IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jonathan Chait , Putin conspiracies , Russia conspiracies , Trump conspiracies , vladimir putin

Old 12th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #41
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

They love him in England.

N.B. Donald J Trump - these people are not supporters: https://www.news.com.au/world/europe...3dfcb2e181e822
Old 12th July 2018, 03:51 PM   #42
Hans
Philosopher

Let's see if he gives the Russians a choice, take the Baltic state of your choice or a nice slice outta Finland!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 09:05 PM   #43
Venom
Philosopher

Trump's relationship with Russia is best summarized by this one cartoon where he and Putin bump fists in apparent solidarity, but at the same time Putin pats a "Kick Me" sign on Trump's back.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 09:12 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Trump's relationship with Russia is best summarized by this one cartoon where he and Putin bump fists in apparent solidarity, but at the same time Putin pats a "Kick Me" sign on Trump's back.
That doesn't sound any different than Obama's relationship with Putin.
Old 12th July 2018, 09:17 PM   #45
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That doesn't sound any different than Obama's relationship with Putin.

Good one.

That is true...

Though given the failures of previous administrations and the special circumstances of the 2016 election, Trump is a tad quiet about Russia or Putin.

Last edited by Venom; 12th July 2018 at 09:19 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 03:56 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Was Angela Lansbury his handler?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2018, 06:50 PM   #47
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

He's going to get into Putin's office on Monday, whip off his Mission:Impossible mask with a flourish, and reveal that he's actually Kevin Costner.

Putin: "Excellent vork, Dmitri!!"
Old 13th July 2018, 07:19 PM   #48
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Was Angela Lansbury his handler?
What if his handler looked like Walter McGinn?
Old 14th July 2018, 08:07 AM   #49
Allen773
Graduate Poster

I'll say this:

This one has more evidence than most/all of the 9/11 conspiracy theories combined.

I will speak no more.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 09:22 AM   #50
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
This is an interesting article by Jonathan Chait in New York magazine about the upcoming Trump-Putin summit.

Will Trump Be Meeting With His Counterpart — Or His Handler?

Key points:
  • After visiting Russia in 1987, Trump's behavior changed, including first flirting with the idea of running for president, and spending $100,000 of his own money to take out ads ripping our NATO and other military allies for freeloading on our defense dime.
  • He has borrowed zillions from Russians and sold them a bunch of property. His financial connections to Russia are way too many to list here.
  • We know that Russia has an active intelligence program - including using Kompromat - to recruit assets in foreign countries.
  • Much of the infamous Steele Dossier has been more or less confirmed.
  • Russia exerted considerable effort backing Trump's election campaign for President.
  • Trump has been almost comical in his open support for Russia since the election - changing the Republican party platform on arming Ukraine, saying nice things about Putin while bashing our closest allies, etc. etc. etc.

As they say, read the whole thing. Any thoughts?
And: Why the insistence, counter to protocol, to meet entirely in private in the upcoming meeting? Secrets of the confessional? How are the Administration and Republicans in Congress not insisting on punitive measures in light of the evidence, including the standard snub of cancelling a meeting? Regardless of collusion, simply on the basis of the fact that cyber security and the workings of elections, the core of democracy, have been willfully or ineptly ignored in the face of abundant evidence of their vulnerability to attack and ongoing penetration, the man has violated his oath of office. As has every Republican in federal office who has not spoken up. Strangely, after the report, they now seek to impeach Rosenstein.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 14th July 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 04:40 PM   #51
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I find it funny that here on the Conspiracy Theory board that I debate/argue with people about imaginary CT's while this multi-layered conspiracy is unfolding in broad daylight, and nobody seems to care.
Many CTers seem to be stongly against even the notion that Trump could have colluded with Russia. Even though this idea has all the ingredients CTers usually love. Same with how are often against the idea of man-made global warming.

Which fuels my theory that CTers are, most of all, just against "what everyone else thinks". Someone once pointed out that if vaccines were to be banned tomorrow, you'd see a ton of anti-vaxxers magically switch sides and become staunch vaccination supporters.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 06:08 PM   #52
applecorped
Banned

Have we passed Peak Trump yet?
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2018, 07:00 PM   #53
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Nope, not even close.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:13 PM   #54
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Many CTers seem to be stongly against even the notion that Trump could have colluded with Russia.
That's because they all voted for him.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:37 PM   #55
llwyd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Don't be ridiculous! If Trump was a sleeper agent for Russia he would now be doing all sorts of things to fulfill that role. Like cozying up to Putin, alienating and angering our allies, undermining the USA's influence and prestige throughout the globe, embarking on trade wars to weaken the economy of the USA and our trade partners, undercutting democratic governments in favor of strongman dictators, turning Americans against one another by sowing hatred of fellow citizens, fanning fears and unease in the American population, and attempting to discredit the key democratic foundations of our own society, including the FBI, the State Department, the courts,and the press.

And what would be the point? If Trump were to even begin such treachery the people of the US and the Congress, including those in his own Party, would rise up and kick him out of office within a week. Come on, we are talking about obvious treason! We are not some 3rd world country where a greedy and corrupt wealthy strongman could take power and blatantly seek personal gain at the cost of the welfare of the population, the future of the country, and the ideals that make us a society!
One of the best ever posts on this site, brilliant!
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 02:21 PM   #56
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I dread the day Mueller's investigation uncovers something that forces congress to impeach him. Judging by how nuts he and his followers were when he appeared to be losing the election, I fear what's going to happen when/if he is thrown out of office.

Remember there was violence and even shooting on and before election night, and wannabe revolutionary groups of thugs who seemed to pretty much ready to try to start a civil war.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 17th July 2018 at 02:22 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 02:35 PM   #57
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Remember there was violence and even shooting on and before election night, and wannabe revolutionary groups of thugs who seemed to pretty much ready to try to start a civil war.
Actually I don't remember that. There are violence and shootings every night, of course, but could you please be more specific?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 03:49 PM   #58
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Actually I don't remember that. There are violence and shootings every night, of course, but could you please be more specific?
I recall there being a shooting at a people standing in line to vote in a Democrat-heavy area. Not sure if I can find the source for that. Maybe I was thinking of this, which apparently didn't really target the polling station.

I recently read a story about a shooting at an anti-trump rally, but can't find the link now :/ .
Old 17th July 2018, 05:39 PM   #59
carlitos
"más divertido"

Some of the protests at the rallies got crazy — they cancelled a big one at UIC pavilion in CHICAGO for instance — but I don’t recall gangs of revolutionary thugs or shootings on election night.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 01:40 AM   #60
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is America really facing the nightmare scenario

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/w...-1278891587866

Could Putin really have some dirt on Trump, sufficient to to effectively make Trump his bitch!

NOTE: For those with short attention spans, it is well worth watching the whole thing.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 18th July 2018 at 01:45 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 02:19 AM   #61
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Given the time Trump had had association with rich Russians, it is almost certain that he has done things that, when brought to light, would destroy his tiny empire: Russian Oligarchs wouldn't even start using him to wash money if they didn't have some assurance of leverage over Trump. Then, the more money he funnels past regulators, the deeper he gets into the complicity with all kinds of shady dealings - there is such a thing as RICO, after all.
Old 18th July 2018, 08:17 AM   #62
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Actually, I suspect it's not blackmail in the traditional sense. Trump is shameless and brazen enough that I don't think even the alleged pee tape would be a problem for him: he's just call it fake news and go on.

That being said, I think it's more of a financial thing. We know he sucks as a businessman; most of his ventures are failures. There's a lot of financial shenanigans that seem to involve Russia.

My suspicion is that he turned to Russia initially to try and make money and prop up his failing businesses, and that led gradually into money laundering and similar things that provided him funds in spite of his poor decisions.

So I suspect it's a financial hold: if it comes out, the business stops, and he starts losing his money. While Trump obviously doesn't like criticism, criticism also seems to be ineffective at changing his behavior (i.e.-recent Summit with Putin). I don't think Trump's ego would survive being seen as poor.

Last edited by Hellbound; 18th July 2018 at 08:18 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:22 AM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I like that rickroll with a picture of Trump saying "THanos told me he did not do it.I believe him"m.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 12:07 PM   #64
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

NOTE: For those with short attention spans, it is well worth watching the whole thing.

Rachel Maddow pushing a conspiracy theory in her signature delivery style? Sign me up.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:10 PM   #65
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
A
That being said, I think it's more of a financial thing.
But you can prove that's wrong by checking out DJT's tax returns.

Simple.

Oh wait....

(Why isn't that a major part of the CT on this one?)
Old 18th July 2018, 12:17 PM   #66
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Is America really facing the nightmare scenario

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/w...-1278891587866

Could Putin really have some dirt on Trump, sufficient to to effectively make Trump his bitch!

I despise Trump, but I would rather hear it from somebody not quite as biased as Rachel Maddow is.
Problem with Maddow is she is a ideologically driven as anybody on Fox News. She is a lot more sophisticated about it, but still, I consider her a heavily biased source.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th July 2018, 01:04 PM   #67
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I despise Trump, but I would rather hear it from somebody not quite as biased as Rachel Maddow is.
Problem with Maddow is she is a ideologically driven as anybody on Fox News. She is a lot more sophisticated about it, but still, I consider her a heavily biased source.
I am aware of her bias. I am also aware that she was delivering EXACTLY what is in that indictment, quoted word for word. I know this because I have read the entire thing. You can read all 29 pages of the indictment here.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/13/175688...ment-full-text

or download it from here...

https://www.justice.gov/file/1080281/download

In these circumstances, I doesn't matter what the presenter's bias is, the wording of the indictment doesn't change and is there for all to see. The degree of detail is astonishing.

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 01:41 PM   #68
Belgian thought
Master Poster

I am aware of her bias. I am also aware that she was delivering EXACTLY what is in that indictment, quoted word for word. I know this because I have read the entire thing. You can read all 29 pages of the indictment here.

In these circumstances, I doesn't matter what the presenter's bias is, the wording of the indictment doesn't change and is there for all to see. The degree of detail is astonishing.
Thanks for that - as you say the level of detail is astonishing.

Last edited by Belgian thought; 18th July 2018 at 01:56 PM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 07:34 PM   #69
carlitos
"más divertido"

It is indeed. I can't believe that they released so much detail. Usually, I would guess that they keep more stuff private, so as not to potentially reveal sources and methods.
Old 18th July 2018, 07:56 PM   #70
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

This is an interesting article by Jonathan Chait in New York magazine about the upcoming Trump-Putin summit.

Will Trump Be Meeting With His Counterpart — Or His Handler?

Key points:
  • After visiting Russia in 1987, Trump's behavior changed, including first flirting with the idea of running for president, and spending $100,000 of his own money to take out ads ripping our NATO and other military allies for freeloading on our defense dime.
  • He has borrowed zillions from Russians and sold them a bunch of property. His financial connections to Russia are way too many to list here.
  • We know that Russia has an active intelligence program - including using Kompromat - to recruit assets in foreign countries.
  • Much of the infamous Steele Dossier has been more or less confirmed.
  • Russia exerted considerable effort backing Trump's election campaign for President.
  • Trump has been almost comical in his open support for Russia since the election - changing the Republican party platform on arming Ukraine, saying nice things about Putin while bashing our closest allies, etc. etc. etc.

As they say, read the whole thing. Any thoughts?
The foundation of Trump's phase II business model has been washing club Putin's looted money through real estate he can no longer legitimately sell at market for a profit. I believe the article is close to the truth.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 08:16 PM   #71
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Practically every talking head in the known universe is as biased as hellfire. I find the fact that recent news reports so closely resemble investigative conclusions she drew months and years ago somewhat mitigating.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 18th July 2018 at 08:18 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:34 PM   #72
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Practically every talking head in the known universe is as biased as hellfire. I find the fact that recent news reports so closely resemble investigative conclusions she drew months and years ago somewhat mitigating.
Likewise!

RM is not 100% my cup of tea when it comes to political leanings. I'm predominantly centrist while she leans a bit too far to the left for my liking, but I have been watching TRMS for a couple of years now, and I have been able to tick off quite a few of her predictions that have turned out to be on the money, particularly in the Russian hacking scandal. For example, back in March 2017, she had this to say

"What’s getting to be, I think, particularly unsettling, is that simultaneously, we are … number one, nailing down more direct connections between the Trump campaign and the Russian government at the time the Russian government was influencing our election. Number two, at the same time, we are also starting to see what may be signs of continuing influence in our country. Not just during the campaign but during the administration. Basically, signs of what could be a continuing operation."

This looks to be a pretty accurate statement to me.

Old 19th July 2018, 12:27 AM   #73
Venom
Philosopher

Now Trump seems to be considering turning over a former U.S. Ambassador, Michael McFaul, to Moscow for questioning, likely as part of some deal they had in private.

He could be charged with inciting political unrest during his past visits to Moscow, possibly flavored with some sexual misconduct allegations.
Old 19th July 2018, 12:48 AM   #74
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Nothing says "tough on Russia" like selling out your own citizens.
Old 19th July 2018, 01:16 AM   #75
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Now Trump seems to be considering turning over a former U.S. Ambassador, Michael McFaul, to Moscow for questioning, likely as part of some deal they had in private.

He could be charged with inciting political unrest during his past visits to Moscow, possibly flavored with some sexual misconduct allegations.
Obviously, Trump/Putin is attempting to threaten the US political class into backing off further investigations into their "special relationship".
Old 19th July 2018, 10:47 AM   #76
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Someone will no doubt know the answer to this question: where was the football when Trump met Putin?

Not that football, the one with the nuke codes?

The CT could easily work that Trump - Putin II would give Putin the ability to stop Trump from accessing them while he destroys America.

(Ensuring his nukes don't blow up any Trump hotels, of course.)
Old 19th July 2018, 02:43 PM   #77
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Have y'all noticed how most of the vociferous pro-Trumpers on this forum have fallen very silent lately?

Trump is still calling the Mueller investigation a "witch hunt", still says that Russia had nothing to do with hacking the DNC, and didn't interfere with the 2016 election. Anyone who believes any of this now has to be a complete idiot with their head firmly buried in the sand.

Even the most ardent of Trump supporters must surely now understand their mistake in believing that he is, or ever was, qualified to be President of the most powerful democracy on the planet.

Old 19th July 2018, 02:45 PM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Have y'all noticed how most of the vociferous pro-Trumpers on this forum have fallen very silent lately?
One of them got banned. The other is still going strong, as far as I can tell.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 02:48 PM   #79
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Oh, I know that, but I always take bias into account in evaluating evidence...particular if the bias is in a direction I agree with.
One of my college profs told us. "It easy to detect bias and distortion of evidence in people whose politics or beliefs you disagree with;what is a lot harder,,,and more important..is the ability to detect bias and slanting of evidence and facts in people who you agree with"

The accusation being made is ,IMHO, the gravest one you can make agains a sitting president;Asd much as I despise Trump and his supporters, I would need a smoking gun before giving credence to this theory.
Right now I am going with "Putin has learned what buttons to push with Trump and Trump has a bias toward authoritarian leaders " theory rather then the full blown Manchurian Candidate theory.
What realy worries me is the lack of pushback from his own Party on this since it's seems a betrayal of basic GOP foreign policy belfies for at least two decades.
Max boot put is beautifully in a column:Many in the GOP are willing to accept basically embracing Putin in exchange for Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court .but that will turn out to be a very bad bargain.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 19th July 2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 20th July 2018, 02:54 AM   #80
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

A currently serving US diplomat is not happy that the White House has not rejected out of hand, Putin request to turn over former US Ambassador, Michael McFaul.

“It’s beyond disgraceful. It’s fundamentally ignorant with regard to how we conduct diplomacy or what that means. It really puts in jeopardy the professional independence of diplomats anywhere in the world, if the consequence of their actions is going to be potentially being turned over to a foreign government,”

“The president has his interests at the top of his mind, as opposed to the government’s. That’s very clear over the past week and a half, between ******** on our NATO allies and kissing Putin’s ass.”

Warning: Language (I even had to make a tinyurl to link this because the forum's censor asterisked part of the url; go figure)

https://tinyurl.com/y95zjojl

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories