ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 2nd September 2017, 01:54 AM   #161
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
You assert that. What we think we know and what turns out to be the case are often two different things.

What the inumerate techno-peasants claim and what they can demonstrate are exactly one universe apart.
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:38 AM   #162
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You assert that. What we think we know and what turns out to be the case are often two different things.
Well yes I do assert it in this post, but it isn't an assertion it's now a matter of fact. If I get chance when I'm on my PC I'll drag the various links and post.

At certain scales we really have reality pinned down completely accurately. Any information flow from one brain to another has to be in accordance with what we now know to be how reality works. The gaps that the claimed supernatural telepathy could have lived in have been fully described.
Old 2nd September 2017, 03:30 AM   #163
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Well yes I do assert it in this post, but it isn't an assertion it's now a matter of fact. If I get chance when I'm on my PC I'll drag the various links and post.

At certain scales we really have reality pinned down completely accurately. Any information flow from one brain to another has to be in accordance with what we now know to be how reality works. The gaps that the claimed supernatural telepathy could have lived in have been fully described.
This is a good place to start. If you don't want to watch it all, skip to the last 12 minutes or so.
Old 2nd September 2017, 05:40 AM   #164
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
This is a good place to start. If you don't want to watch it all, skip to the last 12 minutes or so.
Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:17 AM   #165
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

It would account for supposed paranormal accounts that otherwise reliable people have reported. A teacher I've worked with for over a decade swears her daughter saw grandma walking down the hallway right around the same time she died in the hospital. And the daughter, who later became a teacher I also worked with, verified the whole thing.

Was it documented when it happened? If not, once again you are confusing the inaccuracy of memory with that of our senses.
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:22 AM   #166
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
He hinted at it here:
Intuition...body language...reading eyes...NOT telepathic.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:24 AM   #167
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Telepathy is not necessary to explain such things. We know that subliminal inputs can warn us of things before we become consciously aware of the cause. I've experienced this myself.

Athletes refer to being "in the zone" when it's like the body is running itself at a high level of performance.
Skilled martial artists often appear to "know what the opponent is going to do" before he does it. This is just long experience and the ability to read subtle body cues and facial expression, further developed by years of training.
Agreed.
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:25 AM   #168
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
If a person actually had telepathic powers, then there would be any number of ways that such a person could use his powers to make oodles of money. Playing cards, espionage, being a police investigator, being a lawyer, being a reporter, and so on.
Many probably are...
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:26 AM   #169
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Hi, King of the Americas. Welcome back.

I did what you asked. I named my terms, just like you said. OK, let's get it going with Randi's test. How would you like to proceed?
I don't know...

Name something impossible.
Old 2nd September 2017, 06:27 AM   #170
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Humans are good at pattern recognition.
Some are waaaaay better than others.
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:32 AM   #171
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I don't know...

Name something impossible.
I'm sure you are familiar with the way Randi conducted the MDC. You have made an extraordinary claim and must develop a testable protocol.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 07:41 AM   #172
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Many probably are...
Many probably claim they are, you mean.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 08:42 AM   #173
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Some are waaaaay better than others.
Some are waaaaay better at running than others.

Paranormal, you think?

How's the protocol you're setting up with Michel H going? Are you doing it telepathically?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:15 AM   #174
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Many probably are...
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Last edited by Darat; 2nd September 2017 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Tags
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:22 AM   #175
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It would account for supposed paranormal accounts that otherwise reliable people have reported. A teacher I've worked with for over a decade swears her daughter saw grandma walking down the hallway right around the same time she died in the hospital. And the daughter, who later became a teacher I also worked with, verified the whole thing.

Either every account like that (and there are countless anecdotes) are all lies, which is absurd, or people are grossly mistaken about what they're seeing, which doesn't help the whole "senses are reliable" argument, or something genuinely strange sometimes happens to people.

It also could be that telepathy happens all the time, but our brains do it automatically, below the conscious level, so it goes unnoticed, like digestion. And occasionally it percolates to the conscious, and you have a genuine moment of precognition or whatever. The causal mechanism would be unknown, but then that's true of lots of things.
If vision is so unreliable, how do you explain the proliferation of visual arts and sciences throughout human history?

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 12:28 PM   #176
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Many probably are...
If so, then it should be quite easy for you to clearly show that telepathy is real.

However, you continually fail to show that telepathy is real.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:14 PM   #177
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This property--reliable, predictable, consistent--is a property of real things that do useful work in the real world.

At the most basic level, telepathy isn't real because it cannot be tested. If the test fails, "oh, it's not reliable." If the prediction is wrong, "oh, it's not predictable." If the results look like noise, "oh, it's not consistent."
Some batters are great at certain times of the season or game, some batters are or have the same or a similar batting average through the season.

I found 'the zone' only once, but I didn't miss anything that day. EVERYTHING I shot went in. As a Senior I played one on one against a scholarship athlete at a Division II school, and beat him, easily.

Most of the time I was merely slightly above average in stats. That said, all of my coaches, saw me as our closer. Get the ball to me, and I'll get us the win. My last free throw was always a make, whereas I might miss ones in the first quarter.

I won way more games than I lost, but I was inconsistent in my performances. But I had talent, that I had honed.

I think the best test would be to have poker players asking questions of someone while they are plugged into a lie-detector machine.
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:18 PM   #178
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
I'm sure you are familiar with the way Randi conducted the MDC. You have made an extraordinary claim and must develop a testable protocol.
My claim?
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:35 PM   #179
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

My claim?
Your claim.

'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:36 PM   #180
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

So, anyone want to help run an experiment?

At an agreed time, I will shuffle a deck of cards. I'll turn them over and concentrate on each card for five seconds. I will post the series as a hash. You will post your guess. I'll then decode the hash and we can compare your answers. Let's agree on a number of cards you need to guess correctly. I would say that 10 cards would be a show that would merit a repeat test. After two tests, we can devise a more sound scientific test with witnesses.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:38 PM   #181
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

My claim?
Have you forgotten your OP?

Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection...

Ever feel like someone or something is watching you? Prey animals who can sense being watched, OFTEN look in direction of their stalker. If you look at the back of someone's head, more often than not they will turn and look right at you.
I've highlighted the claims.

These claims are easily testable and have, in fact, been tested by others using robust, carefully controlled protocols with negative results. Yet you, apparently, know better. So where are your protocols and test results to justify these claims?
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:39 PM   #182
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

My claim?

Yes... YOUR claim.

Recent events and displays of well researched data has indicated to me, that 'telepathy' or the ability to extend one's consciousness beyond one's cranium is a real measurable phenomena, that has its basis in natural selection...

After a few youtube searches I found some rather astounding test results.

Anyone here want to run a test, employing skeptics as the subjects??

Right there... in YOUR opening post to this thread.

Stop wheeling the goalposts around and decide what you'd like to test for, and how you'd like the testing be conducted.

You might also consider losing some of that "troll" taint you keep hauling around by pointing us toward that "well researched data".

eta: Goddammit... Ninja'd.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 2nd September 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 01:44 PM   #183
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

My claim?
Yes indeed your claim about how telepathy is real.

Just like your claim about how you saw space vehicles that were not made by humans.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 02:58 PM   #184
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
King of the Americas, I thought you and I had an agreement. It looks like you are backing down from that agreement. No problem. I understand. I am a reasonable person and fully understand if you want to back out. I won't hold it against you. No harm, no foul.

Cheers,
DAO
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:38 AM   #185
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

I'm sorry, I didn't know our knowledge was so vast. Maybe you can also express such certitude about which interpretation of QM is correct, whether other universes exist, how life started, what consciousness is and how it arises, and what the 95% of the universe we have no idea about actually is.

Until then, I'm skeptical of the kind of certainty you are sure of.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 02:27 AM   #186
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

I'm sorry, I didn't know our knowledge was so vast. Maybe you can also express such certitude about which interpretation of QM is correct, whether other universes exist, how life started, what consciousness is and how it arises, and what the 95% of the universe we have no idea about actually is.

Until then, I'm skeptical of the kind of certainty you are sure of.
Just plain naughty. Not what Darat was saying at all, No need to bring all this other stuff into the discussion.
Did you watch the video I linked to? It explains quite clearly how, despite that fact that we don't know everything about everything (scientific strawman if ever I heard one), we can be certain that telepathy does not exist, at least not here on earth.
There is a difference between skepticism and closed-mindedness, the difference being a willingness to devote 10 minutes of your life to educating yourself.
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:02 AM   #187
sackett
Philosopher

Telepathy is like UFOs: to a believer, the absence of evidence is just further proof that the phenomenon is real.

No, I don't know how that works. Some failing in me, doubtlessly. Alas.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:33 AM   #188
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Telepathy is like UFOs: to a believer, the absence of evidence is just further proof that the phenomenon is real.

The absence of evidence is the absence of absence!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:13 AM   #189
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Yes... YOUR claim.

Right there... in YOUR opening post to this thread.

Stop wheeling the goalposts around and decide what you'd like to test for, and how you'd like the testing be conducted.

You might also consider losing some of that "troll" taint you keep hauling around by pointing us toward that "well researched data".

eta: Goddammit... Ninja'd.
Yawn...

Do you want to help or not?
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:15 AM   #190
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
At an agreed time, I will shuffle a deck of cards. I'll turn them over and concentrate on each card for five seconds. I will post the series as a hash. You will post your guess. I'll then decode the hash and we can compare your answers. Let's agree on a number of cards you need to guess correctly. I would say that 10 cards would be a show that would merit a repeat test. After two tests, we can devise a more sound scientific test with witnesses.
Time and date?

Number and suit? 10 cards...?

So, each place, with the correct number and suit will be counted as one right answer, or ALL 10 must be right to declare a positive result?
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:51 AM   #191
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Yawn...

Do you want to help or not?
No useful response to most of the replies to your posts.

No evidence.

Treating members with weary contempt.

Do you think this attitude is going to get people on board?
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:10 PM   #192
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Just plain naughty. Not what Darat was saying at all, No need to bring all this other stuff into the discussion.
Did you watch the video I linked to? It explains quite clearly how, despite that fact that we don't know everything about everything (scientific strawman if ever I heard one), we can be certain that telepathy does not exist, at least not here on earth.
There is a difference between skepticism and closed-mindedness, the difference being a willingness to devote 10 minutes of your life to educating yourself.
We can't be entirely certain of anything, but the bolded stands out. You're giving yourself wiggle-room. Why would alien brains allow psi-powers while human brains don't? Are you opening the door to the existence of psi powers in possible non-humans? What about psi abilities present in possible advanced machine intelligences?

Last edited by Fudbucker; 3rd September 2017 at 12:11 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:14 PM   #193
Donn
Philosopher

We can't be entirely certain of anything, but the bolded stands out. You're giving yourself wiggle-room. Why would alien brains allow psi-powers while human brains don't? Are you opening the door to the existence of psi powers in possible non-humans? What about psi abilities present in possible advanced machine intelligences?
Yeah, let's shift the dramatic evidence of impossible things to imaginary aliens. It's a better fit.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:22 PM   #194
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Yeah, let's shift the dramatic evidence of impossible things to imaginary aliens. It's a better fit.
I wasn't the one restricting my claim to Earth. Assuming aliens exist, do you believe it's possible some have psi abilities? If so, the same questions apply to you that I asked Cosmic. If not, what are you basing the impossibility on?
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:54 PM   #195
King of the Americas
Philosopher

No useful response to most of the replies to your posts.

No evidence.

Treating members with weary contempt.

Do you think this attitude is going to get people on board?
Respect has and will always be extended where it is offered.

Offer helpful advice or not.

Volunteer or not.

Characterizations of me are unwelcome.
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:09 PM   #196
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post

Sorta...

Small amounts of conclusive proof in a sea of fakery means 'real'...not doubtful.
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:15 PM   #197
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Have you any of this "conclusive proof"?

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:20 PM   #198
Donn
Philosopher

I wasn't the one restricting my claim to Earth. Assuming aliens exist, do you believe it's possible some have psi abilities?
Oh, you scamp! Of course your's is the more open mind. Silly me.

Quote:
If so, the same questions apply to you that I asked Cosmic. If not, what are you basing the impossibility on?
I base it on the same old same old. Arguments from ignorance. Special pleading. Psi of the gaps. Blah. Blah. Pull the other one.
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:22 PM   #199
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Have you any of this "conclusive proof"?
He could go all Jabba on it; begin summing infinities; but I think this one lacks even such panache.
Old 3rd September 2017, 01:56 PM   #200
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Oh, you scamp! Of course your's is the more open mind. Silly me.
I didn't say anything about open-minded. The person I was talking to mentioned "at least on Earth". That naturally begs several non-earth questions. Please keep up.

Quote:
I base it on the same old same old. Arguments from ignorance. Special pleading. Psi of the gaps. Blah. Blah. Pull the other one.
Thanks for the answer.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal