ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 8th September 2018, 03:00 PM   #3201
DennyT
Illuminator

Anyone seen this book by Sharon Hill?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 03:18 PM   #3202
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
Anyone seen this book by Sharon Hill?
Heard about it; haven't read it. I assume it exposes the pseudoscientific methods of most woo-slingers, but I wonder if the "scientifical" NAWACers get any mentions.

Bill Donohue
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 10:59 AM   #3203
DennyT
Illuminator

From from I can see she is critical of academics who encourage pseudoscience. If so Don Jeff would have to be at the top of that list. Amirong?
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2018, 11:05 AM   #3204
DennyT
Illuminator

Hot shot Sloan Kettering cancer doctor hasn’t been disclosing his financial ties to industry.
Wonder if anthropologists are bound by financial disclosure rules? Hmmmm. Meldrum’s dog and pony shows/book signings for the rubes might pass muster but movie appearances not so much.
Old 12th September 2018, 10:20 AM   #3205
DennyT
Illuminator

From from I can see she is critical of academics who encourage pseudoscience. If so Don Jeff would have to be at the top of that list. Amirong?
Quote:
We are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen...
—-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12th September 2018, 10:55 AM   #3206
DennyT
Illuminator

In the 2007 paper
http://wwwDOTfloridabigfootDOTcom/wp...NAHominoid.pdf
Meldrum writes:
Quote:
Type Material: Holotype: Preserved portion of Patterson-Gimlin
trackway, with Smithsonian Institution (SI) specimen 390041, left pes rubber mold and duplicate cast and SI 390042, right pes duplicate cast, representing left and right feet respectively.
Additional material relevant to the holotype: An additional 10 casts from the site, eight of these comprise SI 390043-50 (CA-11-18), including molds for SI 390047 and SI 390050.
As was pointed out in a critical piece, he doesn’t have “a preserved portion of Patterson-Gimlin trackway.” He also doesn’t have the original casts.

The “additional material relevant to the holotype” idea? In the abstract he seems to say something different: “The initial pair, originally cast by Patterson, and the remaining casts made by Titmus, are designated the holotype...”

(Holotype – a single specimen expressly designated as the name-bearing “type” by the original author of the species.)

Discuss...

Last edited by DennyT; 12th September 2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12th September 2018, 12:31 PM   #3207
Drewbot
Philosopher

His response is: I am not naming the species, only the tracks.

Science's response is: You can't use a cast of an animal's work to do that either.

His response is: They had no problem with it in the paper about the human trackway found in South America, so it's ok for me to do it here.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 01:17 PM   #3208
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

..."The initial pair, originally cast by Patterson, and the remaining casts made by Titmus, are designated the holotype...”

(Holotype – a single specimen expressly designated as the name-bearing “type” by the original author of the species.)

Discuss...
And of course they're the "holotype" because they can't show you the actual beast that made them or the jig would be up. He's a little different looking than the big hairy beast they're selling. He's a scrawnier, shorter, more devious kind of animal.

The 'tell' that it's all a ruse is the fact Meldrum, a supposedly credentialed college science professor, not only allows such a thing to occur - holotype-by-proxy basically - but is also its biggest promoter. I doubt you'd get very many scientists in the entire country to agree on using only the traces of an animal to identify/classify and otherwise recognize it as a new species. And not just a new species of field mouse, it's a new species that would otherwise change mankind, if it were real.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 02:17 PM   #3209
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

Science's response is: You can't use a cast of an animal's work to do that either.

His response is: They had no problem with it in the paper about the human trackway found in South America, so it's ok for me to do it here.
Not that it's obscure, but to save time do you have a link to where he expressed such a daft idea?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:05 PM   #3210
DennyT
Illuminator

I’m just trying to figure out this naming stuff. I found this:
Quote:
Type specimens are the objective standard of reference for the application of zoological names.
Holotype – A single specimen designated or otherwise fixed as the name bearing type of a species name when it was first described (Article 73).
Quote:
The International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) is a widely accepted convention in zoology that rules the formal scientific naming of organisms treated as animals. It is also informally known as the ICZN Code, for its publisher, the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (which shares the acronym "ICZN").

The code is meant to guide only the nomenclature of animals, while leaving zoologists freedom in classifying new taxa.

In other words, whether a species itself is or is not a recognized entity is a subjective decision, but what name should be applied to it is not. The code applies only to the latter. A new animal name published without adherence to the code may be deemed simply "unavailable" if it fails to meet certain criteria, or fall entirely out of the province of science (e.g., the "scientific name" for the Loch Ness Monster).

Last edited by DennyT; 12th September 2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12th September 2018, 04:16 PM   #3211
DennyT
Illuminator

more:
Quote:
An ichnotaxon (plural ichnotaxa) is defined by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature as "a taxon based on the fossilized work of an organism", that is, the non-human equivalent of an artifact.
Ichnotaxa are names used to identify and distinguish morphologically distinctive ichnofossils, more commonly known as trace fossils. They are assigned genus and species ranks by ichnologists, much like organisms in Linnaean taxonomy. These are known as ichnogenera and ichnospecies, respectively.
Most researchers classify trace fossils only as far as the ichnogenus rank, based upon trace fossils that resemble each other in morphology but have subtle differences

Last edited by DennyT; 12th September 2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12th September 2018, 10:40 PM   #3212
DennyT
Illuminator

Seems to me that the naming and the code have almost nothing to do with scientific merit, aside from a requirement that the taxon be published.

From the way Meldrum talked, it seemed to me as though he submitted this new taxon in 2007, and some scientific body would have a chance to review it; if there was no objection raised in 5 years it “became official” in some sense, like it got approved by science.

It’s really not like that, according to what I have posted above and other stuff at the ICZN website. They pretty much just see if you picked a name that hadn’t been used, put it in italics, capitalize the genus name, tell where the specimen is, etc. The scientific merit is not assessed. As long as all the boxes are checked, the ICZN says “the name is available.”

That is the status of Meldrum’s ichnotaxon. The opinion of the scientific community is separate and apart from this. It may be completely negative.

It may be just me but I think he is deceiving the rubes about all this.

Last edited by DennyT; 12th September 2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 13th September 2018, 12:02 AM   #3213
DennyT
Illuminator

So there is a third thing in this system besides the Code written by the Commission; and that is the Zoobank, also connected to ICZN, which is the registry of all the nomenclature events, publications, type specimens and authors. This was first proposed in 2006 to keep track of all this stuff.

Again, I don’t see any evidence that Zoobank is making any judgments on the science of these naming. I seem to recall Melba Ketchum registering some Bigfoot name in Zoobank.

I still don’t know the source for the 5 year waiting period that I recall Meldrum talking about.

Last edited by DennyT; 13th September 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 04:53 AM   #3214
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Not that it's obscure, but to save time do you have a link to where he expressed such a daft idea?
I can't remember the name of the journal, but it was in the comments, he was responding to me saying what Ron Pine said. It was that journal where Shrike was outed in the comments, and the editor had to come in and delete posts.

Can anyone remember that?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:02 AM   #3215
Drewbot
Philosopher

Found it
https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...-north-america

Quote:
Drewbot
1. Nov 2017
Dr. Meldrum said: "The classification was published in the peer-reviewed proceedings of an international symposium on Cenozoic tracks and traces. The abstract was invited and reviewed by the organizing committee. It was subsequently presented in a conference room populated by several dozen experts on footprints and ichnology. Furthermore, the manuscript benefited through numerous discussions with expert colleagues in ichnology, and ultimately went out for anonymous review to five reviewers, plus the editor of the Bulletin. I don’t know where Dr. Pine is coming from, but none of these experts in this specific field felt it inappropriate to classify non-fossilized footprints in this instance. "

Dr. Meldrum, regarding the Anthropoides ameriborealis name, it really doesn't matter who was at the symposium, if your reviewers and or editors don't know the rules of the ICZN regarding the classification of the work of extant animals. The arbiter on this would be the ICZN

1.3. Exclusions. Excluded from the provisions of the Code are names proposed

1.3.6. after 1930, for the work of extant animals;

In other words, the ICZN does not recognize footprints (work) of any extant creature as a basis for zoological naming.
Quote:
Jeff Meldrum
1. Nov 2017

You are correct that ICZN does not want traces of extant animals named. There has been a precedent established with the naming of Hominipes modernus, by Lockley et al for the Acahualinca, Nicaragua tracks, which are footprints of extant Homo sapiens, though the type specimen is a few thousand years old. Furthermore, it should be pointed out that there are a number of traces named from fossils, indistinguishable from traces being made today by extant species (especially among invertebrates) with no resolution of that issue. Bear in mind, for a long time ICZN did not regulate trace fossil names, and certainly the way they now regulate them is open to discussion. The proposed rationale for this “exception,” which was accepted by the symposium attendees and reviewers, was that while the alleged footprint-maker was unrecognized by science and therefore “unknown” to science, we nevertheless needed to deal with the existence of consistent, and apparent to some, credible footprints. This sets this case apart from the intent of the ICZN's exclusion, such as naming the footprints of the extant black bear.

My point was made to address the charge that my research has not withstood “peer review,” not whether naming traces of an “unknown”or unrecognized, but potentially extant species was counter to current conventions of the ICZN. The footprints exist. A description and diagnosis, accompanied by an analysis, based on a type and referred material, plus numerous additional examples, exist and have withstood peer review and publication. Anyone is welcome to write a rebuttal of the paper and seek peer-reviewed publication. Knock yourself out. It will only have merit and warrant publication by a serious editor if it gets beyond the perception of a mere technicality and fully addresses the data and their interpretation. That sort of discourse was the very motivation for publishing the paper in the first place! I welcome and encourage it!
Quote:
Drewbot
30. Oct 2017
Does the ICZN even recognize track impressions that are not fossilized? You are naming the tracks based on plaster casts, according to Dr. Ron Pine at the University of Kansas, this hasn't been recognized since 1931.
Quote:
Jeff Meldrum
30. Oct 2017
The classification was published in the peer-reviewed proceedings of an international symposium on Cenozoic tracks and traces. The abstract was invited and reviewed by the organizing committee. It was subsequently presented in a conference room populated by several dozen experts on footprints and ichnology. Furthermore, the manuscript benefited through numerous discussions with expert colleagues in ichnology, and ultimately went out for anonymous review to five reviewers, plus the editor of the Bulletin. I don’t know where Dr. Pine is coming from, but none of these experts in this specific field felt it inappropriate to classify non-fossilized footprints in this instance.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:56 AM   #3216
Castro
Muse

So, well aware of the fact that he will never be able to present a specimen of santa claus bigfoot, he desperately tried to dodge the (huge!) issue by attempting to scientifically name some fake tracks?... as it would change anything . If this guy was of good faith he would spend his free time trying to collect a specimen, not playing mind games for bigfootery. What a clown.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 11:20 AM   #3217
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
So, well aware of the fact that he will never be able to present a specimen of santa claus bigfoot, he desperately tried to dodge the (huge!) issue by attempting to scientifically name some fake tracks?... as it would change anything . If this guy was of good faith he would spend his free time trying to collect a specimen, not playing mind games for bigfootery. What a clown.
If you notice in his paper and in statements he and his “mini-Meldrum” * have made over the years, he tries to make it seem that all the casts/tracks are footprints and from the same creature/species. I would surmise that would have been crucial to persuading his audience/reviewers to acquiesce to his nonsense.
*Cliffie

Quote:
A large sample of footprint casts and photos, representing a wide temporal and geographic range, has been evaluated by Meldrum (1999, 2004, 2006) and others (e.g. Bindernagel, 1998; Krantz 1999; Murphy, 2004). Statistical summary of linear metrics and proportions of a large sample of footprints are reported by Fahrenbach (1998), offering a summary of the range of variation in footprint dimensions. It is not widely known that more than 200 footprints have been examined and evaluated, with duplicates and some originals of a significant number of casts housed in the author’s research lab at Idaho State University. These include material from important collections made by previous generations of researchers. In order to both make these specimens more readily accessible to serious researchers, and permit quantitative geometric morphometric analyses of the specimens, a project was undertaken to scan the casts and create an archive of 3D virtualized models. These are accessible on-line through the Idaho Virtualization Laboratory webpage (http:// ivl.imnh.isu.edu/).

Last edited by DennyT; 13th September 2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:43 AM   #3218
DennyT
Illuminator

I particularly loved his idea that the Wallace tracks are from the Patterson individual i.e Patty. He was inspired to figure that out from watching his now-ex curl up her toes while watching TV.
This is what passes for science.

Last edited by DennyT; 13th September 2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:46 AM   #3219
Castro
Muse

If you notice in his paper and in statements he and his “mini-Meldrum” * have made over the years, he tries to make it seem that all the casts/tracks are footprints and from the same creature/species. I would surmise that would have been crucial to persuading his audience/reviewers to acquiesce to his nonsense.
*Cliffie
Well, if by species he means human hoaxer, he's actually not far from the truth imo. Anyway who cares about Meldrum's trolling/nonsense outside of bigfootery nowadays? Not many I guess. Unfortunately for him, this absence of specimen is an inescapable fact.

Last edited by Castro; 13th September 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:02 PM   #3220
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I can't remember the name of the journal, but it was in the comments, he was responding to me saying what Ron Pine said. It was that journal where Shrike was outed in the comments, and the editor had to come in and delete posts.

Can anyone remember that?
I surely do as I was one of the deleted posts I think even before he was outed. I totally missed those absurd Don "The Snake" Meldrum claims there. It's special pleadings for a special guy.

And once again his con's tells are pretty vivid. Why would an "I promise I'm legit" scientist want to game the system so fervently as to create an entirely new precedent within an organization that in most cases couldn't care less what you want to do? More cashish.

Look at who actually reaps whatever-the-benefits from the "exception" he sought. Almost diabolically it's only Meldrum himself because all the other real scientists are out practicing real science and waiting for the real beast to show up before "officially" recognizing it. And maybe just as importantly, they're not wasting the cosmo's time serenading terrorizing the ICZN with dubious tales of fiction and fantasy to see how much they can get away with.

"I declare these footprints were made." is just not enough evidence, Don.
Old 13th September 2018, 03:21 PM   #3221
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
terrorizing the ICZN with dubious tales of fiction:
I was assured by Dr. Ron Pine that the ICZN would immediately laugh him out of the room if he tried to pull this.throw the claim directly into the garbage.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:37 PM   #3222
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's like my grandfather used to say. "Drive my truck in reverse to the prom tonight and then watch some arctic cassowary eat a cinnamon barrel tomorrow."
Old 14th September 2018, 01:56 PM   #3223
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's like my grandfather used to say. "Drive my truck in reverse to the prom tonight and then watch some arctic cassowary eat a cinnamon barrel tomorrow."
Care to break down that incomprehensible word salad?
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 02:42 PM   #3224
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Care to break down that incomprehensible word salad?
I think 'word salad' is its intent.
Old 16th September 2018, 08:39 AM   #3225
The Shrike
Illuminator

Ultimately, the naming of things be they living species or traces of those now gone boils down to clarification and precision of our discourse.

What are we talking about?
This thing.
Wait, this?
No this, the thing established in this publication as Acer saccharum, Turdus migratorius, Anthropoidipes ameriborealis, etc.

It's true that the decision of a governing body agreed upon to hold the authority for naming such things could agree to allow a name for something to be established without passing judgment on the authenticity of that thing as an entity that warrants a name. Attaching a name to one of Houdini's escape acts is not affirmation from any group of experts that Houdini had magical powers.

That subtlety would be lost on the great majority of people accessing Meldrum's ichnotaxon paper.

Next, this was clearly a peer-edited publication, not a peer-reviewed one. In a peer-edited publication, a committee of people work to develop some kind of text or one-off journal volume that incorporates papers from (typically) all the folks who gave some talk at a conference. The editors provide feedback and guidance on copy-editing and somesuch, but they are NOT reviewing for content to make a decision of whether or not the submission warrants publication. That is decided ahead of time: whatever this person submits, we will publish. The final version might look a bit different from the original submission, but there's no question that it will be published.

Obviously that's quite different from submitting your work to a journal and having it go out for review by at least two anonymous peers whose specific task is to determine if the claims made in the paper are supported by the evidence presented in the paper.

Ask Meldrum to submit his work to Ichnos and let's see how Anthropoidipes ameriborealis holds up.

Last edited by The Shrike; 16th September 2018 at 08:40 AM.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 08:44 AM   #3226
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Ultimately, the naming of things be they living species or traces of those now gone boils down to clarification and precision of our discourse.

What are we talking about?
This thing.
Wait, this?
No this, the thing established in this publication as Acer saccharum, Turdus migratorius, Anthropoidipes ameriborealis, etc.

It's true that the decision of a governing body agreed upon to hold the authority for naming such things could agree to allow a name for something to be established without passing judgment on the authenticity of that thing as an entity that warrants a name. Attaching a name to one of Houdini's escape acts is not affirmation from any group of experts that Houdini had magical powers.

That subtlety would be lost on the great majority of people accessing Meldrum's ichnotaxon paper.

Next, this was clearly a peer-edited publication, not a peer-reviewed one. In a peer-edited publication, a committee of people work to develop some kind of text or one-off journal volume that incorporates papers from (typically) all the folks who gave some talk at a conference. The editors provide feedback and guidance on copy-editing and somesuch, but they are NOT reviewing for content to make a decision of whether or not the submission warrants publication. That is decided ahead of time: whatever this person submits, we will publish. The final version might look a bit different from the original submission, but there's no question that it will be published.

Obviously that's quite different from submitting your work to a journal and having it go out for review by at least two anonymous peers whose specific task is to determine if the claims made in the paper are supported by the evidence presented in the paper.

Ask Meldrum to submit his work to Ichnos and let's see how Anthropoidipes ameriborealisholds up.

I can only guess that it may be better received if someone like yourself were to make the suggestion to him through an official channel or contact/email rather than myself or one of the other skeptics. He's not likely to do anything for one of us without credentials. (i say this after much experience with Meldrum contact)

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2018, 09:24 AM   #3227
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Ultimately, the naming of things be they living species or traces of those now gone boils down to clarification...

Ask Meldrum to submit his work to Ichnos and let's see how Anthropoidipes ameriborealis holds up.
The magic trick analogy is interesting. His dodgy imitation of a peer review is of course consistent with his dodgy presentations to the rubes and his dodgy representation of the facts in the paper.
Perhaps interestingly, his online CV indicates he has acted as a reviewer for Ichnos. Now, in my field, that’s not an item for a vitae so it seems rather odd to me.
Quote:
I can only guess that it may be better received if someone like yourself were to make the suggestion to him through an official channel or contact/email rather than myself or one of the other skeptics. He's not likely to do anything for one of us without credentials. (i say this after much experience with Meldrum contact)
The evidence would suggest that contrary to his statement about encouraging discussion about Bigfoot, Meldrum (not unlike most bleever) is a bitter enemy of those who question his work/income streams.

Last edited by DennyT; 16th September 2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:30 PM   #3228
The Shrike
Illuminator

Perhaps interestingly, his online CV indicates he has acted as a reviewer for Ichnos. Now, in my field, that’s not an item for a vitae so it seems rather odd to me.
More or less standard for us. I list all of mine. I've reviewed for at least 31 different journals, plus listing actions for groups like IUCN and agencies such as the USEPA and USFWS.

The evidence would suggest that contrary to his statement about encouraging discussion about Bigfoot, Meldrum (not unlike most bleever) is a bitter enemy of those who question his work/income streams.
Oh yah. He was practically gleeful when I got doxxed at Capeia.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 12:13 PM   #3229
DennyT
Illuminator

This sentence is so odd for a “scientific paper” (my bold of the oddest part):
Quote:
It is not widely known that more than 200 footprints have been examined and evaluated, with duplicates and some originals of a significant number of casts housed in the author’s research lab at Idaho State University.

Last edited by DennyT; 20th September 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 20th September 2018, 12:38 PM   #3230
Drewbot
Philosopher

It is widely known that Dr. Meldrum has a bunch of fake plaster hobbyist castings of fake feet housed in his research lab at ISU however...
Old 20th September 2018, 12:39 PM   #3231
Drewbot
Philosopher

It is also widely known that ISU is OK with him wasting 3D Printer time, 3D scanning technology, University vehicles, administrative time, and graduate student hours, in the continuation of this snipe hunt.

Quote:
Dr. Meldrum drove all the way!
http://bigfootdiscoveryproject.blogs...ry-days-v.html

Last edited by Drewbot; 20th September 2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 20th September 2018, 01:08 PM   #3232
Drewbot
Philosopher

Did you know that Dr. Meldrum is in a new movie being funded on GOFUNDME ?

Well at least he is the second picture down in the cast listing...

https://www.gofundme.com/skookum
Old 20th September 2018, 03:54 PM   #3233
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

As scientists ourselves what we come to understand is how a charletan can ensconce himself in acadamia first, then use tenure to promote woo.

It's beautiful in an awful way, how cunning he's been. This difference between a conference paper and peer-review publication... it's deception every inch of the way. Every word chosen in excruciatingly painful weasality.

When he swims across a lake is there a wake of oil left behind, like a putrid sheen?
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 06:17 PM   #3234
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Did you know that Dr. Meldrum is in a new movie being funded on GOFUNDME ?

Well at least he is the second picture down in the cast listing...

https://www.gofundme.com/skookum
So many red flags. It took a few clicks to find it but that movie has been made already, apparently, though it was never properly distributed. It came out of the closet in 2016. That GoFundMe was from 2012 originally. There's one review and it was from a guy who somehow got an advance(?) DVD copy from the writer of the movie. Though I think you can get a final DVD copy directly from them now.

It probably wasn't meant as a comedy, but so far it's nothing but. Firstly, they only wanted $9,500 in the GoFundMe campaign? Yet only got $1,907 total from 26 donors? That's an average of $73 per donor. It's almost as if their GoFundMe page only showed up if you were in a homeless shelter. Seriously, they didn't have that much just amongst themselves? Look at the ******* Film Credits page from the movie's own website, if they got just a dollar from everyone on that page the movie would have been fully funded with enough extra to do Santorini vacations for the film's producers.

Also, the film's actor credits leave a bit to be desired. The lead actor is "the guy" who played a valet for 12 seconds in Beverly Hills Cop 5, or was gonna as that movie was never made. The lead actress won runner-up Soap Princess at the Iowa State Fair. And Don "Jeff" Meldrum plays Dr. Jeff Cameron, a "leading Bigfoot researcher". What a stretch given he pretends to be one in real life too. How much you wanna bet he's the exact same guy in the movie that we've seen over and over again. I'm sure his character has the same 'void of any depth' characteristics he has in his real pretend life. You know, a petty con-man with a PhD who suffers from the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:55 PM   #3235
DennyT
Illuminator

This sentence is so odd for a “scientific paper” (my bold of the oddest part):
And how can all of his supposed expert reviewers and editors and contributors not have told him not to use
Quote:
...a significant number...
In that context??
Of course we know from his previous rubefests that he doesn’t do statistics. But still...this is supposedly a scientific paper. “Significant” isn’t just a throwaway word.
But this is a guy who is teaching future health professionals anatomy of “Bigfoot”!!

Quote:
Danger, Will Robinson.

Last edited by DennyT; 20th September 2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #3236
DennyT
Illuminator

A bleever named Derek Randles was purportedly directed by a timber cruiser to some nestlike structures in remote Washington. These look somewhat like gorilla nests. After dicking around for a while they got Meldrum to come and see, and he sent samples for eDNA. Now we learn that the results show only human. Of course Meldrum is now suggesting it could be a Bigfoot whose DNA is very close to human... a false negative. This is more or less the same subterfuge he used in that Ontario Snelgrove Lake cabin case years ago.

Last edited by DennyT; Yesterday at 10:32 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #3237
jerrywayne
Muse

The latest interview with Meldrum:

http://www.boisestatepublicradio.org...gfoot#stream/0
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #3238
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post

Someday, could an interviewer ask him about how much he is getting paid for the upcoming rube-fleecing event?

Last edited by DennyT; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #3239
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post

Please oh please Brother Don, tell us everything you've learned from your latest missionary work with the Bigfoots. What's that, you haven't done any Bigfoots missionary work in awhile? No problem, just keep telling us the same old BS over and over again then. 350 Bigfoots in Idaho? Sure why not. The scam never gets old. Maybe especially so since it's coming from you, a well respected and well published scientist who regularly if not accidentally "confesses" his Bigfoot idol is also a scam artist named Roger Patterson.
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #3240
Castro
Muse

Someday, could an interviewer ask him about how much he is getting paid for the upcoming rube-fleecing event?
You can "invite him to speak at your next event" for $2.200 plus travel from Idaho and accommodations.

Last edited by Castro; Today at 08:21 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal