in my mind". I objectively detect no sarcasm in that post, although I do detect some aggressivity in it. Obviously, if you demand the "perfect post", you may have to wait for a very long time.

Last edited by Michel H; 16th December 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 02:23 PM   #373
jond
Master Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,922
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
He said he could "hear the cognitive dissonance grind in my mind". I objectively detect no sarcasm in that post, although I do detect some aggressivity in it. Obviously, if you demand the "perfect post", you may have to wait for a very long time.
And what else did he say?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 02:49 PM   #374
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by jond View Post
And what else did he say?
You can read it, like any one else. He said that something I posted about my mother was "almost entirely untrue", and I find this aggressive. But this does not remove the fact that he said:
Quote:
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. All of them.

As per usual, he has externally expressed thoughts and private thoughts.
The private thoughts, which to me are as clear as the externally expressed thoughts make it crystal clear that ...

Michel H, I can literally hear the cognitive dissonance grind in your mind.
You might also want to read the beginning of this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post10276284
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 03:20 PM   #375
jond
Master Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,922
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
You can read it, like any one else. He said that something I posted about my mother was "almost entirely untrue", and I find this aggressive. But this does not remove the fact that he said:

You might also want to read the beginning of this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post10276284
Was Daylightstar correct about your mother or not?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 03:48 PM   #376
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by jond View Post
Was Daylightstar correct about your mother or not?
No, he wasn't, but this does not remove the fact that he said:
Quote:
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. All of them.
The fact that he said something incorrect about my mother does, however, reduce his credibility. This is why it is better to use several sources, and to look at the problem from different angles. For example, what "im" said on Yahoo Answers: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3134559AAR70yj is of interest as well.

What deilorsux said (in French) was interesting too: https://qc.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2075757AAog8oU

Last edited by Michel H; 16th December 2016 at 03:51 PM.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 07:03 PM   #377
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,610
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Are you really sure that ignoring (simple) scientific experiments is the most honest approach, P.J. Denyer?
Your post-hoc assignation of arbitrary weightings to ensure that results are biased to suit your preconceptions means that none of these 'experiments' help anyone, least of all you.
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Don't you think Daylightstar's post:
does at least create a doubt?
No, the fact that you're oblivious to sarcasm that is glaringly obvious to every other participant in this thread and has been repeatedly pointed out.

Sorry, but NO ONE HERE HEARS YOUR THOUGHTS. Being blunt, sarcasm doesn't register with you and humouring you is unhelpful and does you no favours. Extending this farce is pointless and and not helping you.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 09:26 AM   #378
jond
Master Poster
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,922
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
No, he wasn't, but this does not remove the fact that he said:

The fact that he said something incorrect about my mother does, however, reduce his credibility. This is why it is better to use several sources, and to look at the problem from different angles. For example, what "im" said on Yahoo Answers: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3134559AAR70yj is of interest as well.

What deilorsux said (in French) was interesting too: https://qc.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2075757AAog8oU
If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts. Period. Nothing more needs to be discussed.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 03:13 PM   #379
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by jond View Post
If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts. Period. Nothing more needs to be discussed.
I think that you should be a little more nuanced.

Your sentence: "If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts." is grammatically incorrect, a more (grammatically) correct sentence would be: "If he was incorrect about your mother, this means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts."

Does this means you are necessarily completely wrong about any subject you might talk about? No, I don't think so, it sounds too extreme.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 06:09 PM   #380
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I think that you should be a little more nuanced.

Your sentence: "If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts." is grammatically incorrect, a more (grammatically) correct sentence would be: "If he was incorrect about your mother, this means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts."

Does this means you are necessarily completely wrong about any subject you might talk about? No, I don't think so, it sounds too extreme.
You think your really strange claim that we all hear your thoughts and then lie about it for no reason is not more extreme?

Really?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 08:44 PM   #381
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,582
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
As far as I am concerned, I am following this thread very carefully.
Why do you refuse to perform the simple Greyhound test? Set out your exact reasoning.

Currently there is not an iota of evidence that anything, you claim happens, actually happens. In fact, you seem to be going out of your way to avoid any basic objective test, on purpose.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 09:39 PM   #382
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You think your really strange claim that we all hear your thoughts and then lie about it for no reason is not more extreme?

Really?
A statement like "Mr. X is telepathically broadcasting his thoughts to many human beings worldwide" does certainly have a very low a priori probability of being true, but there is (in my opinion) a lot of evidence which actually supports this statement ("X" being me), the statements by Daylightstar, "im" and deilorsux I have cited recently are examples of such evidence (there is more, however).

Regarding the lack of acceptance and recognition of this curious apparent phenomenon, I find it less surprising. It seems hard to accept to many people that I am "telepathic", while they are not. There may be some ego problems. It is curious that, when skeptics attack my work, they generally seem convinced that if "such a phenomenon were true", it would be easily accepted and recognized. But this shows a grave neglect of human psychology, in my opinion.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 09:50 PM   #383
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Why do you refuse to perform the simple Greyhound test? Set out your exact reasoning.
...
I think that your Greyhound test is very bad and unrealistic. Dogs generally don't obey me (particularly, to do things that annoy them, and could cause them trouble), they react, which is very different. The same thing is true for me when I answer to your posts: I react, but I don't obey.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 10:22 PM   #384
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,582
"Easy to verify with dogs"
Originally Posted by Michel H, two weeks ago
I have already tried to explain on this forum how I seem to be able to communicate telepathically with animals (cats, dogs, birds) near my building, And this phenomenon is very easy to verify: for example, when a dog is barking, I talk to him/her from inside my apartment with a weak voice (so he/she cannot hear me normally, sensorially), and I study whether there is a reaction, a change (often there is).
"Impossible to verify with dogs"
Originally Posted by Michel H, today
I think that your Greyhound test is very bad and unrealistic. Dogs generally don't obey me (particularly, to do things that annoy them, and could cause them trouble), they react, which is very different. The same thing is true for me when I answer to your posts: I react, but I don't obey.
You are now changing you mind, week to week and obviously, are changing your story to avoid any proper test at all.

I suggest you stop posting until you can work out what you are actually claiming.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 11:59 PM   #385
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
...
I suggest you stop posting until you can work out what you are actually claiming.
My claim is that I have a tendency to telepathically and involuntarily communicate my thoughts to other people and to animals. This phenomenon does not seem to be limited geographically (though I have no evidence for long-distance telepathy involving animals).
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. ...
Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
... I too am hearing Michel H's thoughts...
A five-year-old who can read would probably understand the meaning of the two quotes above.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 12:50 AM   #386
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Results of the test

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I recently wrote and circled one of the ten numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 on my paper.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you might know it).

Thank you for participating.

Note: A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected number is:
D612368B32B23789D99BCEB8A25406415D423092779B7219FA 04B0B40BCF01A09A2CB38DF57C243F4DE009987A7FB73798ED 896AEA87CFBC75BF6DF2F0121F1F

This hash was generated here:
http://www.convertstring.com/Hash/SHA512.
Thank you for your attention.

The number I wrote was a "2". And the complicated sentence I used to generate the SHA-512 hash posted above was:
The number is 2, two ... ,x!.

No number was given in this test. However, P.J. Denyer posted
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
... and and not helping you.
(notice the the two words "and")
Donn had posted:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Is there an echo in here?
It seems to me (though others will perhaps dispute this) that an echo is somewhat related to number two because, when an echo takes place, you have the incident wave, and then the reflected wave.
So, the correct number seems to have been suggested twice. Something similar happened on Yahoo Answers, for the same test (in French): https://fr.answers.yahoo.com/questio...6153219AAbdyoG .
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 03:58 AM   #387
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
My claim is that I have a tendency to telepathically and involuntarily communicate my thoughts to other people and to animals. This phenomenon does not seem to be limited geographically (though I have no evidence for long-distance telepathy involving animals).
Is it easy or impossible? You have claimed both.


Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
A five-year-old who can read would probably understand the meaning of the two quotes above.
Yes, because even five year olds understand sarcasm. You don't.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 04:04 AM   #388
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,451
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Thank you for your attention.

The number I wrote was a "2". And the complicated sentence I used to generate the SHA-512 hash posted above was:
The number is 2, two ... ,x!.

No number was given in this test. However, P.J. Denyer posted
(notice the the two words "and")
Donn had posted:

It seems to me (though others will perhaps dispute this) that an echo is somewhat related to number two because, when an echo takes place, you have the incident wave, and then the reflected wave.
So, the correct number seems to have been suggested twice. Something similar happened on Yahoo Answers, for the same test (in French): https://fr.answers.yahoo.com/questio...6153219AAbdyoG .
Wow. Is there any straw so flimsy that you will not clutch at it?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 08:42 AM   #389
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,002
Michel H, I can't hear your thoughts, but I'll lie about them if you want. Just give me the word.
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 09:14 AM   #390
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,668
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I recently wrote and circled one of the ten numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 on my paper.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you might know it).

Thank you for participating.

Note: A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected number is:
D612368B32B23789D99BCEB8A25406415D423092779B7219FA 04B0B40BCF01A09A2CB38DF57C243F4DE009987A7FB73798ED 896AEA87CFBC75BF6DF2F0121F1F

This hash was generated here:
http://www.convertstring.com/Hash/SHA512.
Surely you see the big problem with this test, other than us being unable to verify the results. You would need hundreds of responses to produce anything of statistical significance.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 10:24 AM   #391
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,610
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Thank you for your attention.

The number I wrote was a "2". And the complicated sentence I used to generate the SHA-512 hash posted above was:
The number is 2, two ... ,x!.

No number was given in this test. However, P.J. Denyer posted
(notice the the two words "and")
Donn had posted:

It seems to me (though others will perhaps dispute this) that an echo is somewhat related to number two because, when an echo takes place, you have the incident wave, and then the reflected wave.
So, the correct number seems to have been suggested twice. Something similar happened on Yahoo Answers, for the same test (in French): https://fr.answers.yahoo.com/questio...6153219AAbdyoG .
Good grief you write some utter rubbish. I did NOT choose the number two.

Perhaps you missed this bit-: "NO ONE HERE HEARS YOUR THOUGHTS".
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 11:38 AM   #392
Donn
Philosopher
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In my head.
Posts: 7,509
Ha ha.

See, I laughed twice!





Ha. Ha. Ha. Haaa. Haaaaaa. Aaaaah!
__________________
"If I hadn't believed it with my own mind, I would never have seen it." - thanks sackett
"If you stand on a piece of paper, you are indeed closer to the moon." - MRC_Hans
"I was a believer. Until I saw it." - Magrat
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 01:41 PM   #393
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,724
Actually, I can read Michel's thoughts. He is thinking right at the moment about his next ISF test. And it will be just as silly as all his previous failures.

I can also predict the future. Michel will post another test about the same time as Groundhog Day.

Norm
__________________
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain


fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 01:47 PM   #394
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,610
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Actually, I can read Michel's thoughts. He is thinking right at the moment about his next ISF test. And it will be just as silly as all his previous failures.

I can also predict the future. Michel will post another test about the same time as Groundhog Day.

Norm

Nice one. Seriously, have you not bothered reading the thread?

Expect to get quoted as unqualified support for Michel's ridiculous belief that everyone can read his thoughts. Congratulations on supporting his delusions.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 04:23 PM   #395
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,575
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I think that you should be a little more nuanced.

Your sentence: "If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts." is grammatically incorrect, a more (grammatically) correct sentence would be: "If he was incorrect about your mother, this means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts."

Does this means you are necessarily completely wrong about any subject you might talk about? No, I don't think so, it sounds too extreme.
Oh, but look at this Michel. You made a small grammatical slip too. Does this indicate that your claims may also be discounted?

I put it to you that you seize upon such small things as spelling mistakes when you need a reason, however irrelevant or trivial, to overlook discomforting points that people make.

I know that you are fully convinced that you broadcast your thoughts but I'm also sure that you are intelligent enough to recognise that there is no logical reasoning which has led you to this belief. Rather it became a belief first and foremost, for which you have since sought confirmation.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 18th December 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 04:34 PM   #396
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,575
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Actually, I can read Michel's thoughts...
As P.J.Denyer already said, it's really not a good idea to express yourself in this form. Even if you think it obvious that you only mean that you think what Michel is thinking is easily predictable, he will quote you as if you meant this literally.

<edit to add> For the benefit of Michel, when P.J.Denyer said "Nice one", that was an example of sarcasm.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 18th December 2016 at 04:37 PM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 05:48 PM   #397
Michel H
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Oh, but look at this Michel. You made a small grammatical slip too. ...
Yes, that's right, I should have written "Does this mean?" instead of "Does this means".
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
... Does this indicate that your claims may also be discounted? ...
No, not necessarily, that's the point I was making when I was replying to jond. You seem to have curiously reversed my reasoning, with your patronizing tone.
Originally Posted by a forum member View Post
I'm increasingly eager to see Michel's analysis ... I'm sure it will be illuminating.
Michel H is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 06:11 PM   #398
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,724
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Nice one. Seriously, have you not bothered reading the thread?

Expect to get quoted as unqualified support for Michel's ridiculous belief that everyone can read his thoughts. Congratulations on supporting his delusions.
To be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn any more. Michel will continue to think what he thinks and analyse any response in any way to support his belief.

I mean ANY response, as shown by his analysis of his latest "poll". For another example, your first sentence contained two words. Therefore he got to you and you heard the word "two" coming out of the ether.

Hell, he even claimed I heard his thoughts at one point because I named a completely different country that contained the letters an.

The best response is not to respond at all, and I stopped for a while, but many others did not, so who gives a ****, and if he does try to selectively quote me, as he has in the past, I will immediately follow with the full quote.

Norm
__________________
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain


fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 06:38 PM   #399
p0lka
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 701
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I recently wrote and circled one of the ten numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 on my paper.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you might know it).

Thank you for participating.

Note: A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected number is:
D612368B32B23789D99BCEB8A25406415D423092779B7219FA 04B0B40BCF01A09A2CB38DF57C243F4DE009987A7FB73798ED 896AEA87CFBC75BF6DF2F0121F1F

This hash was generated here:
http://www.convertstring.com/Hash/SHA512.
I suggest you go with 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, instead,
the numbers you presented are not the same as each other as there is one number that has two digits whilst the rest have one digit.
Happy to help
Merry christmas.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 07:12 PM   #400
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,362
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
My claim is that I have a tendency to telepathically and involuntarily communicate my thoughts to other people and to animals. This phenomenon does not seem to be limited geographically (though I have no evidence for long-distance telepathy involving animals).


A five-year-old who can read would probably understand the meaning of the two quotes above.
And any mentally healthy adult would recognize the sarcasm.

:facepalm:
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.