IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bible , buddhism , christianity , god , hinduism , islam , jesus

Old 28th May 2011, 02:05 PM   #1
gjpogiatzis
Scholar

Exclamation "The Word"/Reason/Wisdom, not "Jesus" in the usual sense, is The Way to Salvation/God

the real lovers of God do not belong to any particular religion, for all the religions have the same fundamental teachings on the nature of God & how one becomes like God in respect to wisdom, love, joy, etc. When Jesus says "I am the Way...no way to the Father but through Me"-John14:6 you should remember the context: Jesus is "The Word/Reason/Wisdom" made flesh -John1:1,1:14.

"WISDOM is a tree of life."-Proverbs3:18
The way to not perish & succeed in all is to "delight" & "meditate in the Law of the Lord day & night." -Psalm 1. i.e.LOVE GOD w/all your mind
"Blessed are they that keep the commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life."-Rev.22:14

The Tao te Ching, which has many strange echoes of Jesus's sayings, like "go low to be on top"//"he who humbles himself will be exalted": http://wayist.org/ttc%20compared/indexchp.htm. "Tao" can be translated as "The Word".

Notice also there is a "Word" in Hinduism-OM- that is said to be incarnate in the form of a god Krishna that remarkably resembles Christ, and meditating on which can save u from all ills (for the vibrations of the sound create energy in the body, which is needed to save u from the kinds of threats that King David was faced with daily, as seen in the Psalms): http://www.atmajyoti.org/me_word_that_is_god_0.asp http://www.christInUs.org/Download5.html

HowAttainTheMostFulfilledLife & Be SAVED FromAllEvils&God'sWrath?
-"WhateverUDo,DoAllForTheGloryOfGod."-1Cor.10:31 i.e.ofThe"AllInAll"(Col.3:11),whichIncludesYoursel f. //"ThoseWhoDelightInTheGoodOfAll CreaturesAttainThePureCalmOfInfinity."-BhagavadGita5.25(HinduBible). "WhateverUDo,DoAsAnOfferingToMe"-Krishna(whoRemarkablyResemblesChrist&IsAlsoDescrib edAsThe"AllInAll"),BhagavadGita9.27. "DoOnlyNECESSARYAction"-Bh.Gita
-‎"everMEDITATEonTheBuddha(i.e.TheWISEone),VIRTUE,& theSAINTS."-Dhammapada http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Dhammapada.html. Psalm1:"HisDELIGHTIsInTheLawOfTheLord,&InItDoesHe MEDITATE day&Night...HeWillSUCCEEDinAllHeDoes!TheUngodlyAre NotSo,&WillNotStandW/TheRighteous."
-RAPTURE synonyms: HEAVEN, NIRVANA, TRANCE. Blondie's song "Rapture": "barely breathing, almost comatose" "I was caught up ["RAPTURED"] to third heaven, whether in or OUT OF THE BODY, I know not" (2 Cor. 12:1) Bible's ultimate Prize: "inherit the kingdom," be "a name & a praise/FAME in all the earth" (Zeph. 3:20) like musical bands like Blondie. In the Phaedo, Plato says THE ONLY WAY TO GAIN TRUE KNOWLEDGE IS TO SEPARATE SOUL FROM BODY (OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE)

For more on the unity of all religions, see many of the posts on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1598178443, and send me a friend request if you wish. I have studied the Bible as well as the texts of the world's major religions & philosophies for countless hours over several years, especially in the last year and a half during which I have isolated myself like a monk from everyone in order to seek wisdom all day every day.
"FEWfindTheRoadToLife."144000 elect. "Seek the kingdom & his righteousness" -Mt.6:36."God will withhold NO GOOD THING from him that walks uprightly!"-Ps.84:11
"LoveGodw/ALL your mind, heart, soul, & strength: the great commandment."-Matt.22:36 loveGod=love"theAllinAll"-Col.3:11
"His delight is in the law of the Lord, &in his Law does he meditate all day & night...He will succeed in all he does! The ungodly are not so,&will be as the chaff that the wind blows away."-Psalm 1

Last edited by gjpogiatzis; 28th May 2011 at 03:17 PM.
gjpogiatzis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 02:10 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

There is only one Word:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Word up!
Old 28th May 2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Sun Countess
Appearance of intelligence

I thought Bird was the Word?
Sun Countess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
HowAttainMostFulfilledLife & Be SAVED FromAllEvils&God'sWrath?
-"WhateverUDo,DoAllForTheGloryOfGod."-1Cor.10:31 i.e.ofThe"AllInAll"(Col.3:11),whichIncldesYrslf. //"ThoseWhoDelightInTheGoodOfAll CreaturesAttainThePureCalmOfInfinity."-BhagavadGita5.25(HinduBible). "WhateverUDo,DoAsAnOfferingToMe"-Krishna(whoRmrkblyRsmblesChrist&IsAlsoDescribedAsT he"AllInAll"),Bh.Gita9.27. "DoOnlyNECESSARYAction"-Bh.Gita
-‎"everMEDITATEonTheBuddha(i.e.TheWISEone),VIR TUE,& theSAINTS."-Dhammapada http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Dhammapada.html. Psalm1:"HisDELIGHTIsInTheLawOfTheLord,&InItDoesHeM EDITATEday&Night...HeWillSUCCEEDinAllHeDoes!TheUng odlyRNotSo,&WillNotStandW/TheRghteous."
-RAPTURE synonyms: HEAVEN, NIRVANA, TRANCE. Blondie: "barely breathing, almost comatose" "I was caught up ["RAPTURED"] to third heaven, whether in or OUT OF THE BODY, I know not" (2 Cor. 12:1) Bible's ultimatePrize: "a name & a praise/FAME in all the earth" (Zeph. 3:20) like Blondie. In the Phaedo, Plato says THE ONLY WAY TO GAIN TRUE KNOWLEDGE IS TO SEPARATE SOUL FROM BODY (OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE)
Please don't type your unedited notes directly into forum posts. Take the time to spell them out into proper, easy-to-understand English. This makes it far easier for people to understand you and take you seriously.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Please don't type your unedited notes directly into forum posts. Take the time to spell them out into proper, easy-to-understand English. This makes it far easier for people to understand you and take you seriously.
seconded.
Old 28th May 2011, 03:22 PM   #6
sadhatter
Philosopher

Wow some more gibberish, rockin.

OR

I'll do you one better, i have two words for ya...
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

No, Grease is the word.
Old 28th May 2011, 03:42 PM   #8
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gjpogiatzis View Post
....I have studied the Bible as well as the texts of the world's major religions & philosophies for countless hours over several years, especially in the last year and a half during which I have isolated myself like a monk from everyone in order to seek wisdom all day every day.....
Hey dude, it's spring. Time for some fresh air. The lilacs are out.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Verde
Muse

The Word

There is only one Word:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...-symbol-minded

V.
Verde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Sun Countess
Appearance of intelligence

I have studied the Bible as well as the texts of the world's major religions & philosophies for countless hours over several years, especially in the last year and a half during which I have isolated myself like a monk from everyone in order to seek wisdom all day every day.
But alas, you didn't find any. I hope you remembered to water the plants.
Sun Countess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 04:15 PM   #11
dafydd
Banned

the real lovers of God do not belong to any particular religion, for all the religions have the same fundamental teachings on the nature of God & how one becomes like God in respect to wisdom, love, joy, etc. When Jesus says "I am the Way...no way to the Father but through Me"-John14:6 you should remember the context: Jesus is "The Word/Reason/Wisdom" made flesh -John1:1,1:14.

The way to not perish & succeed in all is to "delight" & "meditate in the Law of the Lord day & night." -Psalm 1. i.e.LOVE GOD w/all your mind
"Blessed are they that keep the commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life."-Rev.22:14

The Tao te Ching, which has many strange echoes of Jesus's sayings, like "go low to be on top"//"he who humbles himself will be exalted": http://wayist.org/ttc%20compared/indexchp.htm. "Tao" can be translated as "The Word".

Notice also there is a "Word" in Hinduism-OM- that is said to be incarnate in the form of a god Krishna that remarkably resembles Christ, and meditating on which can save u from all ills (for the vibrations of the sound create energy in the body, which is needed to save u from the kinds of threats that King David was faced with daily, as seen in the Psalms): http://www.atmajyoti.org/me_word_that_is_god_0.asp http://www.christInUs.org/Download5.html

-"WhateverUDo,DoAllForTheGloryOfGod."-1Cor.10:31 i.e.ofThe"AllInAll"(Col.3:11),whichIncludesYoursel f. //"ThoseWhoDelightInTheGoodOfAll CreaturesAttainThePureCalmOfInfinity."-BhagavadGita5.25(HinduBible). "WhateverUDo,DoAsAnOfferingToMe"-Krishna(whoRemarkablyResemblesChrist&IsAlsoDescrib edAsThe"AllInAll"),BhagavadGita9.27. "DoOnlyNECESSARYAction"-Bh.Gita
-‎"everMEDITATEonTheBuddha(i.e.TheWISEone),VIRTUE,& theSAINTS."-Dhammapada http://www.fullbooks.com/The-Dhammapada.html. Psalm1:"HisDELIGHTIsInTheLawOfTheLord,&InItDoesHe MEDITATE day&Night...HeWillSUCCEEDinAllHeDoes!TheUngodlyAre NotSo,&WillNotStandW/TheRighteous."
-RAPTURE synonyms: HEAVEN, NIRVANA, TRANCE. Blondie's song "Rapture": "barely breathing, almost comatose" "I was caught up ["RAPTURED"] to third heaven, whether in or OUT OF THE BODY, I know not" (2 Cor. 12:1) Bible's ultimate Prize: "inherit the kingdom," be "a name & a praise/FAME in all the earth" (Zeph. 3:20) like musical bands like Blondie. In the Phaedo, Plato says THE ONLY WAY TO GAIN TRUE KNOWLEDGE IS TO SEPARATE SOUL FROM BODY (OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE)

For more on the unity of all religions, see many of the posts on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1598178443, and send me a friend request if you wish. I have studied the Bible as well as the texts of the world's major religions & philosophies for countless hours over several years, especially in the last year and a half during which I have isolated myself like a monk from everyone in order to seek wisdom all day every day.
"FEWfindTheRoadToLife."144000 elect. "Seek the kingdom & his righteousness" -Mt.6:36."God will withhold NO GOOD THING from him that walks uprightly!"-Ps.84:11
"LoveGodw/ALL your mind, heart, soul, & strength: the great commandment."-Matt.22:36 loveGod=love"theAllinAll"-Col.3:11
"His delight is in the law of the Lord, &in his Law does he meditate all day & night...He will succeed in all he does! The ungodly are not so,&will be as the chaff that the wind blows away."-Psalm 1
Is that alphabet soup supposed to mean something?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2011, 04:16 PM   #12
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Sun Countess View Post
I thought Bird was the Word?
All hail the Trashmen!!!
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 04:37 AM   #13
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

No, no, no... The word is "legs". Spread the word
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 04:44 AM   #14
dafydd
Banned

The Beatles said that the word is love,but they were stoned at the time. The Bee Gees said it was grease,but they were just awful.

Last edited by dafydd; 30th May 2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 30th May 2011, 04:52 AM   #15
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

I have heard the word, and the word is "Daemon".

(Kudos to anyone who catches the ref)

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

... for the vibrations of the sound create energy in the body ...

You have that backwards.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:48 PM   #17
gjpogiatzis
Scholar

actually "The Word" is LOVE, as the Beatles say, for "God" (what rules the universe) is LOVE. So it could be equally said that LOVE is the Way to Salvation/God. "Blessed are they that keep his commandments [which boil down to LOVE for all things], that they may have the right to the tree of life."-Revelation 22:14.

Here is a short video I made on Plato's Symposium, in which Diotima teaches that to come to know God "The Beautiful Itself" "the Highest MYSTERY" and live the life most worth living, you must follow the "ladder of love" by falling in LOVE with, in this order, all beautiful: bodies, souls/minds, pursuits/laws (like Psalm 1 speaks of always delighting in the "law" of the Lord), and studies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHVIhHb92I

Last edited by gjpogiatzis; 30th May 2011 at 12:52 PM.
gjpogiatzis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

actually "The Word" is LOVE, as the Beatles say, for "God" (what rules the universe) is LOVE. So it could be equally said that LOVE is the Way to Salvation/God. "Blessed are they that keep his commandments [which boil down to LOVE for all things], that they may have the right to the tree of life."-Revelation 22:14.

Here is a short video I made on Plato's Symposium, in which Diotima teaches that to come to know God "The Beautiful Itself" "the Highest MYSTERY" and live the life most worth living, you must follow the "ladder of love" by falling in LOVE with, in this order, all beautiful: bodies, souls/minds, pursuits/laws (like Psalm 1 speaks of always delighting in the "law" of the Lord), and studies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHVIhHb92I
I tried watching it but had to give up because the music and poor sound quality made it too difficult to hear what was being said.

1) if all religions are based on love, why do so many religious people passionately hate people of other religions?

2) after the unifying nature of God's Love is recognized and people accept it, how will women be treated (i.e. will they be equals or not)? Follow up question, how will homosexuals be treated?

3) after the unifying nature of God's Love is recognized and people accept it, will the gap between the wealthiest and the poorest remain at current levels? If not, will any narrowing be voluntary or will government taxes be a factor?
Old 30th May 2011, 01:19 PM   #19
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Since the tao te ching was written around six hundred years before Jesus was a gleam in Yaweh's eye, I would agree it's some very strange echoes going on.

But hey, don't let that stop your ramblings... onward Christian Soldier!
Old 30th May 2011, 01:31 PM   #20
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, that's incorrect too. The "tao" or "dao" actually means literally the "way" or the "path." While the word has many nuances and meanings acquired by extension, none of them is properly "love".
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 01:36 PM   #21
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
While the word has many nuances and meanings acquired by extension, none of them is properly "love".
Or, for that matter, "word".
Old 30th May 2011, 01:39 PM   #22
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Wisdom is fleeting. try sex.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 02:22 PM   #23
Ysidro
I'm watching you

I thought everyone had heard about a certain ornithological matter....
Old 30th May 2011, 02:50 PM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by X View Post
I have heard the word, and the word is "Daemon".

(Kudos to anyone who catches the ref)
The smart money (okay, the crazy money) is on Hexadecimal. She has style.
Old 30th May 2011, 03:53 PM   #25
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Or, for that matter, "word".
Indeed. That was even the more relevant part, but I can be a bit of a scatterbrain at times.
Old 30th May 2011, 04:12 PM   #26
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

That said, I really don't get some people's getting some kind of a mystical hard-on when they run into some abstract concept.

I mean, I can imagine the awe of some ancients when trying (and failing) to figure out stuff like "word" or "wisdom", but I'd have thought we're all a bit more educated by now. But every now and then I see such cases where someone runs into such a word (or stuff like oscillations) and goes all in awe, like a kid who discovered for the first time that it splashes if you hit a puddle with a stick.

I mean, wth, we know how words work. We even have the whole linguistics theory to synthesise speech, understand speech with a program, and even recently build computers which invent their own language to communicate new concepts with each other. We got the whole phonemes and harmonics so well understood that someone even managed to crack the Skype encryption by narrowing down what kind of signal they'd expect in English.

Words are hardly some awe-inspiring mystery any more. There is nothing mystical or divine about them, unlike for the ancients.

And actually I'm insulting the ancients there, because even then enough people didn't really have a fascination with "the word."

E.g., for the ancient Greeks the Logos as mentioned by John (you know, "the word") had long ceased to mean primarily "word" by John's time. They used "lexis" when they actually wanted to mean literally "word". The Logos is the root word for Logic, and was more like supposed to be the "reason" and order that keeps the world working as it does. That's the Logos that the Greeks and Romans were interested in.

E.g., what makes the planets go in epicycles around the Earth? Why do they move at all, for that matter? Why does the sky slowly rotate over millennia? That's the kind of Divine Logos they were interested in, not some fascination with the concept of the word. Much less with nonsensical word salads like the OP.

And we call that "science" in the meantime. We know why the planets move. We know why that precession happens. Anyone who's interested in Divine Logos can just pick a science book.
Old 30th May 2011, 04:18 PM   #27
Lowpro
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The smart money (okay, the crazy money) is on Hexadecimal. She has style.
Wait wait wait, what that a Reboot reference? I haven't seen that show since it aired on Cartoon Network.
Old 30th May 2011, 04:51 PM   #28
devnull
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ysidro View Post
I thought everyone had heard about a certain ornithological matter....
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 05:00 PM   #29
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Snip
TLDR

Salvation from what?
Old 30th May 2011, 06:18 PM   #30
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Maurice Ledifficile View Post
TLDR

Salvation from what?
From God.

See, he loves us sooooo much that when we disappoint him he wants to mash our faces off. And he's God, so damn right we need salvation from that...

I'm just not sure that God would be my first choice for saviour, as it looks like a bit of a conflict of interest for him.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2011, 06:29 PM   #31
Maurice Ledifficile
Lost in translation

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
From God.

See, he loves us sooooo much that when we disappoint him he wants to mash our faces off. And he's God, so damn right we need salvation from that...

I'm just not sure that God would be my first choice for saviour, as it looks like a bit of a conflict of interest for him.
Since the world appears to be running exactly the same way it would without outside intervention, I'll continue pretending I don't need salvation. I don't want an eternity of worshipping that jerk anyway. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 1st June 2011, 02:04 AM   #32
gjpogiatzis
Scholar

in all religions, "salvation" is from suffering & "sin". But what "sin" is and what "good" is is the big mystery. Socrates was the wisest b/c he knew he knew nothing and was inquiring about the "good" everyday.

the word "salvation" in Greek is related to the word "safe"; in the Psalms, King David is constantly praising God for "saving" him from "the bloody man," "the lion's mouth," etc. All might seem quiet on the western front now! But "when they say peace, peace, sudden destruction."-1Thess.5:3. So I urge you friends "boast not of tomorrow, you know not what the day may bring."-Pro.27:1. Marcus Aurelius states that the chief virtue is to live each day as if it is your last. What is your priority in life? Socrates says there is NO BETTER THING than to examine himself and others about GOODNESS & all the other subjects of which he speaks in Plato's Dialogues, and that "life without this sort of examination is not worth living." Seek "WISDOM-a tree of life."-Pro.3:18 New Age=Age of HarryPotters/Batmans/Vampires/Werewolves like in "Twilight." "Seek meekness & RIGHTEOUSNESS that ye may be hid in the day of the Lord's anger."-Zeph.2:3 "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling."-Phil.2:12
Old 1st June 2011, 02:12 AM   #33
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

Seek help.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:28 AM   #34
Sawbones79
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
Seek help.
Seconded. If you are in fact correct in your great unified theological thesis, there are far better venues to tote it. If you're (as the mass of text kind of implies) delusional or in a manic state, see a doctor.
Sawbones79 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:31 AM   #35
dafydd
Banned

in all religions, "salvation" is from suffering & "sin". But what "sin" is and what "good" is is the big mystery. Socrates was the wisest b/c he knew he knew nothing and was inquiring about the "good" everyday.

the word "salvation" in Greek is related to the word "safe"; in the Psalms, King David is constantly praising God for "saving" him from "the bloody man," "the lion's mouth," etc. All might seem quiet on the western front now! But "when they say peace, peace, sudden destruction."-1Thess.5:3. So I urge you friends "boast not of tomorrow, you know not what the day may bring."-Pro.27:1. Marcus Aurelius states that the chief virtue is to live each day as if it is your last. What is your priority in life? Socrates says there is NO BETTER THING than to examine himself and others about GOODNESS & all the other subjects of which he speaks in Plato's Dialogues, and that "life without this sort of examination is not worth living." Seek "WISDOM-a tree of life."-Pro.3:18 New Age=Age of HarryPotters/Batmans/Vampires/Werewolves like in "Twilight." "Seek meekness & RIGHTEOUSNESS that ye may be hid in the day of the Lord's anger."-Zeph.2:3 "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling."-Phil.2:12
Ask god to help you with your orthography. You will get nowhere here by quoting the holey babble at us.

Last edited by dafydd; 1st June 2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 1st June 2011, 02:32 AM   #36
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I would like to enter a dialogue - see post #18.

Are you here to discuss things or are you here to lecture us?

ETA: follow up question: is New Age stuff good? bad? both? neither? helpful? sinful? salvational? dangerous? enlightening? endarkening? what??

Last edited by Ladewig; 1st June 2011 at 02:59 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 02:56 AM   #37
Lamuella
Master Poster

the real lovers of God do not belong to any particular religion
do "the real lovers of god" define anyone who doesn't agree with them as not real lovers of god?
Lamuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 03:28 AM   #38
DC
Banned

gjpogiatzis is God's lover?
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2011, 04:56 AM   #39
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Lamuella View Post
do "the real lovers of god" define anyone who doesn't agree with them as not real lovers of god?
Which god? Mankind has invented rather a lot of them. I won't bore you with the full list.
Old 1st June 2011, 04:57 AM   #40
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

ETA: follow up question: is New Age stuff good? bad? both? neither? helpful? sinful? salvational? dangerous? enlightening? endarkening? what??
New Age=Nebulous nonsense.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy