IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gurus , sai baba

Old 21st April 2011, 10:10 PM   #1
GenghisKhan
Scholar

Sai Baba

I was just curious if any of you have encountered followers of Sathya Sai Baba. My step-grandmother actually moved to India to follow this man, and while she seems to be doing fine, I find it quite alarming. She has always been a bit "out there", but I think she has finally gone over the edge. I hear her talking about how he magically makes small pieces of jewelry and magic ash, and honestly I am at a loss for words. I feel like it is impossible to directly confront her about it because I don't want to upset her and lose contact, but I am a bit worried.

Do any of you have advice about how to perhaps plant a seed of skepticism in her mind, or do any of you have personal experiences with these followers? It seems pretty tame from what she talks about and the wiki page, but I'm afraid that she can now easily be sucked into a more dangerous "cult" since she is so far into this following.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

She moved to India to become the devotee of a parlor trick guru?

I'm sorry, but it sounds like she's long gone.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe if you could learn how to do the same parlor trick and show her?

Randi probably knows how he does it.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:20 PM   #4
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

it's already been done. Sorcar is the big name magician in India, and he's a bit of a debunker as well:

http://www.india-today.com/itoday/20001204/cover3.shtml
Old 21st April 2011, 10:25 PM   #5
GenghisKhan
Scholar

This is actually a really good idea. It wouldn't be a direct attack but I could casually show her a trick I learned and maybe explain it. It might help! Do you know if anybody has a link to an explanation as to how to do it? I don't want to inundate her with arguments so this might be perfect.
Old 21st April 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Look up.

eta: You'll need plenty of practice with palming techniques and the like that any how-to magic book can describe.

Last edited by quixotecoyote; 21st April 2011 at 10:28 PM.
quixotecoyote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2011, 10:28 PM   #7
GenghisKhan
Scholar

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
it's already been done. Sorcar is the big name magician in India, and he's a bit of a debunker as well:

http://www.india-today.com/itoday/20001204/cover3.shtml
Thanks for the link! I'm going to see if maybe I can find a more in-depth explanation of these tricks so maybe I can practice them and show them to her when she comes to visit. It can't hurt to try.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Pacal
Graduate Poster

It is my understanding that Sai Baba performs the trick of making jewelery appear out of "thin air" by means of palming. I remember seeing a video of Sai Baba, (taken secretly of course), of him being given a black box, (a gift or something), and palming a piece of jewelery from under the box and then making it appear out of "thin air" over his head. It is blatant and disgusting.

No words can describe the loathing I feel for this fraud, and those who aid him in his fraud.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GenghisKhan View Post
Thanks for the link! I'm going to see if maybe I can find a more in-depth explanation of these tricks so maybe I can practice them and show them to her when she comes to visit. It can't hurt to try.
Yeah, I'm sure it takes plenty of practice to be able to do it well, and I'm sure that there are books or web pages out there which explain how to do it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
It is my understanding that Sai Baba performs the trick of making jewelery appear out of "thin air" by means of palming. I remember seeing a video of Sai Baba, (taken secretly of course), of him being given a black box, (a gift or something), and palming a piece of jewelery from under the box and then making it appear out of "thin air" over his head. It is blatant and disgusting.

No words can describe the loathing I feel for this fraud, and those who aid him in his fraud.
I can't watch youtube videos right now because I'm at work, but I googled sai baba trick videos and got a bunch of hits for youtube videos.

GenghisKhan, you'll probably want to check out some of these youtube videos and maybe you can see how he does it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:54 AM   #11
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Have you ever browsed the Graham Hancock forums?! Actually, I'm a loyal member of the site, because it's the first one I 'discovered' - at a time when I didn't know such things existed! - and there have been, and still are, of course, some excellent posters there with a wide variety of down-to-earth, sensible, practical, philosophical and scientific views from whom I've learnt a great deal. There are others, however, who are obviously kind, lovely people, but who are so immersed in reading the books about Indian gurus and yogis, convinced that they have access to some higher level because they have spent years meditating in certain ways and communicating with spirits, etc, that I don't think they will ever change. They know, however, what my views - always presented with courtesy I hasten to add - are!! (I'm Susan Doris there by the way.)

Sadly, though, I'm sorry I have no advice to offer.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:15 AM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that reminds me to add: I doubt that showing her how the tricks are done will actually convince her that he's a fraud, but you can say you tried. Strongly religious people almost always find ways to dismiss the evidence if they want to continue to be a believer.
Old 22nd April 2011, 02:38 AM   #13
punshhh
Philosopher

Yeah, that reminds me to add: I doubt that showing her how the tricks are done will actually convince her that he's a fraud, but you can say you tried. Strongly religious people almost always find ways to dismiss the evidence if they want to continue to be a believer.
I've had no direct experience with the Sai Baba organisation. However what I've heard over the years has lead me to consider it a pieceful moderate group.They produce some very good insence. I've been using it for twenty years, you can't get anything better outside India.
punshhh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Zep
Banned

The little con-man is currently in (a very expensive) hospital with very serious kidney issues and high blood pressure. With any luck, he will pop his clogs soon, and the lieutenants will start shooting each other for a share of the money. Then all his deceived followers can just go home.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 04:04 AM   #15
s_pepys
Muse

hi

bbc documentary on sai baba. the secret swami.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0320034777862#

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 04:10 AM   #16
s_pepys
Muse

Originally Posted by punshhh View Post
I've had no direct experience with the Sai Baba organisation. However what I've heard over the years has lead me to consider it a pieceful moderate group.They produce some very good insence. I've been using it for twenty years, you can't get anything better outside India.
hi

im sorry but i definately do not agree with this description of the sathya sai baba organisation. peaceful and moderate? holy cow!

lxxx
s_pepys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 04:53 AM   #17
Joey McGee
Banned

I know a guy who does have a lot of experience with talking people out of this kind of thing. His name is Rick Ross, he is a widely respected, legendary cult expert. He has a help page on his website. Also, check out white paper on how he does it.For instance one tip is that the longer you can keep the process going for, 3-4 days, the more likely that she'll agree to leave. You have to get people to follow new rules of processing information somehow.

She's probably reasonably safe and sound but I'd do anything to get my grandma away from Sai Baba. The dude should have been put in jail. I think deceiving people and running a cult should be illegal. There is so much more to life, it's certainly a crime against humanity.

Last edited by Joey McGee; 22nd April 2011 at 05:11 AM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 05:01 AM   #18
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

If you are going to try that route, then practice is the key. Get it wrong and she will not be convinced, but get it right and she might.

Practice as often as possible, so that mind and muscle memory can almost do it on autopilot without you even thinking about it. Preferably in front of a mirror, so that you can see what she will see.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:24 AM   #19
GenghisKhan
Scholar

Thank you everybody for all your information, I will check out the links! Sadly, only recently did I really realize how caught up in this she was. I first heard her talk about it when I was younger and more impressionable, so I never thought to do research on my own. It's not easy to contact her in India, I'm not even sure if she has a phone. I don't want her trip home to be full of intervention attempts, but I will definitely use your links and suggestions to try to at least do SOMETHING.

You are right about having to get the magic right. I guess if I can't do it well enough I can perhaps show her a video of somebody doing the trick and explaining it. She will probably just say "but Sai Baba doesn't use illusions" or something, but I have to try.

She's been safe and sound so far, but since her move to India I just worry since it is harder to keep tabs on her. She is a very nice lady and she doesn't deserve to be conned like this.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:25 AM   #20
GenghisKhan
Scholar

Originally Posted by s_pepys View Post
hi

bbc documentary on sai baba. the secret swami.

lxxx
Thank you, I love the BBC! I will check this out today.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:01 PM   #21
s_pepys
Muse

Thank you, I love the BBC! I will check this out today.
cool. let me know what you think.

lxxx
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:37 PM   #22
MrBooglemaumau
Critical Thinker

A few years ago I had a friend suffering from cancer.She believed,and went to India to see Sai Baba....she came back and said.."When I SAW him, I knew that my cancer was cured "....I'm sorry for my friend.Nothing would change her belief in this trickster...It's difficult to change people's opinion sometimes,even when they are shown it's all just trickery....
MrBooglemaumau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:13 AM   #23
Zep
Banned

Has she had her cancer cure confirmed? If not, wish her all the best.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:40 AM   #24
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I once saw Sai Baba described as someone who makes jewelry appear for rich people and makes ashes appear for poor people. For me, that just about says it all right there.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:32 AM   #25
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
I once saw Sai Baba described as someone who makes jewelry appear for rich people and makes ashes appear for poor people. For me, that just about says it all right there.
That it works this way is not The Baba's fault. It's just they way the Universe works. Look around you at society.
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:52 AM   #26
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic

This links to Sai Baba's exposed trickery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZ5NI_QjXw
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:05 PM   #27
ConspicuousCarl
Thinker

I just watched the whole BBC video of that bastard. Maybe his egg trick was more impressive back when he was willing to swallow and regurgitate (if that ever happened), but the incident on video is a pathetic napkin load:
(starts at 32:00)

He doesn't even open his mouth wide enough for a gold egg to pop out. Just a little drooling and suddenly there it is in the napkin. The debunker guy who follows is more convincing.
ConspicuousCarl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:29 PM   #28
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

Not sure exactly what is going on and not wishing to endorse violence but if Sia Baba had got some of this attitude early on then things could have been very different.

Fake Babas beaten up by angry mobs:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Matty1973; 23rd April 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 02:41 PM   #29
Matty1973
Critical Thinker

I think this is a report with one of the 'fake' Babas from in prison. I guess the language is Urdu or Punjabi or another Indian language. Can anyone shed light on what he is saying?

Baba Surjit Singh - Offical Statement to Sikh Sangat (from Patiala Prison):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Matty1973 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 03:23 PM   #30
Joey McGee
Banned

Someone should at least mention the serious allegations of rape and murder.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:04 PM   #31
dafydd
Banned

But he makes rocking incense! I'm as pleased as punch.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:16 PM   #32
s_pepys
Muse

the elephant baba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE7ol-_S20

lxxx
Old 23rd April 2011, 05:21 PM   #33
s_pepys
Muse

sorry. just had to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrYWu4S3O0

a guy keeping his hand above his head! crazy stuff.

lxxx
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:32 PM   #34
MrBooglemaumau
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Has she had her cancer cure confirmed? If not, wish her all the best.
No..she still has cancer...I feel sorry for her !
MrBooglemaumau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2011, 01:06 AM   #35
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

He is dead.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...ex.html?hpt=T2

good riddance.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2011, 01:12 AM   #36
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

GOOD NEWS!

SAI BABA IS DEAD!

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...424-1dstm.html

I am reminded of a Bob Dylan song:

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand over your grave
Til I'm sure that you're dead.

The world is now a better place.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2011, 02:40 AM   #37
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by MrBooglemaumau View Post
No..she still has cancer...I feel sorry for her !
Has it dawned on her yet that there was never a cure from this conman?
Old 24th April 2011, 04:44 AM   #38
fuelair
Banned

Anyone up for a double bill here - somewhere in Kansas!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2011, 05:08 AM   #39
thatguywhojuggles
Graduate Poster

One dead, one waiting in the wings to take his place.
thatguywhojuggles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2011, 03:24 PM   #40
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Apparantly, he had $9 billion when he died. Oh, and the news articles mention some philanthropy. I guess if you have many billions you can afford to give a little of it away. It's really just a kind of business expense for those in the religion business. Window dressing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal