ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:28 PM   #161
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 360
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Never the less I think you will agree that the Quran is not the words of God.
I find the bible and Christianity equally disturbing. The only thing I will agree to is that all religions are wrong. Period. But in looking at it as there is no god, I can agree that the Quran is not the words of god. But neither is the bible.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:32 PM   #162
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
I find the bible and Christianity equally disturbing. The only thing I will agree to is that all religions are wrong. Period. But in looking at it as there is no god, I can agree that the Quran is not the words of god. But neither is the bible.
But if there is a God, some religions are more likely to contain the seeds of truth than others. The new Testament is arguably more spiritual than the old testament, but in my view the Quran is outright lies.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:37 PM   #163
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Fair enough. But how do they discount all the technology available today that can't find it? Perhaps I am jealous that I don't feel the need to believe in anything that hard?
There's always going to be something keeping a belief alive. For Nessie-believers, it's the chance that chasms beneath the lake could, maybe, perhaps, be hiding that family of monsters, and other such vague yet remotely possible scenarios.

It's the same with Bigfooters and every other believer in such things.

You'll never take away every remote possibility for them, and as long as they have even a one in a million chance, they'll be happy.

The thing is, as you've also mentioned yourself, some people just want to believe, and they'll do whatever they have to do to maintain that belief, no matter how remote the chances may be.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:38 PM   #164
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 360
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But if there is a God, some religions are more likely to contain the seeds of truth than others. The new Testament is arguably more spiritual than the old testament, but in my view the Quran is outright lies.
I definitely find some religions more distasteful or dangerous than others. But when you get down to it, they are all harmful. They all encourage you to treat others badly if they don't believe the same. Personally, I would argue that Scientology is the most dangerous. Not only do they have a violent madman as a leader, but the endless money supply to do great damage to many. But that is my person opinion and concern. I understand that my fears and paranoia shouldn't be forced on others.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:39 PM   #165
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But if there is a God, some religions are more likely to contain the seeds of truth than others. The new Testament is arguably more spiritual than the old testament, but in my view the Quran is outright lies.
The new testament is something that was written to try and avoid all of those pesky and contradictory stories contained in the old testament, in which God was far from the lovable bloke with the white beard that we've all come to know and love.

The fact that much of Christianity, and its traditions, is poached from the Pagan's should tell you all you need to know about how likely they are to contain the seeds of truth, lol.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by Gilbert Syndrome; 2nd October 2017 at 12:43 PM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:04 PM   #166
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You left off the rest of my quote which explains I could feel them.
You imagined you felt them.

If chakras existed they would be detectable. They are not.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:35 PM   #167
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 56,052
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Please stop being so offensive about peoples dearly held belief.
I see what you did just there. Do you think it was funny or clever?
__________________
Read my fantasy novel for free!
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:41 PM   #168
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No ! I am saying that in a particular week some spirit guide looked into the future and saw the lottery numbers. That spirit then gave me five winning numbers in advance of the draw by impressing the winning numbers on my mind telepathically. Then an hour before the draw a voice said. "You won" to confirm to me that they had helped me win.
Doesn't explain how it was just the right amount. Also of course it means there is no "free will" in your universe.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:43 PM   #169
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,807
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Never the less I think you will agree that the Quran is not the words of God.
Correct. There is no such thing as god, so no book on earth contains the word of god/s. No book, including the quran, and the bible.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 01:51 PM   #170
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,156
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But if there is a God, some religions are more likely to contain the seeds of truth than others.
But you can't make that judgement unless you already know the correct answer. What if god is spiteful? What if god is petty? What if god is so totally alien to us that we can't even comprehend its actions or thoughts and therefore can't map them to our own sense of morality? What if god is completely unconcerned with humans and Earth and the only accurate religious text would be one about some race on the other side of the universe?

But instead, you're basing your opinions on what religious texts are accurate on your own flawed perceptions and gut feelings. So I don't see why I should assume that you're right that the Quran is less accurate than the new Testament.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 03:03 PM   #171
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,747
Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The fact that much of Christianity, and its traditions, is poached from the Pagan's should tell you all you need to know about how likely they are to contain the seeds of truth, lol.
Christianity, like all religions, is indeed man-made. It's just a composite of stories from pre-existing religions and beliefs. It's a known, established fact and it also bothers me that people today simply opt to ignore that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2kGJk4Jo4
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:40 PM   #172
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You imagined you felt them.

If chakras existed they would be detectable. They are not.
As I said I felt the fire flowing through them before I saw a diagram of the main chakras, and I recognized them as the location of the fire. It was particularly strong in my heart and brow, and it was a powerful sensation. I later surmised that it was energy jumping from the chakras to the physical locations they were supposed to flow through and the reason I could feel this was my etheric body was loose. It took years of searching for mediums to tell me this and years of spiritual healing to put it right. The reason I had a loose etheric body was because of extreme emotions of my youth causing damage to my psychic mechanism.
Chakras are detectable, but the only instrument sensitive enough to detect them is the human nervous system.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:45 PM   #173
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Doesn't explain how it was just the right amount. Also of course it means there is no "free will" in your universe.
The right amount was as much as I needed to buy a computer and I had enough left to pay off my credit card, but not enough to buy a printer.

In any given week a five number win would be about the right amount.
A four number win is only about fifty quid and a six number win was withheld from be because it would have been a significant karmic debt.

I don't see how that interferes with my free will.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:45 PM   #174
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
There are plenty of instruments more sensitive than the human nervous system. If chakras existed we would certainly be able to detect them.

You are fooling yourself, Scorpion. You have convinced yourself of something that simply isn't true, based on "evidence" which is entirely subjective and totally inadequate.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:48 PM   #175
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Correct. There is no such thing as god, so no book on earth contains the word of god/s. No book, including the quran, and the bible.
Try the Upanishads which are thousands of years older than the Quran.
They say that God is within us all, and that is in line with the modern occult.

I say there is good in the teachings of Jesus, but none in the lies of the Quran.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:03 AM   #176
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
But you can't make that judgement unless you already know the correct answer. What if god is spiteful? What if god is petty? What if god is so totally alien to us that we can't even comprehend its actions or thoughts and therefore can't map them to our own sense of morality? What if god is completely unconcerned with humans and Earth and the only accurate religious text would be one about some race on the other side of the universe?

But instead, you're basing your opinions on what religious texts are accurate on your own flawed perceptions and gut feelings. So I don't see why I should assume that you're right that the Quran is less accurate than the new Testament.
I do not think that a God capable of creating all we can survey through the Hubble telescope could be petty. He would have to have a vast and powerful consciousness capable of working out how to create a realm of experience like the universe including all the laws of nature including atomic structures.
down to the fines detail. Which would have to be a self sustaining system capable of producing inhabitable planets, then life and its evolution.

As for God leaving us to our own devices, it is part of occult teachings that God is recreating himself through us and we are a part of him, therefore we can know his presence, and his will in our hearts. Such a God as the human heart can detect is just and merciful.

Aliens on other planets are us. According to spiritualist and occult teachings we can and do reincarnate on other planets in the course of our spiritual evolution over many lives.

The majority of spiritual teachings make God benign, but the Quran lays on cruelty as thick as treacle, that God will inflict on unbelievers in Muhammad.
It was obvious to me, after reading the Quran that Muhammad stole the wrath of God from the bible to scare people into following him. He even says if they die fighting for him they will get a great reward in heaven.
The Quran is obvious evil lies about God, but much of what Jesus said is a great spiritual message.

There are plenty of other things wrong with the Quran, but that's another topic.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:08 AM   #177
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
There are plenty of instruments more sensitive than the human nervous system.
No, there ain't.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:27 AM   #178
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No, there ain't.
Yes there are. This is provably the case. As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

There are instruments which can detect electromagnetic radiation at frequencies which the human senses cannot detect at all, to give just one example. Radio waves can be detected by your radio but not by your nervous system; gamma rays can be detected by a Geiger counter but not by your nervous system.

We have detected all sorts of things with our instruments of whose existence we remained unaware for most of human history. During that history we also imagined lots of things which are now able to demonstrate do not exist. The "energy" supposedly flowing through "chakras" is one of them. Not only can we not detect it when we certainly should, we have complete explanations for the phenomena it was invented to explain which do not require it.

Seriously, continuing to believe in chakras despite everything we have learned about energy and biology is like continuing to believe in volcano gods despite everything we have learned about volcanism. We even know how and why people fooled themselves into believing in things which didn't actually exist.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Pixel42; 3rd October 2017 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo, grammar
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:35 AM   #179
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Psychic energy remains above the level of detection of any instrument capable of measuring atomic particles and waves. But the nervous system can respond to these subtle energies that are outside the laws of physics.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:40 AM   #180
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Psychic energy remains above the level of detection of any instrument capable of measuring atomic particles and waves. But the nervous system can respond to these subtle energies that are outside the laws of physics.
There is no such thing as psychic energy. There is absolutely no good reason to think such a thing exists. There is no objective evidence for it, there are no observable phenomena which require it for their explanation. All there is are anecdotes which some people stubbornly insist require supernatural explanations, even though there are perfectly adequate mundane explanations.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:42 AM   #181
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Yes there are. This is provably the case. As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.

There are instruments which can detect electromagnetic radiation at frequencies which the human senses cannot detect at all, to give just one example. Radio waves can be detected by your radio but not by your nervous system; gamma rays can be detected by a Geiger counter but not by your nervous system.

We have detected all sorts of things with our instruments of whose existence we remained unaware for most of human history. During that history we also imagined lots of things which are now able to demonstrate do not exist. The "energy" supposedly flowing through "chakras" is one of them. Not only can we not detect it when we certainly should, we have complete explanations for the phenomena it was invented to explain which do not require it.

Seriously, continuing to believe in chakras despite everything we have learned about energy and biology is like continuing to believe in volcano gods despite everything we have learned about volcanism. We even know how and why people fooled themselves into believing in things which didn't actually exist.
Have you ever felt love? It can be a force to be reckoned with, and can build civilisation and make men out of savages. But it cannot be measured by any instrument..
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:45 AM   #182
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Have you ever felt love? It can be a force to be reckoned with, and can build civilisation and make men out of savages. But it cannot be measured by any instrument..
Of course it can. Chemical and electrical changes in the brain can easily be monitored.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:53 AM   #183
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Of course it can. Chemical and electrical changes in the brain can easily be monitored.
Do you really believe all the human art and music and poetry and love of family can be reduced to chemical and electrical changes in the brain?

Well lets try poetry. Here is one I wrote a few years ago.

I walked among a grove of trees,
On a golden carpet of autumn leaves,
The leaves were falling, dying things,
Giving up their luscious greens,
They died to be reborn again,
With the coming of the spring.

I saw that God was hard at work,
Tending to our mother earth,
Gathering up the worn and old,
Then giving new lives to the world,
Reaping what the harvest sowed,
A crop of new enlightened souls.

The mother and father of us all,
Allows his worn out leaves to fall,
Our creator and eternal life giver,
Our redeemer and our forgiver.
I knew then mankind were brothers,
All women our sisters and mothers.

I knew the old Gods had seen their day.
The Gods to whom we used to pray,
Like Ra and Thor and Zeus and Mars,
Like Gods of the sun and of the Stars,
Gods grown old beyond their time,
Ideas that only imprisoned our minds

I saw a new God for all creation,
For ever colour, race and nation
To whom you do not need to pray
For he is within you every day,
Judging no soul to cruel damnation.
Giving us our greatest revelation,

I knew then that there is no heaven,
There is no lasting place like hell,
The kingdom of heaven lies within
Our mortal lives are just a dream,
When all our dross is burned away,
Our hearts will be purified one day.

We need not fear where we will go,
Our divine creator loves us all,
We are all a living part of him,
We are all his immortal children.
All souls will finally be redeemed,
This is the God of which I dreamed.

My feet felt the earth in strange delight.
The colours all seemed clear and bright,
The breeze embraced me and curled around,
The rustling leaves were a sweet sound.
Caressed by wind and kissed by rain,
I saw through all earthy mortal pain.

I was with God in the here and now,
There was nowhere I would rather go,
I knew I needed nothing nor ever will,
All fear was gone and time stood still,
I loved every blessed living thing,
For every creature was a divine being.

I had seen through illusion to Gods face,
I knew I would find him in any place.
Send me to heaven or send me to hell.
I would be in the same place as now,
Make the world bright, or make it dark,
I would still see God within my heart.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 01:00 AM   #184
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
If there was a tenth of the objective evidence for the existence of psychic energy as there is for the existence of love or human creativity then there would be no dispute. But there is no objective evidence for it at all. Because there is no such thing.

So whether you attribute love and creativity to chemical and electrical processes or some kind of magic is irrelevant. Love and creativity undoubtedly exist, whatever you attribute them to. Psychic energy does not, so needs no attribution.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 01:16 AM   #185
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 783
I bet you think the heart is just a pump. But even as a young child I could feel psychic energy flowing through mine. I used to imagine I opened a door in my heart and let in Gods love, and I could feel it as a force.
I know now that I was inadvertently opening my heart chakra, but at the time I just imagined it was a door that I opened with my will.
But you have your experiences, and I have mine.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 01:26 AM   #186
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 9,514
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I used to imagine ...
You still are imagining. Not that there's anything wrong with that, a good imagination is an asset. But you need to learn how to distinguish between imagination and reality.

Quote:
But you have your experiences, and I have mine.
The only difference is that I have made an effort to learn how to evaluate my experiences reliably.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 02:23 AM   #187
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But if there is a God, some religions are more likely to contain the seeds of truth than others .
Why? They all could be wrong.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 02:30 AM   #188
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The right amount was as much as I needed to buy a computer and I had enough left to pay off my credit card, but not enough to buy a printer.

In any given week a five number win would be about the right amount.
A four number win is only about fifty quid and a six number win was withheld from be because it would have been a significant karmic debt.

I don't see how that interferes with my free will.
That is untrue. A 5 number win will vary wildly depending on the jackpot and number of people entering that week. Your claim relies on the spiritworld controlling millions of people in a given week to give you a computer.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 02:52 AM   #189
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Try the Upanishads which are thousands of years older than the Quran.
They say that God is within us all, and that is in line with the modern occult.

I say there is good in the teachings of Jesus, but none in the lies of the Quran.
Should people not steal. Should people not murder?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 02:53 AM   #190
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I do not think that a God capable of creating all we can survey through the Hubble telescope could be petty. He would have to have a vast and powerful consciousness capable of working out how to create a realm of experience like the universe including all the laws of nature including atomic structures.
down to the fines detail. Which would have to be a self sustaining system capable of producing inhabitable planets, then life and its evolution.

As for God leaving us to our own devices, it is part of occult teachings that God is recreating himself through us and we are a part of him, therefore we can know his presence, and his will in our hearts. Such a God as the human heart can detect is just and merciful.

Aliens on other planets are us. According to spiritualist and occult teachings we can and do reincarnate on other planets in the course of our spiritual evolution over many lives.

The majority of spiritual teachings make God benign, but the Quran lays on cruelty as thick as treacle, that God will inflict on unbelievers in Muhammad.
It was obvious to me, after reading the Quran that Muhammad stole the wrath of God from the bible to scare people into following him. He even says if they die fighting for him they will get a great reward in heaven.
The Quran is obvious evil lies about God, but much of what Jesus said is a great spiritual message.

There are plenty of other things wrong with the Quran, but that's another topic.
Did you forget that hell exists in Christianity.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 03:59 AM   #191
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Have you ever felt love? It can be a force to be reckoned with, and can build civilisation and make men out of savages. But it cannot be measured by any instrument..
Yes it can be.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 04:00 AM   #192
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Do you really believe all the human art and music and poetry and love of family can be reduced to chemical and electrical changes in the brain?

Well lets try poetry. Here is one I wrote a few years ago.

I walked among a grove of trees,
On a golden carpet of autumn leaves,
The leaves were falling, dying things,
Giving up their luscious greens,
They died to be reborn again,
With the coming of the spring.

I saw that God was hard at work,
Tending to our mother earth,
Gathering up the worn and old,
Then giving new lives to the world,
Reaping what the harvest sowed,
A crop of new enlightened souls.

The mother and father of us all,
Allows his worn out leaves to fall,
Our creator and eternal life giver,
Our redeemer and our forgiver.
I knew then mankind were brothers,
All women our sisters and mothers.

I knew the old Gods had seen their day.
The Gods to whom we used to pray,
Like Ra and Thor and Zeus and Mars,
Like Gods of the sun and of the Stars,
Gods grown old beyond their time,
Ideas that only imprisoned our minds

I saw a new God for all creation,
For ever colour, race and nation
To whom you do not need to pray
For he is within you every day,
Judging no soul to cruel damnation.
Giving us our greatest revelation,

I knew then that there is no heaven,
There is no lasting place like hell,
The kingdom of heaven lies within
Our mortal lives are just a dream,
When all our dross is burned away,
Our hearts will be purified one day.

We need not fear where we will go,
Our divine creator loves us all,
We are all a living part of him,
We are all his immortal children.
All souls will finally be redeemed,
This is the God of which I dreamed.

My feet felt the earth in strange delight.
The colours all seemed clear and bright,
The breeze embraced me and curled around,
The rustling leaves were a sweet sound.
Caressed by wind and kissed by rain,
I saw through all earthy mortal pain.

I was with God in the here and now,
There was nowhere I would rather go,
I knew I needed nothing nor ever will,
All fear was gone and time stood still,
I loved every blessed living thing,
For every creature was a divine being.

I had seen through illusion to Gods face,
I knew I would find him in any place.
Send me to heaven or send me to hell.
I would be in the same place as now,
Make the world bright, or make it dark,
I would still see God within my heart.
I could knock up a quite a simple programme quickly to churn out such doggerel time and time again.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 04:01 AM   #193
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 78,346
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I bet you think the heart is just a pump. But even as a young child I could feel psychic energy flowing through mine. I used to imagine I opened a door in my heart and let in Gods love, and I could feel it as a force.
I know now that I was inadvertently opening my heart chakra, but at the time I just imagined it was a door that I opened with my will.
But you have your experiences, and I have mine.
When someone has a heart transplant does that transplant the chakra?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you

Last edited by Darat; 3rd October 2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Autocorrection
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 04:51 AM   #194
kali1137
Critical Thinker
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 360
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post

I say there is good in the teachings of Jesus, but none in the lies of the Quran.
And what about all the people who feel just as strongly as you do that they are special and you are wrong? How are they all wrong but you are just right? Can you really not see the problem with this?

We all have our own senses of what is right and what is wrong. Who is so special that they get to be absolutely right while everyone else is wrong? A good example of that happened in this thread already about who is the moral superior. No one really wins because no one is perfect.

What are your thoughts on "mediums" like Sylvia Browne? She was not only staggeringly wrong but she took advantage of people's grief and in several cases caused more/unnecessary additional pain and suffering. People still buy her books. Her son still lives quite well and still takes advantage of people. I would say that while she is the worst example, all the tv "mediums" do this. If they have this great, special gift - why do they all want to make money from it? Why not help on the side and then engage in a proper profession?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 05:32 AM   #195
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 12,035
I answer questions on the Quora site all the time. It is rather depressing how many people firmly believe in ghosts, spirits (evil or not) angels, demons, summoning spirits through the OuiJa board, and all manner of psychic phenomena.
Any question about paranormal phenomena will get replies from half-a-dozen folks who are seemingly quite convinced that they are “psychic”.

There’s no lack of magical thinking, and it’s rather absurd to think of these people sitting there, using the results of a hundred years of technological advance and science to discuss such things.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:31 AM   #196
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16,467
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I bet you think the heart is just a pump.
Physically? Yup, it's a pump.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But even as a young child I could feel psychic energy flowing through mine. I used to imagine I opened a door in my heart and let in Gods love, and I could feel it as a force.
Can you demonstrate that? Can you demonstrate any god exists in the first place? Nobody ever has, could you actually be the first to do so?

That will be three "no"s. You cannot, you know you cannot, and you will wheel out excuses for why you cannot like every god-botherer before you.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I know now that I was inadvertently opening my heart chakra, but at the time I just imagined it was a door that I opened with my will.
Never happened. You, nor anyone else, has a heart chakra, or any chakra. No such thing as a chakra has ever been shown to exist ever.

Disagree? The floor is yours.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But you have your experiences, and I have mine.
Yes, and I have a dragon in my garage. Do you believe me, or would you need some actual evidence?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:27 AM   #197
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Psychic energy remains above the level of detection of any instrument capable of measuring atomic particles and waves. But the nervous system can respond to these subtle energies that are outside the laws of physics.
Why do you tend to ignore things that don't fit this warped view that you have?

You were talking about the seeds of truth being held in the bible yesterday, but opted to ignore the fact that the bible has been largely changed and rewritten over the years to make it more appealing and less grim. So why do you ignore the fact that the bible is an ever-changing book of fables written for the purpose of moral guidance?

Why did you also opt to avoid discussing the fact that Christianity has poached many things from many archaic religions that went before it, even down to their festive holidays?

This is the one thing that gets me about so-called religious-types, they pick and choose the little snippets of religion that they want to believe in, and ignore all the rest of the messy stuff because it's too hard to make excuses for.

I'm not sure if it's your "Chakras" that you should be worried about.
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:27 AM   #198
SOdhner
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,156
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I do not think that a God capable of creating all we can survey through the Hubble telescope could be petty.
But you don't know. Have you ever played Minecraft? The game makes these massive and varied worlds with all sorts of cool features like waterfalls and caves and islands, things with actual beauty to them despite their blocky design. But nobody hand crafted all these vistas. It was procedurally generated based on some basic rules. Why couldn't a god just make some rules, throw the required amount of matter and energy in, and let things unfold from there? That god may not even particularly care how it turns out. Maybe they tried a bunch of universes that didn't quite sustain themselves enough so they threw them in the trash - or maybe we're going to be deemed a failure as well? You can't just assume that god took any particular care when making the universe, or that he's at all pleased with how it has turned out.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Which would have to be a self sustaining system capable of producing inhabitable planets, then life and its evolution.
It wouldn't have to. You don't know that that was even a requirement. Maybe god was just trying to play with physics and biological life arising was completely unrelated to its goals.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
it is part of occult teachings
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
According to spiritualist and occult teachings
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The majority of spiritual teachings
You seem to have missed my whole point. You don't know that those teachings are correct - it's a self referential argument. You're saying:

1. You know which teachings are correct because they match what you know about god.
2. You know about god because of those teachings.

That doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The majority of spiritual teachings make God benign,
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. The Old Testament doesn't have a benign god. There were plenty of malicious acts by Greek gods, Norse gods, etc. I can't think of a religion that doesn't have at least one god that has some petty or wrathful moments.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 07:34 AM   #199
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,343
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Do you really believe all the human art and music and poetry and love of family can be reduced to chemical and electrical changes in the brain?

Well lets try poetry. Here is one I wrote a few years ago.

I walked among a grove of trees,
On a golden carpet of autumn leaves,
The leaves were falling, dying things,
Giving up their luscious greens,
They died to be reborn again,
With the coming of the spring.

I saw that God was hard at work,
Tending to our mother earth,
Gathering up the worn and old,
Then giving new lives to the world,
Reaping what the harvest sowed,
A crop of new enlightened souls.

The mother and father of us all,
Allows his worn out leaves to fall,
Our creator and eternal life giver,
Our redeemer and our forgiver.
I knew then mankind were brothers,
All women our sisters and mothers.

I knew the old Gods had seen their day.
The Gods to whom we used to pray,
Like Ra and Thor and Zeus and Mars,
Like Gods of the sun and of the Stars,
Gods grown old beyond their time,
Ideas that only imprisoned our minds

I saw a new God for all creation,
For ever colour, race and nation
To whom you do not need to pray
For he is within you every day,
Judging no soul to cruel damnation.
Giving us our greatest revelation,

I knew then that there is no heaven,
There is no lasting place like hell,
The kingdom of heaven lies within
Our mortal lives are just a dream,
When all our dross is burned away,
Our hearts will be purified one day.

We need not fear where we will go,
Our divine creator loves us all,
We are all a living part of him,
We are all his immortal children.
All souls will finally be redeemed,
This is the God of which I dreamed.

My feet felt the earth in strange delight.
The colours all seemed clear and bright,
The breeze embraced me and curled around,
The rustling leaves were a sweet sound.
Caressed by wind and kissed by rain,
I saw through all earthy mortal pain.

I was with God in the here and now,
There was nowhere I would rather go,
I knew I needed nothing nor ever will,
All fear was gone and time stood still,
I loved every blessed living thing,
For every creature was a divine being.

I had seen through illusion to Gods face,
I knew I would find him in any place.
Send me to heaven or send me to hell.
I would be in the same place as now,
Make the world bright, or make it dark,
I would still see God within my heart.
Nice, here's one of my little rhymes:

Upon a dirty Winter morn',
the sun a fickle glow.
They awoke to find his cloven prints
etched into the snow.

The trees all bending solemnly,
their branches hanging low.
They awoke to find his embers
still burning in the snow.

Eyes that wander restlessly,
people bustle to and fro,
mothers usher their children
inside out of the snow.

Horse-drawn carriages making haste
upon this winter morn,
in the air an acrid taste,
cold cobbled streets forlorn.
Inside the brooding red brick homes
cole fires crackle warm.

Outside the putrid smog draws in,
and an usettled fear is born.
The sun a pitied and desperate glow,
slowly sinking, fat and low.
Upon this dirty winter's day,
the day the Devil walked this way.


__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:59 AM   #200
Autolite
Graduate Poster
 
Autolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,747
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I say there is good in the teachings of Jesus,
There is also "good" in Mein Kampf if we're cherry picking here...

https://www.thoughtco.com/adolf-hitl...-quotes-248192
__________________
"When they come around sweet talkin', don't listen" - Willie Stark
Autolite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.