IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 23rd July 2018, 09:41 PM   #201
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Jones is trying to convince people that he is like Woodward and Bernstein.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2018/07/23...-hook-lawsuit/

Quote:
“Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein relied on allegations from ‘Deep Throat’ to link the Nixon Administration to the Watergate break-in,” his lawyers wrote in filing for a dismissal. “Such journalism, questioning official narratives, would be chilled if reporters were subject to liability if they turned out to be wrong,”
Well, Jones did pull evidence out of his ass as he didn't have a Deep Throat of his own to rely on.

Quote:
The lawsuits seek monetary and punitive damages, attorney fees and other costs. They do not say exactly how much money the families are seeking
Maybe the plaintiffs will end up owning Info Wars/Prison Planet?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2018, 01:12 PM   #202
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There is no doubt that Jones support for Trump did cost him; lots of accusations that Jones has sold out to the establishment are out there.
I think, long term,Jones might have made a mistake;he has lost his ability to switch between left and right depending on which bunch of suckers are ripe for the plucking this week. The days of last decade when he had a sizable following on the radical left are gone forever.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 05:18 AM   #203
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/25/tec...ike/index.html

No more live streaming on Youtube for a while.

Quote:
YouTube has deleted four videos posted by InfoWars founder Alex Jones, the controversial online personality famous for peddling conspiracy theories, and issued a "strike" against him.

The strike means Jones cannot livestream content for three months. Should he receive a second strike within that timeframe, YouTube will bar him from uploading new content for two weeks. YouTube deletes accounts after a third strike within that time period.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:46 PM   #204
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/25/tec...ike/index.html

No more live streaming on Youtube for a while.
As much as I despise Jones, I am not sure this is a good idea;it will give Jones a chance to pose as a "matyr for free speech" and I don't want to give him that advantage.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 02:11 PM   #205
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As much as I despise Jones, I am not sure this is a good idea;it will give Jones a chance to pose as a "matyr for free speech" and I don't want to give him that advantage.
Perhaps.

On the other hand, its possible the only people who might actually consider him a 'martyr' are the people he's already suckered in, and his "martyrdom" won't result in any new supporters.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 09:24 AM   #206
Degeneve
Muse

This guy is really shameless
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:05 AM   #207
Imadeyouthink
Scholar

Even with martyr on his shoulders the chance of him dying of something like chocking on his girlfriend's cum, falling down a stair, or any of the normal life death that comes Alex Jone's way even though he made this fatal accident is automatically a government conspiracy?
Imadeyouthink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2018, 04:44 PM   #208
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Qanon conspiracy theory (of which you have heard unless you have spent this week with in total isolation) has reached a new low for conspiracy theories:Even Alex Jones thinks it's crazy.
Or it could just be Alex does not like the competition.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th August 2018, 07:21 AM   #209
FFTR
Scholar

It is not a 1A issue. A private company can decide who can participate. Just like Walmart can decide not to sell certain type firearms without being a Constitutional issue.

Now if the Feds stopped Jones from doing his thing. That would be a different matter.
FFTR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 07:31 AM   #210
Worm
Illuminator

Facebook, iTunes and Spotify drop InfoWars

Boo hoo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45083684

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 07:31 AM   #211
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The Qanon conspiracy theory (of which you have heard unless you have spent this week with in total isolation) has reached a new low for conspiracy theories:Even Alex Jones thinks it's crazy.
Or it could just be Alex does not like the competition.....
Quick clarification on Alex Jones and InfoWars: they were initially very into QAnon and tried to capitalize on it, even creating their own Q-style source. But then Q issued a post that turned the Q believers against Jones, so he bailed.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 11:42 AM   #212
Axxman300
Philosopher

I'm not big on censorship...but...

This was not a some government sanctioned mandate. Youtube(Google),Apple, and the others are all private businesses, and just like this message board they have terms of service for their use which they can change at any time for any reason.

Youtube and Facebook have known how their content can influence its users longer than the public has known because (like the tobacco industry in the 1970's) they spent the money on research. It's just that thanks to Trump, and Tide-Pod eating, and web-searches of mass shooters these companies have grown a conscience (thanks to their legal department). They realize that at some point they can be held liable for content on their sites that gets someone killed.

Alex Jones is just the logical step in the evolution that began with May Brussel, and went to Art Bell, and so on. The difference is that Brussel and Bell were on the radio at midnight, Brussel was long before the internet, and Bell came of age at the same time as the web did. The difference is that Jones has/had a wider reach available 24/7 on the internet. His biggest crime is that he has no BS filter, and worse, he seems happy to embrace the ugliest theories only to drive ratings and ad revenue. Where Brussel was a crackpot, and Art Bell was a showman who had a BS detector (he'd shoot down 9/11 nutjobs), Jones doesn't believe the crap he slings(as per his lawyer), and doesn't care about the consequences.
Old 6th August 2018, 11:50 AM   #213
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

Boo hoo.

Needs repeating.

Apple, Facebook, YouTube remove Alex Jones content
Quote:
Facebook has removed four pages for Infowars and its founder, right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, citing violations of its hate speech and bullying policies.

The social-media giant said Monday it took down the Alex Jones Channel Page, the Alex Jones Page, the InfoWars Page and the Infowars Nightly News Page after some users complained about the content last week. Facebook had already banned Jones for 30 days because he had violated its community standards. Separately, YouTube said on Monday it had pulled Alex Jones' channel for repeatedly violating its policies....

Facebook isn't alone in pulling content from Jones and Infowars. Apple has also pulled several Infowars podcasts from iTunes, YouTube has followed suit with Infowars videos, while Spotify recently deleted of his shows from its service.
Of course Jones is crying, 'it's a conspiracy'. Teehee.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 11:54 AM   #214
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

Boo hoo.

It's tempting to congratulate them, but the fact is that Jones should have been dropped years ago. It's not as if he used to be sensible and rational--Sandy Hook was over 5 years ago, and he was off the deep end well before that.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 12:15 PM   #215
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

At least, the internet giants are setting standards they can be held accountable to.
Old 6th August 2018, 12:48 PM   #216
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Variation on "JOnes does not like the completion".
Pretty clear that whoever is behind Qanon has ambitiions of replacing Jones as the #1 right wing nutjob Conspiracy Theorist.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th August 2018, 03:43 PM   #217
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It's tempting to congratulate them, but the fact is that Jones should have been dropped years ago. It's not as if he used to be sensible and rational--Sandy Hook was over 5 years ago, and he was off the deep end well before that.
I think this is a reflection of the changing times rather than anything else. Hate speech and false news is less tolerated now than it was a few years ago.
Old 6th August 2018, 06:59 PM   #218
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of the problem is that a number of bigoted groups have become "Respectable" in the eyes of many Conservative. Lie down with the dogs, expect to get fleas.
Things are even worse than you think! The linked articles criticizing the SPLC were from the Atlantic and Politico. If they have become hotbeds of bigotry and white nationalism, who's left?

Or, you know, you could actually read the articles and find out what they say. Nah, easier just to type without actually having any thought behind it other than the usual smear.

Last edited by Brainster; 6th August 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2018, 07:09 PM   #219
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

First they came for Alex Jones and Infowars, and I said nothing because I was too busy laughing.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 07:18 AM   #220
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

I popped the Brandy,I have been saving since 2005 the first drink I have had in years.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 07:19 AM   #221
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
First they came for Alex Jones and Infowars, and I said nothing because I was too busy laughing.
Alex Who? Info What? We can only hope!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 10:17 AM   #222
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Things are even worse than you think! The linked articles criticizing the SPLC were from the Atlantic and Politico. If they have become hotbeds of bigotry and white nationalism, who's left?

Or, you know, you could actually read the articles and find out what they say. Nah, easier just to type without actually having any thought behind it other than the usual smear.
Reminds me of a joke: Two men are sitting at a bar and get to talking. The first man says to the other "You see that door there? I built that door with my own two hands. I cut the wood, painted it, and hung it up. But do they call me John the door builder? No!". The second man nods boozily.

He points out the window abruptly. "You see that garden outside? I made that garden from bare earth. A whole year I worked to make it grow, tilling the soil, watering, and tending the plants. Do they call me John the garden-planter? No, they certainly don't!" The man again agrees, more reluctantly this time.

He continues, his anger growing. You know that new schoolhouse down the road? I built it! All summer I worked 16 hour days, rain or shine. But do they call me John the school-builder? No, they bloody well don't!" The second man slowly nods, wondering what the point is.

The older man leans in and lowers his voice "but you **** one sheep..."

Doesn't matter how many good articles InfoWars publishes, they've ****** the sheep too many times with their crackpot stories. Their poor reputation is very well earned.

Why bother reading them if you are going to have to confirm through some other, more reputable source whether anything they say is true or not? Just read the better paper and skip a step.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 7th August 2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Jokes are hard.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 10:28 AM   #223
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Seconded.

Banning his material is only going to reinforce the beliefs of his followers.

Better to leave every bit of it in the open and let people either buy it or point at it and laugh.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 10:45 AM   #224
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Alex Jones isn't going to continue with his insanities if he can no longer monetize them
Old 7th August 2018, 01:46 PM   #225
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Alex Jones isn't going to continue with his insanities if he can no longer monetize them
He could considering either starting a religion or flipping and giving lectures on how to make millions making stuff up for an uneducated minority.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 01:53 PM   #226
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Doesn't matter how many good articles InfoWars publishes, they've ****** the sheep too many times with their crackpot stories. Their poor reputation is very well earned.

Why bother reading them if you are going to have to confirm through some other, more reputable source whether anything they say is true or not? Just read the better paper and skip a step.
You came in mid-conversation and appear to have missed the context. I'm certainly not defending Alex Jones; keep in mind that he accused James B and me of working for the Pentagon back when we were debunking the Loose Change movie. And I doubt if Infowars has ever published any good articles; if they have it was certainly by accident.

A page or so ago, somebody noteded that Alex had mentioned the SPLC in a tweet (several months ago), and wanted to know what that was. Horatius noted that it was the Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that monitors hate groups, which has had Jones in its sights for years. Civet noted that the SPLC receives funding from George Soros, which makes them a bugaboo to the Right. I noted that there are some legitimate criticisms of the SPLC and linked to an article in the Atlantic and another in Politico.

Dudalb then contributed this irrelevancy in reply to my post:

Quote:
A lot of the problem is that a number of bigoted groups have become "Respectable" in the eyes of many Conservative. Lie down with the dogs, expect to get fleas.
Now the articles in the Atlantic (a magazine, I might note, that was originally founded by slavery abolitionists) and Politico were not defending a number of bigoted groups because they have become "respectable" to many conservatives. Rather they were pointing out that the SPLC is risking its moral authority by using too broad a brush.

Quote:
October, the SPLC faced explosive blowback when it included British Muslim activist Maajid Nawaz on a list of “anti-Muslim extremists.” The targeting of Nawaz—a former Islamist turned anti-extremism campaigner who is considered a human rights leader by many in the mainstream—even sparked critical coverage in the Atlantic, creating the unusual spectacle of a publication founded by abolitionists going after a group founded to fight the KKK.
Old 7th August 2018, 02:04 PM   #227
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I stand by my statement: A lot of Mainstream conservatives seem to have embraced racist groups because they thought it was to their tactical political advantage to do so,and it will come around to bite them in the butt.
And denying unpleasant realities will also bite you in the butt.
You can deny and spin all you want, but a GOP president has embraced the likes of Jones, and plenty of Republicans seem willing to go along.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th August 2018, 02:06 PM   #228
carlitos
"más divertido"

Which has nothing to do with the post you were responding to. Please stop already. We have enough of this nonsense in the politics forum.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 02:55 PM   #229
Elagabalus
Philosopher

C'mon, guys! Can't we all get along and dance on Alex's grave .... together.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 04:55 PM   #230
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Jones lawyer is threating to make the Sandy Hook's parents Home Addresses Public.
This is a new low even for Alex. As for his lawyer seems to me this could get him in big big disbarment level trouble with his State Bar Association.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th August 2018, 06:41 AM   #231
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Jones lawyer is threating to make the Sandy Hook's parents Home Addresses Public.
This is a new low even for Alex. As for his lawyer seems to me this could get him in big big disbarment level trouble with his State Bar Association.
I doubt there's any risk for disbarment. Jones's lawyer is using an underhanded trick by citing a Texas law that requires personal information like adresses and dates of birth to be provided in documents filed to the court. He's no doubt banking on some or all of the parents being unwilling to provide such information because that would lead to more harrassment from Infowars fans. It's completely immoral and shows a lack of empathy, but I don't think it would be cause for disbarment.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:08 AM   #232
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I doubt there's any risk for disbarment. Jones's lawyer is using an underhanded trick by citing a Texas law that requires personal information like adresses and dates of birth to be provided in documents filed to the court. He's no doubt banking on some or all of the parents being unwilling to provide such information because that would lead to more harrassment from Infowars fans. It's completely immoral and shows a lack of empathy, but I don't think it would be cause for disbarment.
I spoke to my sister, who is a practicing attorney, and she says in California for a lawyer to make any kind of personal threat like that against his opponents would be grounds for a reprimand and suspension of licence at a minimum, with Disbarrment a real possibility. In California it would be considered a gross violation of legal ethics.
It varies from state to state.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2018, 06:56 PM   #233
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I would assume that their names and addresses are a matter of public record, thus I cannot imagine what his lawyer is doing wrong, legally. That said, given the crazy things that Jones' followers have done over the years I can hardly blame the families for being alarmed, and it's a scumbag move morally, no doubt.
Old 13th August 2018, 06:37 AM   #234
caveman1917
Philosopher

Passed by on my facebook so I thought I'd just drop this here
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 07:09 AM   #235
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Passed by on my facebook so I thought I'd just drop this here
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Well, that's....um...something.

The parts where he is in the water remind me of The Heart of Darkness.

Marlowe comes around that last bend of the river, approaching Third Station, and Kurtz is Alex Jones. It kind of works.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 02:48 PM   #236
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ale...eTe?ocid=ientp
Quote:
Mr. Jones said on his broadcast last week that he had told his staff to delete material after CNN cited Infowars content that violated Twitter’s policies, according to the motion filed on Friday.

At least some of the deleted content was considered evidence in the Sandy Hook cases, and Mr. Jones had been informed in writing in April that he was obligated by law to preserve all relevant material, according to the court filing in District Court in Travis County in Austin.
Keep digging that hole you're in a bit deeper each time you open your mouth!
Old 17th August 2018, 11:26 PM   #237
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I thought it was only the Evil Them who deleted content from social media in order to keep us from learning Da Troof?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 05:00 AM   #238
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

So, I checked out the Alex Jones page on RW, and saw that he lost most of his social networking things (Youtube, Facebook, ect...) and that he has been suspended for a week on twitter (he only has instagram left).

Is it finally happening? The fall of the biggest CT-er and Con-artist?

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:59 AM   #239
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

I found this interesting claim about Alex Jones...

Quote:
I suppose I should have mentioned my background with Alex Jones.
late 1998 just after the Sweeney Siege in Hamilton,MA(which I was involved in, as part of the First Granite State Irregulars militia group) two FBI agents showed up at my place of work, and I was told I had to sit down with them or find another job. fine, I’ll sit and tell them to go F themselves. I had work to do.

so they offer me a job. a radio show, shortwave at first then AM radio if they can find a spot. all I had to do is work for them. talk right to the edge of legal, then turn in anyone who goes over that line,and they cut me a check on top of whatever the regular job pays, which was a lot more than I was making at the time.

they argued a bit about who I would intern with to bring me into the “program”. one said Hal Turner, but they knew I wouldn’t get along with him because of the racist garbage he does. the other said “Alex in Austin,TX” but that was “probably too far for him (me) to travel”.

I broke into their argument to remind them I haven’t agreed to anything yet, they can take their job and stick it where the sun doesn’t shine, and went back to work. I never saw or heard from any of them again.
years later I realized “alex from austin,TX” was probably Alex Jones.

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=38476#disqus_thread

Which is certainly a first for me.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 05:33 AM   #240
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I found this interesting claim about Alex Jones...

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=38476#disqus_thread

Which is certainly a first for me.

This feels like the "letter from a paramedic" about 9/11 that Dylan Avery received many years ago, that just conveniently supported all the BS about 9/11 that Avery was spewing. It's just too pat of a "just so" story to really be believable.

But I have to say, it doesn't really upset me that someone is trying to spread a CT about Jones himself. Poetic Justice, that is.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories