IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 27th November 2012, 02:13 PM   #641
This is The End

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Apparently it has leaked that someone refused to sign that letter:

Apple iOS software chief Scott Forstall forced out for refusing to sign a letter apologizing for problems with Apple Maps.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...497916304.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...s-apology-wsj/

Today we see even more fallout from the Maps affair:

Apple Fires Maps Manager

Quote:
Apple continues to clean house after it stumbled badly with its mobile mapping service, firing a manager who oversaw it.

Apple Said to Fire Maps Manager After Flaws Hurt IPhone 5

Quote:
Apple Inc. (AAPL) has fired the manager responsible for its troubled mapping software, seeking to win back the trust of users disappointed after the program debuted in September, according to people familiar with the move.

Richard Williamson, who oversaw the mapping team, was pushed out by Senior Vice President Eddy Cue, said the people, who asked not to be named because the information wasn’t yet public.

Odd how some Apple fans in this thread claim that the whole maps issue was overblown, and yet Apple has forced out the head of Apple software and the head of the Maps project. And the reason for both was specifically related to the maps issue.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:47 PM   #642
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Apple Fires Maps Manager

Odd how some Apple fans in this thread claim that the whole maps issue was overblown, and yet Apple has forced out the head of Apple software and the head of the Maps project. And the reason for both was specifically related to the maps issue.
Who claimed it was overblown and in what regard ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 07:29 PM   #643
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Appears to be a conclusion. Is it not a conclusion, but just random information you pulled from the ether ?

I backed up my 'conjecture' with information from the article I originally linked to. You appear to have just pulled things out of thin air.

You're funny. You used the same "air" (interesting way to spell "article") that I did to pull things out of ... the one you linked to.
Quote:
But according to people familiar with Google’s thinking, the search giant, which had invested massive sums in creating that data and views it as a key feature of Android, wasn’t willing to simply hand it over to a competing platform.
Operative term being "simply".
Quote:
And if there were terms under which it might have agreed to do so, Apple wasn’t offering them. Sources tell AllThingsD that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined. And these became major points of contention between the two companies
Your "conclusion" is just as much a conjecture as mine. The only difference is your apparent need to paint Google as a bad guy.

If you really have evidence that Google refused to let Apple use that feature for no other reason than to maintain a market advantage, and not because Apple was unwilling to meet the price they wanted for their product then go ahead and share it.

Otherwise your "conclusion" is just as full of air.

Last edited by quadraginta; 27th November 2012 at 07:33 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 07:21 AM   #644
chulbert
Muse

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I didn't have a conclusion. I was responding to TheL8Elvis's conjecture with an alternative suggested by the article he cited.
Of course you did. You said, "They are not the same thing," where they are either Google withholding turn-by-turn or offering it at unacceptable terms.

I simply responded that in principle they can be functionally the same thing.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 10:53 AM   #645
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

One could also say that it is pragmatically the same as Apple wanting it without having to pay for it.
I didn't have a conclusion. I was responding to TheL8Elvis's conjecture with an alternative suggested by the article he cited.
Your 'conjecture' is without basis. There is nothing in the article that suggests apple wanted voice turn-by-turn without having to pay for it.

You're funny. You used the same "air" (interesting way to spell "article") that I did to pull things out of ... the one you linked to.
Quote:
But according to people familiar with Google’s thinking, the search giant, which had invested massive sums in creating that data and views it as a key feature of Android, wasn’t willing to simply hand it over to a competing platform.
Operative term being "simply".
That statement doesn't say or imply that apple actually asked for google to "simply hand it over".

In fact, the article clearly states there were negotiations:
Quote:
Sources tell AllThingsD that Google, for example, wanted more say in the iOS maps feature set. It wasn’t happy simply providing back-end data. It asked for in-app branding. Apple declined. It suggested adding Google Latitude. Again, Apple declined
Your "conclusion" is just as much a conjecture as mine. The only difference is your apparent need to paint Google as a bad guy.
Specifically, how did I do paint Google as a bad guy ? When did I say or imply that google wanting to keep a competitive advantage was wrong for them to do ?

If you really have evidence that Google refused to let Apple use that feature for no other reason than to maintain a market advantage, and not because Apple was unwilling to meet the price they wanted for their product then go ahead and share it.

Otherwise your "conclusion" is just as full of air.
I never claimed it was the only reason. But I think the article clearly states that competitive advantage for android was a big reason, if not the main reason google wasn't going to let apple have access to voice-turn-by-turn data for a reasonable price.

And it's not just my conclusion. For example:
http://techpinions.com/the-real-reas...gle-maps/10725
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/app...rn-navigation/

If you disagree, that's fine. I just haven't seen you provide any reasons or evidence to believe your conclusion that the problem was apple simply wanted it for free.

I asked earlier, but you ignored the question:
The fact that Apple couldn't come to a mutually satisfactory agreement with Google says nothing about whether either side actually made a reasonable attempt to negotiate a fair deal. And I can't see how it would have been to Googles advantage to offer a 'fair deal'. Do you ?
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 12:01 PM   #646
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Apple Fires Maps Manager

Who made those claims ? How does firing someone prove that the whole maps issue wasn't overblown ?

And the Forstall firing had to do with internal issues other than maps, in case you really thought that Apple maps was the cause of him being fired.
http://daringfireball.net/linked/201...wski-mansfield
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._all_star.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-s...is-out-2012-10
etc....
Old 28th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #647
This is The End

Who made those claims ?
First of all there aren't "claims" plural. There is one claim in the post you quote. And here it is:

Odd how some Apple fans in this thread claim that the whole maps issue was overblown
Now for your question: "Who made that claim?" That is, that the whole maps issue was overblown.

Several people in the thread said it was overblown. Including you:

Information begins to come in about the maps issue ...

<snip>

I suspect ultimately this is a tempest in a teapot, and will not dissuade any discernible number of people from buying an iphone 5.
"Tempest in a teapot" is a direct synonym for "overblown", IOW making a mountain out of a molehill.

Your quote literally reads:

"I suspect that ultimately the maps issue is overblown, and will not dissuade any discernible number of people from buying an iPhone 5."

You just plain don't have any wiggle room there. But I know for a fact that won't stop you from trying....

Ironically you even do it in your very next sentence after asking "Who made that claim"!!:

How does firing someone prove that the whole maps issue wasn't overblown ?
There is no "I'm Just Asking Questions" here at the JREF. We're not going to believe that you are "just curious".

And the Forstall firing had to do with internal issues other than maps, in case you really thought that Apple maps was the cause of him being fired.
http://daringfireball.net/linked/201...wski-mansfield
http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._all_star.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-s...is-out-2012-10
etc....

That's odd because your own links say it was the straw that broke the camels back.

As did the other articles I linked to at the time. Did you even read the articles that I linked to when the story broke? You literally have nothing new here.

He refused to sign the apology letter and was immediately let go. You can't get much more direct than that. No one ever claimed that it wasn't the straw that broke the camels back. What better person to use as a matter to make it look like they are top of the Maps catastrophe?

Last edited by This is The End; 28th November 2012 at 02:26 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2012, 03:00 PM   #648
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

First of all there aren't "claims" plural. There is one claim in the post you quote. And here it is:
Now for your question: "Who made that claim?" That is, that the whole maps issue was overblown.

Several people in the thread said it was overblown. Including you:

"Tempest in a teapot" is a direct synonym for "overblown", IOW making a mountain out of a molehill.

Your quote literally reads:
The word literally ... I don't think it means what you think it means. My quote LITERALLY reads:
Quote:
I suspect ultimately this is a tempest in a teapot, and will not dissuade any discernible number of people from buying an iphone 5.
When you change my words and then claim to be quoting me, that's a bit dishonest, don't you think ?
But back to what you think I said...

Quote:
"I suspect that ultimately the maps issue is overblown, and will not dissuade any discernible number of people from buying an iPhone 5."
You just plain don't have any wiggle room there. But I know for a fact that won't stop you from trying....
What do I need wiggle room for ? Yes, in regards to affecting sales, as I said, the whole maps fiasco was overblown.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...e-5-debut.html
While flaws in Apple’s map program haven’t dented sales of the iPhone 5, which was introduced in September, the shortcomings were an unusual public misfire that forced Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook to apologize to customers.

Don't you read the articles you post ?

It was overblown. It didn't hurt sales. It was embarrassing for Apple and they took measures to correct it. That doesn't somehow mean the whole issue wasn't overblown, because it clearly was.

Ironically you even do it in your very next sentence after asking "Who made that claim"!!:

There is no "I'm Just Asking Questions" here at the JREF. We're not going to believe that you are "just curious".

That's odd because your own links say it was the straw that broke the camels back.

As did the other articles I linked to at the time. Did you even read the articles that I linked to when the story broke? You literally have nothing new here.
Yes, I read the articles you linked to. I am referring to the statements you made, not the articles.

He refused to sign the apology letter and was immediately let go. You can't get much more direct than that. No one ever claimed that it wasn't the straw that broke the camels back. What better person to use as a matter to make it look like they are top of the Maps catastrophe?
This is what you wrote:
Quote:
Apple has forced out the head of Apple software and the head of the Maps project. And the the reason for both was specifically related to the maps issue.
The articles I linked to explained why his being fired wasn't related to the maps issue.
But if you want to believe it was maps, that's fine.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:23 PM   #649
This is The End

When you change my words and then claim to be quoting me, that's a bit dishonest, don't you think ?

That is flat out not true, I would have to change the English language for you to have not said the maps issue was overblown.

Absolutely no one is going to buy into to your claim that me changing "tempest in a teapot" for "overblown" is being dishonest.

Pretty hilarious that the only other thing you can think of is to say you just meant it was "just overblown in relation to it affecting sales". What else would it be in relation to!!

Seriously, tell us what else the maps issue being overblown would have to do with besides the sales of the phone? I can't wait to hear this one.

If the maps issue is not overblown, if it is a real thing, then it would effect sales. You claiming that it is not going to affect sales inherently implies that the maps issue is overblown.

What else would it be in relation to!

The articles I linked to explained why his being fired wasn't related to the maps issue.
But if you want to believe it was maps, that's fine.

That is quite clearly not true. All the links, even back when the story broke said him not signing the apology letter was the straw that broke the camels back. It was the final cause for the effect. You can't get more directly related than that. Him not signing the apology letter, which was 100 percent about the maps issue, is a fact. You just can't dance your way around that.

He was the fall guy for the maps issue. Just because they hated him for other reasons before the maps issue doesn't suddenly change that!

I know we have to do this with you seemingly every time you make a post, but can you just make the claim?

Are you claiming that he was not used as a fall guy over the maps issue?

Stop dancing around and just say it:

"He was not used as a fall guy over the maps issue."

Then we can go on from there.

All you have done is point out what the articles said at the time, that him not signing the apology letter was the straw that broke the camels back, and then they made him the fall guy.

No one is denying that.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:33 PM   #650
This is The End

I mean c'mon. This is a direct line of quotes. No sneaky anything was done.

Odd how some Apple fans in this thread claim that the whole maps issue was overblown
Who made those claims ?

What do you think the odds are of you convincing anyone that "the maps issue being overblown and won't affect sales" is different from "the maps issue being overblown in relation to [anything else]."

You're claiming that you think the maps issue was not overblown, but it won't affect sales? If you don't think it will affect sales, then how was it not "overblown"? It just doesn't make any sense.

Are you literally trying to claim that you meant:

"Yes it is a real tempest, not a tempest in a teapot. But as far as affecting sales goes, it is a tempest in a teapot."

Seriously?
Old 28th November 2012, 04:02 PM   #651
This is The End

Here is another exchange. I left it in full so as not to be accused of doing anything sneaky:

Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
Is 'one' a discernible number of people?
Yes, poor word choice on my part. Literally discernible, yes. Should have said significant.

Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
On seeing the specs for the iPhone 5 I decided to upgrade my 3Gs. Then I heard about the Apple Map problem and changed my mind.

I use Google Maps to find my way around London on a regular basis. Apple's decision to replace something awesome with something broken was a deal killer for me. I doubt I'm the only one.
Broken may be an overstatement. You can also still use the google maps in the browser, and google will be releasing their own app in a few months, or so it is rumored. There are also many other navigation applications.

I can't quite grasp/sympathize the position that apple changing that one app is really so bad as to keep someone from getting a new phone.

In megaresp's highlighted sentence we can clearly see that "something awesome" is referring to Google Maps, and "something broken" is referring to Apple Maps.

No one is going to question that. We don't even need megaresp to back that up.

TheL8Elvis then clearly says: "Broken may be an overstatement."

What did megaresp say was "something broken"?

Apple Maps.

TheL8Elvis's sentence therefore quite clearly reads:

"[Saying Apple Maps is] broken may be an overstatement."

IOW, saying Apple Maps being broken may be an exaggeration. IOW, overblown.

The fact that then you then go on to say that it being broken is an overstatement because we can always just go use Google Maps in the browser just adds to the hilariousness of the damage control.

Using the "other guy" is still directly related, in fact it is part and parcel with, the entire "Apple Maps issue".

IOW, you are saying that mega calling the thing that Apple replaced Google Maps with broken is overstating because we can always use Google Maps in browser form. Which is directly calling the Apple Maps issue overblown.

So far we have you saying that it is overblown in relation to not only it's use, but it's sales.

We have "tempest in a teapot" and "overstatement". You then did the old synonym dance. You are not the first person at the JREF to try and get out from under a claim by doing the old synonym dance. Not by a long shot.

Need we go on?

Also remember, my claim was that posters in this thread claimed the maps issue was overblown. I haven't even started with any other posters' quotes besides yours.
Old 29th November 2012, 03:37 AM   #652
This is The End

I think I see the pattern here.

Every time an article comes out that is not favorable to apple:

Apple Fires Maps Manager

or:

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
The gap widens yet again..

Forget lumping together Android manufacturers as a group, now just a single manufacturer, Samsung, is selling literally twice as many smartphones as Apple.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/2...ery_one_apple/

Interesting how this kind of marketshare news rarely gets mainstream coverage. Then again, i was surprised at how prominent the bad publicity regarding iOS 6 maps was on big news sites like the BBC. I does seem that the media seem less inclined to give Apple a free ride these days.

We start arguing about the minutia, even if it doesn't make any sense, even if it is about the previous news, like the previous firing, and not even about the current news. With hope that the argument veers away from the facts of the news article as much as possible.

So then after keeping up that charade for several posts we hope that no one sees the news.

It's more about creating a blinding distraction, or a fog of argument, than it is about damage control these days.

Apple had a fiasco with the maps.
Heads rolled.

Samsung is the new king of smartphones; currently and for the foreseeable future.
Old 29th November 2012, 04:27 AM   #653
Ferguson
Muse

That doesn't mean much, per se. Shirley Sherrod and Anthony Wiener both "resigned" after scandals, but I would still consider those scandals overblown.

I haven't had a problem with Apple Maps, but I've only used it around New Orleans and here in Lansing, and the Siri integration has worked well for me, but I've heard enough online to accept that it has problems.

Some of the complaints are empty though, like the "melting bridges," Google Earth has similar problems - probably any map that combines 3d terrain data with 2d images will.

But Apple's phone needed a turn-by-turn gps navigation, google wouldn't allow theirs to be used, so Apple had to make one. Google maps has had a long time to mature, and it shows (and still isn't perfect - probably no map ever will be, there's too much data and it changes too often).

Samsung probably will dominate the smartphone market in terms of units sold, but I don't think that means much to Apple, they were always a niche market, with 5% or so OS marketshare. Their sudden burst of popularity followed by the slow return to normalcy we're seeing now will be interesting for media and analysts, but I don't think will have much impact on their internal culture.
Ferguson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 10:09 AM   #654
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

That is flat out not true, I would have to change the English language for you to have not said the maps issue was overblown.
That's not what I said. Read for comprehension, please. You changed my words and said you were literally quoting me. That's dishonest. If you said you were paraphrasing or anything else, it wouldn't be an issue.

Absolutely no one is going to buy into to your claim that me changing "tempest in a teapot" for "overblown" is being dishonest.

Pretty hilarious that the only other thing you can think of is to say you just meant it was "just overblown in relation to it affecting sales". What else would it be in relation to!!

Seriously, tell us what else the maps issue being overblown would have to do with besides the sales of the phone? I can't wait to hear this one.
Since maps has not affected sales, how has it been anything other than overblown ?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...e-5-debut.html
While flaws in Apple’s map program haven’t dented sales of the iPhone 5,

If the maps issue is not overblown, if it is a real thing, then it would effect sales. You claiming that it is not going to affect sales inherently implies that the maps issue is overblown.

What else would it be in relation to!
I don't know. You are the one who said
Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths
Odd how some Apple fans in this thread claim that the whole maps issue was overblown, and yet Apple has forced out the head of Apple software and the head of the Maps project.
Seems to me that the whole maps issue was overblown since it didn't affect sales, right ?

That is quite clearly not true. All the links, even back when the story broke said him not signing the apology letter was the straw that broke the camels back. It was the final cause for the effect. You can't get more directly related than that. Him not signing the apology letter, which was 100 percent about the maps issue, is a fact. You just can't dance your way around that.

He was the fall guy for the maps issue. Just because they hated him for other reasons before the maps issue doesn't suddenly change that!

I know we have to do this with you seemingly every time you make a post, but can you just make the claim?

Are you claiming that he was not used as a fall guy over the maps issue?

Stop dancing around and just say it:

"He was not used as a fall guy over the maps issue."

Then we can go on from there.

All you have done is point out what the articles said at the time, that him not signing the apology letter was the straw that broke the camels back, and then they made him the fall guy.

No one is denying that.
He was not used as a fall guy over the maps issue, and you seriously have very little understanding of Apple.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:11 AM   #655
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Here is another exchange. I left it in full so as not to be accused of doing anything sneaky:

In megaresp's highlighted sentence we can clearly see that "something awesome" is referring to Google Maps, and "something broken" is referring to Apple Maps.

No one is going to question that. We don't even need megaresp to back that up.

TheL8Elvis then clearly says: "Broken may be an overstatement."

What did megaresp say was "something broken"?

Apple Maps.

TheL8Elvis's sentence therefore quite clearly reads:

"[Saying Apple Maps is] broken may be an overstatement."

IOW, saying Apple Maps being broken may be an exaggeration. IOW, overblown.

The fact that then you then go on to say that it being broken is an overstatement because we can always just go use Google Maps in the browser just adds to the hilariousness of the damage control.

Using the "other guy" is still directly related, in fact it is part and parcel with, the entire "Apple Maps issue".

IOW, you are saying that mega calling the thing that Apple replaced Google Maps with broken is overstating because we can always use Google Maps in browser form. Which is directly calling the Apple Maps issue overblown.

So far we have you saying that it is overblown in relation to not only it's use, but it's sales.

We have "tempest in a teapot" and "overstatement". You then did the old synonym dance. You are not the first person at the JREF to try and get out from under a claim by doing the old synonym dance. Not by a long shot.

Need we go on?

Also remember, my claim was that posters in this thread claimed the maps issue was overblown. I haven't even started with any other posters' quotes besides yours.
Sure, go on, since I don't even know what you are going on about. Yes, the whole maps issue was overblown, it didn't affect sales. Sure, the whole maps issue was overblown because there are workarounds. Sure, the whole maps issue was overblown because Apple will improve maps over time.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:13 AM   #656
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

<snio>
Samsung is the new king of smartphones; currently and for the foreseeable future.
Apple has 5% of the global smartphone market and 75% of the profits.
Long live the king.

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 29th November 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:29 AM   #657
kajata
Illuminator

I didn't look too hard among the last couple of pages of posts because the silly bickering is dizzying so don't know if this was posted but looks like Apple retook the U.S. smartphone lead thanks to strong iPhone 5 sales.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/27/...ne-5-strength/
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2012, 12:25 PM   #658
This is The End

We knew they were going to have a huge 12 weeks in the US 12 weeks ago.

This is from post #3 in this very thread:

We are going to be looking at huge iPhone 5 sales numbers.

Sadly that bump will probably be short lived, and they didn't get anywhere close to the worldwide leader. They also had hopes of breaking into Europe, which didn't seem to materialize.

It appears I was also correct about the first part of that post as well:

Almost all of them have been waiting for this day.

So add to that the die-hards that update ASAP every time there is a new version.... We are going to be looking at huge iPhone 5 sales numbers.

From the current source:

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/Glob...o-second-place

Quote:
The majority of US iPhone 5 sales, 62%, have come from existing Apple owners upgrading to the new device
Old 29th November 2012, 02:12 PM   #659
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

You should apply for the million dollar challenge for correctly 'knowing' that iPhone 5 sales would be huge.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:30 AM   #660
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

T-Mobile CEO confirms the iPhone and the death of phone subs

http://gigaom.com/mobile/t-mobile-ce...one-subsidies/

T-Mobile USA CEO John Legere confirmed that the iPhone will be among the Apple products that T-Mobile sells next year, but he said that T-Mo will sell it in a far different way than other carriers. T-Mobile is eliminating all device subsidies in 2013, requiring new customers to pay full price for their phones up front, buy it on installment or bring their own unlocked devices, Legere said speaking at corporate parent Deutsche Telekom’s Capital Markets Day in Bonn.

I certainly hope this catches on and costs can truly be lowered in a no-contract bring-your-own-device scenario.
Old 8th December 2012, 09:11 AM   #661
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

They also had hopes of breaking into Europe, which didn't seem to materialize.
Breaking into Europe? From your own link they are increasing share in many European locations and are a healthy 32% in UK?

Quote:
You missed out the fact that at least 20% were switches from RIM and Android? Why was that?

Also the bump last time was not really shortlived. What makes you think it will be this time? Especially considering the supply issues.

You also ignore stuff like this

Quote:
This time we predict that Apple will beat its previous high of 49.3% and achieve its highest ever share of the US smartphone market within the next two periods

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2012, 04:52 PM   #662
This is The End

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
Breaking into Europe? From your own link they are increasing share in many European locations and are a healthy 32% in UK?
Did you read the rest of the article or just that one sentence??

Quote:
Apple’s rise in the US has not been replicated in quite the same way across Europe where Android still takes the lead, accounting for 73.9% of sales in Germany and 81.7% in Spain.
Quote:
“Germany remains a tough market for Apple with its share falling by 5.1 percentage points over the past year. ”
They had small boosts in 4 countries because of a new model, the only country where they could be considered to have broke ground is the UK.

The UK does not equal Europe.

Also the bump last time was not really shortlived. What makes you think it will be this time? Especially considering the supply issues.

You also ignore stuff like this

Let's examine the sentence that contains my claim:

Sadly that bump will probably be short lived, and they didn't get anywhere close to the worldwide leader.
funk de fino then claims I was talking about how long a bump would last in the US

Not only is that dishonest, but I believe it is intentionally dishonest, as it is not the first time funk de fino has tried something like that in this thread.

So to summarize for funk de fino:

The US does not equal The World.

This is reminiscent of the damage control that Apple fans would use several years ago when faced with the fact that Apple isn't even listed on PC OS market share charts because they have less than 5% market share.

They would produce links that show Apple has greater that 5% market share... in the US.
Old 13th December 2012, 04:04 AM   #663
kajata
Illuminator

Google Maps app is now available for the iPhone (iPad coming soon).

Yeah, it's pretty damn great. Even has turn-by-turn directions and plugs into Apple Maps to offer mass transit routing.

Good to have it back. Now if we could just link it to Siri.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 09:38 AM   #664
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Yes, it was nice of apple to force googles hand into giving us iOS users turn-by-turn ;-)
Old 15th December 2012, 03:53 PM   #665
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Did you read the rest of the article or just that one sentence??
That you fail to see the irony in that post is hilarious. Just stunning.

Quote:
They had small boosts in 4 countries because of a new model, the only country where they could be considered to have broke ground is the UK.
Boosts in the 4 of the 5 major countries. I know far more people with iphones than Samsungs. Most Androids I have seen are HTC. Samsung is only just looking to be the handset of choice.

Quote:
Scotland doesnt equal UK. So what.

Quote:
Let's examine the sentence that contains my claim:

funk de fino then claims I was talking about how long a bump would last in the US

Not only is that dishonest, but I believe it is intentionally dishonest, as it is not the first time funk de fino has tried something like that in this thread.
What are you blabbering about? You claimed the bump would be shortlived. I then said that the last one wasnt so why would this be? Where do you get this fantasy stuff that you think I am posting?

You do know your sentence had two parts and I WAS COMMENTING ON THE FIRST PART.

Quote:
So to summarize for funk de fino:

The US does not equal The World.

Never said it did. I suspect you are the one who is confused here.

Quote:
This is reminiscent of the damage control that Apple fans would use several years ago when faced with the fact that Apple isn't even listed on PC OS market share charts because they have less than 5% market share.

They would produce links that show Apple has greater that 5% market share... in the US.
Irrelevant nonsense. I have never owned an Apple Computer. But anyway, you still ignored the 20% switch. Very ironic again considering the last sentence. Kinda obsessive.

funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2012, 05:30 PM   #666
This is The End

Wow, complete denial of what is in your posts in this thread. How original.

You do realize all we have to do is go back and read them and see that you are wrong?

Aside from that you admit to addressing parts of sentences out of context. So basically you have nothing new to add?
Old 16th December 2012, 04:05 AM   #667
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Wow, complete denial of what is in your posts in this thread. How original. http://www.internationalskeptics.com...s/rolleyes.gif

You do realize all we have to do is go back and read them and see that you are wrong?

Aside from that you admit to addressing parts of sentences out of context. So basically you have nothing new to add?
Please show my dishonesty because it seems English is not your first language. And you have just lied again with your second last sentence. That's a rare feat. If you really want to get into it then please lay it out bit it could get embarrassing even though I suspect you have no shame

Last edited by funk de fino; 16th December 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:56 AM   #668
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Please show my dishonesty because it seems English is not your first language. And you have just lied again with your second last sentence. That's a rare feat. If you really want to get into it then please lay it out bit it could get embarrassing even though I suspect you have no shame
Don't hold your breath. I'm still waiting on a response to posts 655 and 654

Sometimes, it seems, the easier path is to just ignore the posts.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:42 AM   #669
carlitos
"más divertido"

All the time, it seems. Just let it go.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 11:46 PM   #670
This is The End

And you have just lied again with your second last sentence.
The "second last"* sentence in question:

*(coming from a poster who just attacked my English!)

You not only admitted it, you screamed it:

You do know your sentence had two parts and I WAS COMMENTING ON THE FIRST PART.

Wouldn't be the first time you are caught lying by accusing me of lying. That's more than dishonest, that's trying to be sneaky.

You seem to be dancing around your claim like someone else I know, so just come right out and say it.

I made a statement that the worldwide bump Apple recieved from the iPhone 5 launch would probably be short lived:

Sadly that bump will probably be short lived, and they didn't get anywhere close to the worldwide leader.

Even though I also said "probably", you chose to attack that. It seems that you have blinders on that make anything that doesn't put Apple in the most favorable light appear to you to be an attack. Which also is the M.O. of another frequent poster in this thread. Knee jerk damage control.

So, please, just come right out and say it:

You claim that the worldwide bump that Apple received from the iPhone 5 launch will NOT be short lived.

Yes or no?
Old 16th December 2012, 11:48 PM   #671
This is The End

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
All the time, it seems. Just let it go.

Care to tell me how your post there is on topic and which argument it is addressing??
Old 21st December 2012, 01:55 PM   #672
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/Glob...ne-share-in-US

The latest smartphone sales data from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech shows Apple has achieved its highest ever share in the US (53.3%) in the latest 12 weeks*, with the iPhone 5 helping to boost sales. In Europe, however, Android retains the highest share with 61% of the market, up from 51.8% a year ago.

Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, comments: “Apple has reached a major milestone in the US by passing the 50% share mark for the first time, with further gains expected to be made during December.”
Old 4th January 2013, 10:57 PM   #673
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Woman Tasered After 'Trying to Buy Too Many iPhones':
Quote:
Apple has come in for heavy criticism after a woman was allegedly tasered by police at one of its stores after refusing to leave when told she would not be allowed to buy more than two iPhones.

Xiaojie Li of Newton in Massachusetts bought two iPhone 5s at the store in Nashua New Hampshire last week, which were apparently intended as gifts for relatives in China.

When returning to buy a further iPhone this week Li was told by Apple sales staff that she had exceeded a two phones per customer limit designed to foil profit-seeking Internet resellers.

After refusing or failing to understand their request to leave - Li is reported to speak poor English - amateur footage posted on YouTube shows her being dragged from the store by police officers who are accused of tasering her while prone.
When's the last time someone got tasered at a Google store?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2013, 01:00 AM   #674
This is The End

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Woman Tasered After 'Trying to Buy Too Many iPhones':

When's the last time someone got tasered at a Google store?

Was she getting them at a 2-year contract discount price, or was she paying full price?

It must be the former because the latter wouldn't make much sense...
Old 5th January 2013, 09:18 AM   #675
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Shenanigans: Google Maps redirect issue on Windows Phones is a matter of competition

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/0...aps-narrative/

When Google began redirecting Windows Phone users – Windows Phone 7.5 included – away from its Google Maps product, the affected parties were incensed. It instantly became a large story given the competition between the two firms across the technology field, not to mention Microsoft’s attempts to gain mobile market share in the smartphone niche.

For the record, here is Google’s formal statement on the issue:

The mobile web version of Google Maps is optimized for WebKit browsers such as Chrome and Safari. However, since Internet Explorer is not a WebKit browser, Windows Phone devices are not able to access Google Maps for the mobile web.

The statement is somewhat odd. It would appear to be Google’s point that as Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Phone 8 uses a different rendering engine than what WebKit employs, it cannot process maps.google.com. This is perplexing as Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Phone 8 uses the same rendering engine as the desktop build of Internet Explorer 10, which is certainly capable of loading and running Google Maps.

This type of action is a great example of why Apple wouldn't want to leave a control of an important part of an iOS experience (mapping) to a third party( google).
Old 5th January 2013, 09:21 AM   #676
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Was she getting them at a 2-year contract discount price, or was she paying full price?

It must be the former because the latter wouldn't make much sense...
Did you read the story ?
"...which were apparently intended as gifts for relatives in China."

Do you think she signed them up for an AT&T or Verizon contract for that discount ?
Old 5th January 2013, 10:09 AM   #677
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Such policies are the norm over here in the UK - it's to stop what we call "box breakers" these are folks who make money by reselling the phones in different countries.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2013, 12:03 PM   #678
John Albert
Illuminator

I'd say it's a fair assumption that this lady was not buying the phones as mere "gifts" for relatives in China.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2013, 01:17 PM   #679
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

My in-laws from Hong Kong tell me it's common to buy iPhones in North America and resell them for a profit in Hong Kong. In fact, my wife's nephew has done this.

With respect to this specific woman, we don't know what she was doing; she could really have been buying them as gifts - but the behaviour is what I would expect from these types of people (specifically the sense of entitlement). In any event, because people abuse the system this way anyone who legitimately wants to do this can't.
Old 6th January 2013, 02:39 PM   #680
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

I know I really shouldn't bother, but I do find your imaginitive ways of debating quite amusing.

The "second last"* sentence in question:

*(coming from a poster who just attacked my English!)
Unclear what you mean by bolded comment.

Quote:
You not only admitted it, you screamed it:
I did not admit to deliberately taking anything out of context. I asked you a question based on one part of a statement. I also mentioned the supply issues, that were mainly overseas from what I have seen.

Now, was the bump shortlived or not? Worldwide or US. Or Scottish if you want?

Quote:
Wouldn't be the first time you are caught lying by accusing me of lying. That's more than dishonest, that's trying to be sneaky.
Not lying. However it would be no more dishonest than the tactic of ignoring stuff inconvenient to your arguments. Or twisting others arguments. Or making claims up for people.

Quote:
You seem to be dancing around your claim like someone else I know, so just come right out and say it.
What claim was that? Please specifically quote it.

Quote:
I made a statement that the worldwide bump Apple recieved from the iPhone 5 launch would probably be short lived:
Indeed

Quote:
Even though I also said "probably", you chose to attack that. It seems that you have blinders on that make anything that doesn't put Apple in the most favorable light appear to you to be an attack. Which also is the M.O. of another frequent poster in this thread. Knee jerk damage control.
Eh, no.

Quote:
So, please, just come right out and say it:

You claim that the worldwide bump that Apple received from the iPhone 5 launch will NOT be short lived.

Yes or no?
What is it with you and making claims up for people? I asked you why you thought it would be shortlived. Then you threw a hissy fit.

Last edited by funk de fino; 6th January 2013 at 02:41 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet