IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 21st September 2012, 04:07 AM   #281
This is The End

Slightly confusing (to me anyway) article about how Apple not allowing people to use the fastest networks in Europe will supposedly be a boon to Samsung.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...unts-in-europe
Old 21st September 2012, 04:35 AM   #282
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
...snip..

Whatever possessed them to make such a move without asking themselves "Can we do everything the google app does and then more?"
Because it was not a "consumer facing decision". They have achieved the goal they set themselves which was the removal of a competitor from their "ecosystem".
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 04:48 AM   #283
joobie
i don't care

you can go to the google maps website for transit times/routes.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:55 AM   #284
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I've seen several news stories and advertisements informng iPhone5 buyers how they can sell their old iPhones, such as on eBay.

Apparently iPhans need to be told such things are possible.

As for transit maps and such, aren't there apps for that? I have a CTA bus and train tracking app for example, tells me when the bus or train is arriving at any stop I select.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 06:18 AM   #285
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

LOL! New software needs tuning when first used en masse? First time I ever heard that.

Old 21st September 2012, 06:35 AM   #286
Dan O.
Banned

The problems Apple is facing with their maps reminds me of the same problems that Google faced when Google Maps was new. The problems will be solved and there are already workarounds available.

Apple may have greater plans for integrating mapping with the iOS device. This will allow there to be a single map base into which other apps can integrate data. This would not be feasible if the base functionality were dependent on a third party.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 06:42 AM   #287
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
LOL! New software needs tuning when first used en masse? First time I ever heard that.

Let's just hope we get lots of funny stories like this before it's fixed!

Except the iPhans will walk right off that cliff or bridge if Siri tells them to.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 06:49 AM   #288
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
That would be a horrible business move. Come to the rescue of their main competitor? Sure it gets their name out there on iPhones, but they should at least wait a bit and let Apple stew! They even have an excuse, Apple slapped them in the face.
I remember reading maybe a year ago that Google still got more ad revenue from iPhones than from Android phones. Not sure how much of that is maps vs. YouTube vs. browsing in general, but I think they still want their apps on iPhones.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 07:01 AM   #289
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
I remember reading maybe a year ago that Google still got more ad revenue from iPhones than from Android phones.
Must... resist... obvious... joke... oh crap I can't hold it in!

Gullible suckers with lots of disposable income and strong brand loyalty are a marketer's dream demographic.

Last edited by WildCat; 21st September 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 21st September 2012, 07:52 AM   #290
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

The Chicago Apple store opening: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...e&VID=23818845

That is just surreal, all the clapping employees. And can you tell the iPhans from the guys just looking to flip them for a quick profit?
Old 21st September 2012, 08:08 AM   #291
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
yeah, and I always thought throwing around the "cult" term was just hyperbole.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 08:22 AM   #292
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post

The complaints I've read about and that have been echoed in this thread is not that there are a few bugs but major features that people had come to rely on have been removed. For example the public transport information.

That is rather different from there being a few glitches.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 08:27 AM   #293
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
yeah, and I always thought throwing around the "cult" term was just hyperbole.
I really like a lot of Apple products but would rather eat poison than camp out for a phone. But hey, they're die-hard fans, it's a big day for Apple, can't fault them for making it fun for their customers.

On the bright side, this is a perfect day for Samsung customers to meet up and tap their phone phones together and make the Apple customers jealous because ...BAM!...they just shared a playlist*. They could also show off some other features that they will never, ever use!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

*and they didn't get lost getting to the Apple store with their maps app.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 08:39 AM   #294
John Albert
Illuminator

One unique advantage of the iPhone: the ability to control millions of robots in the US and abroad.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 08:48 AM   #295
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
One unique advantage of the iPhone: the ability to control millions of robots in the US and abroad.
Isn't it amazing what building a phone with such a high-level of customer satisfaction, year after year, will do!

And, as this completely non-scientific test shows, it's much more durable than the Galaxy S3!
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 09:47 AM   #296
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

There are quite a few posters who seem to be personally offended that the iPhone is popular, and have to resort to name calling in order to make themselves feel better about it.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 10:47 AM   #297
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
There are quite a few posters who seem to be personally offended that the iPhone is popular, and have to resort to name calling in order to make themselves feel better about it.
You did post that to be ironic?
Old 21st September 2012, 10:57 AM   #298
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

Settle down. It was a joke.

Sheesh!
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 11:16 AM   #299
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You did post that to be ironic?
Always
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 12:44 PM   #300
Almo
Masterblazer

As a developer, I'm annoyed by the iPhone 5's new aspect ratio. Making an iPhone app just developed a hassle that was previously non-existent.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 02:02 PM   #301
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I think the people who bought one thinking they're going to resell it for profit are going to be hurting, Apple stores here haven't yet sold out, and cellular providers have stock too.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:19 PM   #302
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

They are going for a thousand in the UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item2ec1cc3bfc - madness.
Old 21st September 2012, 02:27 PM   #303
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

A thousand dollars, or a thousand of those things with that funny squiggly symbol. That's like $1500 US isn't it?
Old 21st September 2012, 02:37 PM   #304
AgeGap
Master Poster

How to burn a sheep.

Not my joke but I saw it on the internet, liked it and thought I would share.

Last edited by AgeGap; 21st September 2012 at 02:42 PM.
AgeGap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2012, 02:45 PM   #305
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
They are going for a thousand in the UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item2ec1cc3bfc - madness.
No, that's what they're asking.

Which is way different from what they're actually selling for which is Ł670.00 for a 16GB version and there's an identical one that didn't sell for Ł649.99 "buy it now". A 64GB version sold for Ł952.93.

If your stores didn't sell out today there's no reason for anyone to pay a premium for one.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:17 PM   #306
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Ecstatic Chicago iPhone 5 buyer lifts his prize over his head in triumph... and drops it! http://www.nbcchicago.com/video/#!/n...tore/170735246
Old 21st September 2012, 07:04 PM   #307
carlitos
"más divertido"

My iPhone 4S wants me to "upgrade" to iOS 6. Without bus and train times ... no thanks. As it stands, I can still ask SIRI and she tells me where to go.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:43 AM   #308
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It is certainly noticeably lighter. Interestingly I can see the new one being dropped more often as I suspect many people will only be able access the entire screen with one hand (I have a large span and I have to do this) by jiggling it slightly up and down. With the design, depth and decreased weight this is very easy (and people will pick it up instantly - this is the reason I suspect they went with increased length - very, very good design work and sort of keeps to the stated philosophy for one handed use) but does mean you have to loosen your grip.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:20 AM   #309
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
My iPhone 4S wants me to "upgrade" to iOS 6. Without bus and train times ... no thanks. As it stands, I can still ask SIRI and she tells me where to go.
From what I have heard, SIRI uses the Wolfram Alpha system to answer questions. If you are getting bus and train times from SIRI, the maps application installed on your device might be irrelevant.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:01 PM   #310
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by joobie View Post
i don't think a google maps app will be approved. apple will reject it for duplicating functionality.

i think the web browsers are a special case.
Not really that special a case. They allow other podcast catchers, as well.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:05 PM   #311
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
The problems Apple is facing with their maps reminds me of the same problems that Google faced when Google Maps was new. The problems will be solved and there are already workarounds available.

Apple may have greater plans for integrating mapping with the iOS device. This will allow there to be a single map base into which other apps can integrate data. This would not be feasible if the base functionality were dependent on a third party.
This.
OCaptain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:11 PM   #312
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Almo View Post
As a developer, I'm annoyed by the iPhone 5's new aspect ratio. Making an iPhone app just developed a hassle that was previously non-existent.
I love the new aspect ratio! It makes full screen HD videos play larger than they will play on the 4S. In a world where we're all consuming video on our smartphones, it makes sense!
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:15 PM   #313
OCaptain
Graduate Poster

I think the people who bought one thinking they're going to resell it for profit are going to be hurting, Apple stores here haven't yet sold out, and cellular providers have stock too.
Where do you live? They've been sold out here since before the 21st. All we have are waiting lists, except for one guy I work with. He got his yesterday and I was checking it out this morning. Doesn't feel bigger.

Last edited by OCaptain; 22nd September 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 23rd September 2012, 02:04 PM   #314
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by OCaptain View Post
Where do you live?
Chicago, it says so right there under my avatar...
Old 23rd September 2012, 11:42 PM   #315
This is The End

Chicago
Never heard of the place.

So apparently just about every other phone company has made ads making fun of the iMaps debacle:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...gle_s_Motorola

Quote:
"Looking for 315 E 15th in Manhattan?" the ad asks. "Google Maps on Droid Razr M will get your there and not #iLost in Brooklyn."
OK, that's kinda funny.

Whatever that is worth.

Here's a new (Monday) NYTimes article about the whole thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/te...oc.semityn.www
Old 24th September 2012, 06:33 AM   #316
chulbert
Muse

Just some counterpoint on the Maps debacle:

http://counternotions.com/2012/09/21/applemaps/
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 08:16 AM   #317
The Dark Lord

All I know if that Google Maps on Android works extremely well while a lot of people say that Apple Maps sucks.
The Dark Lord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 09:09 AM   #318
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
Just some counterpoint on the Maps debacle:

http://counternotions.com/2012/09/21/applemaps/

Maybe that guy in the Google maps in Spain was walking around on the deck of a boat as it traveled to and from the island.
—Mark Twain
Old 24th September 2012, 09:36 AM   #319
The Dark Lord

I just searched for walking directions from Alacante to Valencia Spain on my phone to see what it said. The map looks the same as on that article. But the parts that supposedly have you walking over water actually have you taking fairies!
The Dark Lord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 02:32 PM   #320
chulbert
Muse

Another interesting take:

http://anthonydrendel.com/blog/2012/...and-china.html

According to the author, iOS 6 Maps are a substantial improvement in China.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet