ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2018 elections

Old 19th September 2018, 05:36 PM   #481
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Does Cruz just think that Texas Republicans are that gullible and stupid, or does he know for a fact that they are?
I don't know how gullible Texas Republicans are, but ISF "skeptics" appear to be pretty gullible if they think Cruz was being serious.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 06:12 PM   #482
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I don't know how gullible Texas Republicans are, but ISF "skeptics" appear to be pretty gullible if they think Cruz was being serious.

You're claiming Cruz has a sense of humor?

Evidence?

And remember, you're talking about the same voters who spent eight years convinced that Obama was going to take away all their guns.

If they thought that was just a joke then the gun sales wouldn't have skyrocketed the way they did both times he won.

Last edited by quadraginta; 19th September 2018 at 06:15 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2018, 06:15 PM   #483
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You're claiming Cruz has a sense of humor?

Evidence?
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/920709146789515272
Old 19th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #484
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I agree, but his problem is that he is not a funny person. and his followers are not funny people. So, it becomes hard to tell when they are looking and they even have a hard time telling themselves when they are joking. So, while he may have been joking, I bet my mother-in-law beloved him. Also, I bet his wife dyes her hair.
Typo?

I'm pretty sure Cruz dyes his hair as well, he's just not as obvious about it as Trump.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 11:06 AM   #485
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Typo?
Yes, but I think it still works . . . sort of?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Cruz dyes his hair as well, he's just not as obvious about it as Trump.
It just seemed a weird thing to complain about. I mean hair dye has been popular in Texas since before Cruz moved here from Alberta, CA.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 11:11 AM   #486
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
That is pretty damn funny.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 03:48 PM   #487
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Interesting internal Republican polling on the tax cuts:

Quote:
A survey commissioned by the Republican National Committee has led the party to a glum conclusion regarding President Donald Trump’s signature legislative achievement: Voters overwhelmingly believe his tax overhaul helps the wealthy instead of average Americans.

By a 2-to-1 margin -- 61 percent to 30 percent -- respondents said the law benefits “large corporations and rich Americans” over “middle class families,” according to the survey, which was completed on Sept. 2 by the GOP firm Public Opinion Strategies and obtained by Bloomberg News.

The result was fueled by self-identified independent voters who said by a 36-point margin that large corporations and rich Americans benefit more from the tax law -- a result that was even more lopsided among Democrats. Republican voters said by a 38-point margin that the middle class benefits more.

When it comes to approval for the tax overhaul, American voters remain torn -- 44 percent favor it and 45 percent oppose it.

“Voters are evenly divided on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act,” the RNC-commissioned report said. “But, we’ve lost the messaging battle on the issue.”
Linky.
Old 20th September 2018, 04:50 PM   #488
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, in Florida, a major DeSantis donor says about Pres Obama:
**** the Muslim ******! Oh, but he didn't mean it.
Autocensor safe version: Eff the Muslim N-word. His bold.
Screenshot here, lots more in the thread.
And then there's his wife, who appeared at a Republican Women's group alongside this idiot. Birther, Bircher, really a jack-of-all-conspiracies.
Mrs. DeSantis (I strongly suspect she wouldn't prefer "Ms.") can and probably will blame it on the group who invited him. And what does that say about their party?
But hey, it's not all bad for DeSantis! Just for his party[/url].
Old 20th September 2018, 04:58 PM   #489
kellyb
Philosopher

That guy's whole public persona as an evangelical christian genuinely worried about the threat of stuff like "the war on christmas" is totally fraudulent. Politicians like him hold their constituents in utter contempt.

Stuff like this is the real him. Yes, he was kind of joking here, but also kinda not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-vG_TdOT4
Old 20th September 2018, 06:08 PM   #490
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Collins, under indictment for violating insider trading laws (blatantly and poorly), has decided to begin actively campaigning again.

He's a stupid and vile criminal who has the audacity to say he must be reelected to keep the 'radical left' from implementing 'Canadian style healthcare' as if it were a bad thing, in a city that can see how much better that works by looking across the Peace Bridge.

He'll be reelected.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #491
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Chris Collins, under indictment for violating insider trading laws (blatantly and poorly), has decided to begin actively campaigning again.

He's a stupid and vile criminal who has the audacity to say he must be reelected to keep the 'radical left' from implementing 'Canadian style healthcare' as if it were a bad thing, in a city that can see how much better that works by looking across the Peace Bridge.

He'll be reelected.
He might not get re-elected. Single payer now has majority support among Republicans, too:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...e-for-all.html
Quote:
On Thursday, Reuters-Ipsos released a poll that shows (what I believe to be) an unprecedented level of support for Medicare for All, the American left’s brand-name for a single-payer, national health-insurance plan. The survey found a whopping 70 percent support for the proposal, with 84.5 percent of Democrats — and 51 percent of Republicans — voicing their approval.
I think Frank Luntz's messaging about Obamacare being a "massive big government takeover of healthcare!" has made it to where they can't really effectively fearmonger about "socialized medicine" any more. It just doesn't work like it did a decade ago.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:38 PM   #492
kellyb
Philosopher

Interesting internal Republican polling on the tax cuts:

Linky.

Quote:
“But, we’ve lost the messaging battle on the issue.”
I think the GOP establishment has "lost the messaging battle" on pretty much all the issues besides abortion. That's why the party loyalists voted for Donald Trump and not Cruz or Jeb.

The GOP cannot "message" their way out of people being onto them as the party of making the rich richer as their raison d'être.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics