IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bible , buddhism , christianity , god , hinduism , islam , jesus

Old 8th June 2011, 09:05 AM   #321
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Yup
No.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 09:16 AM   #322
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Shakespeare was mad? That's a new one on me.
I bet he'd be pretty mad if he thought his legacy and name would be used for tripe like this.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:28 AM   #323
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gjpogiatzis View Post
I agree that seeing something very clearly is "the end of belief", or belief in the highest degree, but what do you make of the fact that in Plato's Republic Book Six, in the second section on the divided line which speaks about the things we see & sense with our other four senses, he characterizes this level of experience as "belief" ("pistis" in Greek, the same word for "faith" in the New Testament!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy...e_divided_line He is implying that the mind creates its reality- the things we see depend on what we believe and how strongly held those beliefs are. There is a deep mystery here. What is reality? The Buddha says at the end of the Diamond Sutra http://www.diamond-sutra.com/diamond...xt/page32.html that all we see is a dream, an illusion, much as Descartes proposes in the beginning of the Meditations.
We might interpret what we see and assign meaning based on context, but the reality of what we see is unchanged by us. How we determine it's meaning is up to us but the reality of it exists without regard to our interpretation.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 10:36 AM   #324
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't Billy Ockham opine that with all these widely different ideas on the subject from minds both great and small, that it's only an individual perception for any of us?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 10:42 AM   #325
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

There's a LOT more to creativity than the arts.
Engineers can be quite creative, and not mad... surly sometimes, but not clinically mad...
Old 8th June 2011, 11:30 AM   #326
gjpogiatzis
Scholar

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
How about it, Gjpogiatzis? Can you give us an example of some profound wisdom that was acquired in this manner and show that it could not have been acquired in any other way?

For instance, I can give an example of a profound truth that can be acquired without fasting: Slavery is wrong. Claiming ownership of a human being is not acceptable. I, and many others, arrived at this wisdom without fasting, trancing, spirit walking, meditating, dreaming, suffering epileptic seizures,1 hallucinating, or asking the shaman for advice. Oh, and we arrived at this truth without reading about Bible characters who had out-of-body experiences.

1) I still have no idea what to make of an educated, first-world resident in the twenty-first century who believes there is a divine element to the illness of epilepsy. WTF?
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. Rather than saying "the only way to truth", I should have said "the only way to 'wisdom'" & "eternal life", with "wisdom" defined as seeing the oneness of all things. Many of the most famous texts identify trance/"out of body experience"/"rapture" as THE way of coming to gain this "wisdom":

Plato's Republic: highest knowledge is seeing "The Idea of the Good"; in Book V, Socrates identifies the "greatest good" of the ideal city as what makes the city one

Plato's Phaedo:
"if we would have pure knowledge of anything we must be quit of the body, and the soul in herself must behold all things in themselves: then I suppose that we shall attain that which we desire, and of which we say that we are lovers, and that is wisdom, not while we live, but after death, as the argument shows; for if while in company with the body the soul cannot have pure knowledge, one of two things seems to follow-either knowledge is not to be attained at all, or, if at all, after death. For then, and not till then, the soul will be in herself alone and without the body. In this present life, I reckon that we make the nearest approach to knowledge when we have the least possible concern or interest in the body, and are not saturated with the bodily nature."

Bhagavad Gita 2.58-59
"When, like a tortoise retracting its limbs, he withdraws his senses completely from sensuous objects, his insight is sure. Sensuous objects fade when the embodied self abstains from food; the taste lingers, but it too fades in the vision of higher truth."
6:22: "Absolute joy beyond the senses can only be grasped by the understanding...obtaining it, he thinks there is no greater gain; abiding there, he is unmoved, even by suffering."
5:27: "shuns external objects, fixes his gaze between his brows" [on the third eye]
6:25-30:"He should think nothing...become one with the infinite spirit...sees me everywhere and sees everything in me...grasps the oneness of life"

Tao te Ching Ch.16: http://wayist.org/ttc%20compared/chap16.htm#top
"Empty your mind of all thoughts. [this leads to trance, out-of-body experience, when done correctly & for long enough] Let your heart be at peace. [Thus] watch the turmoil of all beings, but contemplate their return. All things in the universe returns to the common source. Returning to the source is serenity; it is to realize one's destiny. To realize one's destiny is to know the eternal. To know the eternal is to be enlightened. Not to know the eternal is to act blindly and court disaster. He who knows the eternal is all-embracing. Being all-embracing, he is impartial. Being impartial, he is kingly (universal). Being kingly, he is one with Nature. Being one with Nature, he is in accord with Tao. To be in accord with the Way is to be eternal and to live free from harm even though the body dies."

Herman Hesse's Siddhartha [on the Buddha]: "Slowly blossomed, slowly ripened in Siddhartha the realisation, the
knowledge, what wisdom actually was, what the goal of his long search
was. It was nothing but a readiness of the soul, an ability, a secret
art, to think every moment, while living his life, the thought of
oneness
, to be able to feel and inhale the oneness. "

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven": "And then the truth will come to you at last, that all is one and one is all, to be a rock & not to roll!"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...78443&sk=wall: My facebook wall, where I post what the Great Books,authors (Bible,Plato,Tao te Ching,Gita,Nietzsche, etc.) teach about the world's deepest mysteries: God/Satan, good/evil, happiness/misery, heaven/hell, life/death, etc. Send me a friend request.

Last edited by gjpogiatzis; 8th June 2011 at 11:32 AM.
gjpogiatzis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:48 AM   #327
dafydd
Banned

Lol,wisdom from Led Zep! They were numb from coke at that period. If you fix your gaze between your brows you will walk into a lamp post. Plato invented the plate. I prefer to inhale the Earth's atmosphere,it does me good.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:54 AM   #328
Pup
Philosopher

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. Rather than saying "the only way to truth", I should have said "the only way to 'wisdom'" & "eternal life", with "wisdom" defined as seeing the oneness of all things. Many of the most famous texts identify trance/"out of body experience"/"rapture" as THE way of coming to gain this "wisdom":
I'm a little more interested in seeing how you define "eternal life."

As far as wisdom, seems to me the problem is that such trance states certainly make a person feel as if they, subjectively, have attained wisdom.

I'm not sure it works so well to cherry-pick "wise" people who claim their wisdom came from a trance state, without comparing them to "wise" people who don't, as well as comparing them to the number of people who attain trance states and aren't particularly wise.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:54 AM   #329
Bad vibe
Critical Thinker

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. Rather than saying "the only way to truth", I should have said "the only way to 'wisdom'" & "eternal life", with "wisdom" defined as seeing the oneness of all things.
Oneness of all things? everything you see, taste, feel .....virtually the whole material world came from the death of a star, there you go were all star stuff. No mysticism, fairy fluff or years of psychosis required, now you can go do something useful with your life instead of wasting it peddling gibberish.
Bad vibe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 12:01 PM   #330
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. Rather than saying "the only way to truth", I should have said "the only way to 'wisdom'" & "eternal life", with "wisdom" defined as seeing the oneness of all things.
Really? There is no other way to realize the oneness of things? I cannot simply observe how the smallest of my decisions impacts those I know and don't know? I cannot turn outward instead of inward and see that my lifestyle affects local wildlife, national economies and international trade, which in turns affects the wildlife, culture , society, and economy of a distant country? I cannot read stories of blood diamonds and make the link that demand for resources other than diamonds also impacts the very lives of people half-way across the world?

Quote:
Many of the most famous texts identify trance/"out of body experience"/"rapture" as THE way of coming to gain this "wisdom":
Once again, just because a famous book says somehitng does not mean that that principle is inviolate truth that must be worshiped.

Last edited by Ladewig; 8th June 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 12:26 PM   #331
RossFW
Muse

This whole thread so perfectly exemplifies how people intent on finding irrational, fictitious meanings to existence miss out on how wholly satisfying, wonderful and, if they where to experience it, they would describe it as spiritual, the realization of ones place in the real, physical, experiencable universe really is.

gjpogiatzis, You are missing out and I pity you.
RossFW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 12:43 PM   #332
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I have met Christians who have worked to feed the poor. They have told me that after a big project, they sometimes look at what has been done and feel a sense of accomplishment that borders on religious ecstasy. Not in a prideful way, but in a sense that the community has come together to reduce the amount of pain in the world by (1) feeding people who would have gone without food and (2) helping these people believe that they are worthy of the gift they received.

Surprisingly, Jesus, Himself, describes such activities as part of the path that leads to eternal life. [Matt. chapter 5]

Ironically, this approach to wisdom and connectedness involves using food rather than eschewing food.

Again, I counter your assertion - your path is not the only one.

Last edited by Ladewig; 8th June 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 12:46 PM   #333
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

OH WOW! WOW. IT'S LIKE, ALL ONE. WE'RE ALL ONE. UNREAL, MAN Ooops, sorry, had a little flashback for a moment. Must have been the Led Zeppelin. Now back to our regularly scheduled reality show.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 12:55 PM   #334
slingblade

What'd the Buddhist say to the hot-dog vendor?

"Make me one with everything."
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 12:58 PM   #335
slingblade

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Wouldn't Billy Ockham opine that with all these widely different ideas on the subject from minds both great and small, that it's only an individual perception for any of us?
See post #6.
slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 01:13 PM   #336
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
Yes there is. Ethnographic comparison makes the collective unconscious stand out quite clearly. Spend a few years away from internet forums and studying comparative mythology, comparative mysticism, comparative religion, and you will see that there is overwhelming evidence for a collective unconscious. But I believe I have told you that before to no avail.

But anyway. gjpogiatzis, nice thread but you are probably wasting your time. If the average JREFer was capable of benefiting from your words then they wouldn't need them in the first place.

I did that long before there was an internet and concluded that there was no collective unconscious.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 01:14 PM   #337
gjpogiatzis
Scholar

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Really? There is no other way to realize the oneness of things? I cannot simply observe how the smallest of my decisions impacts those I know and don't know? I cannot turn outward instead of inward and see that my lifestyle affects local wildlife, national economies and international trade, which in turns affects the wildlife, culture , society, and economy of a distant country? I cannot read stories of blood diamonds and make the link that demand for resources other than diamonds also impacts the very lives of people half-way across the world?

Once again, just because a famous book says somehitng does not mean that that principle is inviolate truth that must be worshiped.
Do "you" really think you're one with all things? The fact that you use the word "I" belies this, because you speak as if you have a "self" separate from other things. In the Diamond Sutra of the Buddha, the illusion of there being a self is the most important and hardest illusion to overcome. It's hard to really see it until your state of consciousness is dramatically altered (hence my thread on the connections between "madness" & genius), because in our ordinary state of consciousness we do seem to be a self separate from other things.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...78443&sk=wall: My facebook wall, where I post what the Great Books,authors (Bible,Plato,Tao te Ching,Gita,Nietzsche, etc.) teach about the world's deepest mysteries: God/Satan, good/evil, happiness/misery, heaven/hell, life/death, etc. Send me a friend request.
gjpogiatzis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 01:20 PM   #338
slingblade

Do "you" really think you're one with all things?
I don't see where it's necessary to be so, really. Except in some esoteric, won't-put-food-in-my-belly or a-roof-over-my-head kind of way.

Pretty much of the opinion that people who focus intently on philosophy are wasting perfectly good time. There are better, more productive things to do, really. Philosophizing is best suited to a nice chair by the fire, a nice snifter of brandy, and a couple of good friends to shoot the angsty bull with until bedtime.

Quote:
The fact that you use the word "I" belies this, because you speak as if you have a "self" separate from other things. In the Diamond Sutra of the Buddha, the illusion of there being a self is the most important and hardest illusion to overcome. It's hard to really see it until your state of consciousness is dramatically altered (hence my thread on the connections between "madness" & genius), because in our ordinary state of consciousness we do seem to be a self separate from other things.
Meh.
Old 8th June 2011, 01:33 PM   #339
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Do "you" really think you're one with all things?
After three pages, I'm still not sure what the devil this even means. I mean, I know I'm a physical being, impacted by the gravity of everything around me to some extent, and I'm more than aware of my place in evolutionary history (a successfull twig of a...not so successful....branch of Mammalia) and the role of my species moving forward (Future Evolution, by Peter Ward). However, all of this knowledge comes from the senses, and serious study of the actual evidence--precisely what every one of these threads is saying is blinding me. I suppose that the ACTUAL ways in which humans are a part of the universe are irrelevant to this discussion?

Quote:
The fact that you use the word "I" belies this, because you speak as if you have a "self" separate from other things.
I've been "one with" a knife several times in my life, in that the knife was occupying a portion of the space below my skin. The fact that this can occur (and that it can do a truly remarkable amount of damage, enough to cause your body to mess with your mind) pretty much proves that there is a "self" different from other things. If the knives and I were "one", inserting a knife in me shouldn't hurt, right?

Or (again) should we just go ahead and assume that any facts are irrelevant in this discussion?

Quote:
It's hard to really see it until your state of consciousness is dramatically altered
Ah. So, go ahead and assume that facts are irrelevant. Because you know the TRUE path to wisdom--ignoring all data.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 02:26 PM   #340
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dafydd
I have known a lot of fellow musicians over the years.None of them showed any signs of autism.
I've known a lot of very good scientists as well. None of them had what any obvious signs of autism (not saying they weren't there--I'm not a trained psychologyst--just that I didn't see them).

Quote:
Baron-Cohen argues that people with autism spectrum disorders favour systems that change in predictable ways, and that they have problems with ambiguity or fiction and are strongly driven to discover the truth.
This is actually an argument AGAINST autism being required to be a great scientist. Chaos theory basicaly renders a large number of systems fundamentally unpredictable, at least in the deterministic sense (they're predictable statistically, but if you have two systems and you put the same pressure on them you get wildly different results).

Quote:
It is the silliest thread possible. But also a very dangerous and in some places repulsive idea.
I almost fully agree with you. My only disagreement is the "some places" comment--there's nothing NOT repulsive about the OP's argument.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 02:50 PM   #341
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not one with all things. When I walk into a wall, I hit it and stop. When I make love, I make love to another person. When I see out the window, I see out it not into it.

Connection is not unity. To suggest that the chaotic and intricate connectedness of the universe is unity is to miss all the interesting parts.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 02:53 PM   #342
Joey McGee
Banned

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
I have known a lot of fellow musicians over the years.None of them showed any signs of autism.
I think what he means by a "dash" is it's on the lowest possible end of the spectrum, just a natural proclivity, or tendency. It seems the spectrum exists for a reason, for example a very recent paper explores this "Conceptualizing the Autism Spectrum in Terms of Natural Selection and Behavioral Ecology: The Solitary Forager Hypothesis"

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
This is actually an argument AGAINST autism being required to be a great scientist. Chaos theory basicaly renders a large number of systems fundamentally unpredictable, at least in the deterministic sense (they're predictable statistically, but if you have two systems and you put the same pressure on them you get wildly different results).
I think you're leaning on the word systems too hard. I absolutely see science-mindedness as a tendency or proclivity rather than a system. For example, we like things that work.

Quote:
I almost fully agree with you. My only disagreement is the "some places" comment--there's nothing NOT repulsive about the OP's argument.
In that sense absolutely. Some parts are funny and others actually revolting to consider but despite the intentions the fact that this objectively leads to suffering is too much to bear.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 03:07 PM   #343
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
What'd the Buddhist say to the hot-dog vendor?

"Make me one with everything."
Must resist... must resist telling the follow-up...

Aargh! Can't resist!

So the Buddhist gets his hotdog, pays the vendor, and asks for his change. The vendor says, "Sorry, change comes from within."
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 03:12 PM   #344
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
OH WOW! WOW. IT'S LIKE, ALL ONE. WE'RE ALL ONE. UNREAL, MAN Ooops, sorry, had a little flashback for a moment. Must have been the Led Zeppelin. Now back to our regularly scheduled reality show.
< adopts voice like a petulant child screaming for a lollipop > "Ah doan know,but ah bin told,a big legged woman ain't got no soul" What wisdom there is in those words. Led Zep,the ultimate kundalini band.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 08:06 PM   #345
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
There's a LOT more to creativity than the arts.
Engineers can be quite creative, and not mad... surly sometimes, but not clinically mad...
Uncivil Engineers?
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 08:13 PM   #346
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

"Been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely long time."

Sorry, where were we?
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 08:31 PM   #347
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
"Been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely long time."

Sorry, where were we?
trying to find our way back to the garden I think.

Old 8th June 2011, 08:52 PM   #348
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

@gjpogiatzis

Have you reached the truth and if so, how so?

And according to your concept of the truth (not quotes from anyone else please), is it a one time only thing, or do you have to keep going back to the truth for more as time goes on?

I'm not trying to be snarky here, so perhaps you'd be so kind as to answer my questions with no quotes from anyone else.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:08 PM   #349
Larechar
Thinker

Woo! First offs, the reason "God helps those who help themselves," is because none other than the ones who seek those things have ears for them.

In other words, it's pretty useless to post about 'higher' enlightenment to scientists or skeptics or whatever, because this happens

Secondly, going without water during a fast is dangerous at best. Your body needs water to flush out the goings-on when fasting.

That said, I have fasted, and researched it via google, and found some interesting information that I'm not able to cite due to the time crunch I have, but I wanted to share some stuff from an observer's POV, and these are my experiences:

I've done a 10 day fast, an 8 day fast, and a 4 day fast, and will be undergoing a 14 day fast in mid-July.

I fast for detoxification purposes.

My version of fasting is: Lots of water; vitamins for the first 1/2 of the fast, and nothing besides those for the entire duration; coming out of the fast gently with raw and organic produce to, as much as possible, keep the possibility of 'Digestive Luco-Cytosis' out of the realm of possibilities

The body has a lot more energy when deprived of food [NOT WATER!], presumably because the body's digestion takes a lot of energy.

I felt great and had massive amounts of mental energy after day 4 on all cases, but had to be careful about, a)not drinking enough water [terrible headaches, which is your body's way of saying, "EFF you! Give me some lube!"], and b)drinking too much water [too much water 'poisons' your cells due to osmosis or something, which is VERY painful and makes you vomit very strong and almost undiluted stomach acid].

There is a research experiment documented [found it via Google] somewhere about a 1960s [I believe, but may be wrong about the decade] 'Worm Fasting.'
The scientists subjected a worm to fasting until its body began to destroy its necessary compounds and such, then began feeding it again, and so on and so forth repeated the situation. The worm lived nearly 500x as long as the other "Control Worms" in the experiment who had no form of fasting.

And that's just about all the relevant info on fasting I can remember in this short amount of time.
Larechar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 09:39 PM   #350
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Larechar View Post
Woo! First offs, the reason "God helps those who help themselves," is because none other than the ones who seek those things have ears for them.

In other words, it's pretty useless to post about 'higher' enlightenment to scientists or skeptics or whatever, because this happens

Secondly, going without water during a fast is dangerous at best. Your body needs water to flush out the goings-on when fasting.

That said, I have fasted, and researched it via google, and found some interesting information that I'm not able to cite due to the time crunch I have, but I wanted to share some stuff from an observer's POV, and these are my experiences:

I've done a 10 day fast, an 8 day fast, and a 4 day fast, and will be undergoing a 14 day fast in mid-July.

My version of fasting is: Lots of water; vitamins for the first 1/2 of the fast, and nothing besides those for the entire duration; coming out of the fast gently with raw and organic produce to, as much as possible, keep the possibility of 'Digestive Luco-Cytosis' out of the realm of possibilities

The body has a lot more energy when deprived of food [NOT WATER!], presumably because the body's digestion takes a lot of energy.

I felt great and had massive amounts of mental energy after day 4 on all cases, but had to be careful about, a)not drinking enough water [terrible headaches, which is your body's way of saying, "EFF you! Give me some lube!"], and b)drinking too much water [too much water 'poisons' your cells due to osmosis or something, which is VERY painful and makes you vomit very strong and almost undiluted stomach acid].

There is a research experiment documented [found it via Google] somewhere about a 1960s [I believe, but may be wrong about the decade] 'Worm Fasting.'
The scientists subjected a worm to fasting until its body began to destroy its necessary compounds and such, then began feeding it again, and so on and so forth repeated the situation. The worm lived nearly 500x as long as the other "Control Worms" in the experiment who had no form of fasting.

And that's just about all the relevant info on fasting I can remember in this short amount of time.
aha, so that's how it's done.

Old 8th June 2011, 10:59 PM   #351
Larechar
Thinker

aha, so that's how it's done.
Well, that's one way, I'd say! God forbid you to use Yahoo! and not be able to find what I was talking about because I didn't specify, if you were so inclined
Larechar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:16 PM   #352
Sawbones79
Critical Thinker

Digestion requiring energy? To a certain point, yes, but as is rather obvious the net balance is positive. Starvation is actually a well-known way to impair cognitive abilities.
As for "detoxification", one side effect fasting is the initiation of ketosis (basically metabolism of proteins into energy), which in extreme cases can lead to acidosis, a very dangerous condition.
You're right about the risks of excessive water intake though, as an excess of hypo-osmolar fluid can cause brain oedema and death.
I don't think your periods of fasting as described cause you any harm, but I recommend reading up on a textbook on human physiology for a view on how basic human metabolism and digestion works (no snarkiness intended).
Sawbones79 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:34 PM   #353
Joey McGee
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction
Quote:
Caloric restriction is one of the few dietary interventions shown to increase both median and maximum lifespan in a variety of species, among them yeast, fish, rodents and dogs. There are ongoing studies on whether CR works in nonhuman primates, on its effects on human health, and on the metabolic parameters associated with CR in other species. The results so far are positive, but the studies are not yet complete, due to the long lifespan of the species.
It's a whole fad now. People are seriously following CR diets and blogging about them. It's a very interesting phenomenon which much promise. Thing is, how do enjoy life while starving yourself?

Quote:
Among the current studies, one at UCSF, with Nobel laureate Elizabeth Blackburn as part of the investigation team, is looking at long-term CR practitioners, including the psychological factors that keep them motivated to stay on a CR diet
Quote:
The UCSF study is the first to broadly examine the psychological profile of successful extreme dieters, gauging how their cognitive sharpness, impulse control, stress and personality differ from normal eaters and overeaters. ucsf.edu
ah, yeah they bloodly well think of everything these boffins.

Last edited by Joey McGee; 8th June 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:53 PM   #354
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by RossFW View Post
This whole thread so perfectly exemplifies how people intent on finding irrational, fictitious meanings to existence miss out on how wholly satisfying, wonderful and, if they where to experience it, they would describe it as spiritual, the realization of ones place in the real, physical, experiencable universe really is.

Oh, I do soentirely agree.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2011, 11:53 PM   #355
Larechar
Thinker

Originally Posted by Sawbones79 View Post
Digestion requiring energy? To a certain point, yes, but as is rather obvious the net balance is positive. Starvation is actually a well-known way to impair cognitive abilities.
As for "detoxification", one side effect fasting is the initiation of ketosis (basically metabolism of proteins into energy), which in extreme cases can lead to acidosis, a very dangerous condition.
You're right about the risks of excessive water intake though, as an excess of hypo-osmolar fluid can cause brain oedema and death.
I don't think your periods of fasting as described cause you any harm, but I recommend reading up on a textbook on human physiology for a view on how basic human metabolism and digestion works (no snarkiness intended).
Although he's skeptical, Joey McGee cited a great example.

I'm not saying that fasting is the best way to prolong your life-span [although there's nothing bad about it if done well], but I am saying that fasting is a great way to detox a body that's been ingesting toxins for it's whole life [average American diet], like mine has :]

If I were to read that same physiology textbook, [that is, if it contained nutritional information; I've been led to believe by a documentary that almost all American and European MDs learn little to nothing about nutritional studies while schooling] I'm positive it would say that the current dietary habits of most of the world are incredibly detrimental to humans, for one reason or another.

People starving is a terrible thing for the body; but you don't fast through starvation. You start eating once your body's starved of it's necessary nutrients/storehouses.

Originally Posted by Joey McGee
Thing is, how do enjoy life while starving yourself?
You don't need to enjoy it; if you're doing it, you have reasons that go beyond a need for instant gratification, I'd say...
Old 8th June 2011, 11:58 PM   #356
Larechar
Thinker

Originally Posted by RossFW View Post

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
Oh, I do soentirely agree.
I second that, but without the pity.

I'd assume gjpogiatzi's behavior could be classified as, a) a subconsciously Egotistical way to live; or, b) an excited way to live.

Leaning more toward the former, merely because of a Confucius line.

Originally Posted by Confucius
Those who know do not speak; those who speak do not know.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:22 AM   #357
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

I thought the only way to tour de France was clever doping.
make that 'naturally high testosterone ratio' or whatever the excuse de jour is.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2011, 12:36 AM   #358
gjpogiatzis
Scholar

I am "missing out"? Of course I am (for I have until recently been having difficulty disciplining myself enough to deny the flesh's desires so as to attain transcendence, but I am determined to overcome my foolishness), but not more so than any of you fools who have not yet had these kinds of mystical out-of-body experiences I have been describing, which give the key to all reality. Dostoevksy, Brothers Karamazov BkVI.3.g:

"Much on earth is hidden from us, but to make up for that we have been given a precious mystic sense of our living bond with the other world, with the higher heavenly world [Plato's Realm of Forms/Ideas], and the roots of our thoughts and feelings are not here but in other worlds. That is why the philosophers [ex.Plato,Kant] say that we cannot apprehend the reality of things on earth.

"God took seeds from different worlds and sowed them on this earth, and His garden grew up and everything came up that could come up, but what grows lives and is alive only through the feeling of its contact with other mysterious worlds. If that feeling grows weak or is destroyed in you, the heavenly growth will die away in you. Then you will be indifferent to life and even grow to hate it. That's what I think." http://www.classicbookshelf.com/libr..._karamazov/48/

Last edited by gjpogiatzis; 9th June 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:38 AM   #359
Joey McGee
Banned

Although he's skeptical, Joey McGee cited a great example.
You say it like it's a bad thing! I'm radically-minded and adventurous towards natural health just not without conclusive proof.
Quote:
I'm not saying that fasting is the best way to prolong your life-span
It's not that far off, CR is the only thing proven to do so.
Quote:
but I am saying that fasting is a great way to detox a body that's been ingesting toxins for it's whole life [average American diet], like mine has :]
What is your proof for this? This notion isn't well tolerated by science-based medicine.

Quote:
I've been led to believe by a documentary that almost all American and European MDs learn little to nothing about nutritional studies while schooling
was Mike Adams in that documentary? I follow Orac, everyone should. I quote him here
Quote:
In any case, it's ********, plain and simple, that doctors are not taught about nutrition or disease prevention. We are. The difference is that physicians are taught about nutrition and disease prevention based on science and evidence, not based on fairy dust, fantasy, and nonsense
Yikes! What was that documentary called? I bet people like Orac wrote a few reviews

Last edited by Joey McGee; 9th June 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:50 AM   #360
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow. Stupid brain.

I read "only way to tour de France: out-of-body experience."
Woot, I am glad I am not the only one to have read it that way. I was coming from the other France thread & advertising though.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy