ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astrology , bible predictions , predictions , prophecies

Old 5th September 2017, 06:27 PM   #41
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It might be a good idea to make plans to go away this weekend, when Irma is due to touch on South Florida.

In the meantime it is the Caribbean Islands of the Leeward Islands, Cuba, Puerto Rico who are more likely to bear the full brunt.

As British Airways and American Airlines have already cancelled flights in those regions, they have little chance of getting away.

For now, it is wise to be prepared, but it is not certain it will effect Florida.
They added flights today to support evacuation. As for Florida, both models show it hitting Florida. It's now a matter of which coast gets it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 06:53 PM   #42
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
They added flights today to support evacuation. As for Florida, both models show it hitting Florida. It's now a matter of which coast gets it.
I wonder if I can put some money on 'passes right over Key West, then makes mainland landfall at Sanibel/Captiva/Fort Myers'?
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 03:08 AM   #43
Arisia
Graduate Poster

5 am projection is showing a turn north going over Key Largo and landfall west of Miami/Homestead as a Cat 4 and remaining a Cat 3 at least as far inland as Lake Okeechobee (~100 miles inland from landfall point). So right over the Everglades.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 03:21 AM   #44
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Coming to SyFy 2018... Gatornado.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 03:22 AM   #45
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
5 am projection is showing a turn north going over Key Largo and landfall west of Miami/Homestead as a Cat 4 and remaining a Cat 3 at least as far inland as Lake Okeechobee (~100 miles inland from landfall point). So right over the Everglades.
Much of my flying career was over S FL.

The Everglades and surrounding water management areas are barely above SL and highly vulnerable to salt water incursion. They're the "river of grass" upon which S FL depends for a water source.

Massive dikes were built around Lake Okeechobee after a hurricane killed thousands in the 1930's. Destroyed much of the natural beauty of the lake, but they appear nearly impossible to breach. Regardless, Irma may test all the safeguards in place.
Old 6th September 2017, 03:58 PM   #46
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

How come they are always 'fat'?
Because they are both fat.

What a time to be alive! It's like the collapse of Rome but with WiFi
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 05:52 PM   #47
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
Because they are both fat.
Can somebody put them both on a diet, and perhaps they'll stop being fat bastards.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 09:34 AM   #48
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And wildfires in British Columbia. Our wildfires are bigger . Some have been burning since June.
In Colorado, we have had a fairly wet summer and few wildfires, but right now we're getting all the smoke from the fires to the northwest. It's the worst smoke I've seen since the Hayman fire in 2002, which was right in our back yard.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 01:26 PM   #49
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Around about the same time as this year, in 2010, a similar cohort of three hurricanes in the Gulf/Caribbean as Katia, Irma and Jose were in an uncannily similar position...and their names began with the same initial letters: Karl, Igor and Julia. Two have four letters to their name and one five and ending in
'-ia'.

<fx theme from twilight zone>

If Carl Jung were alive today, I wonder what he would have to say about this synchronicity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hurricanes.jpg (147.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Vixen; 7th September 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 02:02 PM   #50
ahhell
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
One of my new favorite things.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 11:44 PM   #51
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

When the hell did Katia join the party?

Jeez... I take an afternoon off from the news to get over the nausea of incessant Trump speech clips, and now there's three.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 08:48 AM   #52
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
When the hell did Katia join the party?

Jeez... I take an afternoon off from the news to get over the nausea of incessant Trump speech clips, and now there's three.
Sounds like a folk group, Irma, Katia and José.

Or, Irma and the Hurricanes.

Katia and the Waves...?

Last edited by Vixen; 8th September 2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 8th September 2017, 04:42 PM   #53
Carlotta
Thinker

Sounds like a folk group, Irma, Katia and José.

Or, Irma and the Hurricanes.

Katia and the Waves...?
Yeah but Harvey and Irma sound like a couple in a 50s sitcom.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 06:08 PM   #54
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Around about the same time as this year, in 2010, a similar cohort of three hurricanes in the Gulf/Caribbean as Katia, Irma and Jose were in an uncannily similar position...and their names began with the same initial letters: Karl, Igor and Julia. Two have four letters to their name and one five and ending in
'-ia'.

<fx theme from twilight zone>

If Carl Jung were alive today, I wonder what he would have to say about this synchronicity.
Who gives a ****? It's not as if what you're pointing out matters.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 06:10 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Yeah but Harvey and Irma sound like a couple in a 50s sitcom.
And Katia and Jose from a Cuban sitcom of the Missile Crisis era.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:56 PM   #56
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Who gives a ****? It's not as if what you're pointing out matters.
The meteorologists might be interested that a similar pattern of hurricanes has occurred more than once. There could actually be a physical explanation for it, in which case it might contribute to our understanding of (and therefore ability to predict) how hurricanes form and track.
Old 9th September 2017, 05:34 AM   #57
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The meteorologists might be interested that a similar pattern of hurricanes has occurred more than once. There could actually be a physical explanation for it, in which case it might contribute to our understanding of (and therefore ability to predict) how hurricanes form and track.
I was referring to the numbers and letter part of her post.
Old 9th September 2017, 07:47 AM   #58
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I was referring to the numbers and letter part of her post.
Ah. Fair enough.
Old 11th September 2017, 05:37 PM   #59
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I actually opened the thread expecting a Nostradamus quatrain.
I am disappointed.

No, really... that's what I was expecting.
The year the great seventh number is accomplished
That they will be the authors of a great conflict
Because of death too late a great people re-created
And war reign haply where it once did cease

- From Nostradamus Quatrain Generator
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2017, 09:37 PM   #60
dropzone
Master Poster

(checking my watch) Based on CDT, the world has 26 minutes to end. It's a big project and it hasn't started. I would say that the subs have fallen down on the job, and I will look into not paying them.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 05:15 AM   #61
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Irma, North Korea, and 23 Sept 2017 perfectly fulfill the Great Prophecy which proclaims, "Woe unto the multitudes. Forsooth, some **** happens, some **** doesn't happen yet but still threatens to happen, and some **** doesn't happen."

I think it's in the Koran somewhere. Or maybe Nostradamus.
Old 24th September 2017, 11:58 AM   #62
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
The world feels significantly less than destroyed today.
Old 24th September 2017, 12:34 PM   #63
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The world feels significantly less than destroyed today.
That's what THEY want you to think!
Old 25th September 2017, 05:45 AM   #64
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

It was destroyed. But it was replaced with an exact duplicate.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 01:58 PM   #65
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
It was destroyed. But it was replaced with an exact duplicate.
Again?
Old 25th September 2017, 05:44 PM   #66
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Mice. It's those dang mice again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal