IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags philosophy , philosophy of mind

Old 12th August 2018, 12:28 PM   #1
rlopez2
Critical Thinker

Soviet shestidesiatnik intellectuals told us what the mind-body link is all about ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=9514592638
rlopez2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 12:32 PM   #2
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

They did?

Could you post a synopsis?

How do they define "mind"?

Hans
Old 12th August 2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
They did?

Could you post a synopsis?

How do they define "mind"?

Hans
Don't bother - the review is pretentious and verbose and is little more than a vehicle for the reviewer to display a preference for quantity over quality. It's not about the book, it's about the reviewer. Sad.

Last edited by Kid Eager; 12th August 2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Superfluous plural
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 02:37 PM   #4
fagin
Philosopher

And the reviewer is none other than R.C.Lopez.
Old 12th August 2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
And the reviewer is none other than R.C.Lopez.
My gawd, what is that... a 3000 word "review"?
Pretentious and verbose.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Hans
Philosopher

Egad

Cascade of *****

Quote:
Yet, you would be discarding the crucial dialectic between the inner and outer intersubjective (respectively :"reflective" and "expressive") dialectic, -always conscious- in one way or another, enabling the immer werdende characteristic of one's own self through our semiosis maintaining an intrinsically mutual balance between both aspects. That dialectic is the core of valuation (monetary, semantic or any other kind). Es gibt keine Chomskyan "körperlose Seele" oder "'morphologisch' (in the sense of being fixed) Schemata im Gehirn" (I would admit, however, that the capacity to -functionally- establish higher order associations, on which our ability to generalize supervenes, is innate to neurons/nervous systems (I think that is why our fingers/thumb and lips are disproportionately overrepresented in our cortical homunculi and why they related in an articulate way and overlap)).
Jesus K Christ in a blender.....
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Egad

Cascade of *****

See... now that's a review.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 04:08 PM   #8
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rlopez2 View Post
Could of used some editing in that review.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 04:09 PM   #9
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Some other review run through a madlibs.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 04:11 PM   #10
Hungry81
Master Poster

Yup.... those are words.... yup
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 07:46 AM   #11
rlopez2
Critical Thinker

RE: And the reviewer is none other than R.C.Lopez.

Well, yes. that reviewer is ****** me: Ricardo Camilo Lopez, who Is not hiding from anything, anybody and apparently all you can do is robotically go about your ad hominem bs

// __ Activist and Targeted Individual Camilo Lopez interview with Ella Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDlW8DZREvo
~
RE: How do they define "mind"?

What people had when they didn’t have cell phones, computers, “smart” TV sets . . . so they would not whine about the metabolism of their brains being abused because “they had to read” 2 pages (about one of the most vexing questions ever). I was amazed when I noticed the other day they had made “making people read” a human right abuse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._rights_abuses

I mean, I chose not to give you the details about the actual truth of it (Vladimir Putin is behind all of that mind-body link business) . . .
rlopez2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I mean, I chose not to give you the details . . .
So the review is just a brief precis?

I'd like to know more about how we were able "to communicate just fine with anaerobic beings we had never seen before and which ecology we would have thought of as impossible, living under extreme physical conditions". What did we communicate to these creatures we discovered around deep-ocean volcanic vents, and what did they communicate to us?

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 13th August 2018 at 08:08 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 11:58 AM   #13
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
What did we communicate to these creatures we discovered around deep-ocean volcanic vents, and what did they communicate to us?
One oft repeated phrase from these fine deep-ocean volcanic vent residencers was a request for ice and burn salve.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 12:34 PM   #14
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Well, yes. that reviewer is ****** me: Ricardo Camilo Lopez, who Is not hiding from anything, anybody and apparently all you can do is robotically go about your ad hominem bs

That statement seems remarkably at odds with your paranoid NSA/CT claims and behavior in every thread you've started here.
Since you've "outed" yourself... maybe you could just go ahead and start using the quote function now, eh?

Old 13th August 2018, 12:56 PM   #15
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
...Since you've "outed" yourself... maybe you could just go ahead and start using the quote function now, eh?
Do you know who I am? Seriously...

... ****** me: Ricardo Camilo Lopez...
At least he's not Ronnie ******* Pickering.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

NSFW - start about a minute in.
Old 13th August 2018, 02:08 PM   #16
Kid Eager
Philosopher

// __ Activist and Targeted Individual Camilo Lopez interview with Ella Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDlW8DZREvo
~
RE: How do they define "mind"?

What people had when they didn’t have cell phones, computers, “smart” TV sets . . . so they would not whine about the metabolism of their brains being abused because “they had to read” 2 pages (about one of the most vexing questions ever). I was amazed when I noticed the other day they had made “making people read” a human right abuse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._rights_abuses

I mean, I chose not to give you the details about the actual truth of it (Vladimir Putin is behind all of that mind-body link business) . . .
You really need to read up on what ad-hom is. It's not a "get out of jail free" card that you play to avoid defending a mistruth or accurate critique of the quality or content of an argument.
Old 13th August 2018, 02:52 PM   #17
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
You really need to read up on what ad-hom is. It's not a "get out of jail free" card that you play to avoid defending a mistruth or accurate critique of the quality or content of an argument.
Yeah, I get tired of people whipping out "ad-hom."

It's an ad hominem if I say your argument is ridiculous because you're Irish.

It's not an ad hominem if I say that your argument is ridiculous because, your argument is ridiculous.
Old 13th August 2018, 02:53 PM   #18
rlopez2
Critical Thinker

RE: What did we communicate to these creatures we discovered around deep-ocean volcanic vents, and what did they communicate to us?

Edited by jsfisher:  SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

What I can't quite understand (which is quite telling!) is that even those creatures reduced their communication to what seems to be the attention span acceptable for the metabolism of our brains even on their first ever communicative interchange with the fifth monkeys: just a two word sentence (less than 3!). Now, that was nice of them! Wasn't it? But we still don’t seem to be able to get it and the most hopeless part of it is that, great Lord!, our gadgets don’t seem to be that helpful either!

Edited by jsfisher:  SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 0 of the Membership Agreement.

Last edited by jsfisher; 13th August 2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 13th August 2018, 02:56 PM   #19
rlopez2
Critical Thinker

RE: ... I say that your argument is ridiculous because, your argument is ridiculous

ridiculously ridiculous ridiculousness, indeed!
Old 13th August 2018, 03:21 PM   #20
fagin
Philosopher

RE: What did we communicate to these creatures we discovered around deep-ocean volcanic vents, and what did they communicate to us?

Edited by jsfisher:  SNIP. Moderated content redacted.

What I can't quite understand (which is quite telling!) is that even those creatures reduced their communication to what seems to be the attention span acceptable for the metabolism of our brains even on their first ever communicative interchange with the fifth monkeys: just a two word sentence (less than 3!). Now, that was nice of them! Wasn't it? But we still don’t seem to be able to get it and the most hopeless part of it is that, great Lord!, our gadgets don’t seem to be that helpful either!

Edited by jsfisher:  SNIP. Moderated content redacted.
if your posts weren't such convoluted word salad I might even suspect you were telling a member to **** off, which would be rather rude and against the rules.

But you wouldn't do that, would you, being a sophisticated book reviewer type?

Last edited by jsfisher; 13th August 2018 at 06:54 PM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 03:23 PM   #21
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Yeah, I get tired of people whipping out "ad-hom."

It's an ad hominem if I say your argument is ridiculous because you're Irish.

It's not an ad hominem if I say that your argument is ridiculous because, your argument is ridiculous.
RE: ... I say that your argument is ridiculous because, your argument is ridiculous

ridiculously ridiculous ridiculousness, indeed!
So you agree that your ad hom ploy is ridiculous...
Old 13th August 2018, 04:21 PM   #22
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, dude, use the Quote button. It is your friend. Unless, of course, its function is entirely beyond your scope of ability.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 05:36 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Buttons are a NWO USG conspiracy!
Old 13th August 2018, 05:41 PM   #24
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Buttons are a NWO USG conspiracy!
They hold up the Black Helicopter FEMA Death Camp pants!
Old 13th August 2018, 08:00 PM   #25
rlopez2
Critical Thinker

RE: Edited by jsfisher: SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

RE: Edited by jsfisher: SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 0 of the Membership Agreement.
Old 13th August 2018, 09:15 PM   #26
Kid Eager
Philosopher

RE: Edited by jsfisher: SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

RE: Edited by jsfisher: SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 0 of the Membership Agreement.
Quoted
Old 13th August 2018, 10:41 PM   #27
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Wait, it just means 'sixties'?

Explains a lot I guess...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (45.4 KB, 5 views)
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 11:08 PM   #28
fagin
Philosopher

He's been staring at too many goats.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:38 PM   #29
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
He's been staring at too many goats.
No, the goats are staring at him. Goatstalking...
Old 15th August 2018, 02:40 PM   #30
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

No, the goats are staring at him. Goatstalking...
But which is the more capricious?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 02:49 PM   #31
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Edited by jsfisher:  SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

Edited by jsfisher:  SNIP. Edited for compliance with Rule 0 of the Membership Agreement.
So it seems that you can neither explain yourself nor even fail to do so civilly. Most enlightening.
Old 15th August 2018, 03:57 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The crazy just does not stop with this one.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 04:29 PM   #33
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Looks like he's been on a two day hiatus.
Or the NWO got him.

Old 16th August 2018, 02:07 PM   #34
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Even if you have some good ideas in there, I missed them because I was trying to keep track of all the dependent clauses, bloody appositives, and parenthetical labyrinths. I'm verbose myself to a degree, but seriously, damn.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 05:05 AM   #35
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

I take it that rlopez2 is our latest CT member?

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Why do you wanna put Jesus in a blender?

Also, where's Bubba? Haven't seen him in months...

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 10:30 AM   #36
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
I take it that rlopez2 is our latest CT member?

Why do you wanna put Jesus in a blender?
Smoothies, for the health concious transubstantiationalist
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy