IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags iPhone 5

Old 24th September 2012, 05:01 PM   #321
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Dark Lord View Post
I just searched for walking directions from Alacante to Valencia Spain on my phone to see what it said. The map looks the same as on that article. But the parts that supposedly have you walking over water actually have you taking fairies!
Or even ferries.

BTW, that's not walking.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 05:25 PM   #322
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

I just searched for walking directions from Alacante to Valencia Spain on my phone to see what it said. The map looks the same as on that article. But the parts that supposedly have you walking over water actually have you taking fairies!
You mean magical little people with wings, or is this some kind of gay slur?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 05:32 PM   #323
The Dark Lord

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Or even ferries.

BTW, that's not walking.

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
You mean magical little people with wings, or is this some kind of gay slur?
Lol.

If the worst thing they can show about Google maps is that it has you take a ferry part of the way on some absurdly long walking trip in Spain, it is pretty damn good.
The Dark Lord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 06:24 PM   #324
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

So I got to use the booth iPhone 5 today, and it's fairly nice. The screen is an improvement, although not as nice as I had hoped it was going to be. I still can't really use it one handed, I guess that's just how it is with a bigger hand.

I still dislike Safari to put it lightly. As far as I can tell, a substantial improvement but nothing to lure an Android user to switch. I'll have to use it more to have more substantive feedback.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2012, 06:51 PM   #325
merentha
Critical Thinker

If the worst thing they can show about Google maps is that it has you take a ferry part of the way on some absurdly long walking trip in Spain, it is pretty damn good.
Plus, Google maps did provide an alternate route for the extreme hiker who insists on walking all the way. The ferry connection was just one of the options.

As for the China map, Google map isn't too shoddy. It did point to the right spot, and at least almost (if not) all the minor roads did show up on the map, which is more than I can say about the large swaths of blanks in many examples of the Apple maps. That is, if the Apple maps were pointing to the right locations in the first place.

I'm surprised how people could try to spin this with "It's all right cos' the maps will get better". In the meantime, if users get lost, they should feel honoured to be given the privilege to help the most valuable company in the world fix its crappy maps. I could just see a legion of fanboys volunteering to trek around the world just to help fix the maps for free (or a priority queue at the next iDevice launch).
merentha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 01:58 AM   #326
This is The End

A couple new articles claiming Apple only sold 5 million of the 10 million iPhone 5s over the weekend. This backs up what Wildcat said earlier about there being plenty left available in the Chicago area.

Tough, keep in mind that Apple still claims insufficient supply was the problem...

I have a feeling they may have not allocated them correctly. Some places got too many, others got too few.

Both articles also opine on the labor blowup at the factory in China.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3643491.story

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/editor...er-3891070.php
Old 25th September 2012, 06:41 AM   #327
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
A couple new articles claiming Apple only sold 5 million of the 10 million iPhone 5s over the weekend.
Neither of the articles really claim what you just wrote:
...sales of the new iPhone 5 reached more than 5 million units in the three days it's been in stores.
Analysts had predicted sales as high as 10 million phones over the weekend.

What kind of mental somersaults did you have to do to turn that into "Apple only sold 5 million of the 10 million iPhone 5s" ? What 10 million ? The 10 million some random analyst predicted ?

This backs up what Wildcat said earlier about there being plenty left available in the Chicago area.
How exactly does it do that ?

Tough, keep in mind that Apple still claims insufficient supply was the problem...
And your evidence that is not true is what ? Be specific. I really hope it's more than because Wildcat claimed stores had not yet sold out.

While we have sold out of our initial supply, stores continue to receive iPhone 5 shipments regularly and customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date," Cook said. "We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough iPhone 5s for everyone."

Do you believe Tim Cook was lying ?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...iphone/iphone5

available to ship 3-4 weeks

I have a feeling they may have not allocated them correctly. Some places got too many, others got too few.
And what gives you that feeling ? Be specific.

Both articles also opine on the labor blowup at the factory in China.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3643491.story

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/editor...er-3891070.php
Yes, that is what opinion pieces do.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 06:48 AM   #328
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
So I got to use the booth iPhone 5 today, and it's fairly nice. The screen is an improvement, although not as nice as I had hoped it was going to be. I still can't really use it one handed, I guess that's just how it is with a bigger hand.

I still dislike Safari to put it lightly. As far as I can tell, a substantial improvement but nothing to lure an Android user to switch. I'll have to use it more to have more substantive feedback.
Just curious what's wrong with safari ? Both android and iphone browsers are all based on webkit ...
Old 25th September 2012, 07:28 AM   #329
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Just curious what's wrong with safari ? Both android and iphone browsers are all based on webkit ...
I don't like the layout, but that's a minor gripe. I really dislike that scrolling has no momentum. My thumb and fingers get tired getting to the bottom of JREF threads for example. Things on the screen are always too small and I'm using the edge of my pinky to try to hit things or I have to zoom in which exacerbates the no momentum in scrolling issue.

I would like Firefox if it were more consistent, but I'm really spoiled on Chrome on the newer Android units. I had the display of the Nexus 7 tablet in my back pocket whenever I was at work for the three weeks we had the display but no fixture to attach it too. Such great browsing.

It's the little things mostly.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 07:35 AM   #330
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I don't like the layout, but that's a minor gripe. I really dislike that scrolling has no momentum. My thumb and fingers get tired getting to the bottom of JREF threads for example. Things on the screen are always too small and I'm using the edge of my pinky to try to hit things or I have to zoom in which exacerbates the no momentum in scrolling issue.

I would like Firefox if it were more consistent, but I'm really spoiled on Chrome on the newer Android units. I had the display of the Nexus 7 tablet in my back pocket whenever I was at work for the three weeks we had the display but no fixture to attach it too. Such great browsing.

It's the little things mostly.
Fair enough.

There are other options, just so you know:
http://atomicwebbrowser.com/
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...obile/ios.html

I'm a big fan of chrome as well, but not used it extensively on iOS, I like atomic web browser for iOS, chrome for my windows computers.
Old 25th September 2012, 08:18 AM   #331
Vermonter
Graduate Poster

I've had mine since Friday (preorder) and so far I love it. Just got a new case for it too. Much lighter than my 3GS. Only issue is that Tetris doesn't always recognize my taps! The panoramic camera mode is pretty sweet, and the new earbuds are actually quite comfy; I don't have to keep adjusting them like I did with my Skullcandies or the old earbuds. If I had a 4 or 4S I wouldn't have upgraded, but I'm very happy with my new 5.
Vermonter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 08:31 AM   #332
richardm
Philosopher

Looks like there may be some cosmetic problems with the hardware too, with speculation that Apple might have to do a recall.

Quote:
If hundreds of consumer reports are to be believed, it seems that 30 to 40% of all iPhone 5s are arriving with scuff marks — damage to the sides and back of the case that range from minor abrasions, all the way through to nicks where the coating of the phone has been completely removed, exposing the aluminium chassis beneath.
Scuffgate doesn’t seem to be a localized issue: There have been lots of reports from the west coast of the US, of course, but users in Europe and Hong Kong are also reporting scuffed phones. The damage isn’t being caused by overzealous Apple fans, desperate to get their sterilized tentacles on the new iPhone, either: The scuffed iPhones are seemingly already damaged when they arrive, before anyone has had a chance to finger them aggressively.
It's the same problem that affected some versions of the iPod Nano, apparently. Of course that's less important on a Ł100 music player than a big, prominent flagship product. Perhaps there's something to be said for polycarbonate after all?
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 08:40 AM   #333
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough.

There are other options, just so you know:
http://atomicwebbrowser.com/
http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...obile/ios.html

I'm a big fan of chrome as well, but not used it extensively on iOS, I like atomic web browser for iOS, chrome for my windows computers.
I actually hadn't heard of atomic web browser before. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow when I'm working in wireless again. Thanks.
Old 25th September 2012, 08:45 AM   #334
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by richardm View Post
Perhaps there's something to be said for polycarbonate after all?
Having said that, it does seem to be surprisingly durable. Just a bit tatty.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 08:57 AM   #335
kajata
Illuminator

Looks like there may be some cosmetic problems with the hardware too, with speculation that Apple might have to do a recall.

It's the same problem that affected some versions of the iPod Nano, apparently. Of course that's less important on a Ł100 music player than a big, prominent flagship product. Perhaps there's something to be said for polycarbonate after all?
As an anodizer myself I'm very curious as to how these scratches are happening right out of the box. Most of our customers' parts are simply wrapped in plain newsprint and arrive without a scratch. And even though we have a modern shop with QC procedures up the wazoo (we're ISO and Nadcap certified) I'm sure it pales in comparison to whatever they have at Foxconn.
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 10:04 AM   #336
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

None available here in the Chicago suburbs, BTW, according to a coworker who has visited the Apple Store and also the Woodfield mall Verizon store.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:43 PM   #337
John Albert
Illuminator

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/w...or_an_iphone_5
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2012, 05:50 PM   #338
This is The End

recall.

Quote:
If hundreds of consumer reports are to be believed, it seems that 30 to 40% of all iPhone 5s are arriving with scuff marks — damage to the sides and back of the case that range from minor abrasions, all the way through to nicks where the coating of the phone has been completely removed, exposing the aluminium chassis beneath.
Hmmmmm, if it was really 1 out of every 3 iPhone 5s surely we would have heard about it before now?

This is just a guess, so no one attack me please:

Could those defects have anything to do with the discontent and then the riots at the factories? Or do those factories not make those specific parts and/or assemble parts that close to the final product.

ETA: Just saw this in the article:

Quote:
It is possible that the anodized coating is so soft that it’s being scuffed by Foxconn’s workers at the iPhone 5 production line in Taiyuan, China.

From the article several posts up:

Quote:
Making matters worse, a mass brawl on Monday between security guards and about 2,000 Chinese employees at an iPhone assembly plant in the northern Chinese city of Taiyuan shut down all assembly there.

Also, a ton of i5s with worse defects that were held back would explain why they only sold 5 million and not the projected 10 million, and the weird supply/demand issues.

Apple would surely be tight-lipped about it if that really happened.

ETA: And this:

Quote:
The problem with this answer, though, is that the phones wouldn’t pass quality assurance (QA) — unless QA itself was causing the scuff marks, or if the damage was caused after QA (perhaps as the phones are being boxed).

Let's say there were a ton of i5s with even worse defects. Eventually they would have to decide to let some of the lesser offenders through QA in order to not lower supply to even worse levels.

Now to get into CT: Apple complained and then the security put the smack down on the disgruntled workers. Of course they waited until launch day, so as not to have any bad press.

Last edited by This is The End; 25th September 2012 at 05:59 PM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 06:08 AM   #339
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Hmmmmm, if it was really 1 out of every 3 iPhone 5s surely we would have heard about it before now?

Could those defects have anything to do with the discontent and then the riots at the factories? Or do those factories not make those specific parts and/or assemble parts that close to the final product.
Just Asking Questions ?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88N00L20120924

...The cause of this dispute is under investigation by local authorities and we are working closely with them in this process, but it appears not to have been work-related," Foxconn said. Hon Hai said about 2,000 workers were involved.

Comments posted online, however, suggested security guards may have been to blame. In a posting on the Chinese Twitter-like microblog site Sina Weibo, user "Jo-Liang" said that four or five security guards beat a worker almost to death.
Foxconn does not confirm which of its plants supply Apple, but an employee told Reuters that the Taiyuan plant is among those that assemble and make parts for Apple's iPhone 5

Also, a ton of i5s with worse defects that were held back would explain why they only sold 5 million and not the projected 10 million, and the weird supply/demand issues.
Or it could be that the "projected 10 million" was a wildly incorrect number made up by an analyst that has zero insight into apples actual manufacturing capability ?

Also, still waiting for evidence od any "weird supply/demand issues"

Apple would surely be tight-lipped about it if that really happened.

ETA: And this

Let's say there were a ton of i5s with even worse defects. Eventually they would have to decide to let some of the lesser offenders through QA in order to not lower supply to even worse levels.

Now to get into CT: Apple complained and then the security put the smack down on the disgruntled workers. Of course they waited until launch day, so as not to have any bad press.
I think you crossed into CT land way earlier than you believe....
Old 26th September 2012, 09:31 AM   #340
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Agree completely. I wonder what went on behind the scenes that made someone look at the maps and say "yeah, we can ditch google now..."

I hope we get some insight into why the switch was made now.

OTOH, google may be ready release a maps app on iOS, so that at least fixes part of the problem if they do.
Information begins to come in about the maps issue ...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/34...e-maps-ios-app

Apple's decision to ship its own mapping system in the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 was made over a year before the company's agreement to use Google Maps expired, according to two independent sources familiar with the matter. The decision, made sometime before Apple's WWDC event in June, sent Google scrambling to develop an iOS Google Maps app — an app which both sources say is still incomplete and currently not scheduled to ship for several months.

Interesting.

I suspect ultimately this is a tempest in a teapot, and will not dissuade any discernible number of people from buying an iphone 5.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:40 AM   #341
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Its jsut one more smart phone nothing worht worrying about.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 10:11 AM   #342
megaresp
Muse

I suspect ultimately this is a tempest in a teapot, and will not dissuade any discernible number of people from buying an iphone 5.
Is 'one' a discernible number of people?

On seeing the specs for the iPhone 5 I decided to upgrade my 3Gs. Then I heard about the Apple Map problem and changed my mind.

I use Google Maps to find my way around London on a regular basis. Apple's decision to replace something awesome with something broken was a deal killer for me. I doubt I'm the only one.
Old 26th September 2012, 10:57 AM   #343
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
Is 'one' a discernible number of people?
Yes, poor word choice on my part. Literally discernible, yes. Should have said significant.

On seeing the specs for the iPhone 5 I decided to upgrade my 3Gs. Then I heard about the Apple Map problem and changed my mind.

I use Google Maps to find my way around London on a regular basis. Apple's decision to replace something awesome with something broken was a deal killer for me. I doubt I'm the only one.
Broken may be an overstatement. You can also still use the google maps in the browser, and google will be releasing their own app in a few months, or so it is rumored. There are also many other navigation applications.

I can't quite grasp/sympathize the position that apple changing that one app is really so bad as to keep someone from getting a new phone.
Old 26th September 2012, 11:40 AM   #344
megaresp
Muse

I can't quite grasp/sympathize the position that apple changing that one app is really so bad as to keep someone from getting a new phone.
How often do you use maps on your phone? I use the facility several times a weeks.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:17 PM   #345
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

How often do you use maps on your phone? I use the facility several times a weeks.
I guess occasionally would be an accurate description. I got rid of my GPS in the car and use the phone.

I'm not arguing that you are wrong to hold off or not upgrade. It's obviously personal preference. It's not that important to me, and I would have to weigh it against all the other costs/benefits.

If using free google maps as an app and not in the browser is a that important to you, then it is.

I don't know how 'wrong' apple maps is in my area. I guess when it gets everything all wrong, I may be irritated and not use it at that point.
Old 26th September 2012, 01:32 PM   #346
megaresp
Muse

If using free google maps as an app and not in the browser is a that important to you, then it is
I've heard this suggestion from a few different people now. Street view doesn't work in a browser on an iPhone, which makes the website version less useful. And its presentation isn't as usable as the dedicated app. And I don't think it can geolocate me as I move either (might be wrong about this). That's an incredibly handy function in the app because if you've just stepped out of a tube it can be difficult to work out exactly where you are. Take Old Street Tube (and I wish somebody would) for example.

I don't know how 'wrong' apple maps is in my area. I guess when it gets everything all wrong, I may be irritated and not use it at that point.
It's wrong enough that it can't be trusted as 'map with search engine' the way the Google Maps app can. If you're going to be somewhere you haven't been before you need to be confident the device is telling you the truth.

It's hard to overstate the usefulness of Street View too. Taking a virtual stroll down the destination street before you arrive, actually eyeballing the very building you need to find, and taking in useful landmarks (e.g. a park) makes it much easier to get to your destination. This only works at street level. A flyover isn't even close to the same thing so replaces something useful with fluff.

If the rumours are true then Apple is buying up every mapping person it can find. That's not surprising, I suppose. Maybe they'll have a worthwhile competitor to Google Maps by the time my 3Gs battery finally gives up the ghost. It's about to be 3 years old and still going strong, so maybe I don't need to do anything for a while.

Last edited by megaresp; 26th September 2012 at 01:37 PM.
megaresp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 03:56 PM   #347
This is The End

Just Asking Questions ?
Yeah that's what I meant by this:

Notice how TheL8Elvis attacks my post superfluously and attacks strawman instead of, oh IDK, maybe addressing the news richardm posted that I was discussing!

That's the last thing TheL8Elvis wants anyone to see.

------------------

J
Comments posted online, however, suggested security guards may have been to blame.

Check how TheL8Elvis highlights something that was already in the very post of mine that was being responded to. Clear evidence of not even reading the post.

Or it could be that the "projected 10 million" was a wildly incorrect number made up by an analyst that has zero insight into apples actual manufacturing capability ?

Also, still waiting for evidence od any "weird supply/demand issues"
Evidence for both has been posted multiple times in this thread. Especially the latter. Either you didn't read the thread at all or you read it with blinders on.
Old 26th September 2012, 05:36 PM   #348
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I got a notice from eBay I could bid on the 5 at many locations... lowest bid at the time was $1100, highest on the first page $2550.
At the AT&T store Mall, out the door today, $199.
What is wrong with people that they will pay 10 times what an object sells for?
Is there something about a call on the 5 that identifies the phone as the 5, so everyone can appreciate/envy the phone's owner?
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2012, 06:26 PM   #349
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Yeah that's what I meant by this:

Notice how TheL8Elvis attacks my post superfluously and attacks strawman instead of, oh IDK, maybe addressing the news richardm posted that I was discussing!

That's the last thing TheL8Elvis wants anyone to see.
This is about what you posted, not what I want anyone to see...

I addressed all the points in your post, I wish you had addressed any of my questions in this post

Yes, I have seen reports of scuffs. Maybe it's a legitimate issues, maybe not. Too early to tell from the anecdotal data going around.

I just find it bizarre that you think because an analyst said he expected apple to sell 10,000 iphones the first weekend that you think that number has any relationship to the number of iphones apple expected to sell, or actually did sell.

Do you have any evidence apple didn't sell every phone that they could manufacture ?

Would you also be so kind as to point out what straw man I attacked ?

Check how TheL8Elvis highlights something that was already in the very post of mine that was being responded to. Clear evidence of not even reading the post.
First of all, the text I hilited was from Reuters, not one of the article you linked to.
Second, you asked:
Quote:
Could those defects have anything to do with the discontent and then the riots at the factories?
Since the article you linked to says:
Originally Posted by sfgate
but employees are accusing the factory guards of beating up workers at the factory.
Originally Posted by reuters
Comments posted online, however, suggested security guards may have been to blame.
In light of that information, why would you be Just Asking Questions if maybe it had something to do with a totally unrelated subject ?

Evidence for both has been posted multiple times in this thread. Especially the latter. Either you didn't read the thread at all or you read it with blinders on.
You know you are flailing when you have to resort to telling me 'the evidence exists' instead of simply linking to it.

Please, link to said evidence ? Surely it's something other than Wildcats anecdotal evidence that the phones were still available in chicago ?
Old 26th September 2012, 07:10 PM   #350
This is The End

Nearly every single line in that post is just plain misinformed or a very poorly veiled attempt at obfuscation.

So either you literally didn't read half the posts in this thread which either contains information you claim hasn't been posted or is completely contradictory of your claims, or you are just trying to spin in circles to avoid actual facts.

So either read the thread and the articles linked again, and then have a second look at your posts, or if you are doing the latter, have fun.
Old 26th September 2012, 07:37 PM   #351
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Nearly every single line in that post is just plain misinformed or a very poorly veiled attempt at obfuscation.

So either you literally didn't read half the posts in this thread which either contains information you claim hasn't been posted or is completely contradictory of your claims, or you are just trying to spin in circles to avoid actual facts.

So either read the thread and the articles linked again, and then have a second look at your posts, or if you are doing the latter, have fun.
Again, flailing about telling me the evidence exists in the thread, but not actually linking to it or quoting it.

Here is the latest list of questions you dodged:
  • Do you have any evidence apple didn't sell every phone that they could manufacture ?
  • Would you also be so kind as to point out what straw man I attacked ?
  • In light of that information, why would you be Just Asking Questions if maybe it had something to do with a totally unrelated subject ?
  • Please, link to said evidence ? Surely it's something other than Wildcats anecdotal evidence that the phones were still available in chicago ?

If you aren't interested in discussing the facts, but want to Just Ask Questions, please just say so.
Old 26th September 2012, 07:40 PM   #352
This is The End

All of it is in this thread. Read it. I'm not going to do your work for you. Also your "list of questions" is absolutely pathetic. It's not even funny it's so sad.
Old 27th September 2012, 10:49 AM   #353
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I've heard this suggestion from a few different people now. Street view doesn't work in a browser on an iPhone, which makes the website version less useful. And its presentation isn't as usable as the dedicated app. And I don't think it can geolocate me as I move either (might be wrong about this). That's an incredibly handy function in the app because if you've just stepped out of a tube it can be difficult to work out exactly where you are. Take Old Street Tube (and I wish somebody would) for example.
Just FYI: According to Pogue " (In two weeks, you’ll be able to get Street View this way, too, says Google.) "

It's wrong enough that it can't be trusted as 'map with search engine' the way the Google Maps app can. If you're going to be somewhere you haven't been before you need to be confident the device is telling you the truth.

It's hard to overstate the usefulness of Street View too. Taking a virtual stroll down the destination street before you arrive, actually eyeballing the very building you need to find, and taking in useful landmarks (e.g. a park) makes it much easier to get to your destination. This only works at street level. A flyover isn't even close to the same thing so replaces something useful with fluff.

If the rumours are true then Apple is buying up every mapping person it can find. That's not surprising, I suppose. Maybe they'll have a worthwhile competitor to Google Maps by the time my 3Gs battery finally gives up the ghost. It's about to be 3 years old and still going strong, so maybe I don't need to do anything for a while.
Maybe. Gruber makes an interesting business case why Apple switched now. It doesn't help make the map app any better though.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:51 AM   #354
Jaxe
Thinker

Not quite that simple

Here's a great talk on browser performance that may explain a thing or two

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 27th September 2012, 12:51 PM   #355
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jaxe View Post
Not quite that simple

Here's a great talk on browser performance that may explain a thing or two
Thanks, good video, was a nice overview of a browser.

(and yes, to say webkit based is overly broad, but so is 'I hate safari' )
Old 28th September 2012, 06:58 AM   #356
kajata
Illuminator

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

Quote:
To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO
kajata is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 07:16 AM   #357
brodski
Tea-Time toad

I see Tim Cook claims that almost half a billion locations have been searched for. Have any been found yet?
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 07:20 AM   #358
kajata
Illuminator

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
I see Tim Cook claims that almost half a billion locations have been searched for. Have any been found yet?
Well, the app got me home with no problem so we can safely say at least one location has been found.

Will update total as required.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:52 AM   #359
roger
Penultimate Amazing

I'm impressed by Mr. Cook. No wiggling, no 'but we had to do it, it was the only way" and so on, just "we fell short."

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2012, 08:39 AM   #360
megaresp
Muse

Just FYI: According to Pogue " (In two weeks, you’ll be able to get Street View this way, too, says Google.)" ... Maybe. Gruber makes an interesting business case why Apple switched now. It doesn't help make the map app any better though.
Interesting articles - thanks for that TheL8Elvis. If street view is made available in mobile Safari it would help a lot.

ETA: I've been playing around with Google maps in mobile safari. It has improved a lot since I last looked at it a couple of years ago. And I note it has a popup nag that offers me a way to turn it into an icon - I guess for quick access.

I'm warming to the idea of upgrading to iPhone 5, especially now that Orange has switched me over to EE. If they do actually manage to launch 4G next month I guess my need for speed will override any remaining concerns about driving into the North Sea while trying to find the M4.

Whatever would I do without you TheL8Elvis? Now, how good are you at fighting zombies?

Last edited by megaresp; 28th September 2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Updating my post
megaresp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet