IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 13th September 2012, 08:55 PM   #121
This is The End

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
It's also crazy to attribute them to Samsung no?
Agreed. If anyone gets credit, it's 1970s Sony!
Old 13th September 2012, 08:58 PM   #122
This is The End

There were of course dirty little design reasons why a larger screen was problematic. iOS didn't have scaling built in very well. It couldn't do different screen sizes without a lot of tweaking. This had some advantages sure, but it became a liability when people wanted versatility.
Which could be one of the reasons they just made the i5 taller instead of bigger. Old apps that don't scale will have a black bar at the top, instead of on 2 or all sides (centered)....
Old 13th September 2012, 09:02 PM   #123
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Agreed. If anyone gets credit, it's 1970s Sony!
A much more defensible position!

Which could be one of the reasons they just made the i5 taller instead of bigger. Old apps that don't scale will have a black bar at the top, instead of on 2 or all sides (centered)....
That's true. They didn't actually scale at all. The icons aren't even larger, they just added a fifth row and are saying it's so you don't need as many home pages. The pixel density is even the same, so no change at all for all the old programs apps (I still don't see a good reason to call them that).

However, the longer and not wider also makes 16:9, an extremely common video format, more supportable.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:04 PM   #124
Furcifer

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
But Apple likes to have proprietary interfaces, not because theirs are any better but because they can charge the rubes more money.
My current phone has a mini USB, that was another selling feature for me. I really don't need a charger anymore, just a $1 mini USB to standard USB cable. I can charge my phone off of another computer, most TV's, my PS3, almost anything with a USB port will work.

Apple's only got the one model, it's supposed to be the Cadillac but it's really more of an Oldsmobile.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2012, 09:14 PM   #125
This is The End

However, the longer and not wider also makes 16:9, an extremely common video format, more supportable.
Not to get off topic, but have you seen those new 2.35:1 compatible TVs (21:9). I want one!
Old 13th September 2012, 09:14 PM   #126
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Someone referred to thinness and screensize as Samsung innovations. That is just a continuation of what Apple has been doing with the iX line, including the iMac. Personally, they've long reached the point where I'd prefer they tried to stick in more memory or something over less space.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Just a poke at Apple insisting that they drive innovation, that others follow. They are innovative, but not to the degree they claim.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 05:42 AM   #127
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Evidence ? Where did you get this understanding from.
Did you speak with tim cook ? Did he tell you this ?
How did you draw the conclusion that 3GS users waiting to upgrade might be the main reason for apple losing market share.
You only linked to data for the last quarter - not overall market share, and not any prior data that might show any trends, such as sales dipping the quarter before the expected new phone release every year.

2nd level quotes don't appear in responses.

I read your link with 'facts and figures. It didn't do anything to support the point you were trying to make. See above about how quotes work when I hit reply.

Which smart phone manufacturer has more market share than apple ?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1d5fb55b73.jpg

Please elaborate. You claim apple has only 12million active devices but my post is a fail ?
ETA: I see you responded in the other thread, so we can keep that topic there ...
The first time you dishonestly snipped my post to remove the relevant 2nd part. That is quite clear to anyone that reads my first response to you in this thread.

It's as clear as all the questions you dodged that you left out of your response. (see above).

The second time you chose to not include the quote. Just because it doesn't automagically do it for you does not mean it is hard. The telling part was when you accused me of not posting "'actual facts and figures". You cant blame missing that on the forum.
Perhaps you missed the first time I said it because you were busy deleting all the parts of my post that you didn't address...
I read your link with 'facts and figures. It didn't do anything to support the point you were trying to make.

In the USA. It was quite clear. I doubt anyone thought I meant worldwide except for you.
Why do you think I thought you meant worldwide ? Iphone is the leading smartphone in the US.

Let me ask again ... Which smart phone manufacturer has more market share than apple (in the US)?

Please try not to dodge the question this time.

So what did you do? You flailed, grasped at strawmen, and moved the goalposts.

Everyone can go to that thread to see my response.
I'll have to ask you to provide evidence for the flailing, the strawmen, and the goalpost moving. Again, simply asserting all these things does not make it so.

I think the main point is, that I was being quite optimistic about Apple in this thread. Yet you had blinders on and couldn't even see it.
No, I think the main point is you asserted a bunch of nonsense and won't defend it, and simply try to handwave the objections away.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 05:48 AM   #128
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Furcifer View Post
My current phone has a mini USB, that was another selling feature for me. I really don't need a charger anymore, just a $1 mini USB to standard USB cable. I can charge my phone off of another computer, most TV's, my PS3, almost anything with a USB port will work.

Apple's only got the one model, it's supposed to be the Cadillac but it's really more of an Oldsmobile.
My current phone has a 30-pin connector, that was another selling feature for me. I really don't need a charger anymore, just a $1 30-pin connector to standard USB cable. I can charge my phone off of another computer, most TV's, my PS3, almost anything with a USB port will work.

See what I did there ? For almost a decade, the same thing was true of apple. In fact, I thought most phones had moved to micro USB. And any new phone that takes more than 500 ma really won't always charge off any old USB port.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 06:00 AM   #129
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

The 4S was labeled an incremental improvement hold over, and it had more wow with the nicer camera and Siri than the 5 does. Oh it will sell ever well, there is a pent up consumer base to feed. But I just can't get excited.

Not for this phone anyway. I can't wait for the Note 2.
Hmmm... Are you sure you aren't me?

I do wonder if the camera will be one of the better aspects of the 5's technology refresh, hard to tell from the usual marketing spin.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 06:24 AM   #130
chulbert
Muse

What could they have put in for a 'wow' factor? A screen with better pixel density maybe instead of one 30% thinner? Already I've been asked it it will be easier to break. A projected keyboard? A different form factor that actually helped? Stereo cameras with cool integrated software? Twenty hours of battery power? Hell, I don't know. Then again, I only sell the things and am not several teams of highly trained, experienced, and paid developers.
To some degree, I think we are generally past the era of "wow factors." I really hate to bet against innovation because that's always a losing bet but, generally speaking, these devices are mature.

For example (yours), their displays are higher resolution that your eyeball; there's no where to go from there.

Quote:
The 4S was labeled an incremental improvement hold over, and it had more wow with the nicer camera and Siri than the 5 does. Oh it will sell ever well, there is a pent up consumer base to feed. But I just can't get excited.

Not for this phone anyway. I can't wait for the Note 2.
I have told many people that I thought the 4S was a bigger upgrade from the 4 than the 5 is from the 4S.

This doesn't need to persuade you but it's an interesting take:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/the-iphone-5-event/

Last edited by chulbert; 14th September 2012 at 07:13 AM.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 07:05 AM   #131
chulbert
Muse

There were of course dirty little design reasons why a larger screen was problematic. iOS didn't have scaling built in very well. It couldn't do different screen sizes without a lot of tweaking. This had some advantages sure, but it became a liability when people wanted versatility.
I'm a Mac and iOS developer and I can say with complete certainty that the statement, "iOS didn't have scaling built in very well," is completely, verifiably wrong.

Despite their R&D secrecy, Apple is incredibly straightforward most of the time about their values and direction. Multiple screen sizes compromise something of extreme value to Apple: user experience. They want developers to sweat the details and that's harder to do when there are 17 different screen sizes. They value one-handed operation and that becomes awkward or impossible as the device gets wider.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 07:11 AM   #132
chulbert
Muse

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Odd, everyone else has been using the old standard tech without problems. 1/8" stereo jacks have been around for decades, USB plugs of various types since 1994.

But Apple likes to have proprietary interfaces, not because theirs are any better but because they can charge the rubes more money.
I think it's pretty clear the proprietary Dock and Lightning connectors are technically superior to everything else that's out there. They may bring in a little extra spending money for Apple but it's disingenuous to characterize them as a simple money grab.
Old 14th September 2012, 01:41 PM   #133
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDCDruWZ38
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 04:22 PM   #134
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Hmmm... Are you sure you aren't me?

I do wonder if the camera will be one of the better aspects of the 5's technology refresh, hard to tell from the usual marketing spin.
I'm pretty sure I'm not you, but I haven't checked recently.

They've done a bang up job with cameras in their phones for the last three gens, so it might just be one of the better aspects. But the other makers have stepped up in that in the most recent gen too. The HTC One X specifically has a great sensor. It's hard to say, but it seems a supportable position especially if iOX6 doesn't bring the thunder.

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
To some degree, I think we are generally past the era of "wow factors." I really hate to bet against innovation because that's always a losing bet but, generally speaking, these devices are mature.

For example (yours), their displays are higher resolution that your eyeball; there's no where to go from there.
I read that article on cnet as well about the 'ho hum' era of smart phones and I disagree to a degree. The SIII had plenty of wow. So did the Razr and Razr Maxx. The Razr MaxxHD seems like an incremental improvement though. The Note II seems to have TONS of wow on tap, although that could just be hype in some cases.

Granting that the screens are higher resolution than the human eye (is that really true?), there are other aspects of the screen that can certainly wow. A higher contrast, better in sun performance, more color, faster response times, flexibility...there are more to displays than the pixel density/count.

Then there is augmented reality integration besides gimick apps. How about the ability for the camera to look at a printed calendar or time sheet and update the appointments list? The SIII learns your face. What about wireless charging. Apple would be the perfect company to make that big if they wanted to. Star Trek isn't mined out yet for ideas.

Quote:
I have told many people that I thought the 4S was a bigger upgrade from the 4 than the 5 is from the 4S.

This doesn't need to persuade you but it's an interesting take:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/the-iphone-5-event/
It's a neat article, but while it has some good points, it's basically an Apple cheerleader article. Yes, Apple makes good stuff, but this comes off as one stock price drop away from apologetics. Lots of people have lots of takes on what makes Apple Apple, and why this move should now make sense, or that move was actually genius. They've been saying it for years, despite the success or failure of any of those moves.

I don't find the need to justify every move they make personally. They aren't going anywhere for a while at least. Doesn't change my disappointment in the 5 thus far, only the 5 could do that.

I'm a Mac and iOS developer and I can say with complete certainty that the statement, "iOS didn't have scaling built in very well," is completely, verifiably wrong.
Oh? I distinctly remember it in a Cnet article a year or two ago about why a smaller iPad was unlikely. Is that something redone in iOS5, or has it always been the case? I'll have a try at finding the article. It could very well be that they only meant that in comparison to Android. Or I could be completely misremembering it. That's always an option.

Quote:
Despite their R&D secrecy, Apple is incredibly straightforward most of the time about their values and direction. Multiple screen sizes compromise something of extreme value to Apple: user experience.
Yes, according to their design philosophy. It's the main reason I cited, and something I disagree with them on.

Quote:
They want developers to sweat the details and that's harder to do when there are 17 different screen sizes.
I doubt this would be the case if scaling were really that easy. I'm not saying that this isn't true in that Apple doesn't really believe it, but that it's another design philosophy I disagree with. Making things run for different sizes does add a layer of complication, so I do understand the reasoning, I simply disagree with it. Oh, I wasn't talking 17 different sizes, but four or five. It's entirely possible that by the end of the year we will be up to four anyway, so it seems like they are backing off it anyway.

Quote:
They value one-handed operation and that becomes awkward or impossible as the device gets wider.
For some. For some it's already too wide to use one handed. For others (myself) it becomes dramatically less awkward when made wider. There are many tasks that I can't do one handed on an iPhone that I can on a SIII, or Razr. Yes, there are many that are easier on an iPhone as well. What gets me is that many times on an iPhone, I have to resort to selecting with the side of my pinky finger to get a small selection point. Again, I have to do that with Android devices as well, but less often.

I forgot the disclaimer! I am an associate of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., employed as a Wireless associate, and an Electronics Associate at Sam's Club. They have not directed me to say anything I'm saying. My opinions are my own and do not represent Wal-Mart or any vendors, suppliers, or other associated companies. My opinions are not based on information supplied to me by Verizon, AT&T, Apple, Samsung or any other company, nor using sales or other confidential information from my job. My information mainly comes from experience with the devices, those observations, and a lot of reading on Cnet. Although I do read Cnet a lot at work when I'm at Wireless, so I don't know if that counts as 'information from work'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 04:26 PM   #135
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Not to get off topic, but have you seen those new 2.35:1 compatible TVs (21:9). I want one!
Sold one the other day. Vizio makes some nice sets, in my opinion. Movies look great, and I'd bet even better in a darker space. I wish they didn't have semi-gloss screens though.
Old 14th September 2012, 04:33 PM   #136
This is The End

I read your link with 'facts and figures. It didn't do anything to support the point you were trying to make.
That just proves that you didn't read those links. They quite clearly back up my point. Almost impossible to miss.

Why do you think I thought you meant worldwide ? Iphone is the leading smartphone in the US.
More proof that you didn't read the links. If you can combine all the iPhone versions into one, why can't we combine the Samsung phone versions into one? It's a sad trick, and its the only way you could even get close to getting your numbers to work.

Samsung phones have at least double the market share of iPhone phones.

It's not even close.

No, I think the main point is you asserted a bunch of nonsense and won't defend it, and simply try to handwave the objections away.
I'll leave that for others to decide. They can read the thread. The evidence for who is spewing nonsense is quite clear.

--------------

You build a strawman (more like grasping at strawmen there are so many). I knock them down. You immediately lie and say they weren't strawmen and on top of that make 7 more. This gets old. It took 3 cycles of that to even get you to admit I posted cites the first time.

Apple has less than 20% of the Smartphone market. They were dropping, but are expected to get a boost off of the i5. Possibly to 20%.

That was the point. The cites were in the very first post where I said it.

On top of that, it was clearly meant to be good news for Apple! I don't think anyone else in this thread saw that differently.

Last edited by This is The End; 14th September 2012 at 04:43 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 04:38 PM   #137
This is The End

It is from a certain distance away. 10 inches or something off the top of my head.

I'm near-sited. I want it to have no visible pixels with my nose on it!

So, yes, there is plenty of room for improvement on pixel density.
Old 14th September 2012, 04:48 PM   #138
This is The End

Granting that the screens are higher resolution than the human eye (is that really true?)
No. See above. It's only from a minimum distance away. 10 inches, or even 1 foot or something, I don't remember. It's lame Apple propaganda that people eat up.

When it get's to "from 1 inch away" it will be more truth and less lame propaganda.
Old 14th September 2012, 04:52 PM   #139
This is The End

I forgot the disclaimer! I am an associate of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., employed as a Wireless associate, and an Electronics Associate at Sam's Club.
Not to plug, but you guys have great prices!

Anyone who gets their phone or upgrade from a "real" brick&morter AT&T or Verizon store and not from the Wal-Mart phone desk is getting ripped off!

Way lower prices, even on brand new phone versions sometimes.
Old 14th September 2012, 05:02 PM   #140
a_unique_person

I think it's pretty clear the proprietary Dock and Lightning connectors are technically superior to everything else that's out there. They may bring in a little extra spending money for Apple but it's disingenuous to characterize them as a simple money grab.
Lightning was developed by Intel, as a new generation USB port capable of carrying high definition video to multiple monitors on a single cable. It makes sense to do this, and I hope that, just like USB, it will be an open standard that helps advance technology for everyone, and is not dumbed down into an Apple only closed world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface)

Note once again, this is not the result of Apple genius, but of the hard work being done by scientists and engineers from another company.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 05:49 PM   #141
Aidoneus
Thinker

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Lightning was developed by Intel, as a new generation USB port capable of carrying high definition video to multiple monitors on a single cable. It makes sense to do this, and I hope that, just like USB, it will be an open standard that helps advance technology for everyone, and is not dumbed down into an Apple only closed world.

Note once again, this is not the result of Apple genius, but of the hard work being done by scientists and engineers from another company.
The Lightning connector in the iPhone 5 has nothing to do with Intel.
Aidoneus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #142
This is The End

Fixing the broken link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder...28interface%29
Old 14th September 2012, 06:22 PM   #143
This is The End

Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
The Lightning connector in the iPhone 5 has nothing to do with Intel.
I don't know if that is true one way or the other. But I do know that Apple has been using and plugging Intel Thunderbolt on the new iMacs.
Old 14th September 2012, 07:46 PM   #144
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Not to plug, but you guys have great prices!

Anyone who gets their phone or upgrade from a "real" brick&morter AT&T or Verizon store and not from the Wal-Mart phone desk is getting ripped off!

Way lower prices, even on brand new phone versions sometimes.
I worded that poorly. I work at Sam's Club at both wireless and electronics and have never worked at Wal-Mart proper. Wal-Mart and Sam's Club are the same company though, so I do work for Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

Still great prices though. We don't get commission, and the prices of the phones are consistently fifty to one hundred dollars below the carrier stores. That is except for the Apple devices of course.
Old 14th September 2012, 07:52 PM   #145
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

Well, I took the plunge. iPhone 5 ordered this morning! I'll let you all know what I think next week when it comes in.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 07:57 PM   #146
This is The End

We don't get commission, and the prices of the phones are consistently fifty to one hundred dollars below the carrier stores.
Exactly. I don't know why everyone doesn't upgrade there, there's no reason not to.

That is except for the Apple devices of course.
Of course. And apple wouldn't have it any other way. Just like they don't allow a 3rd party cord adapter for the new i5.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:19 PM   #147
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

Note you're wrong.

Thunderbolt and Lighting are two different things. Lightning is a result of the hard work that was done by scientists and engineers at Apple.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 09:20 PM   #148
chulbert
Muse

It is from a certain distance away. 10 inches or something off the top of my head.

I'm near-sited. I want it to have no visible pixels with my nose on it!

So, yes, there is plenty of room for improvement on pixel density.
Oh for crying out loud. I appreciate your situation and I would agree with something a little more even-handed but c'mon.
Old 14th September 2012, 09:25 PM   #149
chulbert
Muse

I read that article on cnet as well about the 'ho hum' era of smart phones and I disagree to a degree. The SIII had plenty of wow. So did the Razr and Razr Maxx. The Razr MaxxHD seems like an incremental improvement though. The Note II seems to have TONS of wow on tap, although that could just be hype in some cases.

Granting that the screens are higher resolution than the human eye (is that really true?), there are other aspects of the screen that can certainly wow. A higher contrast, better in sun performance, more color, faster response times, flexibility...there are more to displays than the pixel density/count.

Then there is augmented reality integration besides gimick apps. How about the ability for the camera to look at a printed calendar or time sheet and update the appointments list? The SIII learns your face. What about wireless charging. Apple would be the perfect company to make that big if they wanted to. Star Trek isn't mined out yet for ideas.
The iPhone 5 has several of those things. However, it turns out there's not much wow in 44% better color saturation.

I think we're just going to agree to disagree on this but I will say one more thing -- Apple rarely takes a stab-in-the-dark approach to new features.
Old 14th September 2012, 09:44 PM   #150
Furcifer

See what I did there ? For almost a decade, the same thing was true of apple. In fact, I thought most phones had moved to micro USB. And any new phone that takes more than 500 ma really won't always charge off any old USB port.
I think the Crack Berry adopted the micro while most others use the mini. But again, the micro to mini adapter is $1 and sold just about everywhere. Apple has gone in another, more costly to the consumer direction yet again it seems.

I'll say this, the first company to go completely wireless will get my money. I'm approaching critical mass when it comes to wall chargers.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2012, 10:00 PM   #151
merentha
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Furcifer View Post
I think the Crack Berry adopted the micro while most others use the mini.
Every major non-Apple smartphone, including the Blackberry, should be using the microUSB charging ports by now. A god-send for minimizing cable spaghetti since I have to carry along the office blackberry for work on top of my personal S3. Also makes it easy to nick a charger from colleagues when I forgot mine.
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2012, 04:13 AM   #152
a_unique_person

The microUSB is just too small and fragile, with the 'key' not being distinct enough, leading to an inability to plug one in without checking the orientation visually. I prefer the more durable MiniUSB, and it only takes up a fraction more space.
Old 15th September 2012, 07:09 AM   #153
Dan O.
Banned

Apple has taken the standards route in the past. FireWire comes to mind as one example. Intel stole part of FireWire and created the "Unused Serial Bus" (USB) as it's own desktop device connection standard. Apple endorsed the USB standard with the introduction of the iMac, telling the world that USB was good and here to stay.

But now it's time for something better. Is Lightning going to be that next standard?

We are leaving behind the era of having one smart computer and a bunch of dumb peripherals. When you plug a phone into a computer, which one should be in charge of the connection? FireWire provided peer to peer connections. There could be multiple masters on the bus at the same time each doing their own thing. USB lost that ability but it wasn't needed at the time. Is Lightning the next generation of the FireWire bus?
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2012, 03:10 PM   #154
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

The iPhone 5 has several of those things. However, it turns out there's not much wow in 44% better color saturation.

I think we're just going to agree to disagree on this but I will say one more thing -- Apple rarely takes a stab-in-the-dark approach to new features.
Wait, does it really have 44% better color saturation? Which measure are they using? That would should be pretty impressive to see.

Yes, Apple usually refines and polishes to the Nth degree rather than does anything super daring. Now they often pull off stuff that seems daring, but actually has a lot of research and planning behind it.

I can agree to disagree on design philosophy. I do wish I had more Apple stuff to sell.
Old 15th September 2012, 04:39 PM   #155
chulbert
Muse

Wait, does it really have 44% better color saturation? Which measure are they using? That would should be pretty impressive to see.
So it claims. Here's an article:

http://www.zdnet.com/an-analysis-of-...ay-7000004286/

We won't have hard numbers until people get their hands on them.
Old 15th September 2012, 05:31 PM   #156
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

More proof that you didn't read the links. If you can combine all the iPhone versions into one, why can't we combine the Samsung phone versions into one? It's a sad trick, and its the only way you could even get close to getting your numbers to work.

Samsung phones have at least double the market share of iPhone phones.

It's not even close.
Apple is the leading smartphone manufactureer in the US.

How you can keep saying samsung is beyond me.

Can you read the chart above ????

Apple has 34% of the US smartphone market. Samsung has 17%.

Did you mean to say apple has double samsung ?
Old 15th September 2012, 05:35 PM   #157
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Got any numbers on the total market share? Apple doesn't make a non-smart phone but Samsung sells a lot of phones like the Convey II and Rugby II. The non-smart phone market isn't completely gone and Samsung is a full phone line manufacturer.
Old 15th September 2012, 06:08 PM   #158
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Got any numbers on the total market share? Apple doesn't make a non-smart phone but Samsung sells a lot of phones like the Convey II and Rugby II. The non-smart phone market isn't completely gone and Samsung is a full phone line manufacturer.
I do not. I could probably find some if you really wanted. Samsung sells quite a few non-smart phones. I'll bet Nokia still does as well.

ETA: I've tried to be clear in what I am asserting. US & smart phone. This is getting off-topic at this point, I'm just a bit dumb-founded that someone can keep insisting that samsung doubles apple in US smartphone share.

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 15th September 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 15th September 2012, 07:23 PM   #159
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I do not. I could probably find some if you really wanted. Samsung sells quite a few non-smart phones. I'll bet Nokia still does as well.

ETA: I've tried to be clear in what I am asserting. US & smart phone. This is getting off-topic at this point, I'm just a bit dumb-founded that someone can keep insisting that samsung doubles apple in US smartphone share.
That's fine, I was honestly just curious.
Old 15th September 2012, 08:12 PM   #160
This is The End

I've tried to be clear in what I am asserting. US & smart phone. This is getting off-topic at this point, I'm just a bit dumb-founded that someone can keep insisting that samsung doubles apple in US smartphone share.
Wow.

I'm the one that brought this up. In post number three:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...39#post8611639

Anyway I wanted to check my numbers <snip>

Here's an article from 3 days ago. I was very nearly spot on:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/tech...-market-share/

Quote:
Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times the 17% market share held by Apple, according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC.

More specifically, IDC pegged Android's gain "directly" to Samsung, which represented 44% of all Android phones shipped during the quarter. That's more than the next seven Android vendors combined, IDC said. Samsung's Galaxy S III debuted late in the quarter to favorable reviews.

Which clearly shows that the top Samsung smart phones (at 30%) almost double the Apple smart phone market share (at 17%) worldwide.

If I missed you later moving the goalposts to US only, I apologize.

It wouldn't surprise me considering the straw attack you made against that post earlier in this thread. A goalpost move after that should be expected.

This is exactly like in a thread a year or two ago when it was being discussed that Apple is not even a player on the worldwide PC OS market. With PC market share of less than five percent, they weren't even included in most lists.

To which many Apple enthusiasts pleaded "Oh but in the US they have 10%!".

I suppose we should check the stats for Europe now?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet