ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Old 28th September 2017, 03:03 AM   #1
mikado
Graduate Poster

York "roman ghosts"

For some obscure reason something made me recall reading this as a kid, where a tradesman claimed to see roman ghosts marching through the cellar of the treasurers house in York,
Now obviously and disappointingly he didn't see ghosts, but does anyone have any sceptical background on this?

Mod InfoThread moved from Forum Community.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 28th September 2017 at 07:35 AM.
mikado is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Shouldn't this be in General Scepticism and the Paranormal?

So many people have told this Roman soldier ghost story so many times, including my friend's dad, who doesn't believe in ghosts, but claims he saw them, waist-high, walking through a cellar in a hospital he was working in.

Now, along with this one, I've heard several stories that all revolve around some Roman soldiers wandering waist-high through cellars and basements.

It seems to be a popular story in terms of ghostly goings-on, I think that has a lot to do with it. Without any actual evidence, it's merely a cool story, bro kind of thing.

The Romans were such an interesting bunch of lads, and they did a lot for Britain, and I think the stories left behind went a long way to influencing our folklore. You'll find a lot of Roman ghost stories in many towns and cities in the UK.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I believe people see things sometimes. I once saw a man and woman cuddling outside a chip-shop late one night, and as I got closer, I realized the man and woman were actually a bin, and the chip-shop was a late-night launderette, and I was just high as a *********** kite.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 06:46 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Where I grew up, there were stories of people seeing the ghosts of the "lost ninth legion" on the moors...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12752497

People see all kinds of things late at night in remote spots
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 01:30 PM   #4
mikado
Graduate Poster

Apparently I posted it in the wrong thread, despite the fact that I actually CHOSE to put it in the community thinking that it's far more likely to be seen and replied.

I wondered, even as a kid, just how much of the sighting was caused by the sheer romance of the romans?..
Old 28th September 2017, 01:36 PM   #5
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

The original witness (apparently): obituary from a couple of years back.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1155...rtindale_dies/
Old 28th September 2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Where I grew up, there were stories of people seeing the ghosts of the "lost ninth legion" on the moors...

Ah! That Ninth Legion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcd3a_KFbS8

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 05:27 AM   #7
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
The original witness (apparently): obituary from a couple of years back.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1155...rtindale_dies/
Certainly appears that HE felt it was real,
Very interesting...can so see why I got so hooked by it as a kid.
Old 29th September 2017, 06:01 AM   #8
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikado View Post
For some obscure reason something made me recall reading this as a kid, where a tradesman claimed to see roman ghosts marching through the cellar of the treasurers house in York,
Now obviously and disappointingly he didn't see ghosts, but does anyone have any sceptical background on this?

Mod InfoThread moved from Forum Community.
Posted By:zooterkin
I think I have memories of this being featured on “It’s A Mystery with Neil Buchanan and Sophie Aldred? No idea if there was a sceptical explanation or not.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 06:11 AM   #9
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

We used to live very close to The Fosse Way - an old Roman road - in England's west country, and stories about ghostly legionnaires wandering along that road were, er, legion.
Old 29th September 2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

The "waist-high" bit is a nice touch. The centre of York has been built on over and over again for centuries, so the ground level is considerably higher today than it was in Roman times.

Oh, and I walked past the Treasurer's House late last night. No ghosts were in evidence, waist-high or otherwise.
Old 29th September 2017, 09:31 AM   #11
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

It's easy to forget just how much legend and folklore was brought into the UK via the Romans. It's no surprise that there are so many similar ghost stories surrounding them.

In reality, there aren't any truly unique ghost stories, anyway. They all generally echo other stories, to the point where you have to basically assume that it's due to story-telling itself, which is how folklore and myth is even developed and spread.

People hear stories and then they're ingrained into their memory, and a good case in point is the "Old Hag" story. So many people claim of seeing the same thing, and it's basically down to having such a story in their brain in the first place. Sleep paralysis is a real occurrence, and I suffered from it for years, but I never saw any hags, but it's easy to see how someone with that story in their mind may see it during a period of stress between sleep and waking.

People see what they expect to see in many cases. It's almost like when you have hypochondriacs/anxiety sufferers who believe they're having a heart attack; the more they have that in their mind, the more their body and brain trick them into thinking they're having a problem.

The brain is a ********** up piece of random ****. Ghosts are nothing more than brain farts due to one too many large meals consisting of imaginative stories.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Alice Shortcake View Post
The "waist-high" bit is a nice touch. The centre of York has been built on over and over again for centuries, so the ground level is considerably higher today than it was in Roman times.

Oh, and I walked past the Treasurer's House late last night. No ghosts were in evidence, waist-high or otherwise.
I have heard the "waist-high detail" in many Roman soldier ghost stories, so I'm not sure if it can be credited solely to York.

I think the "waist-high" trope, if you will, is due to the fact that we're aware of old Roman roads being found beneath many old buildings in this country. This particular ghost story is apparently one that is rife in this country, so for me, that tells me it's mere folklore, more than an actual occurrence.

I think there's at least one or two Roman ghost stories in every town and city in the UK, and there's always a woman in black, a woman in white, a headless horseman, an old hag, etc, etc.

Ghosts are the same or very similar in every country on the map.

Old 29th September 2017, 12:24 PM   #13
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I have a very vague memory of an Arthur C Clarke book of "strange mysteries" and this being mentioned; some credulous person propounded the theory of a stone tape like a magnetic tape. I will have sent the book to the charity shop years ago, though.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 12:28 PM   #14
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Yeah, I get this story not infrequently. I just smile and think Rome is my enemy; the response that Romans seems to like.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:31 PM   #15
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I have a very vague memory of an Arthur C Clarke book of "strange mysteries" and this being mentioned; some credulous person propounded the theory of a stone tape like a magnetic tape. I will have sent the book to the charity shop years ago, though.
Are you sure you're not remembering the Nigel Kneale play?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape
Old 29th September 2017, 12:46 PM   #16
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Are you sure you're not remembering the Nigel Kneale play?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape
It doesn't ring a bell personally, but it looks like it spawned the theory of 'stone tapes'.

A bit of searching has found the book of which I was thinking: Amazon linkydink

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 02:18 PM   #17
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Yeah, I get this story not infrequently. I just smile and think Rome is my enemy; the response that Romans seems to like.

Yeah, what have the romans ever done for us?
Old 29th September 2017, 02:21 PM   #18
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
It doesn't ring a bell personally, but it looks like it spawned the theory of 'stone tapes'.

A bit of searching has found the book of which I was thinking: Amazon linkydink
Ha ha I so remember that book
Old 29th September 2017, 02:28 PM   #19
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Alice Shortcake View Post

I am so jealous, I am over your side of the planet late February and plan a two day visit to York. My family are from Sheffield, and I was raised in a household speaking dialect so strongly have that Yorkshire culture.

I am thinking Jorvik, which was closed last time we were there, the minister and the shambles. Are there any other museums/historical things that I really must do? Suggestions?
Old 29th September 2017, 02:50 PM   #20
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

You must go to the Railway museum. It smells so deliciously oily.

Will you have time to get to Sheffield or to the Peaks? If you get to Sheff you need to go to Weston Park museum and/or to the Ruskin gallery. The Winter Gardens are well worth a visit too.

Old 29th September 2017, 03:13 PM   #21
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I am so jealous, I am over your side of the planet late February and plan a two day visit to York. My family are from Sheffield, and I was raised in a household speaking dialect so strongly have that Yorkshire culture.

I am thinking Jorvik, which was closed last time we were there, the minister and the shambles. Are there any other museums/historical things that I really must do? Suggestions?
Castle Museum. Jorvik was closed for renovation (or because of the floods), but I thought had re-opened. York Dungeon. Treasurer's House of course. The city walls are pretty impressive. Clifford's Tower.

Betty's for a cup of tea. The Micklegate Run if you want a pub crawl challenge.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 29th September 2017 at 03:14 PM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 11:48 PM   #22
mikado
Graduate Poster

And..... here the big one... just how cold will it be late February?
Old 30th September 2017, 01:57 AM   #23
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Dr Who seems to get younger with every regeneration!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 02:09 AM   #24
Planigale
Master Poster

National Railway Museum - York.
http://www.nrm.org.uk
Betty's York (or Harrogate, Ilkley) not really a museum but no visit to Yorkshire complete without a visit to Betty's. https://www.bettys.co.uk/cafe-tea-ro...-tea-at-bettys
Royal Armouries Leeds
https://royalarmouries.org/home
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 02:12 AM   #25
Planigale
Master Poster

Cold. Wet. Dark.

Wooly hat. Scarf. waterproofs. Boots.
Old 30th September 2017, 02:30 AM   #26
Nessie
Philosopher

I went on a ghost walk, a guided tour around York, one evening, which included a visit to where the Roman soldiers were supposedly seen. The place is full of ghosts and that is used to attract tourists.
Old 30th September 2017, 02:40 AM   #27
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Cold. Wet. Dark.

Wooly hat. Scarf. waterproofs. Boots.
I know this is stupid but what do you mean by boots? Love the Betty's
Old 30th September 2017, 03:02 AM   #28
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

For the snow, or the floodwater.
Old 30th September 2017, 08:29 AM   #29
Planigale
Master Poster

So this is what the locals wear in winter.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...77_634x720.jpg
The stilettos work like ice picks; you dig the heal in to get traction in icy conditions. Of course we Northern girls maintain an average 10% total body alcohol level over winter so we don't suffer frost bite. If you are not born to it a good pair of walking boots will deal with the snow or mud, and you probably won't want to go bare legged. There is a fair chance York might flood over winter, rubber boots are cheap and you can buy them here if needed.
Old 30th September 2017, 10:37 AM   #30
mikado
Graduate Poster

Wish I had legs like that....
Old 30th September 2017, 04:56 PM   #31
dropzone
Master Poster

Cold. Wet. Dark.
So, just like in the summer?
Wish I had legs like that....
So do I. I mean, you might be selling yourself short!
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2017, 10:53 PM   #32
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
So, just like in the summer?
So do I. I mean, you might be selling yourself short!
Sadly not so
Old 1st October 2017, 12:41 AM   #33
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, what have the romans ever done for us?
The aqueduct?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 04:00 AM   #34
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

So this is what the locals wear in winter.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...77_634x720.jpg
The stilettos work like ice picks; you dig the heal in to get traction in icy conditions. Of course we Northern girls maintain an average 10% total body alcohol level over winter so we don't suffer frost bite. If you are not born to it a good pair of walking boots will deal with the snow or mud, and you probably won't want to go bare legged. There is a fair chance York might flood over winter, rubber boots are cheap and you can buy them here if needed.
Sorry to go off on a tangent but that photo is doing my head in a bit. The woman on the left appears to be wearing a black garment over a silver dress. I'm hoping someone can point out I'm wrong and that it's part of the dress because if if it's not the garment in question is the most arrestingly pointless wearable item I've ever seen. What is it? Half a skirt? A backwards apron? A bum cape!? This is preying on my mind more than it should.
Old 1st October 2017, 04:42 AM   #35
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I went on a ghost walk, a guided tour around York, one evening, which included a visit to where the Roman soldiers were supposedly seen. The place is full of ghosts and that is used to attract tourists.
I went on a really good one in Lincoln many years ago. They can be a good way to get some local colour in a fun and entertaining way.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 05:05 AM   #36
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

My local museum has done several walks around Malmesbury this year, I've gone on a couple which have been really interesting. The final one is a Halloween walk which I'm sure will include details of all the local ghosts. I gather they've recruited the Athelstan players to provide some colour for it.

4 pm outside the Town Hall on 28th October.
Old 1st October 2017, 12:29 PM   #37
mikado
Graduate Poster

I love ghost walks. Except talking my other half is a liabiliity, nothing he likes better than to cry out in an alarmed manner, oh my god, did you see that, some fool always bites....
Old 1st October 2017, 12:29 PM   #38
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Sorry to go off on a tangent but that photo is doing my head in a bit. The woman on the left appears to be wearing a black garment over a silver dress. I'm hoping someone can point out I'm wrong and that it's part of the dress because if if it's not the garment in question is the most arrestingly pointless wearable item I've ever seen. What is it? Half a skirt? A backwards apron? A bum cape!? This is preying on my mind more than it should.
It's probably a cardigan that she's taken off and tied around her waist.
Old 1st October 2017, 02:09 PM   #39
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
It is a lace overskirt. It is winter after all! The girl next to her has lace wristlets, these bits of lace can be the difference between life and death in a Norther winter. Honestly you'd think none of you had been on the streets of a Northern city after midnight on Saturday in mid-winter.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...69_634x764.jpg
However tough you may think the SBS or the Seals are none of them could match a Geordie lass.
Old 1st October 2017, 02:43 PM   #40
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-

You'll be fine in shorts and sandals.

Sheffield is without doubt, the dirtiest, most unfriendly **** hole of a hovel that I have ever had the misfortune to live in. My cat was stolen and my car was broken into 9 times in 6 months.
I loathe the place.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal