ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Convection , meteorology , storms

Old 16th November 2018, 12:36 AM   #201
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
You can’t link to it, can you?
Originally Posted by JamesMcGinn View Post
You got nothing!!!

Res ipsa loquitur.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 01:07 AM   #202
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NewtonTrino View Post
There's nothing really else to say.

Honestly still don't understand what the original thing is about.
It's a lot of hot air.
Old 16th November 2018, 01:08 AM   #203
Elagabalus
Illuminator

LOL. You simple fools can't figure out anything.

This is the reason so much of science is so bad.
Jim, you're just pissed because back in the day your idyllic summer vacation spot (West over the hill from your present locale) was just one yuge fog bank that blotted out the sun for the entire summer. How did that fog get there, Jimbo?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 01:31 AM   #204
Kid Eager
Philosopher

There appears to be a deep-seated emotional need in the OP to be right despite evidence to the contrary.

He's got nuthin!
Old 16th November 2018, 01:37 AM   #205
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Mathematical models that predict. They have them and you don’t. If you had an idea about how you would go about making your own, you would understand theirs and not be in your current situation.
Old 16th November 2018, 01:44 AM   #206
3point14
Pi

I think the biggest problem in science is that, because it's so complicated, people who don't get it think that it's just made up and therefore think that they can do the just making stuff up bit themselves.
Old 16th November 2018, 01:49 AM   #207
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

BREAKTHROUGH: Hydrogen Bonding as The Mechanism That Neutralizes H2O Polarity
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...U/QmNEM9mnDgAJ

Naturally there are YouTube videos.
Old 16th November 2018, 02:07 AM   #208
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Sounds sciency!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:26 AM   #209
jonesdave116
Master Poster

Quote:
(Like the surreal belief (superstition) that H2O magically becomes gaseous at temperatures/pressures far below its boiling temperature/pressure.)
Lol. Science not really your thing, is it? Take a bowl out of cupboard. Stick some water in it. Leave at room temperature. See what happens after a few days. Dear me. Talk about lowest common denominator! I think we just found it.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 02:38 AM   #210
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningSeveral posts breaching the MA (and responses to them) have been moved to AAH.

The mod team is aware of the possible membership irregularity and are investigating that; this is not the thread for discussion of that issue.

Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:25 AM   #211
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
Lol. Science not really your thing, is it? Take a bowl out of cupboard. Stick some water in it. Leave at room temperature. See what happens after a few days. Dear me. Talk about lowest common denominator! I think we just found it.
Shush! Let him say his punchline before you trample on it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 04:09 AM   #212
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

You got nothing!!!
No U.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 05:38 AM   #213
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not running a hand holding service here. Take a guess. Go ahead. Be brave.
Why can't you tell us where you think it goes?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 05:57 AM   #214
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Instead of becoming upset why not just ask me if I will allow you to make a retraction.
I'm not upset and I've said nothing to retract.

I ask you these questions to help you explain your beliefs. Why don't you answer them?

Why always? If the moist air were also warmer and less dense than dry cool air, couldn't it be lighter?

If not convection, what?

That goes along with convection, but if it doesn't rise because it's lighter, then why does it rise?

What are your scientific credentials?

If the water doesn't become gaseous, then where does it go?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 06:13 AM   #215
Belz...
Fiend God

Right. Now just apply Avogadro's law and you get the right answer. Moist air is heavier (not lighter) than dry air.

https://www.thunderbolts.info/forum/...hp?f=8&t=16306

Now do you get it?

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes
It's rude to post so many posts (30+!) in a row. Learn to multi-quote and post more compact responses to several people, please.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 06:18 AM   #216
Belz...
Fiend God

Impossible. H2O does not magically turn gaseous. The invisibility fools people. People are gullible and assume that since gaseous H2O is invisible that therefore the invisibility of moist air proves it is gaseous. This is just dumb reasoning.
Who the hell assumes that? It doesn't even make any sense.

Quote:
Vapor. Not gas.

You got nothing!!!
Tell you what: why don't you test these ideas rather than take words on the internet as gospel?

Quote:
You are so desperate.
So no counter-argument, then?

You're in way over your head here.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 06:20 AM   #217
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Lurch,
Moist air is always heavier than dry air. Always!

You are mistaken. H2O is heavier than the N2 and O2 (at ambient temperatures) in that it consists of nanodroplets, not individual molecules. The thing you forgot to consider is the boiling temperature of H2O.

That would explain why I’m squinting at my computer screen through a fog, but unfortunately for your beautiful theory I’m not.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 06:24 AM   #218
Belz...
Fiend God

Humans like simple models. So, meteorologists and climatologists give us what we want.
They need supercomputers to calculate weather. How simple is that?

Quote:
It's as if you are just parroting back things you've heard.
Ditto. You're parotting nonsense websites without demonstrating that you understand the science.

Quote:
This is the reason so much of science is so bad.
Oh, ok. I think I've got you figured out now. You don't understand science so you've decided that your way of thinking is better. I suppose you think it's "holistic" or somesuch. You even labeled yourself a genius. I think you should be a bit more humble and respect those who've dedicated their lives to understanding how the world works. They know a hell of a lot more than you.

Old 16th November 2018, 08:33 AM   #219
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Or maybe you can explain. Does your method of turning liquid H2O into gaseous H2O far below its known boiling temperature/pressure in any way involve pixie dust?

No, it involves water molecules at the surface of the liquid having sufficient energy to escape the attraction of the molecules around them. Whearas your method would seem to require groups of molecules forming droplets that are somehow discrete from the water around them, which somehow levitate themselves from the body of the water. Who needs “pixie dust” here?

Old 16th November 2018, 09:55 AM   #220
carlitos
"más divertido"

Right. Now just apply Avogadro's law and you get the right answer. Moist air is heavier (not lighter) than dry air.

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Your post has a fatal error - linking to the forum at the deluded Thunderbolts cult.
From that forum post:

Quote:
USA Today:
"What Avogadro discovered leads us to conclude that if we added water vapor
molecules to our cubic foot of air, some of the nitrogen and oxygen molecules
would leave -- remember, the total number of molecules in our cubic foot of air
stays the same. The water molecules, which replace nitrogen or oxygen, have a
molecular weight of 18. (One oxygen atom with atomic weight of 16, and two
hydrogen atoms each with atomic weight of 1). This is lighter than both nitrogen
and oxygen, which average out at 29. In other words, replacing nitrogen and
oxygen with water vapor decreases the weight of the air in the cubic foot; that
is, it's density decreases."
I am willing to bet big money that USA Today did not misspell "its."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 09:58 AM   #221
CORed
Philosopher

No, it involves water molecules at the surface of the liquid having sufficient energy to escape the attraction of the molecules around them. Whearas your method would seem to require groups of molecules forming droplets that are somehow discrete from the water around them, which somehow levitate themselves from the body of the water. Who needs “pixie dust” here?
I learned that in high school chemistry. So far, the only thing the OP of this thread has demonstrated is massive ignorance of basic scientific principles. Liquids (not just water) evaporate below their boiling points all the time. I seem to recall running into this guy (or someone with very similar misconceptions) on youtube.

The boiling point is the temperature (for a given pressure) where the vapor pressure equals the ambient pressure. At this temperature, bubbles of vapor can form within the liquid. Below it, evaporation can only occur on the surface of the liquid. I suspect everyone here except for the OP understands this.

Last edited by CORed; 16th November 2018 at 10:00 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:02 AM   #222
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Impossible. H2O does not magically turn gaseous. The invisibility fools people. People are gullible and assume that since gaseous H2O is invisible that therefore the invisibility of moist air proves it is gaseous. This is just dumb reasoning.
So, your entire "scientific discovery" revolves around denying that liquid and solid water may evaporate or sublimate into a gaseous form?

Wikipedia is your friend.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:11 AM   #223
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Oh man, I like your post better.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:32 AM   #224
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, your entire "scientific discovery" revolves around denying that liquid and solid water may evaporate or sublimate into a gaseous form?

Wikipedia is your friend.
The notion that the liquid to gas phase change can happen only at or above the boiling point does seem to be the fundamental misunderstanding at the root of his delusions. I'm not sure whether or not he understands that boiling point depends on pressure as well as temperature. I would wager significant money that the concept of vapor pressure is completely beyond his comprehension.

Between his utter ignorance of basic concepts and his unshakable conviction that he and he alone knows how things really work it's hard to know where to start with him. He needs to go back to high school science, if not elementary school science.

Last edited by CORed; 16th November 2018 at 10:36 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:37 AM   #225
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Bwhahaha! In space, even metals can sublimate to an extent that's significant to engineering. In some cases that's why we anodize them.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:47 AM   #226
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post

To be fair, it IS a bit like watching paint dry.

ETA: It occurs to me that if Jim has access to a classroom chemistry lab somewhere they might have one of those high-tech digital scales so he could place the bowl of water on the scale and watch the water's mass slowly decrease over time. Just to make it more exciting!

Last edited by Elagabalus; 16th November 2018 at 10:54 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:57 AM   #227
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think the biggest problem in science is that, because it's so complicated, people who don't get it think that it's just made up and therefore think that they can do the just making stuff up bit themselves.
It would appear that JamesMcGinn's notion of how science works is that you make stuff up, shout it very loudly and insult anyone who disagrees. I don't think "test your hypothesis by experimentation and/or data collection" fits into it anywhere at all.
Old 16th November 2018, 11:15 AM   #228
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

(Like the surreal belief (superstition) that H2O magically becomes gaseous at temperatures/pressures far below its boiling temperature/pressure.)

James McGinn / Solving Tornadoes
I know this is hopeless, but ... please tell us what you think happens when you hang clothes out to dry.

Hans
Old 16th November 2018, 11:30 AM   #229
The Moog
Thinker

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I know this is hopeless, but ... please tell us what you think happens when you hang clothes out to dry.

Hans
Magic!
Wooooo
The Moog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 11:42 AM   #230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Bwhahaha! In space, even metals can sublimate to an extent that's significant to engineering. In some cases that's why we anodize them.
Not just in space which is why they are looking at ditching the 'Grand K'
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 11:49 AM   #231
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Not just in space which is why they are looking at ditching the 'Grand K'
'k
Old 16th November 2018, 02:44 PM   #232
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I hope the mods don't take away our new chew toy....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 03:19 PM   #233
Kid Eager
Philosopher

All together now... “you got nothing!”
Old 16th November 2018, 09:33 PM   #234
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans

When I do it, it starts raining.

Norm

fromdownunder is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2018, 10:59 PM   #235
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

Norm
Any particular type of clothes? We could throw them out of aircraft and cause rain during droughts.
Old 17th November 2018, 01:13 AM   #236
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post

Norm
When I get sad it always seems to rain.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 06:54 AM   #237
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
All together now... “you got nothing!”
He keeps saying that. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 07:12 AM   #238
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He keeps saying that. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.
He uses it whenever he runs out of arguments, so it really means "I got nothing".

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 08:13 AM   #239
Pacal
Muse

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
From that forum post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post

Your post has a fatal error - linking to the forum at the deluded Thunderbolts cult.
From that forum post:

Quote:
Quote:

USA Today:
"What Avogadro discovered leads us to conclude that if we added water vapor
molecules to our cubic foot of air, some of the nitrogen and oxygen molecules
would leave -- remember, the total number of molecules in our cubic foot of air
stays the same. The water molecules, which replace nitrogen or oxygen, have a
molecular weight of 18. (One oxygen atom with atomic weight of 16, and two
hydrogen atoms each with atomic weight of 1). This is lighter than both nitrogen
and oxygen, which average out at 29. In other words, replacing nitrogen and
oxygen with water vapor decreases the weight of the air in the cubic foot; that
is, it's density decreases."
I am willing to bet big money that USA Today did not misspell "its."
Wow!! Is that quote from the Thunderbolts website really has stupid has it seems to be?

One example of the stupidity. Just where do the nitrogen and oxygen atoms go? Do they teleport to another world?!
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 08:16 AM   #240
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
One example of the stupidity. Just where do the nitrogen and oxygen atoms go? Do they teleport to another world?!

Are you joking? No. They leave that particular cubic foot.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories