ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags General Skepticism humor , logical fallacies , pedophilia conspiracies

Old 25th September 2017, 08:59 AM   #241
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Who placed the Mystery Rocks of Saskatchewan?

Doesnt look like nature's work. Burial mound, maybe.

http://ryanwunsch.com/mystery-rocks-saskatchewan/
It's a Roman road.

In your next thread, you should explore how the Romans ever got to Canada.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:59 AM   #242
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
It's a Roman road.

They followed the roman road.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 10:19 AM   #243
CORed
Philosopher

It looks natrual to me, an outcrop of rock that tends to fracture into rectangular blocks. Even if man-made, so what?
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 11:47 AM   #244
Axxman300
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
You are ill informed.
I am not. Pedophilia is kind of a sore spot for me, and those stories stand out.

Quote:
You need to do some research about the matter and not just get your information from Fox News.
I don't watch a lot of Fox News, but you seem to be their target audience.

Quote:
Personally I think all this is connected to the murder of JonBenet Ramsey and the abduction of Madeleine McCann in Portugal
This is delusional. Have you ever seen a map or a globe?

The Ramsey case boils down to a handful of suspects: The mother, a security guard at the father's office, and maybe the brother.

The McCann case happened at a resort in a country where the cops are sub par.

In both cases nobody knows what happened beyond a murder and a kidnapping. Everything else is speculation.

Quote:
The problems victims of pedophilia have is that they can end up dead, as well as being accused of being mentally ill, and not being listened to.
In that order?

Quote:
There is a long list of suspicious deaths connected to the Clinton family which also appear to be associated with drug smuggling.
If you knew how unpopular the Clintons were with a few branches of Federal and State law enforcement agencies then you'd know there's a small army of men and women wearing badges hoping to nail them to the wall.

Our last FBI director was one of them.

So if this was true they'd be in prison now.

Quote:
It's a bit like Mexico with police inaction. Investigative journalists and others have ended up dead or had suspicious suicides.
It's NOTHING like Mexico, a place where human trafficking of children for sex is industry.

Quote:
There are strong suspicions that American Presidents have been pedophiles
Name one.

Quote:
though to his credit I don't suspect Trump of that, for all his faults and racial problems.
And here you demonstrate a political bias that creates a YUGE blind spot.

Trump bragged about walking into the Miss Teen USA pageant dressing room specifically to see the UNDER AGED GIRLS NUDE.

Then there is the allegation that he raped a 13 year old:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...awsuits-230647

She then received death threats and dropped the plans for a lawsuit:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2855631

Please don't think of yourself as a crusader for justice.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:09 PM   #245
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Imagine yourself to be a stupid person, and then ask that again.
Sorry. My imagination does not suffice to the proposed task, and a frontal lobotomy seems contra-indicated in this circumstance.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:34 PM   #246
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Trump bragged about walking into the Miss Teen USA pageant dressing room specifically to see the UNDER AGED GIRLS NUDE.
I knew Trump was a piece of scum, but this... this is new to me.

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:37 PM   #247
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Miss Terri Rox of Saskatchewan is both a wonder of nature, and thoroughly man-made, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.
Old 25th September 2017, 01:13 PM   #248
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

I love the casualy thrown-in "the batteries mysteriously went dead!" thing. Perfectly done, technically it's not claiming anything so they can just shrug at any criticism.

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Even if man-made, so what?
I guess that depends on how interested you are in history or archaeology or whatever. It could, potentially, be an interesting thing if man-made. Not that I'm convinced it is.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 02:54 PM   #249
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

It's a Roman road.

maybe they rode with the vikings
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 03:01 PM   #250
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Normally, Bubba's passive-aggressive JAQing exercises are merely a little funny, as he mindlessly regurgitates yet another idiot conspiracist site or video and pretends that this time he's just honestly interested, not all-in credulous and willfully gullible and determinedly ignorant.

Normally.
It's starting to look like Bubba might actually take anti-vax nonsense seriously. This is indeed unfortunate, as, unlike most conspiracy theories, anti-vax crap may lead you to do something extremely stupid and dangerous, like refusing to have your children vaccinated. As far as I'm concerned people spreading this nonsense are morally, if not legally, guilty of murder.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 03:35 PM   #251
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Rowed the road, and rode with the Vikings, you mean.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 04:18 PM   #252
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
I love the casualy thrown-in "the batteries mysteriously went dead!" thing. Perfectly done, technically it's not claiming anything so they can just shrug at any criticism.

I guess that depends on how interested you are in history or archaeology or whatever. It could, potentially, be an interesting thing if man-made. Not that I'm convinced it is.
It would be interesting in historical/archological sense if man-made, but probably not evidence of unknown advanced civilizations, aliens or any such nonsense. If those rectangularish boulders were oriented vertically, I'd be a bit more inclined to think they were part of an old wall (though they could still be natural). As they are, they don't look to me like anything but a bit of exposed bedrock with an interesting (but not too unusual) fracture pattern.
Old 25th September 2017, 04:28 PM   #253
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
It's starting to look like Bubba might actually take anti-vax nonsense seriously. This is indeed unfortunate, as, unlike most conspiracy theories, anti-vax crap may lead you to do something extremely stupid and dangerous, like refusing to have your children vaccinated. As far as I'm concerned people spreading this nonsense are morally, if not legally, guilty of murder.
Thank you, the anti-vac movement makes me feel rage. Where I live has been called "the most liberal town in California", and anti-vaccers are abundant. I have had many discussions and a few arguments on the subject.

My little 10 year old GD, was born with a cyst on her brain, she has seizures, has to wear a helmet to protect her head, and her immune system is not functioning well, so she comes down with every thing.
Old 25th September 2017, 05:05 PM   #254
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Batteries going dead is never mysterious. It's when they keep working at critical times that's bizzarre.
Old 25th September 2017, 07:02 PM   #255
Axxman300
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
I knew Trump was a piece of scum, but this... this is new to me.
Here you go:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/q...changing-vgtrn

Here he boasted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7357866.html

He has referred to his daughter Ivanka as a "great piece of A**".
Old 25th September 2017, 07:08 PM   #256
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I don't think the Romans ever got that far north.

But if they ever got to Ireland, they may have tagged along with St. Brendan.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:52 PM   #257
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It's a Roman road.

They went with the Jews. See the Book of Mormon.
Old 26th September 2017, 02:20 AM   #258
3point14
Pi

There are strong suspicions that American Presidents have been pedophiles...

There are also strong suspicions that vaccines cause autism, man never landed on the moon and that the earth is flat.

I think it's wise to look at who's being strongly suspicious and, more to the point, what evidence there is for these suspicions beyond the hopelessly useless 'He denied it, therefore it must be true' that seems to be your stock-in-trade.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 03:22 AM   #259
tinribmancer

Here you go:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/q...changing-vgtrn

Here he boasted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7357866.html

He has referred to his daughter Ivanka as a "great piece of A**".
Thanks. I do remember the Ivanka thing. I also remember what he said on that talkshow (think it was a talkshow) that he would do Ivanka if it wasn't his daughter (they showed this on the news last year)...

JC Denton

tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 03:33 AM   #260
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

The Ramsey case boils down to a handful of suspects: The mother, a security guard at the father's office, and maybe the brother.

The McCann case happened at a resort in a country where the cops are sub par.

In both cases nobody knows what happened beyond a murder and a kidnapping. Everything else is speculation.

Name one.
That's just your opinion. It's patently untrue and a load of bollocks. It's you who needs help. It seems you have been damaged by your child abuse experiences.

I'll name one. President Bush. They don't like publicity about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQFCGdwGaLk

There is now more and more evidence that Edward Heath in the UK was a pedophile. There was an article about it in last Sunday's Mail on Sunday newspaper.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 03:40 AM   #261
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

... Personally I think all this is connected to the murder of JonBenet Ramsey and the abduction of Madeleine McCann in Portugal...
Can you be any less vague about what exactly you mean by "all this"? What imagined controlling hand do you believe connects the killing of an American girl in the 1990s with the disappearance of a British girl in Portugal more than a decade later?

Have you considered that you might have been watching too many movies?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 03:46 AM   #262
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

There is now more and more evidence that Edward Heath in the UK was a pedophile. There was an article about it in last Sunday's Mail on Sunday newspaper.
That is ribticklingly funny.

There's more evidence of a scary conspiracy.
Where did you find this evidence?
There's an article in the Mail.

I need a lie down and a cup of tea after that.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 03:46 AM   #263
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

They don't like publicity about it.
How strong an indicator of guilt do you think that is?

What's your rationale? That the innocent have nothing to fear, so why would they object to people trying to link them to paedophilia?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 06:00 AM   #264
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Wasn't there a thread in the past about rocks that someone claimed were actually dragon scales?

Here are some more pillars - actually quite common. And this one has a road through it!

ETA: From Northern Ireland Blue Mountain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giants-causeway-in-northern-ireland-wallpaper.jpg (148.1 KB, 14 views)
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 26th September 2017 at 06:02 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:04 AM   #265
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Which puts it on the same standing as a Richard Littlejohn column?

Lets note some key facts:
1) The inquiry made the news in recent days, not because of shocking new evidence, but because the officer in charge of the investigation admitted it was a mistake to announce the investigation on Heath's front door.

2) The Daily Mail itself reported that Operation Conifer was a "complete waste of time" in August.

3) The Daily Mail itself reported in March that the investigation was to be closed down, with no worthwhile results, costing too much money.

These are all headlines easy to find on the Mail Online.

4) The Mail itself should probably not be casting stones. Despite its outraged headlines, the Mail and Mail Online are well known for their Sidebar Of Shame, and the Private Eye has been covering their willingness to comment on the young and pretty, for years (coverage of Emma Watson and Charlotte Church spring to mind as notorious picture headlines).

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:24 AM   #266
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
Which puts it on the same standing as a Richard Littlejohn column?

Lets note some key facts:
1) The inquiry made the news in recent days, not because of shocking new evidence, but because the officer in charge of the investigation admitted it was a mistake to announce the investigation on Heath's front door.

2) The Daily Mail itself reported that Operation Conifer was a "complete waste of time" in August.

3) The Daily Mail itself reported in March that the investigation was to be closed down, with no worthwhile results, costing too much money.

These are all headlines easy to find on the Mail Online.

4) The Mail itself should probably not be casting stones. Despite its outraged headlines, the Mail and Mail Online are well known for their Sidebar Of Shame, and the Private Eye has been covering their willingness to comment on the young and pretty, for years (coverage of Emma Watson and Charlotte Church spring to mind as notorious picture headlines).
Yes, the Daily Fail wrings it's prurient hands over the sexualisation of youth while at the same time sexualising youth.

Back to topic, at least one of Ted Heaths false accusers seems to be heading for prosecution.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ophile-claims/
Old 26th September 2017, 08:25 AM   #267
Civet
Graduate Poster

That's just your opinion. It's patently untrue and a load of bollocks. It's you who needs help. It seems you have been damaged by your child abuse experiences.

I haven't seen anyone trot out Cathy O'Brien in a long time. What makes you believe her claims?
What evidence is there against Edward Heath?
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:26 AM   #268
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
That is ribticklingly funny.

There's more evidence of a scary conspiracy.
Where did you find this evidence?
There's an article in the Mail.

I need a lie down and a cup of tea after that.
It's no good being absurdly credulous about this matter. There was an article about Edward Heath in the Sunday Mail last Sunday. This is how it starts:

Quote:
Child abuse claims made against Sir Edward Heath by seven of his alleged victims are serious enough that police would have questioned him under caution if he were still alive............
There was an earlier article about the matter in a Daily Mail article on 18 February 2017:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ice-chief.html
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:31 AM   #269
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It's no good being absurdly credulous about this matter. There was an article about Edward Heath in the Sunday Mail last Sunday. This is how it starts:

There was an earlier article about the matter in a Daily Mail article on 18 February 2017:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ice-chief.html
And here is a more recent article from the Daily Fail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tic-waste.html
Old 26th September 2017, 08:34 AM   #270
3point14
Pi

you do know that even wikipedia don't believe the mail, don't you?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ce-for-website

3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:37 AM   #271
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

And here again
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-appeal.html

The Daily Fail seems to have a split personality.
Old 26th September 2017, 08:38 AM   #272
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
And here again
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-appeal.html

The Daily Fail seems to have a split personality.

No, it's just very aware of its target audience and that those to whom it is preaching hate have no trouble with, or even concept of, cognitive dissonance.

Old 26th September 2017, 08:41 AM   #273
tinribmancer

A nice article about the Crazy Mail:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

Holy ****, they're Anti-everything!

JC Denton

Old 26th September 2017, 08:47 AM   #274
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No, it's just very aware of its target audience and that those to whom it is preaching hate have no trouble with, or even concept of, cognitive dissonance.
Yeah, it's funny to observe how the cost of the wasted, pointless "investigation" gets inflated by the DM. £1m, £1.5m, £2m, which is it? At the same time, the DM claims the unfounded accusations as fact and a reason that any amount of money should be flung at it.

Not to mention that the fantasist "Nick" has his head on the chopping block and Veale will have no qualms about throwing that guy under the bus to save his own skin.

As if this were not bad enough, we are treated to the claim that "yournewswire" is some kind of reliable source. Who buys into that pit of nonsense?
Old 26th September 2017, 08:59 AM   #275
Argumemnon
World Maker

So are pedophiles in power or not?

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 09:00 AM   #276
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So are pedophiles in power or not?
Yes and no. Sometimes maybe.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:03 AM   #277
Argumemnon
World Maker

Never a straight answer!

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 09:05 AM   #278
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That is nature's work, not done by man. This is sandstone and was once an ancient riverbed. Most of the erosion here was done by the rushing water, with the most obvious being the near-perfect cylinder holes. Some erosion happened after it was no longer a riverbed and became exposed on the surface as we see now. This would be accomplished now by rain and wind.

It looks man-made with design but it isn't. Everything there is explained by natural erosion of an an ancient quartz sediment (sandstone) plateau.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:38 AM   #279
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That is nature's work, not done by man. This is sandstone and was once an ancient riverbed. Most of the erosion here was done by the rushing water, with the most obvious being the near-perfect cylinder holes. Some erosion happened after it was no longer a riverbed and became exposed on the surface as we see now. This would be accomplished now by rain and wind.

It looks man-made with design but it isn't. Everything there is explained by natural erosion of an an ancient quartz sediment (sandstone) plateau.
I suggested limestone. Someone else said granite. You say sandstone. Is there any way of checking? Is there a publicly available geological survey map of the area?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 10:41 AM   #280
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
Man, if I was a pedophile, AND I ruled the world, I would change the rules so paedophilia wasn't, you know, illegal...
Then where's the fun?

That's why the elites like to leave coded symbols everywhere - it's more fun if it's illegal and you can get a second set of jollies when the sheeple can't decode the clues hidden in plain sight.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal