ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Imperial Hubris" , michael scheuer , QAnon

Old 16th September 2020, 06:27 AM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

CIA Analyst goes off the deep end

Years ago, just post-911, I read CIA Analyst Michael Schueur’s book, “Imperial Hubris”. He was the agent in charge of “Project Bin Laden” and was primarily involved in tracking the guy.

I thought the book made some good points, primarily that in the face of the common (and Bush Administration) idea that this was a religiously-motivated attack, it was instead a political act, a protest against US policies in the region.

However, in recent years, it appears that Schueur has drunk the Q-anon kool-aid and the Trump conspiracy nonsense as well... Openly calling for violence against “Democrats”:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/michae...ticles&via=rss

Pretty disturbing stuff, making you wonder just how deeply this stuff has infected people across the board.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Years ago, just post-911, I read CIA Analyst Michael Schueur’s book, “Imperial Hubris”. He was the agent in charge of “Project Bin Laden” and was primarily involved in tracking the guy.

I thought the book made some good points, primarily that in the face of the common (and Bush Administration) idea that this was a religiously-motivated attack, it was instead a political act, a protest against US policies in the region.

However, in recent years, it appears that Schueur has drunk the Q-anon kool-aid and the Trump conspiracy nonsense as well... Openly calling for violence against “Democrats”:

Pretty disturbing stuff, making you wonder just how deeply this stuff has infected people across the board.
That is a truly horrifying read. So many parallels with Nazi rhetoric in Germany in the 1930s.
Old 16th September 2020, 10:13 AM   #3
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Article is behind a paywall. Is this guy still employed by the CIA, and how deep down the Q-anon rabbit-hole are we talking?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Venom
Illuminator

WTF
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 10:17 AM   #5
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Article is behind a paywall. Is this guy still employed by the CIA, and how deep down the Q-anon rabbit-hole are we talking?
He retired before he wrote the book. Went through the process to get the book cleared pretty fast. Probably a lot of support in the bureaucracy for his POV at the time. Haven't followed him for the last 15 years or so.
Old 16th September 2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm using Firefox. I can switch to Reader View and beat most firewalls. I presume there is a similar add on available in other browsers.
Old 16th September 2020, 11:09 AM   #7
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it is. Just click "close" on the box that comes up. Or try clearing your cookies.

And the guy is a raging, raving lunatic, probably truly certifiable.
Quote:
But the conspiracy was less important than what it licensed: “Personally, I would prefer immediate and lethal, post-trial punishment —by loyal-citizen firing squads chosen by lottery,” he wrote. Targets included the “Kenya-born” Obama, Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, John Brennan, Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, Russiagate’s Christopher Steele and leading congressional Democrats. Other hit lists include journalists, academics, “any police chief or officer” who supports police budget cuts, and “all medical doctors, teachers, and teacher unions advocating the continued closure of schools across the republic,” which Scheuer sees as commensurate with the predations of Jeffrey Epstein and, allegedly, Ghislane Maxwell. “There is no Constitutional protection for U.S. citizens who wage war against their country, especially those who enlist foreign governments to assist them,” Scheuer judged—meaning not the “Russia, if you’re listening” president, but Trump’s opponents.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 11:15 AM   #8
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

One thing I can assure you.

The more someone advocates for a trigger finger solution to social problems the less they know about the actual subject matter.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 12:07 PM   #9
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I've been saying Scheuer is a nut for more than 15 years. Welcome to the club.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 03:01 PM   #10
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Wow. Squirrel-turds.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events