IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th July 2018, 02:36 PM   #1
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

The Endless Font of Conspiracies

Today I learned the following from a new hire at my work:
  1. 9/11 was faked. In particular, there was no plane that hit the Pentagon and the towers were clearly controlled demolitions.
  2. You don't actually need to have a drivers license to drive, or any kind of license to do anything.
  3. You can buy things using your social security number, because the government (which is a corporation) keeps money in a special secret account that should be yours by right.
  4. Amazon accepts Secret Government SSN Account as payment, though it may get reversed afterwards.
  5. Nobody has ever gone to the moon.
  6. The Earth IS round, probably, although the flat earthers do make some really good points.
  7. We have advanced cloning technology, and celebrities have used it. Magic Johnson, George W. Bush, Dave Chappelle, etc.
  8. Our government is in control of the whole world.
  9. Despite this, most of our taxes go to the Queen of England.
  10. That shooting in Vegas? Yeah that's some sort of government conspiracy.
  11. Enemy of the State with Will Smith was, essentially, a documentary.
  12. ISIS is entirely run by the CIA.
  13. MKUltra is responsible for any number of odd behavior by any number of people in some vague way.

Who knows what knowledge tomorrow will bring?
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 02:51 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Quit your job now.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 02:54 PM   #3
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Quit your job now.
It's okay, I'm training him for one more day and then we'll be on different floors. And he's a good enough guy, and doesn't mind when I just smile and tell him I don't buy into any of those theories.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Venom
Philosopher

Make up conspiracy theories about your workplace, see if he buys the ******** when it's front and center in his life.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 03:25 PM   #5
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Make up conspiracy theories about your workplace, see if he buys the ******** when it's front and center in his life.
Oh that's fascinating. Very tempting. Not saying I'll do it, but if I do my guess is that he won't bite for just regular rumors. He seems to have a certain skeptical filter, it's just that it's got some really really big holes. So I think I would need to come at him with a certain volume of information, links to sites that back me up and everything.
Old 26th July 2018, 03:30 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Oh that's fascinating. Very tempting. Not saying I'll do it, but if I do my guess is that he won't bite for just regular rumors. He seems to have a certain skeptical filter, it's just that it's got some really really big holes. So I think I would need to come at him with a certain volume of information, links to sites that back me up and everything.
Or just leave it alone. If you're OK with your employer staking your paycheck on the judgement of guys like this, then probably you should let it ride.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:17 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

1. 9/11 was faked. In particular, there was no plane that hit the Pentagon and the towers were clearly controlled demolitions.
  2. You don't actually need to have a drivers license to drive, or any kind of license to do anything.
  3. You can buy things using your social security number, because the government (which is a corporation) keeps money in a special secret account that should be yours by right.
  4. Amazon accepts Secret Government SSN Account as payment, though it may get reversed afterwards.
  6. The Earth IS round, probably, although the flat earthers do make some really good points.
  7. We have advanced cloning technology, and celebrities have used it. Magic Johnson, George W. Bush, Dave Chappelle, etc.
  13. MKUltra is responsible for any number of odd behavior by any number of people in some vague way.

As the psychiatrist says in Fawlty Towers

"There's enough material there for an entire conference"

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 09:36 PM   #8
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oh that's fascinating. Very tempting. Not saying I'll do it, but if I do my guess is that he won't bite for just regular rumors.
Just quietly drop the fact that the entire board of directors are Freemasons and that they have an annual conference at Bohemian Grove.
Old 26th July 2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Meadmaker

All in one day?

Did you do any work?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 01:36 AM   #10
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I suppose that when somebody's known to exhibit one of the symptoms of a serious disease, it's not uncommon for them to present with all of them.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 07:47 AM   #11
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Or just leave it alone.
Which is what I'm actually going to do.

If you're OK with your employer staking your paycheck on the judgement of guys like this,
1. My paycheck will be fine.
2. Maybe he'll be the best inbound sales guy ever! I mean, as long as he doesn't offer to let them pay with their secret government SSN account.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
All in one day?
Almost. The comment about Enemy of the State was actually the day before. It just kinda all came out in a flood.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:16 PM   #12
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Do you have any "missing floors" in your building, like no floor 13, or an extra mechanical floor above the "top floor" that the elevator doesn't go to? If so, use that as the basis for your claim. We had a hidden 6th floor in the physics building at my university, and I always told people that this was where the Secret Government Labs were hidden. I just noticed this week that we have just such an extra 25th floor in my current building, so I may revive that one...especially since it's a government building! Bwahahaha!
Old 27th July 2018, 01:45 PM   #13
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Do you have any "missing floors" in your building, like no floor 13, or an extra mechanical floor above the "top floor" that the elevator doesn't go to? If so, use that as the basis for your claim. We had a hidden 6th floor in the physics building at my university, and I always told people that this was where the Secret Government Labs were hidden. I just noticed this week that we have just such an extra 25th floor in my current building, so I may revive that one...especially since it's a government building! Bwahahaha!
Oh that's great. No, the closest I could do is use the 6th floor because relatively few people have access to it and so I could pretend something was up there without it being easy to disprove.
Old 28th July 2018, 03:02 AM   #14
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Oh that's great. No, the closest I could do is use the 6th floor because relatively few people have access to it and so I could pretend something was up there without it being easy to disprove.
You probably don't have to worry about the ease of disproving anything.
Old 28th July 2018, 07:36 PM   #15
Venom
Philosopher

He believes in the MK-ULTRA stuff

Just freeze up one day at work like Shaq.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 07:59 AM   #16
bknight
Master Poster

It appears that he is living on the net, and that he watched/believed too many episodes of the X-Files.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 06:11 PM   #17
Elagabalus
Philosopher

What's he think about Helvetica or Times New Roman?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2018, 09:54 AM   #18
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Conspiracies have their own font now?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2018, 12:04 PM   #19
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Comic Sans.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2018, 07:05 PM   #20
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Albertus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed-learn.jpg (54.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by LSSBB; 31st July 2018 at 07:09 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 01:11 AM   #21
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

If so, it would have to be a script font. The thread title specifies "endless".

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 04:04 AM   #22
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If so, it would have to be a script font. The thread title specifies "endless".

Dave
We can go fixed way or have an impact on things, alternative is being lucid; maybe not.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 09:33 AM   #23
Nosi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
You, sir, are strictly EVIL!

Hiding from the
Nosi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories