IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 01:19 PM   #3121
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And the ScotSec wants to connect Scotland and Norn Iron by tunnel rather than bridge.
Oh well that's much more sensib... No, I can't even manage it as sarcasm.

If you'll excuse me I'll just be banging my head against the wall...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:32 PM   #3122
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

And the ScotSec wants to connect Scotland and Norn Iron by tunnel rather than bridge.
Probably more practical.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 02:36 PM   #3123
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Long tunnels aren't that difficult though. We are being tunnelled under at the moment. A new Polyhalite mine being developed on the edge of the moors behind Whitby will be connected to Teesport by a conveyor belt in a 37km long tunnel, getting to Northern Ireland isn't much further.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 08:04 AM   #3124
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Oh well that's much more sensib... No, I can't even manage it as sarcasm.

If you'll excuse me I'll just be banging my head against the wall...
Don't hurt yourself.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Probably more practical.
In the sense of being possible, if very expensive and rather pointless, yes.
Still any disturbances of the Beaufort Dyke dumps might be interesting.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 08:07 AM   #3125
catsmate
No longer the 1

Long tunnels aren't that difficult though. We are being tunnelled under at the moment. A new Polyhalite mine being developed on the edge of the moors behind Whitby will be connected to Teesport by a conveyor belt in a 37km long tunnel, getting to Northern Ireland isn't much further.
Woodsmith has an economic justification, it's not just another BoJo vanity project.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 11:08 AM   #3126
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

More Brexit winning. The UK will have to spend £40m annually to replace the function of the European regulatory body which costs £1-4m annually.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 11:38 AM   #3127
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The UK will leave the European aviation safety regulator after the Brexit transition period, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed.

Quote:
He said UK membership of the European Aviation Safety Agency - responsible for certifying the airworthiness of planes - would end on 31 December.
He said the UK's Civil Aviation Authority would "bring expertise home", the agency's powers would revert to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) "and the expertise will need to come home to do that, but we'll do it in a gradual way".
Quote:
The trade body ADS - which represents more than 1,100 UK businesses in the aerospace, defence, security and space sectors has estimated that it would take 10 years and cost up to £40m annually to create a UK safety authority with all the expertise of EASA, against a current contribution to the European agency of £1m to £4m a year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51783580

While being an EU body the EASA has a number of none EU members and associates.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 7th March 2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 7th March 2020, 12:28 PM   #3128
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Ah yes, but you see, that agency is staffed by foreigners that restricted British interests, whereas the new agency will be staffed by people assigned by Dominic Cummings and thus will only serve the British public to the fullest. Which is why it will cost 10 times more.
Nothing but the best for the new Empire.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 12:33 PM   #3129
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

2019 The British people are prepared for No Deal Brexit. The Blitz spirit will see us through

2020 The British people absolutely lose it over 12-packs of Andrex.
Old 7th March 2020, 01:42 PM   #3130
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

2019 The British people are prepared for No Deal Brexit. The Blitz spirit will see us through.
If the Blitz spirit isn't strong enough perhaps you could ask the EU to help out by dropping a few thousand bombs on London?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 03:35 PM   #3131
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
More Brexit winning. The UK will have to spend £40m annually to replace the function of the European regulatory body which costs £1-4m annually.
Leaving ECDC may save a little...
Old 8th March 2020, 02:39 AM   #3132
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
If the Blitz spirit isn't strong enough perhaps you could ask the EU to help out by dropping a few thousand bombs on London?
Dropping rolls of toilet paper might be more appropriate, simultaneously useful and indicative of what a complete farce this is.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:53 PM   #3133
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Fair is fair, here is the first Brexit win.

For voting the way Trump wanted the British are still allowed to fly to the US whereas the rest of the EU is not. Clearly the purity of Brexit will filter out the virus.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 01:27 AM   #3134
Wudang
BOFH

Or could it be that Trump only has European resorts in Scotland and Ireland?
Old 12th March 2020, 02:57 AM   #3135
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm sure that never crossed his mind....
Old 12th March 2020, 07:04 AM   #3136
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Or could it be that Trump only has European resorts in Scotland and Ireland?
Not that Trump is likely to understand that one is part of the UK and one isn’t but is his resort in Ireland or is it in Northern Ireland?
Old 12th March 2020, 07:07 AM   #3137
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Not that Trump is likely to understand that one is part of the UK and one isn’t but is his resort in Ireland or is it in Northern Ireland?
Ireland (Doonbeg, County Clare)
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 04:01 AM   #3138
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Surely the government is going to have to extend the transition agreement, no one could blame them for this and no one could claim it is for anything but a real reason.
Old 14th March 2020, 04:33 AM   #3139
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Surely the government is going to have to extend the transition agreement, no one could blame them for this and no one could claim it is for anything but a real reason.
Rubbish. We can't delay the benefits of isolationism any longer. Build the wall. Hail Kim Don Johnson
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 04:38 AM   #3140
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No, they’ll just carry straight on over the cliff edge, and then blame the coronavirus for the whole thing.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2020, 04:53 AM   #3141
ohms
Graduate Poster

Can't be done apparently:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-says-johnson

Quote:
When Johnson’s spokesman was asked whether the status quo transition period might need to be extended as a result, he said simply: “No”, then added: “In UK law, a request for an extension is not possible”.
So, expect an about face in month or so...
Old 14th March 2020, 04:54 AM   #3142
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, they’ll just carry straight on over the cliff edge, and then blame the coronavirus for the whole thing.
Exactly, it's the best thing that could have happened to brexit.
Anything bad now is the fault of the virus.
Old 14th March 2020, 08:02 AM   #3143
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ohms View Post
Can't be done apparently:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-says-johnson

So, expect an about face in month or so...
How an informed senior spokesman can come out with that without laughing is amazing. Of course one could think they weren't being entirely forthcoming.
Old 14th March 2020, 09:31 AM   #3144
catsmate
No longer the 1

Well they do have the wonderful plan to kill sixty thousand older people...
Old 16th March 2020, 01:33 AM   #3145
Tolls
Philosopher

How an informed senior spokesman can come out with that without laughing is amazing. Of course one could think they weren't being entirely forthcoming.
Quite.
Anyone would think they didn't have an 80 seat bullet-proof majority.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2020, 11:00 AM   #3146
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The UK is screwed.
And nothing you can do about for at least four years.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2020, 12:35 PM   #3147
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Well they do have the wonderful plan to kill sixty thousand older people...
Between the potential mortality among the older generation and them being forced to step back and self isolate this could be a watershed moment.

Old 16th March 2020, 12:48 PM   #3148
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Between the potential mortality among the older generation and them being forced to step back and self isolate this could be a watershed moment.
Alas Brexit has been passed...
Old 17th March 2020, 02:49 AM   #3149
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

With all the recent fuss over the coronavirus, I suppose that Brexit has been pushed off the front pages. But now I wonder if all the apocalyptic economic predictions will come true, albeit largely thanks to the looming global recession that's beginning? Bit of an unfortunate concurrence of events it would seem.
Old 17th March 2020, 03:52 AM   #3150
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Alas Brexit has been passed...
Yes, unfortunately. But this could be the moment when influence shifts and if there really is a faeces/ventilator interface situation people might (just might mind you) start to see through the line 'things are better than they were, and if they're not it's the other party's fault, yes even if they've been out of power ten years, anyway it was the last government so it wasn't our fault even if it was the same party and most of the same people because the Telegraph tells you so'.

I also think that with so many people encouraged to home work companies will find themselves under massive pressure to continue a homeworking expansion afterwards, which could have massive implications. Yes it was a pre-existing trend, but I think this will advance it significantly.

Old 19th March 2020, 06:36 AM   #3151
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

The Guardian is reporting that Michel Barnier has tested positive. That will result in a further delay to talks, it suggests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...latest-updates

(Live link, so story may fall down the page)
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 06:38 AM   #3152
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Duplicate.

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 19th March 2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Duplicate post.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 09:31 AM   #3153
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
The Guardian is reporting that Michel Barnier has tested positive. That will result in a further delay to talks, it suggests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...latest-updates

(Live link, so story may fall down the page)
No the intellectual titan who is the UK's foreign secretary has said just today that there's no need for a delay:

"UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said a post-Brexit UK-EU trade deal can still be done by the end of the transition period in December 2020.

Speaking to the Commons' Foreign Affairs Committee, Mr Raab said there was "plenty of scope" for talks "to be done through teleconferencing and remotely".

"We don't want to extend - we want to get this done," he told MPs."
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 07:19 PM   #3154
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Dominic Raab: I've spent the day teleconferencing with Europe
Advisor: No Mr Raab that was a TV. You've been shouting at CBBC
DR: Fine, I'll cut their license fee. Then they'll agree to a trade deal!

Old 20th March 2020, 12:40 AM   #3155
Wudang
BOFH

As others have said, looking at the lists of key workers it seems there's an awful big overlap with the lists of unskilled workers we need to stop coming to the UK.
Old 20th March 2020, 01:29 AM   #3156
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The NFU are calling for British people to work in the fields during the Coronavirus crisis because, due to a combination of immigration controls and people self-isolating there is a critical shortage of labour.

They are suggesting that it would be a great job for students home from college or people laid off from other jobs.

Of course whether someone would drive for hours to do backbreaking work for minimum wage is a good question.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 01:30 AM   #3157
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Duplicate post

Last edited by The Don; 20th March 2020 at 01:38 AM.
Old 20th March 2020, 04:29 AM   #3158
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Mid View Post

I thought Boris said they’ve already got it done.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 09:20 AM   #3159
Mid
Graduate Poster

I thought Boris said they’ve already got it done.
Shockingly he may have told an untruth Although they have banned mentioning the B word but that's about it.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:53 AM   #3160
Garrison
Philosopher

So LAbour may finally have competent leadership, shame its about 2 years too late.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics