ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 22nd October 2020, 09:26 AM   #2521
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Judge drops third-degree murder charge against former officer Derek Chauvin in George Floyd's death, but second-degree murder charge remains.

The Judge's logic in a judicial sense is actually fairly sound, basically that 3rd Degree Murder charges don't apply if you are directing the force at a specific person which Chauvin obviously was doing, but I hope it doesn't make a conviction harder to get.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/22/us/de...ped/index.html
Old 22nd October 2020, 04:39 PM   #2522
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Police officer who leaked video of police abuse charged with crime.

Whistleblowers go to jail, abusers stay on the force.

https://twitter.com/SAssadNews/statu...79885566730240

Quote:
Esqueda, 51, blew the whistle on the death of Lurry and had been stripped of his police powers and placed on administrative leave. Joliet police withheld the video of the arrest for five months. He believes the police department was trying to cover up the arrest. “Yes, I do, 100 percent,” Esqueda told Savini this summer. “I did the right thing, I am a good honest cop.”
Good cops don't stay cops for long.

All cops may not be bastards, but the ones that aren't can get in big trouble for it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2020, 04:39 AM   #2523
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Police officer who leaked video of police abuse charged with crime.

Whistleblowers go to jail, abusers stay on the force.

https://twitter.com/SAssadNews/statu...79885566730240

Good cops don't stay cops for long.
The cop in question is not on trial here, it's the US judicial system that's in the dock.
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:06 PM   #2524
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
The cop in question is not on trial here, it's the US judicial system that's in the dock.

I'm sure he'll find that very reassuring while he's sitting in the courtroom.

... at the defendant's table.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 01:28 AM   #2525
Aber
Graduate Poster

For some light relief:
Borat Fooled Rudy, But Not Two Sharp Cops

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...ia-cops-714386
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2020, 02:29 AM   #2526
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I'm sure he'll find that very reassuring while he's sitting in the courtroom.

... at the defendant's table.
It must hurt to go to such extremes to, deliberately, miss the point.
Old 30th October 2020, 09:56 AM   #2527
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I don't know about you lot, but I'm getting fed up with all this relentless negativity about the job the US police do. So instead I'm going to post a positive, heartwarming story. The National Fraternal Order of Police has one all ready:

So see if you can pick a hole in that, "skeptics". The police rescued a 2-year-old who was lost and wandering around, barefoot(!), in a riot zone. The only thing they care about is protecting that child!!! I hardly think the National Fraternal Order of Police would make this up!

Do you?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 10:48 AM   #2528
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I don't know about you lot, but I'm getting fed up with all this relentless negativity about the job the US police do. So instead I'm going to post a positive, heartwarming story. The National Fraternal Order of Police has one all ready:

https://i.imgur.com/3RCulFQ.png

So see if you can pick a hole in that, "skeptics". The police rescued a 2-year-old who was lost and wandering around, barefoot(!), in a riot zone. The only thing they care about is protecting that child!!! I hardly think the National Fraternal Order of Police would make this up!

Do you?
Already covered in the Riots thread.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 10:52 AM   #2529
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I'm glad the good news is spreading!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 12:03 PM   #2530
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Of course there are plenty of instances of good cops doing the right thing. Lots of good cops out there, and if the cops perceive you as being on the right side, there's nothing nicer than a cop. They'll rescue you or protect you, keep you warm in the cruiser till the towtruck comes, and all that stuff. Unfortunately if they perceive you as being on the wrong side, there are few things nastier or more dangerous. Kudos to the cops protecting the little kid. It's what they should do. It's too bad that this story should stand out at all.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 12:37 PM   #2531
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I'm glad the good news is spreading!
As Suburban Turkey posted

Quote:
Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest cop group, falsely claimed that Philly cops rescued a child wandering the riots alone and without shoes.

Turns out the kid was taken out of his parent's car by the cops after they smashed out the windows and viciously beat the driver. There's video footage of the cops swarming the car and bashing the driver who doesn't seem to be doing anything aggressive and was likely just unlucky to be in the path of the police riot.

Cops will literally beat you senseless and use your kid for copaganda. They have since deleted this lie after being exposed.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/s...71642201567233
Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest cop group, falsely claimed that Philly cops rescued a child wandering the riots alone and without shoes.

Turns out the kid was taken out of his parent's car by the cops after they smashed out the windows and viciously beat the driver. There's video footage of the cops swarming the car and bashing the driver who doesn't seem to be doing anything aggressive and was likely just unlucky to be in the path of the police riot.

Cops will literally beat you senseless and use your kid for copaganda. They have since deleted this lie after being exposed.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/s...71642201567233
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 05:56 PM   #2532
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The behaviour of US police officers

Well, yeah, there’s all that but still - kudos to the cops for protecting the kid, right?
Old 30th October 2020, 06:22 PM   #2533
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Well, yeah, there’s all that but still - kudos to the cops for protecting the kid, right?
The cops beat in the windows of the car and violently clubbed the mother in front of the child. Most children would find this traumatic.
Old 30th October 2020, 06:56 PM   #2534
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Poor Matthew. It seems like people really want to stomp all over your jokes...maybe because they're too dark?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:05 PM   #2535
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Poor Matthew. It seems like people really want to stomp all over your jokes...maybe because they're too dark?

Could be.
Old 30th October 2020, 07:38 PM   #2536
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I guess I should have known the back story (or just guessed).

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 04:03 AM   #2537
erlando
Graduate Poster

https://i.imgur.com/3RCulFQ.png

Do you?
You know you have an image problem when you have to tout basic human decency as a "look what we've done" story.

ETA: And it was all a lie. Imagine that.. (Sorry for not getting the joke)

Last edited by erlando; 31st October 2020 at 04:05 AM.
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 06:13 AM   #2538
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
You know you have an image problem when you have to tout basic human decency as a "look what we've done" story.

ETA: And it was all a lie. Imagine that.. (Sorry for not getting the joke)
You know you have far more than just an image problem when you have to fake basic human decency as a "look what we've done" story.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 03:21 PM   #2539
Mumbles
Philosopher

So in Greensboro, mixing social and political issues, a minister arranged a "Vote for Change" march to the nearest polling site, including a moment of silence for George Floyd. How did police respond?

Quote:
After the moment of silence concluded, law enforcement told people to clear the road.

Then, deputies and police officers used pepper spray on the crowd and began arresting people. Several children in the crowd were affected by the pepper spray.

Melanie Mitchell said her 5-year-old and 11-year-old daughters were pepper-sprayed just after the moment of silence.

She said Graham police approached the crowd assembled in the street and told them to move onto the sidewalk and soon began spraying pepper spray toward the ground. Mitchell’s 5-year-old took off running, she said. Both kids threw up.
The police say that they had informed the group that they would not be allowed to close the street. Personally, I strongly suspect that this could be easily resolved without blasting everyone nearby with chemical agents, but that's just me.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 03:16 AM   #2540
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
The police say that they had informed the group that they would not be allowed to close the street. Personally, I strongly suspect that this could be easily resolved without blasting everyone nearby with chemical agents, but that's just me.
Well I suppose that the organisers could have tried to ensure that none of the participants on the march were black.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 04:15 AM   #2541
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So in Greensboro, mixing social and political issues, a minister arranged a "Vote for Change" march to the nearest polling site, including a moment of silence for George Floyd. How did police respond?

It's basic SOP for occupying forces, you can't allow any event to escalate.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:32 AM   #2542
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at something not directly done by the Trump administration -

Kentucky state police training quoted Hitler to create ‘ruthless’ warriors

Instructional presentation quotes the Nazi leader on three separate slides, as well as Confederate general Robert E Lee

A spokesperson claims that the materials stopped being used in 2013, as it is, but it is relevant when it comes to matters setting the stage for the current state of affairs.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:33 AM   #2543
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Instructional presentation quotes the Nazi leader on three separate slides, as well as Confederate general Robert E Lee

A spokesperson claims that the materials stopped being used in 2013, as it is, but it is relevant when it comes to matters setting the stage for the current state of affairs.
I suppose we should be glad that no one stays in the police force for more than 7 years....
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:37 AM   #2544
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Side note, but this reporting comes from high school students. Outstanding work from such young amateur journalists. This is the kind of story a pro would be proud to call their own.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:32 AM   #2545
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I suppose we should be glad that no one stays in the police force for more than 7 years....
2013 was a different time, when genocidal Nazis and traitorous defenders of slavery were still considered heroes.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 10:21 AM   #2546
Mumbles
Philosopher

And on another note, anyone who wants to know what the police have been up to lately can just look here. But the short answer is, they're still doing their damnest to turn protests violent.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 12:26 PM   #2547
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And on another note, anyone who wants to know what the police have been up to lately can just look here. But the short answer is, they're still doing their damnest to turn protests violent.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 5th November 2020 at 01:38 PM.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2020, 01:33 PM   #2548
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The comment in the tweet about the cops are the ones rioting is so true.
Old 5th November 2020, 02:18 PM   #2549
deadrose
Illuminator

Yep, had another one here last night too. Headline: Protester in critical condition after arrest outside the East Precinct.

Bonus points to the cops for misgendering protester, too.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 09:23 AM   #2550
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It's totally normal to hide hundreds of thousands of records of your coworkers sexually abusing minor right? Not any kind of odd or inappropriate action there.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ds/6224382002/

"Louisville Metro Police concealed at least 738,000 records documenting the sexual abuse of Explorer Scouts by two officers — then lied to keep the files from the public, records show.

The Courier Journal last year requested all records regarding sexual abuse of minors by two officers in the Explorer Scout program for youths interested in law enforcement careers."
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 09:44 AM   #2551
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It's totally normal to hide hundreds of thousands of records of your coworkers sexually abusing minor right? Not any kind of odd or inappropriate action there.

"Louisville Metro Police concealed at least 738,000 records documenting the sexual abuse of Explorer Scouts by two officers — then lied to keep the files from the public, records show.

The Courier Journal last year requested all records regarding sexual abuse of minors by two officers in the Explorer Scout program for youths interested in law enforcement careers."
Par for the course.
Old 12th November 2020, 10:31 AM   #2552
sphenisc
Philosopher

That's 25 records a day, every day, each, for 40 years. Surely some mistake?
Old 12th November 2020, 11:32 PM   #2553
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Especially when the case only concerns two officers (two officers is two too many). I'm not questioning that records were deleted but I'm highly skeptical of the number of records deleted.
Old 13th November 2020, 02:23 AM   #2554
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Especially when the case only concerns two officers (two officers is two too many). I'm not questioning that records were deleted but I'm highly skeptical of the number of records deleted.
They are documents related to the investigation of the two officers not records of complaints over the years, so it’s not like there were 25 complaints made every day.

I thought at first it could have been the entirety of the police records for the time period and the actual documents/reports about the investigation would be a small subset within that but the article makes it clear this isn’t the case.

The figures do seem very high, almost 10,000 documents, I suppose it could be an artefact of how their system works. Look at court transcripts in which every line in the transcript will be numbered, if their system did a similar thing for each individual line in a report it could be when that data is exported it is done “per line” so you could end up with one page of text being 30 or so individual “records” in a CSV file.

But really the number of records and documents is an irrelevance, it is the destruction and obstruction of the relevant documents and records that is the issue - it would have been equally “as bad” if it was just one record and one document that was deliberately withheld and then deleted.

It really does seem there was a concerted attempt to prevent the lawful release of the documents and records.
Old 15th November 2020, 04:46 AM   #2555
erlando
Graduate Poster

But really the number of records and documents is an irrelevance, it is the destruction and obstruction of the relevant documents and records that is the issue - it would have been equally “as bad” if it was just one record and one document that was deliberately withheld and then deleted.

It really does seem there was a concerted attempt to prevent the lawful release of the documents and records.
Oh, I agree. It smells really bad.
Old 16th November 2020, 11:32 AM   #2556
GodMark2
Master Poster

The figures do seem very high, almost 10,000 documents, I suppose it could be an artefact of how their system works. Look at court transcripts in which every line in the transcript will be numbered, if their system did a similar thing for each individual line in a report it could be when that data is exported it is done “per line” so you could end up with one page of text being 30 or so individual “records” in a CSV file.
It could also include a large number of automatically created 'documents', like surveillance tapes or entry ID scans for different buildings. Or, it could include usually normal, but meaningful in this case, documents like vehicle check-outs, call logs, or time record sheets. Some days at work, I probably create over 50 such 'documents' when I travel to secure customer locations, and some days I visit multiple customers. (Rather, I used to, before the world went virtual)
Old 16th November 2020, 01:22 PM   #2557
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
It could also include a large number of automatically created 'documents', like surveillance tapes or entry ID scans for different buildings. Or, it could include usually normal, but meaningful in this case, documents like vehicle check-outs, call logs, or time record sheets. Some days at work, I probably create over 50 such 'documents' when I travel to secure customer locations, and some days I visit multiple customers. (Rather, I used to, before the world went virtual)
There is also the possibility that this includes potential evidence. Eg discarding an file cabinet so the documents inside could not be reviewed to see if they contained any relevant evidence.
Old 16th November 2020, 01:47 PM   #2558
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

" The Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office is conducting an internal investigation after an investigator shot and killed a child’s dog. According to a spokesperson, Investigator James Freeman was in Greenbrier for a sex offender compliance check but went to the wrong home."

https://katv.com/news/local/faulkner...to-wrong-house
Old 16th November 2020, 01:55 PM   #2559
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

" The Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office is conducting an internal investigation after an investigator shot and killed a child’s dog. According to a spokesperson, Investigator James Freeman was in Greenbrier for a sex offender compliance check but went to the wrong home."

https://katv.com/news/local/faulkner...to-wrong-house
What a hero, dogs are notorious for attacking children, he bravely risked his own life to protect the child from the dog!
Old 16th November 2020, 02:01 PM   #2560
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

What a hero, dogs are notorious for attacking children, he bravely risked his own life to protect the child from the dog!
Cops are shooting so many dogs that there are now multiple incidents of cops accidentally shooting people while trying to shoot dogs.

Like how this cop shot and killed a sleeping homeless woman while trying to kill a dog:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-b472257.html

or this cop that was covered under qualified immunity after he shot a 10 year old child in the leg while trying to kill a dog:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksib...h=7d3223f33987

Or two different occasions where a cop shot themselves trying to shoot a dog

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...y-shoots-self/

https://www.reshareworthy.com/cop-ac...-to-shoot-dog/

Maybe one day cops will learn how to interact with strange dogs without shooting everyone within line of sight. Not sure how mail carriers or kids on bikes manage it.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th November 2020 at 02:06 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events