ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:46 AM   #81
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Rlopez2, what is it you would like to do that you can't because the police state is keeping you from it? Having traveled extensively in Africa, to include being in Uganda for their last presidential election, I know from police states. What is it about the US that makes you think it's a police state?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 04:59 AM   #82
rlopez2
Thinker

RE: Yes, look around you. It's hard enough to make sense of incoherent rambling without trying to parse out what is a response to what.
RE: It is exactly the same thing as using the quote button, but far less confusing to other readers.
RE: Do you have a problem in actually finding the quote button?

I like to understand people (contrary to what you may think I am not just an ******* messing with you) and you sound like I am abusing you somehow which is not my intention even though to you it may be effectively what I am doing.

Edited by kmortis:  Edited to let the autocensor do its work

The way I understand you is: you visually follow the relationship between the conversational back and forths people have for which you use that javascript-based "quote" function, right?

As I said I don't like (what I consider to be) silly protagonism and that quote thing to me is a platform for exactly that. I always talk in topical ways, but our impedance while trying to understand each other may be because I tend to (quite naturally) keep mental maps of what I mind. I never (very, very rarely to the point that if feels a bit strange) print out code. My professional programming colleagues consider me to be a freak. At times a bug has bitten my butt really hard and what I do is printing the page with the piece of code and read it upside down. My brother (a composer himself) can hear a relatively large musical piece just once and effortlessly transcribe all instruments. My mom is like that, too. I think people call it Asperger something or whatever.

I have read (Luria wrote and interesting book about it "the mind of a mnemonist") that that was a skill that people actually used to practice when they had minds (instead of cell phones, "smart" TV sets) and about how people did. By the way, before you go off, I am not saying or implying I am in any way better than other people. It is just that people’s minds are different. As a teacher I notice that on a daily basis. Our minds, not the melanin, ethnicity, money, ... thing, is what makes us "different". A times you see, legally speaking, "adult individuals" carrying around like 300 lbs of body weight with the mind of a 3th grader.
~
RE: I'm sure the USG's AI is not particularly interested in a tiny obscure forum.

"Why would the NSA care about my boobs?" would Lindsay Mills say to her boyfriend Edward Snowden, which gave him such levels of anxiety that he chose to go solo even though they were very intimate.

Pre Snowden era, I had a girlfriend who works as a social worker for mentally ill/unstable people. Once she asked me (and as an ISM activist working in Palestine she knew first hand about USG/Israeli evil, one of her best friends actually witnessed from a few feet away when the IDF ran a bulldozer over Rachel Corrie): "Why do you talk like this? You are very obviously not mentally ill. I know mental illness. This is what I do on a daily basis". Then I showed to her the letter in which USG let me know they had blacklisted my black rear end in the FBI criminal index. She was shocked, as she told me, because:

1) I am a totally unimportant person in fact I don't care about any kind of protagonism and I am kind of apolitical even a bit associal, I see politics kind of morally

2) USG doesn't deal with their targets in such ways (she knows very well about targeting they drove one of her friends to the point of hiding under her bed, literally, for days on end without returning calls or opening her apartment’s door not even to her close friends, family)

3) as another previous girlfriend put it (she also thought like that): "Ach! You a spy, a terrorist or any of that b#llsh!t. It is not even about you. Whoever wants to use you as such things doesn't have a clue about reality"

Then after the Snowden revelations she demanded for me to explain to her how did I know about all of that in such details and we had long and deep conversations about those matters and why is it that people choose to bury their heads in the sand when it came to them.

Last edited by kmortis; 13th August 2018 at 09:19 AM.
rlopez2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 05:14 AM   #83
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

If Facebook and YouTube should be obligated to publish Alex Jones, should then Jones' InfoWars website be obligated to publish things from mainstream sources?

In the name of free speech, can I demand Alex Jones publishes an article of mine?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 05:15 AM   #84
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

And please, rlopez2, learn to use the quote function. It's one button. Your last post is impossible to read, and I have no idea who or what you are responding to.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 06:50 AM   #86
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rlopez2 View Post
...colleagues consider me to be a freak. ...
And more rambling...

We get it. You are special. And really clever. It's obviously in the genes, because your brother is really clever. And your mother. Good for you.

So why would such a clever, special person follow convention? That's for sheep and other non special people, right?

Being unconventional is so edgy.
Old 11th August 2018, 06:58 AM   #87
fagin
Philosopher

And - did you even read your own links?

ps. see how easy the quote function is? Even a non special person can do it.
Old 11th August 2018, 07:09 AM   #88
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm assuming you're responding to me. PROTIP: it's the button that looks like a word bubble in a comic strip. I notice you did not answer my question.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 07:11 AM   #89
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
We get it. You are special. And really clever. It's obviously in the genes, because your brother is really clever. And your mother. Good for you.

So why would such a clever, special person follow convention? That's for sheep and other non special people, right?

Being unconventional is so edgy.
Or, if the whole world is out to get you, it's probably onto something.
Old 11th August 2018, 07:39 AM   #90
rlopez2
Thinker

RE: So why would such a clever, special person follow convention? That's for sheep and other non special people, right?
RE: Being unconventional is so edgy.

That was cheap, easily predictable. There is more to it than I am still expecting. I wrote this knowing you would go off.

You are acting like I am inflicting pain on you, which I can't help but take as some sort of odd and silly joke. I wonder to which extent it is that as a teacher I expect all social relations to be somewhat entropic, so I don't care about, don't even quite notice visual things.

However unconventionally crazy you find me, for the reasons I explained and regardless of whichever protagonistic projections and emotional somatizations on your side. I will not use your most loved quote thing. I know that would mean to you I am a neo nazi, child molester, offensive heretic, ... or whatever and as you may have noticed I don't give a **** about it.

I think I have taken care of answering your questions when I see them as answerable not ad hominem bs about "the OP" and such wasteful nonsense.

Hey! You may even gang up on me (and rightfully so!) as some of you were even suggesting and convince your topical police here to ban me. They have already removed some of my posts for freedom of interpretations kinds of reasons.

Last edited by rlopez2; 11th August 2018 at 07:41 AM.
rlopez2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 08:25 AM   #91
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps you could start with evidence. Much of what you provide as evidence ends with a question mark or you give links that don't say what you claim.
Old 11th August 2018, 09:56 AM   #92
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Don't you know that the quote button sends a message to the CIA and the NSA, so they can track what rlopez is doing and what nefarious plots of them he's revealing?

<sarcasm off>

I'm back to lurking mode.
Maybe some bots can't use the quote button, unlike CIA/NSA/MI6 bots who can.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 10:11 AM   #93
rlopez2
Thinker

RE: What I am talking about is in the 1990's technology turned "me and you" into the products to be sold to businesses.

since they have a degree of control over every single individual in society, that they can think of, handle every one of us as if they had all of us in some sort of predictive behavioral assembly line
Old 11th August 2018, 10:34 AM   #94
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Yes. You will be assimilated.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 10:35 AM   #95
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Are you suggesting a private company should be compelled to keep people they don't want and damage their brand on their platforms? Where, in all its articles does the constitution say that you have a right to a YouTube channel? I'll be needing chapter and verse please.
I think it can be reasonable argued that if a private company becomes so ubiquitous that it effectively starts to act as a public space, it should be forbidden for them to discriminate on the basis of political affiliation, religious belief, sexual orientation, etc... and should be compelled to allow a large diversity of opinion.

But even a public square needs some policing against public nuisance and if someone is finally kicked out of a crowded theater for shouting "fire" for the thousand's time, I don't think it should make any difference whether the theater is privately or publicly owned.

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Alex Jones' own app is trending number 1 on Android, he doesn't NEED Youtube
Since Google kicked him off YouTube, it is only a matter of time before they kick him off the Android Play Store. And he's not going to last long on Google+ either.
Old 11th August 2018, 10:48 AM   #96
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

They will be not only discrediting themselves even more and reducing their customer base in number and kind
That's no doubt something they weighed already.

Quote:
but their decision is silly because, technically speaking, Alex Jones can go ahead and start his own site (that is cheap and easy).
Why does that make their decision silly? This only makes sense if you assume that their intent is to silence Alex Jones. But it isn't. Their intent is not to have his filth polluting their websites. Mission accomplished!

No doubt Alex will make his own website. Maybe it will increase his popularity. So? Big deal. Youtube only care about whether he's on youtube or not.

Quote:
Then, what would come next? Are they pushing USG to take it from there?
No, they're not. Why would they? Again, this is not an attempt to silence Alex Jones, so they have no desire to do anything else.

Quote:
Will USG then officially and openly become thought police?
Um, no, they won't.

Quote:
Would that not only be unconstitutional (well, whatever is left of that sacrosanct Constitution), but "unAmerican"?
Yes it would. Which is why USG won't do it.

Incidentally, I can't help wondering - where is all this outrage when the current President openly attacks the media all the time?

Quote:
Alex Jones is some character:
Yes, he certainly is. An utter scumbag, liar, opportunist. I wouldn't allow him on my website either.

Quote:
I think one of the reasons why people chose Trump is because they have been conditioned to hate U.S. media.
That's part of it, certainly. The right have been at war with the US media for a long time. They want a world in which their voice is the dominant one - preferably the only one.

Again, all those who bleat about freedom of speech don't seem to care at all about this, for some strange reason. Even thought it's a vastly larger threat.

Quote:
The most interesting thing is how will USG bring about and enforce laws and regulations relating to their role as thought police
They won't.

Last edited by Seismosaurus; 11th August 2018 at 10:50 AM.
Seismosaurus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 08:02 AM   #97
rlopez2
Thinker

RE: Incidentally, I can't help wondering - where is all this outrage when the current President openly attacks the media all the time?

Why should there be any outrage? Apparently, "we the people" love it, that is one of the reasons why they like Trump. He takes it as some sort of sport. Can't you see that?

Moreover, why should any one respect the media? (is what I wonder about)
Old 13th August 2018, 08:08 AM   #98
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

I see "the good" (to call it something) in the latest news about Alex Jones.

Not only have the media conglomerate put themselves in the position of defining what is "hate speech" (which not only is undefinable syntactically and semantically, but it should be part of one's own private business), but I think they are making a crass political mistake.

They will be not only discrediting themselves even more and reducing their customer base in number and kind, but their decision is silly because, technically speaking, Alex Jones can go ahead and start his own site (that is cheap and easy). Then, what would come next? Are they pushing USG to take it from there? Will USG then officially and openly become thought police? Would that not only be unconstitutional (well, whatever is left of that sacrosanct Constitution), but "unAmerican"?

I very much doubt USG has the brains and spine to heed some sort of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_...m_Prohibitorum

to the chapter, page and paragraph as the Catholic Church did for 10 centuries (which, incidentally, was very industrious to business after the invention of the printing press). In those times they didn't have such things as cell phones, the NSA and FISA courts. So, they actually had to read and think about what all kinds of stuff "heretic minds" were writing about (including Giordano Bruno's and Galileo's preposterous ideas about the earth being round). The officers of the Index even gave them the right to legally and openly defend their points. Galileo's case was extreme because he was vertically making fun of the status quo in ways no one had ever dared and the Catholic Church in those times was politically stronger than USG has ever been. Of course, the NSA does the technical work for them, but it would really be a funny show if they actually start persecuting people for such things as "hate speech".

Alex Jones is some character:

https://www.infowars.com/about-alex-jones/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones

https://www.theonion.com/search?q=alex%20jones

and, of course, not all he talks about are "conspiracy theories". If you spend decades freely talking about all kinds of stuff relating, among many other things, to covert and disinformation operations by USG you will, statistically speaking, say a few things that will be more than half way off, like what he was saying about the Sandy Hook school, fake Moon landings and that pizza parlor in Washington DC serving as front for a child abuse business and of the millions of users and fans he has there will always be some who would take what he says too seriously.

But here is the thing, doesn't USG use the media and all kinds of actors, including "celebrities"?, don't they deceive people in all kinds of ways people can’t even begin to imagine? Are those folks in Washington DC so morally pure? Is child and all kinds of crass abuse really unheard of by USG?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plutonium_Files

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_a...ss_destruction

and the most important aspect would be: would the U.S. media touch any of those issues with a 10 foot pole? I mean even the NY Times would not explicitly mention his name while vaguely talking about Snowden’s revelations and that is definitely effective:

// __ Government Surveillance: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M
~
What I think is really happening here is the reaction of the media who are losing ground in irreversible ways. I think one of the reasons why people chose Trump is because they have been conditioned to hate U.S. media. Gringos say to the British: "don't judge us based on our media and we won't judge you based on your royalty", but actually those are not such irrational ways of judging one another. I had always heard that lies are tools, then I discovered in the US lies are actually industries.

The most interesting thing is how will USG bring about and enforce laws and regulations relating to their role as thought police when they can't even keep up with all that "Vladimir Putin" nonsense?

Ben Shapiro, not exactly an Alex Jones enthusiast himself, was giving a good example of why such things as "hate speech", which are essentially interpretative, you can't realistically codify and enforce, as moralistically self-righteous as you think yourself as being. He uses the example of he, himself, not saying to someone who biologically is a man and wants for other people to believe he is a woman and, among many other things force people's language usage. He asks: will they tell me that is "hate speech" and even possibly prosecute me for that? Even if you cut your pennies, balls, inject whatever to look like you got some boobs, ... want to be called "she", "legally" change your name, ... you are still a man who cut his pennies, balls, ...

I have worked for a shelter in Harlem, NYC. At times women (actual women should I say) come to us asking for shelter and we can't take them in even during a gelid winter night even though we have had beds. I don't like to do that (I was raised by a single mother), but, "per regulations", I have to. They tell us to give them a sheet with addresses of shelters for women in NYC. Now, I have nothing against that particular person I am using that case as a concrete example of what Shapiro is talking about. That could be seen as "hate", not PR, not quite kosher speech: there is a man there cross-dressing and acting as if he was a woman (which to me, even though very weird, I rationally see it is basically a mild and unimportant kind of delusion, probably a mental illness). He wants to be called "she" and even go by a girl’s name. Now, why doesn't "she" then go to a shelter for women? I have wondered about it, but I guess this very basic question could be deemed "inappropriate", "hateful", . . . when to me it is entirely appropriate, very basic and just. In one of my previous posts I asked a very simple question: "why doesn’t USG ‘freedom-love’ China?" Now, even though I am talking about "love" as USG does (yes, in my case, sarcastically), they could say and have said, that I am really talking about "hate" ...

Let me repeat and in no ambiguous terms that, as Shapiro, I really don’t give a **** about what people do with their very rear ends, it is theirs after all; but when we start calling a man a woman, a tree a bird, a gun some flowers, ... we won’t ever be able to solve any actual issues and politicians will be the only ones profitably exploiting that game.
You should totally work for Alex Jones. Sounds like the type of writing he's looking for.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 10:58 AM   #99
Axxman300
Illuminator

I am of the opinion that the world might be a better place if everyone gets kicked off the internet.
Old 13th August 2018, 12:01 PM   #100
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I am of the opinion that the world might be a better place if everyone gets kicked off the internet.
When I go on vacation I enjoy being completely away from all electronic communication devices. Other than an emergency phone and a not turned on crank powered radio it's nature only.

I liked the 60-90's in pre-computer era (but did get my first Apple IIGS in 86 and IBM 486 in 91)
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 01:43 PM   #101
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
No way! Then they would go back to being mean in real life.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2018, 04:16 PM   #102
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
When I go on vacation I enjoy being completely away from all electronic communication devices. Other than an emergency phone and a not turned on crank powered radio it's nature only.

I liked the 60-90's in pre-computer era (but did get my first Apple IIGS in 86 and IBM 486 in 91)
I enjoy that too but many of my vacations, it would not occur to me to take if it weren't for the internet.
Old 14th August 2018, 08:03 AM   #103
caveman1917
Philosopher

Facebook, Google, Twitter, et al let the Atlantic Council determine what is or isn't so-called "Fake News" to be removed. The Atlantic Council is a far-right think tank linked to NATO, so of course it's not just Alex Jones who gets removed. Just a small sample of examples:

Facebook events organizing the counter-protests to the "Unite the Right 2" rally held a couple of days ago in Washington get removed. The events organizing the rally itself are of course untouched. Not that it worked, counter-protests still vastly outnumbered the rally.

Left-wing facebook meme pages get removed for posting material opposing (neo-)nazism.

If you're in any way involved in "Leftbook" (the name given to the loose network of left-wing pages, groups, events, etc on facebook) you can see this in action almost daily. It's pure McCarthyism on a global social media scale.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 09:34 AM   #104
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Equal Time Rule might have made some sense in an age when you had a limited number of channels and standard broadcasting was the only game in town, but in an age of social media and satellite broadcasting with limitless channels it does not make sense. Fox News is balanced by MSNBC,
So who balances Sinclair?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 09:56 AM   #105
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Good news on that front: The Tribune deal is off.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:09 AM   #106
phunk
Illuminator

rlopez2, when you reply the way you do, taking sentence fragments and replying to them without the quote function, you are leaving out the context of the quote, a link back to the post you're replying to so we can see that context, and the identity of who you're replying to. It's rude.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 09:35 AM   #107
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Everything done by the city and county of San Francisco.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 10:50 AM   #108
The_Animus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Everything done by the city and county of San Francisco.
The city and county of San Fran owns local TV news stations all across the nation parroting liberal propaganda passing as the local trusted news anchor's own reporting?

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2018, 10:54 AM   #109
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Facebook, Google, Twitter, et al let the Atlantic Council determine what is or isn't so-called "Fake News" to be removed. The Atlantic Council is a far-right think tank linked to NATO, so of course it's not just Alex Jones who gets removed. Just a small sample of examples:

Facebook events organizing the counter-protests to the "Unite the Right 2" rally held a couple of days ago in Washington get removed. The events organizing the rally itself are of course untouched. Not that it worked, counter-protests still vastly outnumbered the rally.

Left-wing facebook meme pages get removed for posting material opposing (neo-)nazism.

If you're in any way involved in "Leftbook" (the name given to the loose network of left-wing pages, groups, events, etc on facebook) you can see this in action almost daily. It's pure McCarthyism on a global social media scale.
This is ,of course, Even more Conspiracy Theory B.S.

And NATO is a evil organization?

But them, this poster has spent a great deal of time in other forums here defending Stalin and proclaiming what a wonderful thing the Soviet Union was....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 09:37 AM   #110
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
I think it can be reasonable argued that if a private company becomes so ubiquitous that it effectively starts to act as a public space, it should be forbidden for them to discriminate on the basis of political affiliation, religious belief, sexual orientation, etc... and should be compelled to allow a large diversity of opinion.
Sure, and then it would be reasonable for the company to ask in return for immunity from certain kinds of liability. The more it is expected to act like a common carrier or a public accommodation, the more it can be expected to not be sued when it fails to police content that affect the other rights of its customers. And the more transparent it will be expected to be about who those customers are. These social media companies arose out of a desire to shape a certain kind of experience, and their terms of service reflect that. They undertake the expense of creating and supporting the experience, and therefore have a right to profit from it. That creates conflicts of interest we're only now turning the right attention to.

Then there's also the degree to which the government and necessary services are starting to rely on social media. It's common, for example, for police departments to tweet urgent bulletins. If Twitter's terms of service prevent some people from using the service, have those people been disenfranchised in some way? Consider that Facebook does not allow sex offenders to use their service. That's a reasonable policy, given the nature of the experience they wish to create and among whom they wish to create it. But Facebook also provides an easy and inexpensive platform for creating an online presence. If a county employment agency uses Facebook as its online presence for budget reasons, and requires all those seeking a job to interact with them electronically only via Facebook's communications, have they now just prevented all convicted sex offenders (and all others precluded in Facebook's terms of service) in their county from engaging with their government in an important way?

This is a larger problem I see with the privatization of government services. The mix of obligation to shareholders, obligation to constitutional fairness, the right of free enterprise, and issues of liability haven't been talked about enough. When private interests -- especially profit interests -- have more control over our behavior as citizens than governments bound to constitutions and charters, I want to focus more scrutiny on that.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2018, 12:30 PM   #111
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
It's common, for example, for police departments to tweet urgent bulletins.
I hope that they are simply including twitter when they send their alerts via the Wireless Emergency Alerts system the Federal government set up. I know my local & state police/fire emergency alerts come to me via the system as well as NWS storm alerts. (had my first "TORNADO TAKE SHELTER NOW! message on my phone a couple weeks ago)

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
If a county employment agency uses Facebook as its online presence for budget reasons, and requires all those seeking a job to interact with them electronically only via Facebook's communications, have they now just prevented all convicted sex offenders (and all others precluded in Facebook's terms of service) in their county from engaging with their government in an important way?
That should be banned by law, period. Forced surrender of your privacy rights to a corporation to get government services is just plain wrong.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 06:24 AM   #112
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

I hope David Icke or Mark Dice aka Le Health Guru will be next.

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 03:48 PM   #113
rlopez2
Thinker

// __ FRONTLINE PBS (55:18): The Facebook Dilemma, Part One (full film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48KFiHwexM
~
// __ FRONTLINE PBS (54:48): The Facebook Dilemma, Part Two (full film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuA4qxPbpQE
~

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories