IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 12th September 2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm

I've read the stuff, I'm underwhelmed re the iPhone 5. Oh well.
Old 12th September 2012, 05:26 PM   #42
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
You'll need to buy all new accessories too, becausa Apple changed the docking port on the 5.

Break out that wallet!
The only iPhone accessory I've purchased was a clear case for it. The only hassle will be syncing everything to my PC, then sync it to the new phone. I'm just one of those iPhone users who never got into the accessory craze.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 05:29 PM   #43
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Spend your money as you wish- but if a 3 year old product is showing signs of age serious enough to need replaced, should you not possibly consider a different manufacturer?

And if the "signs" are not serious enough to warrant replacement, then why would you do so?
In this case, the iPhone is physically in great condition. There are no hardware problems with it. However, the OS updates have rendered it sluggish and it doesn't respond as quickly as I would like. I'm going to keep the old one as a backup phone, or just to use as a mobile iPad / alarm clock. I don't need to replace it, as I'm sure the 3GS would provide service for several more years. However, I want to replace it since I would like an upgrade. That's why I waited for the 5 to come out.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 05:31 PM   #44
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Could you please not dishonestly snip my posts?

The "They need it." was clearly related to the rest of the post. TheL8Elvis likely knew this but yet disingenuously snipped it to contain the unrelated first half of the post and not the 2nd half.

Here is the rest of the post TheL8Elvis intentionally left out.

The "They need it." in that context clearly means "if they want to stop losing ground in phone and phone OS market share". For the past 2 quarters it appears that Apple is going to eventually end up with about a 5 to 10% market share, just like with PCs.

TheL8Elvis tries to make it seem like I meant that Apple is going poor...

Yes, TheL8Elvis, we know that Apple is the richest company in the world. That doesn't make market share facts just go away.
If you would like to do more than simply assert nonsense, please include some actual facts and figures, then we can discuss market share.

As you clearly demonstrated here, you don't have much of a grasp on apples actual market share.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 05:37 PM   #45
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

That is a good point. It is my understanding that there are tons of 3GS users that skipped 4 and 4S completely.

Either they had 3GS since launch way back when (09?), or else they got it more recently in the 4/4S era because it was dirt cheap.

Apple is seriously hoping this (3GS users like Vermonter) is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, why they have been losing market share.
That's a very fair assessment, to me. As much of a tech-head as I am, I haven't had the urge or desire to buy the latest gizmo when it comes out for the sake of having the latest gizmo. Hell, most of the time I wait a year before buying it. This is an exception. I'm not a die-hard fan of Apple, but I do hope that they succeed where they can. Maybe they will regain market share from legacy users upgrading to the 5, who knows? The 3GS is a perfectly functional phone, it's just more sluggish compared to what I would prefer.
Old 12th September 2012, 05:48 PM   #46
This is The End

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
If you would like to do more than simply assert nonsense, please include some actual facts and figures, then we can discuss market share.

As you clearly demonstrated here, you don't have much of a grasp on apples actual market share.
Ugh!!

First of all, I included links to the facts and figures. It's not only linked to in the parts snipped out of what you quoted, it's actually quoted!

You say "please include some actual facts and figures". They were in both posts you quoted. But you wouldn't know it from looking at both of your posts, because it was snipped from my quotes!

They have dipped a bit to around 15% Phone OS market share. I explained why I think that happened in that post. If that would have continued they would be into single digits, just like their PC and PC OS market share. Everyone is predicting a huge bump from the iPhone 5 which should bring them up to maybe 20%. I made that quite clear in my posts.

Second off all, your post from that other thread is clearly a fail. All you have to do is read my quote for comprehension and then look at your source.

Last edited by This is The End; 12th September 2012 at 06:41 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 05:55 PM   #47
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by kajata View Post
This is true. I hear they don't really employ hundreds of engineers but only a few graphic designers to create the pretty boxes to put the finished items in.
You need engineers to connect the chips that contain the smarts.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 06:00 PM   #48
This is The End

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
That's a very fair assessment, to me.
Agreed.

Odd how when TheL8Elvis reads my post, the fact that I am saying that Apple is going to get a huge market share boost in the next couple of months is completely missed.

I'm glad that other people see that I made my opinion clear.

I'm not sure how anyone can read this:

Either they had 3GS since launch way back when (09?), or else they got it more recently in the 4/4S era because it was dirt cheap.

Almost all of them have been waiting for this day.

So add to that the die-hards that update ASAP every time there is a new version.... We are going to be looking at huge iPhone 5 sales numbers.

...and not see that I am saying its a good time for Apple.
Old 12th September 2012, 06:39 PM   #49
Ginarley
Post-normalist

As Schiller points out in the article I posted a few sentences up...
I don't disagree but it is still pretty cool and that's what is missing from Apple's recent announcements which was really my point

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget."- Don Draper

http://authorofconfusion.wordpress.com/
Ginarley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 07:13 PM   #50
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Agreed.

Odd how when TheL8Elvis reads my post, the fact that I am saying that Apple is going to get a huge market share boost in the next couple of months is completely missed.

I'm glad that other people see that I made my opinion clear.
I would be very surprised if Apple didn't have a huge turnout for the iPhone 5. While I don't think many who have the 4 or 4S will make the swap (except for the technophiles), legacy users such as myself will likely upgrade. If it's not a record turnout for sales, it certainly will bring them back up several percentage points of the market share.

The only snafu I really see is that some users may feel alienated with the change in form factor and socket. Then again, when has that stopped people before?

I'm glad that Apple released the specs and relevant information for the iPhone 5 several days before it's available for order. This was a smart move. It allows new and existing users to compare between their existing phone and the 5. I may be wrong, but previously I thought that they released it for sale as soon as it was officially announced.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:24 PM   #51
kajata
Illuminator

I may be wrong, but previously I thought that they released it for sale as soon as it was officially announced.
There's usually a few days between unveiling and orders being taken with the iPhones and iPads.

Anyway, just checked out a few blogs and it's pretty funny to read the comment sections and how Apple is either the greatest company ever or the worst.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 07:28 PM   #52
merentha
Critical Thinker

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/app...ip-in-october/

So, no video or audio out with the expensive little adapter, thus rendering all those audio/media systems with iPod docks obsolete.

By the way, I love the expandable memory slots on my S3 phone and my Sony tablet. I don't have pay a manufacturer's tax to get that extra 32GB. It's not an anti-Apple thing. I didn't buy the HTC One-X precisely because it has no expandable memory slot.
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 07:33 PM   #53
This is The End

The only snafu I really see is that some users may feel alienated with the change in form factor and socket. Then again, when has that stopped people before?
At first I would have said no. As others have said in this thread.

But then 2 posts after yours:

Originally Posted by merentha View Post
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/12/app...ip-in-october/

So, no video or audio out with the expensive little adapter, thus rendering all those audio/media systems with iPod docks obsolete.

Quote:
“Video and iPod Out not supported.”
With the adapter.

There may be some unhappy customers after all.

This now goes a bit farther from "we didn't have room for it" into "forced upgrade" territory.
Old 12th September 2012, 07:37 PM   #54
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

At first I would have said no. As others have said in this thread.

But then 2 posts after yours:
With the adapter.

There may be some unhappy customers after all.

This now goes a bit farther from "we didn't have room for it" into "forced upgrade" territory.
I just read that. I saw the adapter, but didn't read into what the limitations were. I agree, this is definitely in "forced upgrade" territory, and there will be a (very understandable) backlash as a result. If I had a bunch of accessories that used A/V out, I'd be pretty torqued!
Old 12th September 2012, 08:15 PM   #55
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Meh.

When someone complains about 'swappable batteries' an I ask them about their own phone/laptop and how many extra batteries they carry, the answer has always been zero.

You seemed less emphatic about this a few months ago, when the same subject came up in this thread, and a number of people pointed out that they routinely carry spare batteries.

Quote:
I understand that is anecdotal evidence, but there it is anyway.

Or not.

Quote:
Besides, external batteries/battery powered chargers can be had that serve the same purpose, so I don't even see how that is a valid issue.

<snip>

Spare batteries are smaller, for one thing. Why buy a battery to charge another battery with a battery charger unless it's a battery you can't swap out.

Other reasons ... for example ...

My dad turned 82 last month, and for some stocking-stuffer type presents I got him a couple of spare batteries and a spare USB data/charger cable for his phone, plus one of these.

You see, he likes to go camping on the Outer Banks, and is prone to leave his car charger in his other car. He's run out of phone juice pretty regularly down there. Now he can keep the universal charger and spare cable in his toiletry kit, and he'll always have a few days worth of batteries charged up 'til he can get to a power source, if he needs them.

Sometimes he forgets to put his phone on the charger even when he's home. (Hey, he's 82. ) It's more convenient for him to swap in a charged battery and put the used one on a charger than it is to hook up the phone and wait.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 09:23 PM   #56
The Dark Lord

So what could they have added that would have wowed you?

and don't say "Jelly Bean"!
I dunno. Certainly not features the competition has had for years.

So, it sounds like the proper conclusion is that every LTE and 4" phone that has come out in the last 2 years (after the first one) has been 'meh' ? It was only exciting the for the first ever LTE/4" screen phone ?
It is certainly no big deal to get an Android phone with an LTE radio anymore. Of the Android phones Verizon has on their website, 16 have LTE radios. 4 do not. AT&T has 10 Android phones with LTE radios. 5 without.
The Dark Lord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 02:37 AM   #57
Agular
Critical Thinker

Agular is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 03:20 AM   #58
brodski
Tea-Time toad

almost 60 posts and none has mentioned the killer feature yet? How the phone market has lasted so long without wrist straps I'll never know.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 04:02 AM   #59
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm

Wrist strap, oh man!
Old 13th September 2012, 05:11 AM   #60
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
Wrist strap, oh man!
Stand by for lawsuits from Nintendo's Wii patent division
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 05:21 AM   #61
mikeyx
Banned

Sad is your cultish devotion to Apple.... in other news, Windows continues to suck
mikeyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 05:49 AM   #62
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Let me break it down for you more clearly, then...

That is a good point. It is my understanding that there are tons of 3GS users that skipped 4 and 4S completely.
Evidence ? Where did you get this understanding from.

Almost all of them have been waiting for this day.

So add to that the die-hards that update ASAP every time there is a new version.... We are going to be looking at huge iPhone 5 sales numbers.

They need it.

Android/Samsung have been absolutely gobbling up the smart phone market share:

Apple is seriously hoping this (3GS users like Vermonter) is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, why they have been losing market share.
Did you speak with tim cook ? Did he tell you this ?

How did you draw the conclusion that 3GS users waiting to upgrade might be the main reason for apple losing market share.

You only linked to data for the last quarter - not overall market share, and not any prior data that might show any trends, such as sales dipping the quarter before the expected new phone release every year.

Ugh!!
First of all, I included links to the facts and figures. It's not only linked to in the parts snipped out of what you quoted, it's actually quoted!
2nd level quotes don't appear in responses.

You say "please include some actual facts and figures". They were in both posts you quoted. But you wouldn't know it from looking at both of your posts, because it was snipped from my quotes!
I read your link with 'facts and figures. It didn't do anything to support the point you were trying to make. See above about how quotes work when I hit reply.

They have dipped a bit to around 15% Phone OS market share. I explained why I think that happened in that post. If that would have continued they would be into single digits, just like their PC and PC OS market share. Everyone is predicting a huge bump from the iPhone 5 which should bring them up to maybe 20%. I made that quite clear in my posts.
Which smart phone manufacturer has more market share than apple ?

Second off all, your post from that other thread is clearly a fail. All you have to do is read my quote for comprehension and then look at your source.
Please elaborate. You claim apple has only 12million active devices but my post is a fail ?
ETA: I see you responded in the other thread, so we can keep that topic there ...

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 13th September 2012 at 06:58 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:05 AM   #63
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
I'm not blown away by the new iPhone, but I'll probably still get one anyway, simply due to there being no reasonable alternatives. Android has an acceptable app catalog, but no nice hardware (expecting perhaps HTC's One X).
What's wrong with the Galaxy S III? Too big?

Last edited by CynicalSkeptic; 13th September 2012 at 06:14 AM.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:06 AM   #64
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You seemed less emphatic about this a few months ago, when the same subject came up in this thread, and a number of people pointed out that they routinely carry spare batteries.
I was referring to people I know IRL. But as I said in that thread,
People who need extra batteries, swap SD cards, root/jailbreak thier phones, etc are the exception, not the rule.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Spare batteries are smaller, for one thing. Why buy a battery to charge another battery with a battery charger unless it's a battery you can't swap out.

Other reasons ... for example ...

My dad turned 82 last month, and for some stocking-stuffer type presents I got him a couple of spare batteries and a spare USB data/charger cable for his phone, plus one of these.

You see, he likes to go camping on the Outer Banks, and is prone to leave his car charger in his other car. He's run out of phone juice pretty regularly down there. Now he can keep the universal charger and spare cable in his toiletry kit, and he'll always have a few days worth of batteries charged up 'til he can get to a power source, if he needs them.

Sometimes he forgets to put his phone on the charger even when he's home. (Hey, he's 82. ) It's more convenient for him to swap in a charged battery and put the used one on a charger than it is to hook up the phone and wait.
I don't see why something like this, Stitchway UltraPower 1900 mAh Backup Battery Charger for iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4G, iPod, and iPod touch - External, Portable, Rechargeable (Black) isn't pretty much functionally equivalent. It's small, portable and cheap. I think that makes the non-removable battery a non-issue for those few folks who feel the need to have spare batteries.
Old 13th September 2012, 06:23 AM   #65
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
almost 60 posts and none has mentioned the killer feature yet? How the phone market has lasted so long without wrist straps I'll never know.
I know the intention of your post was to show off your biting sarcasm but the wrist strap is for the iPod Touch, not the iPhone.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:43 AM   #66
richardm
Philosopher

I know the intention of your post was to show off your biting sarcasm but the wrist strap is for the iPod Touch, not the iPhone.
Then I shall wait for the iPhone 5Strap
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 06:48 AM   #67
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by richardm View Post
Then I shall wait for the iPhone 5Strap
I think Samsung will have one out in a few weeks.
Old 13th September 2012, 06:57 AM   #68
Dan O.
Banned

I just read that. I saw the adapter, but didn't read into what the limitations were. I agree, this is definitely in "forced upgrade" territory, and there will be a (very understandable) backlash as a result. If I had a bunch of accessories that used A/V out, I'd be pretty torqued!

In the other side, they give you streaming video mirroring so it can perform the same function without tying the phone down.

Will it be possible to create a app to turn the old iPhone into an apple tv like device? Then you could stream content from the new phone through the old phone and onto the video dock thing.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 07:42 AM   #69
no one in particular
muse

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths
For the claim to be literally true, it is only required that about twenty-three1 3GS users skipped 4 and 4S.

1The number of average American's required to make the word "ton" plural.
Old 13th September 2012, 07:48 AM   #70
Dan O.
Banned

Anyway, this new article sums up many of those features we have been hearing about:

iPhone 5: 10 Rumored Features You'll Already Find in Competing Devices
Well here is the first of those 10 that it appears Apple did not come through with:

Quote:
1. Near-field communication

This is an easy one, isn’t it? Near-field communication is an absolute necessity in every smartphone going forward, and yet, it’s not available in Apple’s iPhone. That’ll likely change with the iPhone 5. However, several companies, including Apple’s arch-nemesis Samsung, have already bundled NFC into their products. Sorry, Apple, but you’re a little late to the game.
And it was #1 on that list, they considered it a "no-brainer".

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-...es-sept-dot-21

Quote:
One feature missing from the new phone is a chip for near-field communications, or NFC. Other top-of-the-line phones are incorporating such chips, which let phones work as credit cards at some store payment terminals. They also enable phones to share data when "bumped" into each other.

One of the problems with any radio communication is that the user cannot see where the communication is comming from. While NFC reduced power makes interception and spoofing unlikely, it cannot be prevented entirely.

An alternative to Near Field Communications would be Near Sighted Communications. A QR code on one device can be read by a camera on another device. With a smart phone, the user can see the image that is being scanned. The phone can then be turned around to present a reply.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:14 AM   #71
chulbert
Muse

Why anybody would compare the number of physical devices by a single manufacturer to the number of operating system installs across multiple manufacturers is not clear to me.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:21 AM   #72
chulbert
Muse

And it was #1 on that list, they considered it a "no-brainer".
The only thing no-brainer about it were the people who predicted it.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:24 AM   #73
chulbert
Muse

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
One of the problems with any radio communication is that the user cannot see where the communication is comming from. While NFC reduced power makes interception and spoofing unlikely, it cannot be prevented entirely.

An alternative to Near Field Communications would be Near Sighted Communications. A QR code on one device can be read by a camera on another device. With a smart phone, the user can see the image that is being scanned. The phone can then be turned around to present a reply.
Not to mention the bottom line: NFC payment methods are buggy and unreliable. It's exceptionally uncommon for Apple to release a feature that guarantee to work.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:34 AM   #74
elgarak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
Not to mention the bottom line: NFC payment methods are buggy and unreliable. It's exceptionally uncommon for Apple to release a feature that guarantee to work.
From what I understand, Apple plans to introduce "self checkout" in their own stores. No additional hardware required: Use the camera to scan the barcode on the product, and send payment information to Apple, who have the customer's credit card info on file.

No reason to extend that to other stores as well. Of course, it means Apple's in the loop for all payments, but I guess there's a way around that.

From Apple's point of view: Why invest in R&D for NFC to make it safe and reliable when you already have a safe and reliable equivalent function on hand that just needs to be licensed and contracted?
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:40 AM   #75
elgarak
Illuminator

Let me break it down for you more clearly, then...

Did you speak with tim cook ? Did he tell you this ?

How did you draw the conclusion that 3GS users waiting to upgrade might be the main reason for apple losing market share.

You only linked to data for the last quarter - not overall market share, and not any prior data that might show any trends, such as sales dipping the quarter before the expected new phone release every year.

2nd level quotes don't appear in responses.

I read your link with 'facts and figures. It didn't do anything to support the point you were trying to make. See above about how quotes work when I hit reply.

Which smart phone manufacturer has more market share than apple ?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1d5fb55b73.jpg

Please elaborate. You claim apple has only 12million active devices but my post is a fail ?
ETA: I see you responded in the other thread, so we can keep that topic there ...
Another metric: According to NetMarketShare*, iOS has a 65% share of mobile internet traffic, vs. 21% for Android. It seems that Android owners don't use their phones and tablets for much web browsing....

*I'm not sure of their hot linking/image copying policies, but I think a direct links seems OK.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 08:46 AM   #76
merentha
Critical Thinker

Batteries die over time. I like the practicality of simply popping in a new battery instead of sending in the entire phone to be fixed.

There is also a vanity reason for the removable battery cover on the Samsung S3. This. I turned my pebble blue phone into a sweet hot pink with a pop of a lid. The official case replaces the original back cover for a sleek effect. :-)
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:05 AM   #77
funk de fino
Dreaming of unicorns

Let me break it down for you more clearly, then...Which smart phone manufacturer has more market share than apple ?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1d5fb55b73.jpg
You do know that is just USA market?

Stundie - Avoided like the plaque, its a scottish turn of phrase.
funk de fino is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:10 AM   #78
merentha
Critical Thinker

NFC isn't limited to payment. Programmable NFC tags can be really useful. E.g. tap a tag in your car to instantly switch the phone to handsfree mode + turn on GPS without flipping through the screen menu, or switch to music player mode on the fly. Any bets that if this feature is introduced in the iPhone 5S, the Apple faithfuls will think it's the best thing since sliced bread and that it's all thanks to Apple "innovation"?
Old 13th September 2012, 09:17 AM   #79
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by elgarak View Post
From what I understand, Apple plans to introduce "self checkout" in their own stores. No additional hardware required: Use the camera to scan the barcode on the product, and send payment information to Apple, who have the customer's credit card info on file.

No reason to extend that to other stores as well. Of course, it means Apple's in the loop for all payments, but I guess there's a way around that.

From Apple's point of view: Why invest in R&D for NFC to make it safe and reliable when you already have a safe and reliable equivalent function on hand that just needs to be licensed and contracted?
Apple started self checkout last year.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/08/...retail-stores/
Old 13th September 2012, 09:19 AM   #80
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by funk de fino View Post
You do know that is just USA market?
Yes, globally I imagine Samsung is beating apple (for right now )

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet