ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , bigfoot sightings , NAWAC

Old 28th June 2017, 11:01 AM   #41
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Personally, I think reality TV producers have been following the NAWAC saga for a while and have put the basic story, and some of the specific details into the script of mountain monsters.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Fully armed night hunts.
Intimidation tree breaks.
"Big Gray" alpha male.
My guess is these morons are shooting blanks, and even then only the smartest moron gets one blank.....here ya go Barney Bigfooter shoot'em up!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2017, 11:15 AM   #42
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
My guess is these morons are shooting blanks, and even then only the smartest moron gets one blank.....here ya go Barney Bigfooter shoot'em up!
I'm sure they're using blanks as well, but that still doesn't excuse their poor muzzle awareness.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2017, 11:20 AM   #43
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

On private property you can do a lot of stupid **** and it's all good LOL.
Private property won't save you if you're snap-shooting at game animals in the dark. You might be able to get out of it if you claim you were blasting hogs, but they're damn well better be hog sign. I think Fish and Game would give you the fish eye if you told them you were shooting at woods monkeys; my first suspicion would be you're shining deer.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2017, 11:37 AM   #44
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Why would police get involved if nobody calls them?
Old 28th June 2017, 11:40 AM   #45
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Why would police get involved if nobody calls them?
They wouldn't. But it would be interesting if Fish and Game caught wind of the NAWACers blasting away in the dark and decided to see what was up.

Tom McGuane
Old 28th June 2017, 12:09 PM   #46
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
They wouldn't. But it would be interesting if Fish and Game caught wind of the NAWACers blasting away in the dark and decided to see what was up.
In most states all you need is a hunting license and the presence of varmints....yotes, wild hogs, which can be hunted at night in some states you'd be in the clear.

If one of their silly stories is to be believed, they certainly had the attention of law enforcement. My thoughts have always been on a local level the BS that is NAWACKY world is well known. Heck the locals probably have shifts that have to be worked hoaxing them.
Here's your six pack and bag of rocks get to work Billy Bob.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2017, 12:28 PM   #47
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

If they're shooting actual blanks, they're stupid; blanks kill that close. Caps, perhaps, or more likely no loads at all.

It is amazingly coincidental that the scream of the Yahoo sounds just like a good ol' boy from Kentucky trying to scare the brand new Boy Scout troop.
Old 28th June 2017, 12:47 PM   #48
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

In most states all you need is a hunting license and the presence of varmints....yotes, wild hogs, which can be hunted at night in some states you'd be in the clear.
You don't hunt coyotes with 45/70s. I'd find that suspicious if that were the cover story. Most hog hunters get their macho on with AR knockoffs these days. In my neck of the woods, shots at night get investigated due to the amount of deer shining. Even with the wasting disease problems, the DNR still gets up and in there concerning poaching. If I were Fish and Game and knew what the NAWACers were attempting to sell, I'd be on the case looking to violate them, because you just know they've ********** up somehow.

Tom McGuane
Old 28th June 2017, 10:10 PM   #49
Jodie
Philosopher

You can always call Fish and Game or Parks and Recreation and ask for reports. Of course they might charge you $10,000 like David Paulides claimed they were going to charge him for missing persons reports.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2017, 07:02 AM   #50
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

You don't hunt coyotes with 45/70s. I'd find that suspicious if that were the cover story. Most hog hunters get their macho on with AR knockoffs these days. In my neck of the woods, shots at night get investigated due to the amount of deer shining. Even with the wasting disease problems, the DNR still gets up and in there concerning poaching. If I were Fish and Game and knew what the NAWACers were attempting to sell, I'd be on the case looking to violate them, because you just know they've ********** up somehow.
Hey we're on the same page...the whole thing is questionable. I was a member of The Grendal Project or whatever Norse was calling his lets go play army group. Brian Brown was part of the group as well. I asked him several questions related to weapons they were using and needless to say the answers were a little odd.
My point is in a rural area were gunfire is not unusual....someone can pretty much do whatever they want on private property and it's really not going to attract a lot of attention.
When I'm yote hunting in rural Va. we bring all manner of toys and blast away till the wee hours of the morning, haven't seen local law enforcement in over a decade. Everyone knows everyone and what they're up to in the area, the Game Wardens know who the poachers are (we report them) and their routines.
Not trying to get into an arguement...that's just been my experience in Va. and based on my time spent in the area reported to be Area X it kinda had the same mojo as my stomping grounds.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:09 AM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I speculate that there are no blank cartridges loaded at Area X, and not even when Rob Lowe is there.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:16 AM   #52
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

My point is in a rural area were gunfire is not unusual....someone can pretty much do whatever they want on private property and it's really not going to attract a lot of attention.
nvm/ot

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 29th June 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:18 AM   #53
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I speculate that there are no blank cartridges loaded at Area X, and not even when Rob Lowe is there.
What do you speculate?

Tom McGuane
Old 29th June 2017, 09:51 AM   #54
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What do you speculate?
Whenever guns are fired by NAWAC they are shooting real bullets and not blanks.
Old 29th June 2017, 02:01 PM   #55
comncents
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Were 100 miles from the nearest town. We spent 45 minutes on the most rugged, brutal mountain trails. Its one in the morning. There are a lot of serious former military men with loaded weapons, then something starts approaching our camps that is defying their orders to stop and their warnings that [they were] armed.

What????

"Hey wood-ape...you better STOP! We're on a mission to kill you and we have guns!!! Run away - RUN AWAY! before we shoot!"

OK it makes as much sense as the rest of it....
Old 29th June 2017, 09:31 PM   #56
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Speaking of Freud, there's an uncommonly common theme with all these phantom chasing shows and the people who apparently just can't get enough of them. Nobody ever gets to ***. They never actually find Bigfoot or the ghost or the treasure. In a one hour show they spend 55 minutes lubing everyone up for a punchline they know isn't ever coming, pun intended. The question is how does somebody watch a TV show over and over again that disappoints in literally every way that it could every time that it could? I've watched maybe 2 minutes of Finding Bigfoot, but there's people who've watched every single stinking minute, literally thousands of minutes, yet they have seen exactly the same number of Bigfeet (or pictures of Bigfeet) I have, zero.

Is it masochism?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 05:39 AM   #57
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by comncents View Post
Quote:
Were 100 miles from the nearest town. We spent 45 minutes on the most rugged, brutal mountain trails. Its one in the morning. There are a lot of serious former military men with loaded weapons, then something starts approaching our camps that is defying their orders to stop and their warnings that [they were] armed.

What????

"Hey wood-ape...you better STOP! We're on a mission to kill you and we have guns!!! Run away - RUN AWAY! before we shoot!"

OK it makes as much sense as the rest of it....
Do they think they own the woods such that they can shoot at someone who is just walking towards them? Do they think the warning justifies anything? Do they think they can order people about? What are they, the King's guard on royal land?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 05:41 AM   #58
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I would guess that local law enforcement is smart enough not to approach these "expeditions" while they are in the woods...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 06:57 AM   #59
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Do they think they own the woods such that they can shoot at someone who is just walking towards them? Do they think the warning justifies anything? Do they think they can order people about? What are they, the King's guard on royal land?
Don't tell me you've forgotten what Bigfoot hoaxing is all about. Area X is a stage for an ongoing Bigfoot hoax act and the NAWAC team are actors. They had a professional actor come visit and he brought cameras to film the stage play. During this, Rob is acting too.

The person walking towards camp is a shill. The NAWAC knows this and of course the gunmen know it. They may fire their guns but they aren't going to shoot their shill. He might even be the same shill who throws rocks at the cabin.

When they holler out that they are armed they aren't telling the shill anything that he doesn't already know. It's part of the act but it's a token trope line meant to inform Rob that a Bigfoot has arrived at the camp and that drama is supposed to happen now and get those cameras rolling. Rob acts scared instead of laughing because he's an actor and he has a TV program to produce. Inside his head he's thinking that these guys are good amateur actors and they've got a good shill stuntman working the bushes.

So now when Rob is interviewed he says that he thought he was going to die because he wants people to watch the show. They will edit out any bits that might suggest phonyness or staging. Of course the point is to strongly suggest or even force the audience to think that it isn't a person lurking in the bushes - it's a Wood Ape! That's why we're all here at Area X and dammit we didn't confirm its existence for science this time, but we will, we will, we will...
Old 30th June 2017, 07:35 AM   #60
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

But Rob, you have all these guys with guns and cameras, and bigfoot is right over there, tromping through the woods...

Old 30th June 2017, 08:00 AM   #61
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I thought these guys said they turned down TV offers because they didn't want a circus?

Tom McGuane
Old 30th June 2017, 08:10 AM   #62
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Lowe's show is a rodeo, not a circus.
Old 30th June 2017, 08:11 AM   #63
Donn
Philosopher

Bigfoot hoax act and the NAWAC team are actors. They had a professional actor he brought cameras to film The person walking towards camp is a shill but they aren't going to shoot their shill.
Shoot to shill!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 08:13 AM   #64
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Shoot to shill!
You've been bumblestruck.
Old 30th June 2017, 08:16 AM   #65
Donn
Philosopher

I'm sayin'
STOP wood ape
what's that sound?
Everyone shoot-at
the surround.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 08:21 AM   #66
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You can't come
Across the Sasquatch
Until you pay the toll
So don't try to lay no boogie wookie
On the King of fake and droll
Old 30th June 2017, 08:36 AM   #67
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Footie Dread, Footie Dread, now
A dreadlock Congo Bongo
Footie Dreadlock in a Babylon
Roots Footie, Roots Footie!

Tom McGuane
Old 30th June 2017, 09:13 AM   #68
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Speaking of Freud, there's an uncommonly common theme with all these phantom chasing shows and the people who apparently just can't get enough of them. Nobody ever gets to ***. They never actually find Bigfoot or the ghost or the treasure. In a one hour show they spend 55 minutes lubing everyone up for a punchline they know isn't ever coming, pun intended. The question is how does somebody watch a TV show over and over again that disappoints in literally every way that it could every time that it could? I've watched maybe 2 minutes of Finding Bigfoot, but there's people who've watched every single stinking minute, literally thousands of minutes, yet they have seen exactly the same number of Bigfeet (or pictures of Bigfeet) I have, zero.

Is it masochism?
Like gambling, for some people it's the thrill of the chase, I guess. I see no point in gambling, and I see no point in watching (Obviously Never) Finding Bigfoot (Because It Doesn't Exist).

I've seen people win the jackpot on a fruit-machine, and then stick it back in again in the obviously silly hopes of trying to win again? more? To me, those people aren't happy with the end result, they want the chase. Look at mythical "Jack the Ripper", all of those interested would have bugger-all left to do with their lives if the suspect was ever revealed, and a lot of amateur sleuths would have a lot less books to write and flog on Amazon.

Finding Bigfoot is about the "kooky" characters and their relationships with each other, the smart one, the dumb one, the dumb one, the even dumber one...actually, they're all dumb.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 09:19 AM   #69
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

But Rob, you have all these guys with guns and cameras, and bigfoot is right over there, tromping through the woods...
C'mon, everyone knows that this no-necked, hulking, hairy, long-armed ape-man, who stands between 8-12 feet tall, weighs about 900-940lbs, looks too human to kill.

Cos, y'know, humans look like Sasquatch, apparently.

Just today I noticed that my local postman was 10-foot tall, had a sloping forehead, smelt like a skunk and was covered with matted fur.

Average Believer: You wouldn't dare kill a Bigfoot, it looks too human, that's the problem, you might get arrested."

Hmmm, does it, though? No, sit down, mate. Nobody looks like a giant gorilla, you *********** fruit-loop.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 09:26 AM   #70
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Footie Dread, Footie Dread, now
A dreadlock Congo Bongo
Footie Dreadlock in a Babylon
Roots Footie, Roots Footie!
If you go down in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise
If you go down in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise!

For every Bigfoot that ever there was
Will gather there for certain
Because today's the day the
Sasquatches have their picnic.

Picnic time for Wild-Men,
The little Sasquatches are having
A lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares
And see them picnic on their holiday

See them gaily gad about
They love to play and shout
They never have any cares
At six o'clock their Mommies and Daddies
Will take them home to bed
Because they're tired little Wild-Men.

Every Skunk-Ape who's been good
Is sure of a treat today
There's lots of marvelous things to eat
And wonderful games to play

Beneath the trees where nobody sees
They'll hide and seek as long as they please
'Cause that's the way the
Sasquatches have their picnic

Picnic time for Bigfeets'es,
The little Grass-Men are having
A lovely time today
Watch them, catch them unawares
And see them picnic on their holiday!

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 30th June 2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 30th June 2017, 10:13 AM   #71
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Lowe's show is a rodeo, not a circus.
But your horse will buck you off and fall on you at the sight of a bigfoot...

Old 30th June 2017, 10:58 AM   #72
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

But your horse will buck you off and fall on you at the sight of a bigfoot...
True, but in other accounts, the horses will not be spooked and you can dismount without issue.

Old 30th June 2017, 11:17 AM   #73
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
True, but in other accounts, the horses will not be spooked and you can dismount without issue.
I would think that the bent stirrup and hurt foot would keep them to one story only. But no.
Old 30th June 2017, 11:20 AM   #74
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Only if you have tremendous agility...

Old 30th June 2017, 12:24 PM   #75
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I would think that the bent stirrup and hurt foot would keep them to one story only. But no.
It seems like they were the reasons for Patterson's ditching of Gimlin in favour of the stand-in for the remainder of the tour, seeing as how Gimlin gave contradictory accounts to various people.

Once you give a story about a bent stirrup, it's hard to go back on it, but this is what apparently happened a couple of times, which should be the smoking gun for anyone.

Old 30th June 2017, 12:25 PM   #76
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Only if you have tremendous agility...
Roger was awesome at literally everything. I'd hazard a guess that he'd be able to pee through the eye of a needle!

Old 30th June 2017, 01:00 PM   #77
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Speaking of Freud, there's an uncommonly common theme with all these phantom chasing shows and the people who apparently just can't get enough of them. Nobody ever gets to ***. They never actually find Bigfoot or the ghost or the treasure. In a one hour show they spend 55 minutes lubing everyone up for a punchline they know isn't ever coming, pun intended.(snip)
I watched one show wishing I was sedated. Not only does nothing happen, but nothing happens over and over. After every commercial, there's a recap. Same recap, different words:

"We're here looking for the Sugar Plum Fairy. Cliff and Butch have some solid sightings to go on, and their plan is to set up a foolproof ambush."

"Cliff and Butch came to this remote spot to find the Sugar Plum Fairy, and they think this is their best chance yet. Now they're setting up a clever ambush."

"The ambush is nearly complete. Soon Cliff and Butch will simply settle down and wait for the elusive prey they have sought for seventeen years . . . the Sugar Plum Fairy."

And so on and so on until my eyes glazed over.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2017, 01:15 PM   #78
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
I watched one show wishing I was sedated. Not only does nothing happen, but nothing happens over and over. After every commercial, there's a recap. Same recap, different words:

"We're here looking for the Sugar Plum Fairy. Cliff and Butch have some solid sightings to go on, and their plan is to set up a foolproof ambush."

"Cliff and Butch came to this remote spot to find the Sugar Plum Fairy, and they think this is their best chance yet. Now they're setting up a clever ambush."

"The ambush is nearly complete. Soon Cliff and Butch will simply settle down and wait for the elusive prey they have sought for seventeen years . . . the Sugar Plum Fairy."

And so on and so on until my eyes glazed over.
And then there's the suspense-building moments just before an ad-break, making it seem like if you stay tuned, you'll be treated to some amazing footage or encounter, only for the ads to end and for you to realize that literally nothing happens whatsoever.

What's worse is that this type of format is being used on so many other shows these days. The Discovery channels are unbearable these days. I saw a new one the other night, Man vs Monster, with a guy I've never heard of and can find no information on, who wears an explorer's outfit and roams around the jungles of the world looking for things that don't exist.

I don't even know how these ideas are brought up in meetings and how/why they get over.

Guys, I've got it! How about a show where we go looking for Bigfoot and giant bats and living dinosaurs?

Aren't there already a bunch of shows like that out there?

Well yeah, but none with an English guy. We'll get an English guy to do it.

Well that's pretty different. Let's do it!

Old 1st July 2017, 06:54 AM   #79
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

And then there's the suspense-building moments just before an ad-break, making it seem like if you stay tuned, you'll be treated to some amazing footage or encounter, only for the ads to end and for you to realize that literally nothing happens whatsoever.

What's worse is that this type of format is being used on so many other shows these days. The Discovery channels are unbearable these days. I saw a new one the other night, Man vs Monster, with a guy I've never heard of and can find no information on, who wears an explorer's outfit and roams around the jungles of the world looking for things that don't exist.

I don't even know how these ideas are brought up in meetings and how/why they get over.

Guys, I've got it! How about a show where we go looking for Bigfoot and giant bats and living dinosaurs?

Aren't there already a bunch of shows like that out there?

Well yeah, but none with an English guy. We'll get an English guy to do it.

Definitely an overdone (and badly done) format. Even Master Chef does it (and I kind of like that show) before revealing the results of a round of cooking competition.
Old 1st July 2017, 01:45 PM   #80
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post

Comedy gold! You're actually a writer for these shows huh?!

We'll get an English guy to do it.

You're probably not far too off on that.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal