ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd August 2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Setsurinvich
Student

"unsolved" stories invovling the supernatural that really bug you

Do you guys have any sort of pet peeve stories about the supernatural that really annoy you? Especially ones that weren't properly debunked but absurdly outrageous?

Mine would be Johanna Michaelsen and her psychic surgeon friend which I had already mentioned a few times on this forum. Its the story of one womans trip of one form of fundamentalism to another
Setsurinvich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 01:33 AM   #2
fagin
Illuminator

Well, there is this whole bible/koran fairy story thing that quite a lot of people seem to believe.
Old 24th August 2017, 07:56 AM   #3
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Beware of becoming invovled in many weird things. So weird I do not even know what the word means!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 07:58 AM   #4
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Subtle hint: ALWAYS check your title for errors before you put your thread up on the forum!!!! I think the mods can fix it if you ask politely!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 07:58 AM   #5
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Setsurinvich View Post
Do you guys have any sort of pet peeve stories about the supernatural that really annoy you? Especially ones that weren't properly debunked but absurdly outrageous?

Mine would be Johanna Michaelsen and her psychic surgeon friend which I had already mentioned a few times on this forum. Its the story of one womans trip of one form of fundamentalism to another
For me, there doesn't need to be a definitive debunking for me to accept that nonsense has occurred and that there's no room for any actual supernatural activity to have taken place.

Usually, there's a solid and rational alternative to the nonsense being proposed, so it just comes down to whether or not you prefer the fantastical tale, or the mundane explanation.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Subtle hint: ALWAYS check your title for errors before you put your thread up on the forum!!!! I think the mods can fix it if you ask politely!!!!!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Apathia
Illuminator

Lately I've been seeing the Piri Reis Map nonsense offered up again and again. And then there are those stupid "time traveler" photos.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I don't understand what is "unsolved" about psychic surgery; it is all misdirection and sleight of hand.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Setsurinvich
Student

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I don't understand what is "unsolved" about psychic surgery; it is all misdirection and sleight of hand.
I am aware but this one I mentioned absurdly ludicrous and involved "famous" evangelicals that would probably be respectable enough to be avoid this type of inane nonsense
Setsurinvich is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 10:36 AM   #10
Setsurinvich
Student

Beware of becoming invovled in many weird things. So weird I do not even know what the word means!!!!!
I went to sleep 10 minutes after I made the post perhaps that is why
Old 24th August 2017, 11:43 AM   #11
3point14
Pi

Every mystery, EVER solved has turned out to be, Not Magic.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

When I was younger, I used to read a lot of books about the supernatural: ghost stories, bigfoot, witchcraft, unsolved tales, and so on and so forth. TV shows, too. I loved the weird and unusual. And a lot of the stories had no possible explanation, so there must be something to it, right?

However, the more I looked into the actual stories themselves, actually researching them instead of reading about them in short articles, or in books with titles like "21 mysteries of the paranormal", I found out that they often aren't as unsolved as claimed. Much like the old "science says bumblebees can't fly" bit that often gets trotted out. Details often get embellished, over-emphasized, or downright fabricated. Certain things that are stated as fact are found to be just the story told by one witness, often years after the fact. Most are found to be based only on uncertainty leaving room for supposition, a sort of "god of the gaps" argument because full information isn't available.

One of the turning points for me was my own ghost story, which occurred at my grandmother's funeral. I've told the story a few times on this board. Basically, the truth turned out to be something completely unexpected, that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years, if ever. And I wouldn't have believed it later if it had been offered as an explanation. If I hadn't gone and looked, and found that answer, it would itself have been one of those "unexplainable" ghost stories. That led me to realize that most of these are unexplainable just because no one looked when it happened, and they wouldn't believe the actual cause later unless they saw it.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 02:11 PM   #13
simonxlong
Thinker

The story of the "green eyes" at the Chickamauga Battlefield. Basically its a standard battlefield ghost story about disembodied glowing green eyes seen at the Battlefield. It's widely circulated in the area, always in the form of a friend of a friend experienced it type tale. Truthfully, it's more of an urban myth than anything. It just gets old hearing about it.
simonxlong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 02:58 PM   #14
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I am aware but this one I mentioned absurdly ludicrous and involved "famous" evangelicals that would probably be respectable enough to be avoid this type of inane nonsense
Sorry... I'm trying to parse that connection of yours I bolded... but I'm laughing too hard.

Just for starters... you might look into Peter Popoff.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 06:58 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The biggest mystery to me is why supposedly smart people continue to believe in this nonsense.
Old 24th August 2017, 08:00 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Seriously, this is the problem if you don't get it lying for Jesus is acceptable in many Evangelical circles. Then there is the whole prosperity theology that leads many of those involved to lie cheat and steal because all they have to do is ask forgiveness and God must not mind or it wouldn't have been in his plan to let them get away with it.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Sorry... I'm trying to parse that connection of yours I bolded... but I'm laughing too hard.

Just for starters... you might look into Peter Popoff.
That too.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th August 2017 at 08:03 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 08:03 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The biggest mystery to me is why supposedly smart people continue to believe in this nonsense.
By that same token it is a mystery to me why the human species is advanced enough to land men on the Moon and send functioning rovers to Mars, but we're not advanced enough to get over ancient god beliefs.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 08:45 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
By that same token it is a mystery to me why the human species is advanced enough to land men on the Moon and send functioning rovers to Mars, but we're not advanced enough to get over ancient god beliefs.
Including Buzz Aldrin, who did communion on the moon.
Old 24th August 2017, 08:46 PM   #19
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I went to sleep 10 minutes after I made the post perhaps that is why
Does make sense!!!

Wash this space!

Old 24th August 2017, 09:12 PM   #20
EHocking
Philosopher

It is what happens should you ever covfefe.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2017, 10:28 PM   #21
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

For me it is the reincarnation stories that reappear regularly in spite of the fact that they have been thoroughly debunked.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 06:34 AM   #22
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with becoming more advanced. The quest for learning and knowledge is as much of a natural human trait as it is to believe in higher powers, regardless of your intelligence. It's just our nature.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 08:46 AM   #23
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe ancient god beliefs are the more advanced position.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 09:04 AM   #24
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Maybe ancient god beliefs are the more advanced position.
Which ones?

What do you consider more advanced?

Etc.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2017, 11:23 AM   #25
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
For me it is the reincarnation stories that reappear regularly in spite of the fact that they have been thoroughly debunked.
Because believers avoid debunkers in droves!!! And most of them have no trust in science or normal medicine.

Wash this space!

Old 25th August 2017, 11:40 AM   #26
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Evangelicals are ludicrous and inane. It is part of their genetics apparently. If I had to guess I would have to assume that their bodies are miswired such that fecal matter is passed to their brain instead of out their anus.

Wash this space!

Old 25th August 2017, 11:42 AM   #27
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
It is what happens should you ever covfefe.
Thanks!!! That begins to make it make sense!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 25th August 2017, 12:13 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Evangelicals are ludicrous and inane. It is part of their genetics apparently. If I had to guess I would have to assume that their bodies are miswired such that fecal matter is passed to their brain instead of out their anus.
Except for many, if not most, of their leaders, who are greedy con artists.
Old 25th August 2017, 04:26 PM   #29
Axxman300
Graduate Poster

Just one:

How do the Atlanta Falcons blow a 28 point half-time lead to the New England Patriots?
Old 25th August 2017, 07:19 PM   #30
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Just one:

How do the Atlanta Falcons blow a 28 point half-time lead to the New England Patriots?
Pre-season game? Take all the starters out after the half.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:39 PM   #31
Axxman300
Graduate Poster

Nope, the last Super Bowl.

If there is a god he hates the Falcons.
Old 25th August 2017, 11:35 PM   #32
EHocking
Philosopher

Thanks!!! That begins to make it make sense!!!!!!
I and a small group of people know exactly what it meant.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 02:27 PM   #33
JJM 777
Illuminator

Nearly all religions.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 09:58 PM   #34
JJM 777
Illuminator

Origin of life, universe, and everything.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 07:06 AM   #35
fleabeetle
Muse

Originally Posted by simonxlong View Post
The story of the "green eyes" at the Chickamauga Battlefield. Basically its a standard battlefield ghost story about disembodied glowing green eyes seen at the Battlefield. It's widely circulated in the area, always in the form of a friend of a friend experienced it type tale. Truthfully, it's more of an urban myth than anything. It just gets old hearing about it.

Late in noticing this thread – this post, somewhat topic-drifting; but, anyhow...

I had only ever before heard of the “Chickamauga Green Eyes” thing, in one context. That was, the Bigfoot issue – over which (risking being ridiculed here, by saying this) I’ve tried to keep an open mind. On my just now directly Googling “Chickamauga Green Eyes” for the first time, it was brought home to me that there are a wide variety of descriptions of the phenomenon by supposed encounterers of it (and that some people allege its having been present in the area, before the Civil War) – many of them, though, involving green-eyed bipedal figures on the “large” side, and displaying some shagginess of hair.

In places where the proposition “Bigfoot is a real creature” is enthusiastically given voice to, I have seen the Chickamauga apparition described as a Bigfoot-like hairy giant – with green eyes, of course – seen prowling the battlefield after the end of the fighting, and doing some dismembering and eating of corpses. My today’s findings as above, have been my first encounter with different variants of the tale. The Bigfoot devotees of course take their version of it, as evidence of specimen(s) of their favourite creature being alive and well in Georgia in 1863. While I don't consider with total certainty, that everything about this told-of apparition is, self-evidently, arrant crap; I do reckon the just-above-mentioned, an instance of “To a Bigfooter, all things are Bigfooty”.
fleabeetle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 07:28 AM   #36
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

The ones that bug me the most are the 'Ancient Alien' stories that have been throughly de-bunked, and yet there are still large numbers of people who believe that aliens built the pyramids and other such nonsense.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 08:01 AM   #37
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Past lives regression through hypnosis.
Old 30th August 2017, 07:50 PM   #38
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fleabeetle View Post
In places where the proposition “Bigfoot is a real creature” is enthusiastically given voice to, I have seen the Chickamauga apparition described as a Bigfoot-like hairy giant – with green eyes, of course – seen prowling the battlefield after the end of the fighting, and doing some dismembering and eating of corpses.
I should think that the thousands of heavily-armed survivors on both sides would have objected to such shenanigans.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:02 AM   #39
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fleabeetle View Post
Late in noticing this thread – this post, somewhat topic-drifting; but, anyhow...

I had only ever before heard of the “Chickamauga Green Eyes” thing, in one context. That was, the Bigfoot issue – over which (risking being ridiculed here, by saying this) I’ve tried to keep an open mind. On my just now directly Googling “Chickamauga Green Eyes” for the first time, it was brought home to me that there are a wide variety of descriptions of the phenomenon by supposed encounterers of it (and that some people allege its having been present in the area, before the Civil War) – many of them, though, involving green-eyed bipedal figures on the “large” side, and displaying some shagginess of hair.

In places where the proposition “Bigfoot is a real creature” is enthusiastically given voice to, I have seen the Chickamauga apparition described as a Bigfoot-like hairy giant – with green eyes, of course – seen prowling the battlefield after the end of the fighting, and doing some dismembering and eating of corpses. My today’s findings as above, have been my first encounter with different variants of the tale. The Bigfoot devotees of course take their version of it, as evidence of specimen(s) of their favourite creature being alive and well in Georgia in 1863. While I don't consider with total certainty, that everything about this told-of apparition is, self-evidently, arrant crap; I do reckon the just-above-mentioned, an instance of “To a Bigfooter, all things are Bigfooty”.
When you consider the fact that the story of a supernatural phantom in the Cairngorms in Scotland is often discussed as being a Yeti by Bigfoot-believers, you kind of get the gist about how their brains work (or don't work.)

Everything is a Bigfoot, even Werewolves and Goatmen, because, oddly, those things don't exist, but Bigfoot does.

I wonder if Werewolf-believers consider all Bigfoot sightings to be Lycan in origin.

Old 4th September 2017, 05:50 PM   #40
wasapi
Illuminator

I'm not sure if it fits in the paranormal sense, but those who insist they were kidnapped/experimented on/had sex with some creature from another planet.

Yeah, that one bugs me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal