IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 22nd October 2012, 11:26 AM   #481
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:40 AM   #482
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I've done this twice. Both times it asked me to "drag the pin to the correct location" but I tried and just couldn't do it. I'm not sure why, but they seem to have made this pin un-draggable, at least by me.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:28 PM   #483
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
It's interesting how the 7" mini will be priced nearly the same as the 4" iPod Touch.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2012, 07:32 PM   #484
John Albert
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kajata View Post
It's interesting how the 7" mini will be priced nearly the same as the 4" iPod Touch.

The difference in price is roughly the cost of a cup of cheap oolong tea and a police truncheon at rock-bottom 3rd world market value.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2012, 10:38 AM   #485
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

More iphone 5 benchmarks, compared to Samsungs gs3 quad core model, iPad 3 and iPhone 4s.

http://www.zdnet.com/benchmarking-th...-5-7000006045/
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 01:50 AM   #486
GraculusTheGreenBird
Muse

The gap widens yet again..

Forget lumping together Android manufacturers as a group, now just a single manufacturer, Samsung, is selling literally twice as many smartphones as Apple.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/2...ery_one_apple/

Interesting how this kind of marketshare news rarely gets mainstream coverage. Then again, i was surprised at how prominent the bad publicity regarding iOS 6 maps was on big news sites like the BBC. I does seem that the media seem less inclined to give Apple a free ride these days.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 02:58 AM   #487
elgarak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post

Forget lumping together Android manufacturers as a group, now just a single manufacturer, Samsung, is selling literally twice as many smartphones as Apple.

Interesting how this kind of marketshare news rarely gets mainstream coverage. Then again, i was surprised at how prominent the bad publicity regarding iOS 6 maps was on big news sites like the BBC. I does seem that the media seem less inclined to give Apple a free ride these days.
These are "shipment" numbers. They count all the phones Samsung has built and left the factory. It is not identical to the number of phone ending up in customer hands. A large portion ends up in warehouses and on store shelves.

Samsung gets paid for them, by distributors and chain stores, but the phones do not end up in the wild.

For all intents and purposes, analysts and bloggers have moved away from citing shipment numbers to compare companies. Apple does not release shipment numbers, but actually sales to end customers, since they sell, oh I dunno, something in the range of 80% in their own stores (online and brick'n'mortar).

"Activation" numbers are closer to a real metric, though still not ideal.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 10:11 AM   #488
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
These are "shipment" numbers. They count all the phones Samsung has built and left the factory. It is not identical to the number of phone ending up in customer hands. A large portion ends up in warehouses and on store shelves.

Samsung gets paid for them, by distributors and chain stores, but the phones do not end up in the wild.

For all intents and purposes, analysts and bloggers have moved away from citing shipment numbers to compare companies. Apple does not release shipment numbers, but actually sales to end customers, since they sell, oh I dunno, something in the range of 80% in their own stores (online and brick'n'mortar).

"Activation" numbers are closer to a real metric, though still not ideal.
"Samsung ships two smartphones for every one Apple sells" kind of says it all, doesn't it ?

Regardless, I would expect a manufacturer selling 25+ models of phone, most priced less than an iPhone, to sell. Wouldn't you ??

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 26th October 2012 at 10:12 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 10:30 PM   #489
GraculusTheGreenBird
Muse

"Samsung ships two smartphones for every one Apple sells" kind of says it all, doesn't it ?

Regardless, I would expect a manufacturer selling 25+ models of phone, most priced less than an iPhone, to sell. Wouldn't you ??
Well, if you read the article, it in fact quotes shipping units for Apple, Samsung and Nokia, not sales units. I guess the only way to know for sure is to find out how ABI Research and Strategy Analytics did their numbers.

However, with Android now getting 1.3 million activations per day (i.e. actual new phones/tablets being switched on and setup, 1.23 million of them being actual phones), and Samsung being the dominating supplier for Android, it doesn't seem unreasonable.
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 12:39 AM   #490
This is The End

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post

Oh please. Unless you have actual shipped vs sold numbers for both companies, we can just assume it is relatively the same for Apple as well.

If it makes you feel better to think that all these Samsung smartphones are in a warehouse somewhere and all the iPhones are in peoples hands, then have at it.
Old 27th October 2012, 12:43 AM   #491
This is The End

Anecdotal evidence time:

I know someone who recently got a Galaxy S3 after only having Apple smartphones. (They had a 3GS then a 4S).

They are absolutely blown away. They told me that they just plain feel ridiculous that they had the wool over their eyes for so long. They "absolutely love it".

If other people switch and feel like they do, then that would explain why Samsung smartphones are doing so well.
Old 27th October 2012, 01:46 PM   #492
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Well, if you read the article, it in fact quotes shipping units for Apple, Samsung and Nokia, not sales units. I guess the only way to know for sure is to find out how ABI Research and Strategy Analytics did their numbers.

However, with Android now getting 1.3 million activations per day (i.e. actual new phones/tablets being switched on and setup, 1.23 million of them being actual phones), and Samsung being the dominating supplier for Android, it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Yes, shipped is the word the article used. I did read it. But that is not the number apple itself gives on its calls. It gives the number of units sold. So it really is a difference.

You might want to check into the number of samsung galaxy tabs shipped versus the number sold that came out in the patent lawsuit versus apple, for an example of why this is an important difference
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 01:49 PM   #493
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Oh please. Unless you have actual shipped vs sold numbers for both companies, we can just assume it is relatively the same for Apple as well.

If it makes you feel better to think that all these Samsung smartphones are in a warehouse somewhere and all the iPhones are in peoples hands, then have at it.
Apple reports numbers sold, not shipped. But that's probably irrelevant to you, since you don't even believe the number of active smartphones in the US...
Old 27th October 2012, 02:22 PM   #494
This is The End

Apple reports numbers sold, not shipped. But that's probably irrelevant to you, since you don't even believe the number of active smartphones in the US...
First of all that's off topic. But I'm glad you brought it up, because you are the one that believes that there are enough active smartphones in the USA for 1 out of every 2 people in the USA, from babies to centenarians. It's 2 months later and you're still defending that?? Pretty hilarious.

Bump the thread if you want, then everyone can see the numbers being spun. I'm not responding to it anymore here, it's off topic.

Back on topic:

Why don't you just come out and say it:

You believe that there is some huge difference in the shipped/sold ratio between Samsung and Apple.

You've danced around it since that article was posted. So how about just come right out and make the claim?

The last thing you want people to do is remember the actual point of the article. That is that Samsung smartphones are outselling Apple smartphones by a huge margin. But not only that, Samsung is gaining popularity, and Apple losing popularity. Which means by a year from now we will see the snowball effect magnifying the numbers.

You've played this same game in several threads. Someone brings up a point or an article that is not favorable to Apple. You then try and distract everyone with some side issue, hoping and praying that they forget the actual topic.

Last edited by This is The End; 27th October 2012 at 02:30 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #495
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

First of all that's off topic. But I'm glad you brought it up, because you are the one that believes that there are enough active smartphones in the USA for 1 out of every 2 people in the USA, from babies to centenarians. It's 2 months later and you're still defending that?? Pretty hilarious.

Bump the thread if you want, then everyone can see the numbers being spun. I'm not responding to it anymore here, it's off topic.
I have bumped the thread. You don't respond. Very telling.

Back on topic:

Why don't you just come out and say it:

You believe that there is some huge difference in the shipped/sold ratio between Samsung and Apple.

I believe that there is some difference in the number of phones shipped by Samsung and the number of samsung phones sold.

You've danced around it since that article was posted. So how about just come right out and make the claim?

The last thing you want people to do is remember the actual point of the article. That is that Samsung smartphones are outselling Apple smartphones by a huge margin. But not only that, Samsung is gaining popularity, and Apple losing popularity. Which means by a year from now we will see the snowball effect magnifying the numbers.
As I said, I would expect a company that makes 25+ models of smartphones to outsell a company that makes 1 model. It is not particularly surprising or impressive.

You've played this same game in several threads. Someone brings up a point or an article that is not favorable to Apple. You then try and distract everyone with some side issue, hoping and praying that they forget the actual topic.
The side issue I am bringing up to deflect from the article is ... discussing the facts in the article ??
Old 27th October 2012, 03:36 PM   #496
This is The End

I believe that there is some difference in the number of phones shipped by Samsung and the number of samsung phones sold.
"some difference" Seriously? You think that is going to slide on a Skeptics forum. Claim your number. Claim the percentage. Obviously there would be "some difference" between the shipped/sold ratio between Samsung and Apple. It would be statistically impossible for them to have the exact same ratio!

As I said, I would expect a company that makes 25+ models of smartphones to outsell a company that makes 1 model. It is not particularly surprising or impressive.

Wow, you've been called on that so many times it's not even funny. And you still use that line!!

Apple currently still sells at least 4 Smartphones. You wish it was just one!! It would slightly help your case.

If you compare Samsungs top 4 currently selling smartphones to Apples top 4 currently selling smartphones you will still find the below to be true:

Quote:
That is that Samsung smartphones are outselling Apple smartphones by a huge margin. But not only that, Samsung is gaining popularity, and Apple losing popularity. Which means by a year from now we will see the snowball effect magnifying the numbers.
It doesn't change it one bit.

-----------
I completely forgot that when someone calls you on this:

That you then do this:

I
The side issue I am bringing up to deflect from the article is ... discussing the facts in the article ??
Every single time!! The old "oh but I am talking about the issue", like anyone is going to fall for that.

The article was about how Samsung is outselling Apple. The side issue you attacked was your claim that there is this huge difference between the shipped/sold ratio between Samsung and Apple.

Now here's the funny thing:

Even if there was a huge difference, which there isn't, and we looked only at the "sold" numbers, Samsung would still be outselling Apple by a huge margin.

So lets just chalk this one up there with your old standby of "Oh but Apple only has 1 phone and Samsung has 40" which was proven to be nonsense months ago.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:30 AM   #497
GraculusTheGreenBird
Muse

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10...msung_q3_2012/

Samsung just posted a Q3 year on year profit growth of 91%. 50% of this was due to their mobile sector, actual phone sales are up a massive 82% year on year.

Apple's year on year Q3 profit growth was "only" 21%, although they are not exactly starting from a poor position.. I'm sure many companies would be happy with a year on year growth of 21%!

However it does seem yet another indicator that Samsung phones are increasing in popularity, quite simply they are selling more (not just shipping more!) and this is having a directly noticeable effect on their bottom line.

Last edited by GraculusTheGreenBird; 29th October 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 30th October 2012, 01:48 AM   #498
This is The End

Originally Posted by kajata View Post
http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

Quote:
To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO

Apparently it has leaked that someone refused to sign that letter:

Apple iOS software chief Scott Forstall forced out for refusing to sign a letter apologizing for problems with Apple Maps.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...497916304.html

Quote:
Apple Inc. executive Scott Forstall was asked to leave the company after he refused to sign his name to a letter apologizing for shortcomings in Apple's new mapping service, according to people familiar with the matter.

The incident was the latest clash between Mr. Forstall, who oversaw Apple's mobile software unit, and other executives at the company. It led to one of the most significant management shake-ups in Apple's recent history and its most sweeping changes under Chief Executive Tim Cook.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...s-apology-wsj/

Quote:
Forstall recently sent an email to some of the folks on Apple's iOS software team saying that the group "wasn't working on enough big ideas in mobile software," according to the WSJ. That's effectively saying that Forstall thought the company was struggling to compete, so it's no surprise that tensions were mounting.

Apple has said that Forstall will be replaced by Craig Federighi in 2013. Federighi will oversee both the iOS and OS X groups under one umbrella.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:55 PM   #499
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

"some difference" Seriously? You think that is going to slide on a Skeptics forum. Claim your number. Claim the percentage. Obviously there would be "some difference" between the shipped/sold ratio between Samsung and Apple. It would be statistically impossible for them to have the exact same ratio!
50%. prove me wrong. *shrugs*

Wow, you've been called on that so many times it's not even funny. And you still use that line!!
How many times ? 1 ? Go ahead, link to all the times....I'll wait...

Apple currently still sells at least 4 Smartphones. You wish it was just one!! It would slightly help your case.
I said one model, ie iPhone. Perhaps you missed the word model ?

And, the only sell the 4, 4s, 5. Go ahead, link to the 3gs on the apple store and prove me wrong.....

The article was about how Samsung is outselling Apple. The side issue you attacked was your claim that there is this huge difference between the shipped/sold ratio between Samsung and Apple.

Now here's the funny thing:

Even if there was a huge difference, which there isn't, and we looked only at the "sold" numbers, Samsung would still be outselling Apple by a huge margin.
Yeah,just like with tablets ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ung-galaxy-tab

An executive at Android tablet maker Lenovo claims that Samsung sold only 20,000 of the 1m tablets that it shipped last year as it tried to "buy share" from market leader Apple.

So lets just chalk this one up there with your old standby of "Oh but Apple only has 1 phone and Samsung has 40" which was proven to be nonsense months ago.
Why do you link to where this was 'proven' to be nonsense ?

You are very fond of argument by assertion. Probably because facts don't back you up. Carry on ...
Old 30th October 2012, 11:09 PM   #500
This is The End

I said one model, ie iPhone. Perhaps you missed the word model ?
Apple iPhone is the make, the # is the model. Pretty hilarious you want us to buy that so you can continue to use that lie. Even if you convinced someone of that, then that would mean that the Samsung Galaxy S2, S2 Skyrocket, and S3 would count as one phone as well!! Apple would still be losing.

OK so maybe they stopped selling the 3GS since the last time you tried this spin.

The top 3 Samsung phones are absolutely destroying the top 3 Apple Phones. You can't even come up with convincing spin to make it not so. Also, the gap is widening.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:13 AM   #501
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

UK service provider is giving minimum 30 day waiting time for iphone5 upgraders at this time.

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 09:16 AM   #502
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Apple iPhone is the make, the # is the model.
Apply that to the iPad?

Why did you snip out the other stuff posted? I thought some good points were made.

funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 09:43 AM   #503
chulbert
Muse

Apple iPhone is the make, the # is the model. Pretty hilarious you want us to buy that so you can continue to use that lie. Even if you convinced someone of that, then that would mean that the Samsung Galaxy S2, S2 Skyrocket, and S3 would count as one phone as well!! Apple would still be losing.

OK so maybe they stopped selling the 3GS since the last time you tried this spin.

The top 3 Samsung phones are absolutely destroying the top 3 Apple Phones. You can't even come up with convincing spin to make it not so. Also, the gap is widening.
The make is Apple, the model is iPhone, then you have the year.

I actually agree it's disingenuous to say Apple has only one phone. However, while they sell three phones it's really just the current model, last year's model, and the year's before that. That's different than Samsung, which has multiple lines and concurrently sells multiple models from each line.

It's like Toyota selling the 2012 Camry, the 2011 Camry, and the 2010 Camry, as opposed to Ford selling the Taurus, the Focus, and the Escape.

However, there's no denying that Samsung has twice the smartphone marketshare as Apple.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2012, 03:43 PM   #504
This is The End

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
I actually agree it's disingenuous to say Apple has only one phone. However, while they sell three phones it's really just the current model, last year's model, and the year's before that.
Even if that were true, that means every Samsung Galaxy S is also one phone.

iPhone 4 = Galaxy S II
iPhone 4S = Galaxy S II Skyrocket
iPhone 5 = Galaxy S III

There is just no way to spin it in favor of Apple, I'm sorry.

I swear I just addressed that 3 posts up.

But seriously, step back and look at yourselves trying to claim that the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 are not different models...

Have you compared an iPhone 4 and 5 lately? Look at them and then remember that you tried to tell me they are the same model!!

Apple iPhone is the make. 4, 4S, 5 are the models. The car analogy is horribly broken, please don't make me explain why.
Old 31st October 2012, 05:57 PM   #505
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

All I see is how the total number of samsung phones *shipped* is greater than the number of iphones sold.

Can you back up your claim above that the s2/s3 outsells the iphone 4/4s/5 ?

I'm betting you can't.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:27 PM   #506
This is The End

All I see is how the total number of samsung phones *shipped* is greater than the number of iphones sold.

Can you back up your claim above that the s2/s3 outsells the iphone 4/4s/5 ?

I'm betting you can't.

It's not even close. s2/s2 s/s3 are absolutely destroying the iphone 4/4s/5. If you have numbers that show otherwise I would love to see them.
Old 1st November 2012, 04:36 AM   #507
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

It's not even close. s2/s2 s/s3 are absolutely destroying the iphone 4/4s/5. If you have numbers that show otherwise I would love to see them.
Why don't you prove him wrong? It is your claim.

Old 1st November 2012, 06:45 AM   #508
chulbert
Muse

Even if that were true, that means every Samsung Galaxy S is also one phone.

iPhone 4 = Galaxy S II
iPhone 4S = Galaxy S II Skyrocket
iPhone 5 = Galaxy S III
I have no problem with this comparison.

Quote:
There is just no way to spin it in favor of Apple, I'm sorry.

I swear I just addressed that 3 posts up.
I'm not trying to spin anything. In fact, I clearly stated - and you failed to quote - that there's no disputing that Samsung has twice the unitshare.

Quote:
But seriously, step back and look at yourselves trying to claim that the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 are not different models...

Have you compared an iPhone 4 and 5 lately? Look at them and then remember that you tried to tell me they are the same model!!

Apple iPhone is the make. 4, 4S, 5 are the models. The car analogy is horribly broken, please don't make me explain why.
I wouldn't dream of asking you to explain anything after your performance in the discussion on the number of active smartphones.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:13 AM   #509
This is The End

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
Why don't you prove him wrong? It is your claim.
Are you serious?? I'm the one disputing TheL8Elvis's claim that if you only count the iPhones as 1 phone that they are the top seller. How is it my claim??
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:15 AM   #510
This is The End

I'm not trying to spin anything. In fact, I clearly stated - and you failed to quote - that there's no disputing that Samsung has twice the unitshare.
Ah, OK then, I apologize.

I wouldn't dream of asking you to explain anything after your performance in the discussion on the number of active smartphones.
OH please.... Three pages of people quoting everything but currently active numbers and you say I put on a performance. If you have a link that says the number of currently active iPhones as of December 2011, I would love to see it.
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:46 AM   #511
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Are you serious?? I'm the one disputing TheL8Elvis's claim that if you only count the iPhones as 1 phone that they are the top seller. How is it my claim??
Please quote my claim. Here is yours, please provide your evidence for it:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 2nd November 2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:15 AM   #512
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

@ TheL8Elvis.

I'm not asking this to be snarky, but I wonder if you would tell me.

If it were to be established by some metric which you find satisfactory that Samsung really is outselling iPhone ... say units of iPhone5 vs. Samsung GS3's actually in use by real, individual consumers ... would that bother you a lot?

'Cause it seems from the tenor of your posts that you would find such a situation to be profoundly disturbing.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:46 AM   #513
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
@ TheL8Elvis.

I'm not asking this to be snarky, but I wonder if you would tell me.

If it were to be established by some metric which you find satisfactory that Samsung really is outselling iPhone ... say units of iPhone5 vs. Samsung GS3's actually in use by real, individual consumers ... would that bother you a lot?

'Cause it seems from the tenor of your posts that you would find such a situation to be profoundly disturbing.
It would not bother me.
I don't have a problem with the fact that all of samsungs phones are outselling all of apples phones. It's just when information is pulled out of the ether, like ' galaxy III is crushing iPhone 5' or similar, I would just like to see where the data is to back up these claims. I have not seen it.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:50 AM   #514
carlitos
"más divertido"

Here are the top ten handsets in the UK. 2 Samsungs, followed by 2 iPhones. iPhone 5 moved 5 million units in 3 days, but it wasn't enough to top Samsung Galaxy S3 sales.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/mobile_tracker/

ETA - apparently Galaxy S3 sales increased in the US with the release of the iPhone 5, as people apparently were waiting to see what it was before buying a phone. It apparently underwhelmed some undecided buyers.

http://www.autoomobile.com/news/sams...sales/1006720/

Galaxy S3 weekly sales growth #'s

Last edited by carlitos; 2nd November 2012 at 09:09 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:30 AM   #515
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Here are the top ten handsets in the UK. 2 Samsungs, followed by 2 iPhones. iPhone 5 moved 5 million units in 3 days, but it wasn't enough to top Samsung Galaxy S3 sales.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/mobile_tracker/

ETA - apparently Galaxy S3 sales increased in the US with the release of the iPhone 5, as people apparently were waiting to see what it was before buying a phone. It apparently underwhelmed some undecided buyers.

http://www.autoomobile.com/news/sams...sales/1006720/

Galaxy S3 weekly sales growth #'s
Thats more like it. Some data at last.

Old 2nd November 2012, 04:23 PM   #516
This is The End

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
Thats more like it. Some data at last.
Oh please.

I suppose you weren't here 30 posts ago, on the top of this very page, when the data was posted that caused TheL8Elvis to try and frantically spin?

"Data at last" indeed.

First TheL8Elvis claimed it was shipped vs sales from reading the headline only!!! Which, even though that is hilarious on its face, also implies that the Samsung phones are just sitting in some warehouse somewhere. Like companies don't research supply and demand.

But if you actually read the first 3 paragraphs it is clearly shipped vs shipped:

Quote:
According to SA, Samsung’s share was 35.2 per cent, achieved by shipping 56.9 million smartphones.

As ABI noted, that’s more the twice the 26.9 million units Apple shipped during the same three-month period, enough iPhones to give the Cupertino firm 16.6 per cent of the market. Both figures come from SA.

Apple’s shipments were up year on year 57.3 per cent, Samsung up 102.5 per cent.

So then TheL8Elvis used the old fallback of "oh well if you count all the iPhones as 1 phone then Apple is still winning". Which has been thoroughly debunked every single time it has been brought up in this sub-forum. The Galaxy S line of phones is handedly outselling the iPhone line of phones.
Old 2nd November 2012, 04:47 PM   #517
carlitos
"más divertido"

Who or what are you arguing against?
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:51 PM   #518
This is The End

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Who or what are you arguing against?
The user I quoted and the content of their quote.
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:31 AM   #519
carlitos
"más divertido"

Is this a real quote though?

Quote:
oh well if you count all the iPhones as 1 phone then Apple is still winning
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:00 PM   #520
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Oh please.

I suppose you weren't here 30 posts ago, on the top of this very page, when the data was posted that caused TheL8Elvis to try and frantically spin?

"Data at last" indeed.

First TheL8Elvis claimed it was shipped vs sales from reading the headline only!!! Which, even though that is hilarious on its face, also implies that the Samsung phones are just sitting in some warehouse somewhere. Like companies don't research supply and demand.

But if you actually read the first 3 paragraphs it is clearly shipped vs shipped:

So then TheL8Elvis used the old fallback of "oh well if you count all the iPhones as 1 phone then Apple is still winning". Which has been thoroughly debunked every single time it has been brought up in this sub-forum. The Galaxy S line of phones is handedly outselling the iPhone line of phones.
Shipped is not what counts here. That was the point. Duh!

You purposefully ignored when he pointed to the data on shipping and sales of a tablet.

How about you try bringing the data to back up your sales claims instead of pulling chains? If you can't, then thats OK.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet