IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Gaetan
Banned

What the Holy Spirit does

New American Standard Bible

John 14.25 “These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit help us against the threats of other spirits, teach us, and have us remember what we forget. The Holy Spirit is our companion in our life and we shall not forget to be grateful and say tanks to him.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

He doesn't exist, so he does none of that.
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:58 AM   #3
AvalonXQ

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post

John 14.25 “These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit help us against the threats of other spirits, teach us, and have us remember what we forget. The Holy Spirit is our companion in our life and we shall not forget to be grateful and say tanks to him.
I agree. The Spirit is an important part of our day-to-day lives, and is God. We should not forget His equal place in our lives and worship.
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:59 AM   #4
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

I ain't afraid of no ghost.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Good thing 'cause our posts are touching.
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Lothian
should be banned

What the Holy Spirit does.

He rapes virgins.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

oops!
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Maddparrot
Student

Umm, okay.
Mk II Matilda, Panzer III, M26 Pershing, Char 2C, PT-76, M1A2 Abrams.

I do feel a bit silly saying anything to a mythical figure.
Maddparrot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:12 AM   #9
AvalonXQ

Originally Posted by Maddparrot View Post
Umm, okay.
Surely He deserves more tanks than that.

He's a helper for 2000 years, and that's the tanks that He gets?
AvalonXQ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:15 AM   #10
kbm99
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Maddparrot View Post
Umm, okay.

I do feel a bit silly saying anything to a mythical figure.
*Someone's* been playing World of Tanks too much . . .
kbm99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Fine, when the Holy Spirit speaks to me I will listen.

Until then I refuse to pretend to have beliefs I do not actually have. After all, isn't lying a sin? Wouldn't lying about your relationship with and belief in God be the biggest sin imaginable?
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Maddparrot
Student

Originally Posted by AvalonXQ View Post
Surely He deserves more tanks than that.

He's a helper for 2000 years, and that's the tanks that He gets?
Well, I did not want a post bogged down by a large list of tanks.

Originally Posted by kbm99 View Post
*Someone's* been playing World of Tanks too much . . .
Metal Saga, an RPG where you go about the world in tanks.
Maddparrot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I had always thought that the Holy Spirit's job was to help make monotheism acceptable to pagans who were used to a trinity of gods. Pagans wanted to worship three things; early christians had two at best; they invented a third god.

I had never heard any historical evidence that the Holy Spirit had any purpose beyond that.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:25 AM   #14
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
Fine, when the Holy Spirit speaks to me I will listen.

Holy Spirit is old fashioned -- wants you to make the first move.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Aitch

What the Holy Spirit does...

...gives you a righteous hangover?
Aitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:44 AM   #16
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Holy Spirit does exactly nothing, which is exactly what you'd expect from a non-existent entity.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:01 AM   #17
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

"Denying the Holy Spirit" is apparently one of the worst things you can do.

I DENY THE HOLY SPIRIT!

*waits to be struck dead by the wrath of Heaven*

Nah, move on. There's nothing to see here.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:02 AM   #18
kedo1981
Master Poster

Provide Christians with made up justifications to proceed with their own desires.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:07 AM   #19
Sun Countess
Appearance of intelligence

Why does it seem that only believers are threatened by spirits? I have never been threatened by any spirits, and I have not been touched by any holy spirits.
Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
He rapes virgins.
Oh yes. Which is why he apparently deserves a lot of praise. Maybe not as much as that genocidal misogynistic homophobe of a father/triplet, but apparently, raping virgins merits respect in some circles.

eta: The holy spirit is also said to guide believers in their proper understanding of the scriptrues, but he doesn't seem to send a consistent message.
Sun Countess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:32 AM   #20
dafydd
Banned

Ardbeg Corryvreckan whisky is the holy spirit.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:33 AM   #21
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Alice Shortcake View Post
"Denying the Holy Spirit" is apparently one of the worst things you can do.

I DENY THE HOLY SPIRIT!

*waits to be struck dead by the wrath of Heaven*

Nah, move on. There's nothing to see here.
I TOO DENY THE HOLY SPIRIT!!!!....... no,nobody there. Next fairytale please.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:36 AM   #22
NavyPack
Scholar

Should we be calling it a "he"?

I know it impregnated the tween-aged girl, but wasn't it just transporting goddafadder's own special-formula, (man & ~man) making sperm?
NavyPack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:41 AM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Tell you what. Why don't you find us the most uneducated, backwoods, ignorant hick Pentacostal (have seizures, flop of floor speak in tongues, sort of Christian Sufi's) you can get. I'm talking about real salt of the earth morons. Have them get overcome by your spirit thingy. Then we'll have them read a passage from the bible written in say Amharic or ancient Greek. We'll see if this spirit performs as advertised.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:12 PM   #24
TimCallahan
Philosopher

I agree. The Spirit is an important part of our day-to-day lives, and is God. We should not forget His equal place in our lives and worship.
Okay, how would you demonstrate the existence of such an entity? How would you go about demonstrating how the world's history reflects the protection of the Holy Spirit?
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:22 PM   #25
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

So why does this "holy spirit" tell one man one thing and the other guy something else entirely? Maybe he ought to take a break and get his story straight first.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Cool story, bro.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:40 PM   #27
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I have my own vision of the Trinity hanging in Heaven...
GTF (Daddy) and JC are playing chess. Through a Miracle Of Faith... Neither one ever looses, they both win every game.
The little flappy dove guy flutters around their heads, offering pithy advice.
"Pawn to Q7 check! Pawn to Q7 check!"
He has a rather squawky parrot-like voice.
Eternal bliss.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:43 PM   #28
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

"Our"?
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:51 PM   #29
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Holy Spirit is old fashioned -- wants you to make the first move.
But then I would have to pretend that I believe, and that would be lying! And lying's a sin, and the Holy Spirit will not approach a sinful person!

Hmm, I think we have a problem here.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:56 PM   #30
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

I think the Holy Spirit's job is to watch us masturbate.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
As long as the holy spirit is a she, is hot, and is willing to occasionally assist me on that endeavor, I do not complain.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:02 PM   #32
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NavyPack View Post
Should we be calling it a "he"?

I know it impregnated the tween-aged girl, but wasn't it just transporting goddafadder's own special-formula, (man & ~man) making sperm?

You may be right, you really can't tell if it's a he or she under the sheet.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/shop/holy_trinity.html
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:43 PM   #33
Dunstan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I had always thought that the Holy Spirit's job was to help make monotheism acceptable to pagans who were used to a trinity of gods. Pagans wanted to worship three things; early christians had two at best; they invented a third god.
Not that I'm terribly familiar with paganism, but that's a new one on me. Any sources?

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Ardbeg Corryvreckan whisky is the holy spirit.
It's certainly "a" holy one. I'm not sure I'd put it above Lagavulin, but it is damn heavenly.
Dunstan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:06 PM   #34
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Doncha just love drive-by postings?
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:20 PM   #35
AvalonXQ

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
You're thinking of Ceiling Cat. Easy mistake.
Old 22nd June 2011, 04:09 PM   #36
dio
Thinker

The Holy Spirit help us against the threats of other spirits, teach us, and have us remember what we forget.

Ah, the good old Christian principle of dumping your guilt on somebody else, now improved to cover not only your actions, but your thoughts also.

Bad thoughts? It's the "other spirits."

Good thoughts? That's the Holy Spirit.

I'm mildly curious, what exactly did the Holy Spirit teach you?
dio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 04:18 PM   #37
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dio View Post
I'm mildly curious, what exactly did the Holy Spirit teach you?

Maybe this.
Old 22nd June 2011, 04:26 PM   #38
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Tell you what. Why don't you find us the most uneducated, backwoods, ignorant hick Pentacostal (have seizures, flop of floor speak in tongues, sort of Christian Sufi's) you can get. I'm talking about real salt of the earth morons. Have them get overcome by your spirit thingy. Then we'll have them read a passage from the bible written in say Amharic or ancient Greek. We'll see if this spirit performs as advertised.
That's actually a really good idea.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:58 PM   #39
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

You atheist sure are fun(ny)!

Originally Posted by Manopolus View Post
So why does this "holy spirit" tell one man one thing and the other guy something else entirely? Maybe he ought to take a break and get his story straight first.
The holy spirit works through the unconscious mind.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 06:05 PM   #40
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
The holy spirit works through the unconscious mind.
how?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy